TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Amy Ace

Owen Hart's accident

Guest Amy Ace

I wrote a really good, informative post on Owen Hart's accident for another forum, and was wondering if anybody would be interested in me posting it here? Or have there been too many threads on the accident and Owen on here already? I dunno and just wanted to ask before I did anything since I haven't been here all that long.

Guest Amy Ace

OK, here it is-

I have done very extensive research on the death of Owen Hart, incited by my being a fan of his, and by my endeavor to one day write a book about him, and the Hart family. I was not there when it happened, but I did watch the events transpire live on PPV, and ever since have constantly been accuirering information that could help us understand what exactly happened to cause the fall, and Owen's subsequent death. I have every print article and court document pertaining to the fall and I have also spoken personally to very close friends of Owen, and people who witnessed the fall. So here's what I can tell you-

(Some of this information may be distrubing, if you are very sensitive, please don't read it.)

-There is no public video of the fall, or known photograph of Owen while falling. It is believed that the WWE has some rough footage of the arena during the incident that they either destroyed or "lost" before the court case.

- The best description of the event and all the things that hapened after it is in Martha Hart's (Owen's widow) book "Broken Harts".

- There WAS NOT foul play invovled in the fall. HOWEVER, there WAS gross NEGELGENCE on the part of the WWF and the independant rigging contractors they employed to corrordinate the stunt.

- The men who rigged the stunt for Owen were vastly under-qualified, and had no stunt coorindating certifications. They were local fisherman riggers, contracted by the WWF for that night only.

-Owen's stunt was very differant from the similar stunt being performed in WCW at the time with Sting. The WCW employed, full-time, one of the best Hollywood stunt coordinators to set-up and run Sting's stunts, and they used a differant rigging system, that included a guide/safety line.

- It is thought they WWF was trying to save money by not employing a Hollywood stunt coordinator, and using local independant coordinators.

- The man the WWF hired to set-up and run Owen's stunt had NO experience in stunt work, and was simply a former fisherman rigger, who was a stunt coordinator- wannabe. He had absolutly no credentials to perform the stunt.

- The WWF at no time prior to the stunt checked the man credentials, or his background in stunt work.

- The man went onto rig Owen, a 240lb. man, with a fishing boat carabiner, and a movement sensitive lach-release. Therefore, as soon as Owen stepped off the catwalk, the lach released and he fell.

-The carabiner could have never supported Owen's weight, even if a movement sensitve lach release wasn't used.

-The exact cause of the lach malfunction was either Owen merely stepping off the platform, or him simply slightly moving his arms when he just stepped off of the platform.

- While falling Owen screamed for the referee to get out of the way so he wouldn't land on him. Which was the last self-less act, of a truly great man.

- Owens death wasn't actually cause by the fall, but by his landing. He actually hit the metal turnbuckle, before he fell into the ring slunched over.

-Owen's head snapped-back when he hit the turnbuckle, and the impact was so great it caused his aorta to seperate from his heart, and therefore caused his heart to stop, which was the Kansas City coroner's listing as the exact cause of death.

- It is believed if Owen had landed straight on the mat, there would have been a greater chance of survival. And that he moved around in mid-air to try to avoid landing on the referee, and that is what caused him to hit the turnbuckle, and subsequently die.

-Jerry Lawler was the first person to reach Owen after he fell. When he got next to Owen his eyes were open, but lifeless. And there was gash torn in his arm, but it was not bleeding much, a sign that Owen's heart had stopped. Jerry craddled Owen in his arms as he started to turn from purple to blue to gray, while they waited for paramedics to arrive.

- There were NO EMT's onsite for the show, although WWF referees are required to have standard firstaid training, as does the WWE's road trainer.

-Backstage scrambled to called for paramedics, as none were onsite, but had been to the arena shortly before to deviler an amblulance that was to be used in a storyline during the PPV. The ambulence had left the arena shortly before the fall and raced back to legitimately be used on Owen.

- As EMT's raced to the ring, the crowd chanted "Owen,Owen" thinking it was part of the show. They soon would relized otherwise.

-Paramedics worked on Owen for 15 minutes in the ring, trying to resusitate him, they were unsuccessful.

- They continued CPR as they stretchered Owen backstage and into the ambulence, as the entire roster and company officials looked on.

- Vince McMahon made the call to continue the show, in his justification, because he "feared a riot if they didnt". Jeff Jarrett, Owen's tag team partner and real-life friend, was up next. He and his valet Debra, another real life friend of Owen's, made their way to the ring, past the bloodstained mat were Owen was just lying. After his match, Jarrett flagged down a Kansas City cop to take him to the hospital, ring gear and all.

- As the ambulance was rushing Owen to Truman Medial Center, it was simualtaneously appearing on the PPV in a time delayed skit, filmed earlier in the night.

- Shortly after 8:30 pm Owen was officially pronouced dead as all life-saving measures had failed.

- The show was still told to go on, as Vince McMahon called Owen's wife, and now widow, Martha to tell her what happened, Martha then called to tell Owen's parents.

- Owen Hart was 34, he left behind a 4 year old dughter, Athena, and a 8 year old son, Oje.

- Owen, actually did not want to do the stunt, as he was afraid of heights, and was just feeling useasy about the whole thing. But he didn't want to ask for them to change it, and get in the "doghouse" with WWF officials for making a fuss. As he had already asked to be taken out of a skit earlier in the week that would invovled him in a sexual situation with valet Sable, that Owen did not want his children, or his young fans to see. And so he went along with things.

-And in an ironic twist, Owen was actually scheduled to win the WWF Intercontinental title that night at the PPV.

- The Kansas City police department's invesigation did find neglegence on the part of the WWF and the rigger, however they didn't feel they had enough evidence to take to trial and get a conviction.

- Martha Hart, and Stu and Helen Hart (Owen's parents) launched a civil suit against the WWF for there neglegence, about 6 months after Owen's death. They where winning the trial, so the WWF copt to a multi-million dollar settlement, as long as the settlement details were kept sealed and they would not have to admit responsiblity.

- During perliminary arguements in the trial the WWF's attorney, Pittsburgh-based Jerry McDevitt made such arguments as Owen was the one who botched the stunt, and that the civil lawsuit was a ploy by Bret Hart (Owen's brother and former WWF champion) to get back at the WWF for the incidents that surrounded him leaving the compnay in 1997.

- In the end nobody was convicted for the neglegence surrounding Owen Hart's death. His wife went on raising her two children as a single mother, and establishing charitible works in memory of Owen. Due to the family turmoil after Owen's death Martha and her children do not associate with the Hart family, she also wants nothing more to do with pro wrestling. Martha refuses to have anything to do with the WWE, and will not consent to letting them induct Owen in their Hall of Fame. Martha went onto get her masters from the University of Calgary, Oje is now in middle school, and Athena in elementary.

-

As for me, through my personal admiration for Owen Hart, I have struck a friendship with one of Owen's best friends and his wife, a former WWF photographer who now runs a local dry cleaners in near-by Butler, PA. In 2001 he was gracious enough to personally introduce me to Owen's brother, and legendary wrestler Bret Hart. I hope to one day travel to Calgary, Alberta , Canada, Owen's hometown and the wrestling capital of the world and train to be a pro wrestler, as well as hopefully get the chance to pay my respects to Owen, personally.

I really hope my post has enlightened you to the truth of this tragic situation, and that it gives you more insight on not just Owen's death, but the type of extrodinary person he was.

- For more information on Owen and his tragic death I recommend the following books- "Broken Harts" by Martha Hart and "Sex, Lie, and Headlocks" by Shaun Assuel and Mike Mooneyham. Bret Hart can be reached at www.breathart.com. Also if you would like a good insight into what the WWF has like at the time, and a look at the Hart family check out the documentary "Hitman Hart: Wrestling with Shadows" which is availible on VHS through www.wrestlingsuperstore.com and www.amazon.com

While falling Owen screamed for the referee to get out of the way so he wouldn't land on him. Which was the last self-less act, of a truly great man.

I've heard this before, but still that's pretty remarkable. I can't imagine being in sound enough mind to even think of doing something like that in the same situation.

I hope to one day travel to Calgary, Alberta , Canada, Owen's hometown and the wrestling capital of the world and train to be a pro wrestler, as well as hopefully get the chance to pay my respects to Owen, personally.

That's actually on my To-Do list as well, sans the training part.

I hope to one day travel to Calgary, Alberta , Canada, Owen's hometown and the wrestling capital of the world and train to be a pro wrestler, as well as hopefully get the chance to pay my respects to Owen, personally.

That's actually on my To-Do list as well, sans the training part.

Just a note - the Harts do not train anymore. If you're still planning on training here, go to BJ's Gym and train with TJ Wilson, Harry Smith and other Stampede stars...or train with Lance Storm.

If you want a copy of Broken Harts the book, I will hook you up, but it's not leaving me for cheap as the book is in high demand.

She recommended the book and did all this research, so I'd assume she has it. Nice of you to try to find the perfect time to sell it though.

If you want a copy of Broken Harts the book, I will hook you up, but it's not leaving me for cheap as the book is in high demand.

She recommended the book and did all this research, so I'd assume she has it. Nice of you to try to find the perfect time to sell it though.

Don't be a hard ass.

Guest Amy Ace

Really? I found the book at a local Barnes and Nobles when it first came out. They still have a few copies there now. You can still get it online at many places from $10- $15 USD-

www.wrestlingsuperstore.com

www.amazon.com

www.bn.com

www.bordersstores.com

I was just going to say the same. I've read most of the book at B&N, and seen it there several times.

Yeah, the banned one was Under the Mat by Diana Hart. I sold it on ebay for $60 about 3 years ago. Don't know what it's going for now...

I am, of course, a noted Bret mark. I tried to read Under the Mat with as much open mindedness as possible, but I have extreme difficulty believing a lot of what she said.

She does, though, have some interesting stories about celebrities like Ali and such.

It was really banned? i got it for all of 4 dollars at Chapters around this time last year.

Guest Amy Ace

Diania's book "Under the Mat" was banned in the US due it being full of lies, but it was released and sold in Canada for a short amount of time.

I was there live, so I thought I would add my two cents about the actual fall itself.

Owen's fell occurred about 10 seconds after the Blue Blazer video package started playing. Some have said that he fell while they were showing a screen previewing the Godfather/Blazer match, because you can hear the crowd react. Well, the crowd DID react, but it was to the screen, because everyone knew the Godfather was coming out with the Ho's.

The arena was dark when the fall happened, because the video package was playing. The lights were brought back up as the now infamous interview with Owen talking about taking his vitamins and drinking his milk was happening.

Owen fell as the video package was playing. Something to the effect of "The World Needs the Blue Blazer BACK!" Well, right when "BACK!" was said, he hit the mat, because I can remember thinking the audio in the arena had screwed up. His landing was VERY loud, a large "CRACK!" went through the arena. I then looked into the ring, and saw Owen.

Meltzer said in the Owen A&E biography that he looked like he had done 100 situps, but couldn't do 101. That is EXACTLY what it looked like. Earl Hebner (I'm about 90% sure) was the ref, and he stopped, looked at Owen, then ran to the announce table side of the ring, yelling loudly and waving his arms at King and J.R. to get help.

It's sad, but I honestly thought it was all a joke, until I saw Owen moving. I thought it was a dummy, like when Sting would send a mannequin down to swerve the nWo before coming down himself.

Several people weren't sure who it was, because in the preceding months, there had been multiple Blue Blazers. I think Jarrett was one time, and Mo from Men on a Mission appeared as well. So no one knew for sure if it was Owen, or some jobber. Well, a woman sitting in front of me held up the match listing (Kemper Arena always printed their own match list for WWF shows), and it said "Godfather vs. Owen Hart" on it, so we all knew who it was at that point.

We saw a cop giving him CPR, and then it hit everyone: HE'S DEAD. We thought that perhaps he had broken his neck, or was paralyzed or something. Obviously not. This continued for about 15 minutes, and I thought that they had brought him back, because it didn't seem right to me to keep him in the ring if his heart had stopped. I thought they would get him to the hospital immediately. The fact that the show continued made me think he was OK.

Speaking of the show continuing, the OVERWHELMING feeling going through the crowd as they were stretchering him out was that the show was over. Several THOUSAND people left right after he was taken out. Some have said it was in disgust, but I disagree. It looked like the 4th quarter of a football game when it's been decided. And frankly, there would have been no riot. We all understood why they would cancel the show.

The show continued, and there was a very audible reaction from the crowd (just for a millisecond) when they showed Vince being loaded into an ambulance as part of a backstage skit about 30 minutes later. We then realized it wasn't Owen saying he was ok, and worried even more.

It's been said a million times, but no announcement was ever made live in the arena. J.R. talking while Owen was being worked on was shown on the video screens (complete with him making "he fell from the ceiling" motions) but there was no audio. No audio either after the King came back to the announce table. No audio for the Jarrett/Debra interview. We could see them both visibly upset. And, obviously no audio for when J.R. announced Owen had died. We saw it on the screen, and my gut told me what it was, because they were both on screen for a long time. Lots of people have criticized them for not saying anything to the live crowd, like they were trying to keep us hot for upcoming matches, and saying Owen had died would have sucked the life out of everything. Well, I understand why they did it. To hear J.R talking about Owen falling and how the paramedics were working on him AS it was happening, well, that would have been a little weird.

At the end of the event, the only thing announced was that tickets for the next house show would go on sale that Saturday.

Outside the arena, EVERYONE was talking about Owen. And no one knew what had happened. Kemper is notorious for having a terrible cell phone signal, so very few could call home and figure out what was going on.

My feeling is that it was a terrible accident, but just that, an ACCIDENT. Vince did not kill Owen. Yes, steps were not taken to ensure his safety, and Martha deserved every penny she got. But Vince McMahon is not a murderer.

Stu Harts Biography said something along the lines of Martha receiving 16 or 18 million and Stu and Helen receiving 2 million.

There's no point of even discussing the matter of Vince's culpability. I am agnostic, but part of me wishes there was a God so Vince could be rightfully punished for all the shit he did in his life, and that a fair amount of time could be allotted for him in the special assraping torture room during his eternity in hell just for what happened to Owen Hart.

- Owen, actually did not want to do the stunt, as he was afraid of heights, and was just feeling useasy about the whole thing. But he didn't want to ask for them to change it, and get in the "doghouse" with WWF officials for making a fuss. As he had already asked to be taken out of a skit earlier in the week that would invovled him in a sexual situation with valet Sable, that Owen did not want his children, or his young fans to see. And so he went along with things.

Good stuff, thanks for posting.

However, I thought it was an angle with Debra that Owen didn't want to do.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

The book is more or less a large collection of short stories of Hart family members, and people associated with the Harts. Diana Hart uses this opportunity to air out each and every one of their dirty secrets. Whether it be her family members, or virtually anybody she has ever come in contact with, with the exception of Vince McMahon, she has negative things to say about all of them. Diana's father, Stu, can't go a sentence without saying "Gaddamit," has misplaced priorities, and can't turn down a good deal. He owns approximately thirty Cadillacs, but resorts to the Salvation Army when getting his children clothes. This forced Bret to show up to school one day in thirty below weather wearing a pair of shorts. Bret is bitter as all hell at Vince McMahon, and wants to destroy him at the cost of the Hart family, to the point where he threatened to run Diana over with his car. Tom Billington, the Dynamite Kid is blamed for corrupting his cousin, and former tag team partner, Davey Boy Smith. Davey is a steroid abuser with an unsatisfiable sex drive that drugged Diana so he could anal rape her until she got hemorrhoids. Diana's mother, Helen, is an alcoholic that keeps saying "Dahling." Martha is a control freak, who likes to be victimized. Oddly enough, part of the point of the book is for Diana to make herself seem like the victim. Not even the dead are left unbashed by Diana. Owen, is described as being pussy-whipped, avoided confrontations, and didn't jump ship to WCW at Bret's request because of Martha. Not even the late great Andre the Giant got away from Diana Hart's sheer viciousness. He was described as being more interested in watching a stripper than in wrestling for her father.