TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

Top 100 NWA/WCW Matches (1982-2001)

First off,this list is only one mans' opinion and is not set in stone.My memory is not as good as it was with the wwf list.If a certain match is not on the list of 100 it is because I either didn't see it or don't remember anything about it.For example,I saw flair vs pilman and magnum vs nikita once.I saw them so long ago that I don't remember anything about them other than they are said to be good matches.Since I want to list everything according to the way I see it and not by overall popular opinion,they will not be listed.Also,there were tons of cruiserweight matches in the late 90s and many just feel the same.Because of that reason I listed the ones that I feel stood out above the rest.Having said all of that,I hope you enjoy my top 100 nwa/wcw matches of its last 20 years.

100. SCOTT STEINER VS GOLDBERG FALL BRAWL 2000

This is one you are left scratching your head on.Goldberg is a very limited wrestler.At this point in his career,so was scott steiner.It should make for another bad match in a bad year for wcw.Instead,we got a great power match that is way better than what you would expect.A fun match that is overlooked because of what else wcw had to offer that year.

99. ROAD WARRIARS VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS CROCKET CUP 87

The road warriars were rarely in a competitive match.They squashed all of their opponents.How does the midnight express deal with this ?By cheating every 10 seconds.These two teams had the only decent scaffold match I remember at starcade 86.This match is better than that.I loved the road warriars back in the day and this is a very fun match that is only hurt by it being a little too short.

98. GOLDBERG VS DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE HALLOWEEN HAVOC 98

The best match goldberg has ever been in.Page was known for mapping out every move in advance which is something that helped this match.I thought ddp was better than people gave him credit for and he pulled off a miracle against someone who up until that point hadn't wrestled a 15 minute match before.

97. JAMIE KNOBLE/EVAN KARAGIAS VS YUN YANG/KAZ HAYASHI 1/14/01

By this point,wcw was unofficially dead.What they did the last 3 months was give more time to the midcarders.If only they had done that 3 years earlier.The result was some pretty good matches.The matches between 3 count and the jung dragons were really good and this was the best of the bunch.

96. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS RICK RUDE/MANNY FERNANDEZ 12/86

This is not a title change but a match where the rock n roll express are challenging for the titles on a saturday night broadcast.This is the usual rock n roll tag formula greatness.Not as good as I would have expected but its still a nice 20+ minute old fashion tag match where we get to see ricky morton play,well,himself.

95. HOLLYWOOD BLONDES VS RIC FLAIR/ARN ANDERSON CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XXIII

This match is very overrated by some.I think this should have been much better than it was considering the four guys involved.Having said that,this is very good and you can't go wrong with these teams.The hollywood blondes were a great team but I think everyone already knew that.

94. DEAN MALENKO VS DISCO INFERNO BASH AT THE BEACH 96

I really liked this one for some reason.Malenko destroys disco for the first half of this match.Then disco,the comedy wrestler gets serious and turns it into a great match.Malenko was awesome as cruiserweight champion as he just went out there and had great matches against pretty much everyone.This was no exception.

93. REY MYSTERIO JR VS ULTIMO DRAGON WORLD WAR 3 96

This is another great but overrated match imo.I like both guys and this was another great cruiserweight match at a time when wcw was putting on great cruiserweight matches every week.I haven't seen this one in a while so maybe it deserves a higher rating.You be the judge.

92. CHRIS BENOIT VS DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE SUPERBRAWL 8

As I said above,ddp mapped out his entire matches ahead of time.He didn't need to do it here as benoit was up to the task of taking a pretty good page and having a great match.I really enjoyed any combination of benoit/page/raven at the time.In this case,benoit/page was a great pairing and something worth checking out.

91. RIC FLAIR VS DUSTY RHODES GREAT AMERICAN BASH 86

I was never a fan of dusty.He and flair had a ton of matches together,none of which I liked.This one was the best of the bunch as flair did an awesome carry job.Dusty was really feeling it since he was winning the belt in this match.

Hm, I'd say the Mysterio/Dragon WW3 is a bit overrated as well. It's pretty much a squash for Ultimo. Still deserves to be above DDP/Benoit, though. I would've probably had it in the 50's or 60's.

And I mark for the meniton of Malenko/Disco. That match is massively underrated. That's probably because is it's on the same card as Mysterio/Psychosis and the NWO forming 6-man, and I expect we'll be seeing both of those waaaay higher on the list.

90. RIC FLAIR VS RONNIE GARVIN 2/2/86

Whenever these two went against each other,the matches were stiff.It was a contest to see who can throw the better chop.If you've never seen flair/garvin,picture valentine/garvin from the wwf and multiply the match quality by 5.This was their best match in the series imo.

89. STING VS DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE 4/26/99

This was a shock.Wcw decided to have a world title match on nitro half way through the show.The match went 20+ minutes and sting won the belt.They screwed it up at the end by having a four way match and giving the title back to page but that is another story.The best match sting had in years.

88. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS TULLY BLANCHARD STARCADE 84

This is a very good match that could have been so much better.The match suffers from being too short imo.It's still steamboat and blanchard though so what's not to like.

87. CHRIS BENOIT VS RAVEN SOULED OUT 98

Raven was so underrated.Benoit destroys raven in this match.It's a 10 minute streetfight with no resting and the usual stiff chairshots.Very effective for what it was.

86. DOOM VS ARN ANDERSON/BARRY WINDHAM STARCADE 90

Speaking of streetfights,This is about as wild of a 7 minute match that you will find.It is short but it was meant to be short.Doom was a decent team and the horsemen were the horsemen.Worth tracking down.

Guest TheJuice31

This is one you are left scratching your head on.Goldberg is a very limited wrestler.At this point in his career,so was scott steiner.It should make for another bad match in a bad year for wcw.Instead,we got a great power match that is way better than what you would expect.A fun match that is overlooked because of what else wcw had to offer that year.

Go on...

Go on...

What I meant was 2000 was such a horrible year that steiner/goldberg is lost in the shuffle because the entire year is remembered as garbage and ritefully so.

Unlike the wwf 100 where for the most part,people agreed on the top matches,this list will be different.It all depends on what you like to watch.I expect more disagreeing here because some like the old school crocket days and like like the mid 90s cruiserweight stuff.

Guest TheJuice31

My bad, I interpreted it in the context that you meant that there was so much good stuff in WCW 2000 that Steiner/Goldberg got lost in the shuffle, but it would be wrong to joke about that.

85. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS GREAT AMERICAN BASH 87

What can you say.Its the midnights and rock n rolls.It is tag team formula wrestling at its best.The midnight express were a perfect heel team and ricky morton was the best face in peril.

84. STEVE AUSTIN VS RICKY STEAMBOAT BASH AT THE BEACH 94

This one is forgotten about.These two wrestled each other a hundred times in wcw and they were always good matches.This is no exceptionIt is on one of the austin dvds and is worth checking out.

83. CHRIS JERICHO VS ULTIMO DRAGON BASH AT THE BEACH 97

Another great cruiserweight match at a time when they had a deep roster of cruiserweights and they could draw two names out of a hat and they would prabably have a *** match or higher.Jericho is great.Ultimo is great.And this match is great.

82. CHRIS BENOIT/DEAN MALENKO VS BILLY KIDMAN/REY MYSTERIO VS RAVEN/PERRY SATURN SLAMBOREE 99

This was a pretty good fued between the 3 teams while it lasted.No,its not as good as the match the previous month but its still a very good match.3 way matches are tough to pull off and I think they do a good job here.

81. RICKY STEAMBOAT/SHANE DOUGLAS VS BRIAN PILMAN/BARRY WINDHAM STARCADE 92

A match that gets lost in the shuffle in a great year wrestling wise and a bad year financial wise.Bill watts gets a bad rap but he at least got the most out of his wrestlers.I like this match more than any of the matches steamboat/shane had with the hollywood blondes.Pilman and windham make a great combination.Heel pilman was always awesome.

80. REY MYSTERIO VS BILLY KIDMAN VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA STARCADE 98

Any combination of these three usually means a great match and this is no exception.An amazing opener to a ppv that went downhill after that.Kidman would win and go on to face eddy right after this match which was a good match on its own.

79. CHRIS BENOIT VS CHRIS JERICHO FALL BRAWL 96

People forget about this match because of the matches they had in wwf.This is a great match on an underrated ppv.It's benoit and jericho.What's not to like.

78. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS VS BRIAN PILMAN/TOM ZENK CAPITOL COMBAT 90

This was the last year of the midnight express and they went out with a bang.I don't think they had a meaningful match that year under ***1/2.This was great stuff.The usual cheating like crazy and the babyfaces trying to make the superman comeback.Great tag team wrestling.

77. STEVE AUSTIN VS RICKY STEAMBOAT CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XXVIII

This was steamboats' last match.He makes it count.I liked this more than the ppv match they had a month earlier.For all the times these two wrestled each other,I don't remember them ever having a bad match.Steamboat won the U.S. title here.Unfortunately,he never got to defend it.

76. RIC FLAIR VS ARN ANDERSON FALL BRAWL 95

This is a guilty pleasure match for me.It's not as good as it should have been but I still love it.Mind games from both in this one.Flairs' last great match imo.Pilman interferes at the end which starts one of my favorite heel characters.

Since we are a quarter of the way through,what are your thoughts ?What should be higher ? What shouldn't have made the list ? What are you hoping will be ranked high or not so high ? I might post more tonight but prabably not til tomorrow.

I think the list is solid so far. Admittedly, I haven't seen as much 80's stuff as I have from the 90's, but still no major complaints. Jericho/Ultimo is a match I didn't expect to see on here, but I'm glad it is.

75. RAVEN VS CHRIS BENOIT VS DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE UNCENSORED 98

After benoit/raven and benoit/ddp this was the next step.This is much better than the two singles matches.A really cool streetfight that is worth checking out.

74. STEINERS VS NASTY BOYS HALLOWEEN HAVOC 90

You can prabably count the number of good matches the nastys had on one hand.This was one of them.Very underrated match here.The nasty boys were always stiff workers and the steiners can play that game as good as anyone.In someone's shoot interview,it was said that the nastys had interest from the wwf at this time and they wanted to impress them.It showed in this match.

73. BARRY WINDHAM VS 2 COLD SCORPIO CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XXIII

This is overlooked.It is a great example of the veteran against the rookie.Scorpio was great back then and windham was always great.The main event of this show gets all of the attention but this is the better match.

72. RICKY STEAMBOAT/JAY YOUNGBLOOD VS THE BRISCOS STARCADE 83

I always liked this one.A great old school tag match.You have three awesome workers in there.This one deserved 30 minutes but they made the most out of the time they had.

71. RIC FLAIR VS VADER STARCADE 93

I'm sure some will question why this isn't in the top 20.I don't think it is that good.It is still a great match but not one that lives up to the hype.I always prefered heel flair.Vader was at the top of his game in wcw from 92-94.He destroys flair for much of this match which is cool to see.I will give it one thing,this is not the typical flair formula match.

70. CHRIS JERICHO VS EDDY GUERRERRO FALL BRAWL 97

At the time,these two could have a *** match in their sleep.This is on the eddy dvd.Just another example of the great cruiserweight matches going on at the time.

69. WARGAMES GREAT AMERICAN BASH 89

So it's not as good as some of the other wargames matches.It doesn't mean it's not a great wargames.This one is lost in the shuffle because of some of the other wargames and because of the stacked card on that ppv.Hey,it's wargames.What's not to like.

68. VADER VS CACTUS JACK HALLOWEEN HAVOC 93

Foley is the king of the streetfight matches.It also plays to vaders' strengths.While it's not the best match in their series,it is stiff and violent.While the angle to this fued sucked,the matches were great.

67. RODDY PIPER VS GREG VALENTINE STARCADE 83

Valentine was so underrated.Imo he was a poor mans' ric flair.Brutally stiff match here.It is a little slow,otherwise it would've been higher.

66. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS VS ARN ANDERSON/TULLY BLANCHARD 9/88

This was tully and arns' last match in the nwa before going to wwf.This is only available on handheld.Great stuff here.These two teams could have had a great fued.At least they gave us one great match.Worth checking out if you can find it.

65. RIC FLAIR/BARRY WINDHAM VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS CLASH OF CHAMPIONS IV

The midnight express were my favorite tag team.Flair was in his prime.Windham was also at his best around this time.The result is obviously a great match.

64. REY MYSTERIO VS DEAN MALENKO GREAT AMERICAN BASH 96

Reys' wcw debut.I liked the rey/dean series.Malenko was a perfect representative of the cruiserweight title.He put on ***+ matches every time he was in the ring.This was the best match in their series imo.

63. CHRIS BENOIT VS 2 COLD SCORPIO SUPERBRAWL 3

This was before everyone knew how awesome benoit was.Scorpio was also underrated at the time.These two usually had ***1/2 matches or higher with each other.This was no exception.

62. BRIAN PILMAN VS JOHNNY B BADD FALL BRAWL 95

This match doesn't get enough love.This was the start of the pilman heel turn as he starts going heel during the match.Mero was pretty good when he wanted to be.This was his best match.They get alot of time to put together a great match.

61. EDDY GUERRERRO VS OHTANI STARCADE 95

This entire ppv was ahead of its time.A real japan like match.This is another match that doesn't get enough love.Great stuff even if you don't get into new japan wrestling.

60. DEAN MALENKO VS ULTIMO DRAGON CLASH OF CHAMPIONS 1/97

This one isn't talked about enough.I like it more than their starcade match.They had a handful of matches around this time and they were all good.This was the best in the series.

59. RIC FLAIR VS RICKY STEAMBOAT NIGHT OF CHAMPIONS 5/84

This one is forgotten about by some.It's not as good as their 89 series but it's still flair/steamboat and an awesome match.They can have a **** match in their sleep.

58. RIC FLAIR VS LEX LUGER WRESTLEWAR 90

Flair did a great job at the time of making people believe luger was a good wrestler.Most times flair went against luger,it was automatic ***1/2 or higher.This was no exception.

57. STEINERS VS MIRACLE VIOLENCE CONNECTION CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XIX

Better than the ppv match they had the same month.They go a quicker pace since they have a shorter match.The match is better because of it.The steiners were awesome at the time.

56. DUSTIN RHODES/BARRY WINDHAM VS STEVE AUSTIN/LARRY ZBYSKO SUPERBRAWL 2

Very underrated tag match.The bill watts era didn't make any money but it produced some great wrestling.One of the only zbysko matches I liked.

Interesting call on Malenko/Dragon. I liked the Starrcade match better myself, but it's good to see the Clash match getting some respect. They also had another quality match on Nitro around this time, though it was slightly marred by a DQ finish.

56. DUSTIN RHODES/BARRY WINDHAM VS STEVE AUSTIN/LARRY ZBYSKO SUPERBRAWL 2

Very underrated tag match.The bill watts era didn't make any money but it produced some great wrestling.One of the only zbysko matches I liked.

That was in the Kip Frey era, Watts came in Around April/May.

55. REY MYSTERIO VS PSYCHOSIS VS BLITZKREIG VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA 4/19/99

Many have prabably forgotten about this match.For the few matches blitzkreig was in,he delivered.One of the best lucha matches wcw gave us.Nonstop for 20 minutes.Awesome stuff for a tv match.

54. BLITZKREIG VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA SPRING STAMPEDE 99

Wcw was rapidly declining in 1999 but this ppv was one of the few bright spots.This was the opening match and it was as good as you could hope for.Juvi was great back then.I have to mention the awesome finisher as juvi gives blitzkreig a juvi driver from the top rope.

53. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS LEX LUGER GREAT AMERICAN BASH 89

This was lugers' best singles match with someone not named flair.Steamboat was great at getting the best out of his opponents.Another great match on a ppv that was full of them.

52. DUSTIN RHODES/BARRY WINDHAM VS MIRACLE VIOLENCE CONNECTION 9/92

I'm unsure of the exact date.This is way better than their ppv match from the tag tournament.Too bad williams/gordy didn't stay with wcw.This was a 40 minute title match that few have seen/remember.Dustin/windham win the belts here.Great tag match.

51. STEINERS VS TATSUMI FUJINAMI/TAKAYUKI IIZUKA WRESTLEWAR 92

Speaking of great tag matches,the steiners go all japan on the japanese team.This was all japan level stiffness in this match.It is a prolonged squash match for the steiners and they do it with style.I know the main event of this ppv is talked about but check this match out too because it is a really fun match.

What is everyones opinions on the first half of the list ?What should have been ranked higher/lower.What are you expecting/hoping to be ranked high ?I will post more tomorrow.While most knew what thee wcw list.

No complaints with the list so far. Maybe rank Ultimo/Rey a little higher, but that's no biggie.

As for matches I hope to see:

Top 5: Eddie/Rey (HH 97), Luger/Sting/Savage vs. Outsiders/Mystery Partner (BATB 96)

Top 10: Rey/Psychosis (BATB 96)

Top 20: Malenko/Benoit (Hog Wild 96), Malenko/Eddie (Uncensored 97), Malenko/Rey (GAB 96), Steamboat/Rude (Beach Blast 92)

Top 50 : Wargames 96, Mysterio/Calo (Fall Brawl 96), Horsemen vs. Raven/Saturn (Spring Stampede 99)

I've tried to check out most of the big matches people talk about from those times. I'm just not too into the 80's style of wrestling, probably because I'm not nostalgic to it. I didn't get into the Flair/Steamboat matches I saw, even though everyone says they're great. Fundamentally speaking, yes they are, but I just wasn't feeling them personally.

There are some other older matches I'd actually like to see in the top 50. Wargames 91/92, Sting/Vader from SB 3, and Sting/Luger vs. Steiners were all good. Although, I still like the mid-90's style better. Just personal preference.

50. DEAN MALENKO VS EDDY GUERRERRO UNCENSORED 97

This is not as good as their ecw matches but it's still great stuff.Whenever dean/eddy were in there,it was going to be a good match.I didn't like the ending but it's a minor fault.

49. RIC FLAIR VS BUTCH REED 8/9/85

Ok,so I am cheating.This may technically be a mid south match but it involves the nwa champion so I am including it.Classic case of flair taking an average worker in butch reed and making him look like a million bucks.This was a 60 minute broadway and a good one.Flair was at his best around this time.

48. RIC FLAIR VS TERRY TAYLOR 6/85

Just like the previous match,since it involves the nwa champion,I am using it.This is available on some tape that I saw.Too bad taylor is remembered for beeing the rooster because he was a good wrestler.The usual great 40 minute match from flair.

47. ENFORCERS VS RICKY STEAMBOAT/DUSTIN RHODES CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XVII

This was steamboats' return match.I like the strategy the enforcers use.Work on steamboat since he is rusty and leave the rookie dustin on the apron.That way if steamboat makes the hot tag,they can let dustin make a mistake.They still lost the match but I thought it was something different.Arn/larry were a good team while they were together.

46. STING VS VADER SUPERBRAWL 3

I don't think this is the best in their series like most do but it doesn't matter.Whenever there was a sting/vader match,it was likely to get match of the night honors.They never had a bad match.This is also the best strap match I can remember seeing.

Please do top 100 ECW next, or top 50 if there's not as much material. I wish I could comment on this list but I've seen next to nothing on it. Started watching WCW in mid 97 and didn't order many WCW PPVs. I like reading it though.

Someone should make a DVD of all these matches.

I guess all I expect is more Sting-Vader. You have the strap match, but there is still the title switch from the GAB, the King of Cable match from Starrcade, and one I've always felt was underrated, the Fall Brawl 94 triangle match with Sting, Vader, and the Boss(or was he Bubba at that point?).