TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

Top 100 NWA/WCW Matches (1982-2001)

48. RIC FLAIR VS TERRY TAYLOR 6/85

Just like the previous match,since it involves the nwa champion,I am using it.This is available on some tape that I saw.Too bad taylor is remembered for beeing the rooster because he was a good wrestler.The usual great 40 minute match from flair.

Super Clash with Sgt. Slaughter as the host?

Guest OSIcon

Some thoughts:

100. SCOTT STEINER VS GOLDBERG FALL BRAWL 2000

Scott Steiner had a really good run as champion for the last six months that WCW was around. In addition to this match, he had a good match with DDP in March 2001, a solid match against Booker on the last Nitro (when Steiner's back was completely messed up), watcahble matches against Nash and Sid, and some alright TV stuff. He gets shit on for his bad WWE run but at a time when WCW was hurting and Steiner's back was messed up, he really came through big.

98. GOLDBERG VS DIAMOND DALLAS PAGE HALLOWEEN HAVOC 98

I probably would have put this a higher. People downplay the match when they praise it by saying "Goldberg's best match ever". It is more than that and probably my American match of the year for '98. At the very least, the best heavyweight match in America from '98. The whole arm injury to Golbderg and DDP hitting the Diamond Cutter was done perfectly. It really felt like a heavyweight title fight with everything on the line. There are at least a dozen+ matches ahead of this that I don't think are better. As far as DDP matches go, this was better than the Sting/DDP Nitro match. Some of the Jericho matches higher on the list also stick out as not being as good.

95. HOLLYWOOD BLONDES VS RIC FLAIR/ARN ANDERSON CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XXIII

Agreed on this being overrated. It might not be top 100 for me.

80. REY MYSTERIO VS BILLY KIDMAN VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA STARCADE 98

This gets overlooked a lot as one of the better three ways of all time. Three way matches tend to suck, but this was really fun. It still had some of the flaws that all 3-ways do, but still worked.

70. CHRIS JERICHO VS EDDY GUERRERRO FALL BRAWL 97

A little bit high for me. Not sure it would be in my top 100.

55. REY MYSTERIO VS PSYCHOSIS VS BLITZKREIG VS JUVENTUD GUERRERA 4/19/99

WCW had so much good stuff on TV that it is hard to place this four way above dozens of other good TV matches in the 90's. I really liked it at the time, though I don't think it was better than the Starrcade three way.

ENFORCERS VS RICKY STEAMBOAT/DUSTIN RHODES CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XVII

Great tag. I'd probably have it a little higher (in the thirties).

46. STING VS VADER SUPERBRAWL 3

Either the strap match or the GAB '92 match is my favorite of their series. It changes everytime I watch them. Watch makes this strap match so good is that they don't let it get in the way. Sting and Vader have their normal match with a handful of strap spots to really enhance it. This and the GAB match would both be higher on my list.

45. CHRIS BENOIT VS EDDY GUERRERRO 10/16/95

This is on the benoit dvd.I didn't see the big deal about their japan matches.This however,was a surprise to me.Non stop for 15 minutes.This was in the early stages of nitro where they let two of their new wrestlers go out and put on a show.Awesome stuff here and no I don't think it's ranked too high.

44. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS THE ANDERSONS STARCADE 86

This is classic ricky morton here as the andersons destroy him for 20 minutes.I never liked ole but I love arn.One of the better rock n roll express matches I've seen.

43. TERRY FUNK VS RICKY STEAMBOAT CLASH OF CHAMPIONS VII

This was when funk could still wrestle without the whole match being a brawl.This is forgotten about because of the matches both had with flair that year.Steamboat was at his best in 89 and funk was great also.This is worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

42. VADER/STEVE AUSTIN VS RIC FLAIR/ARN ANDERSON 11/93

I'll bet not many have seen this one.Arn replaced sid in this match and thank god for that.This is a rare match and prabably very tough to find.It's from a 11/93 edition of the saturday night show.Vader/Austin prove to be a good combination.I like all 4 guys and it is 45 minutes of great tag wrestling.

41. RIC FLAIR VS RICKY STEAMBOAT SPRING STAMPEDE 94

Most people don't like this match.I thought it was great.It's not as good as their classics but it's still flair/steamboat and still better than most of what wcw was offering.Weird ending but it doesn't take much away from the match.I saw this before seeing any of their 89 stuff.I thought it was great then and seeing the 89 matches didn't change my opinion on this.

40. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS 2/2/86

Whenever people talk about great tag matches they compare them to these two teams.This is eaton/condrey.I prefer eaton/lane but it doesn't matter.This is great stuff regardless.

39. BRET HART VS CHRIS BENOIT 10/4/99

If not for this match,you prabably wouldn't remember that bret was in wcw.Bret said he wanted the match to go an hour and bischoff said no.Even at a half hour it is possibly the best match ever on nitro.

38. CHRIS BENOIT/DEAN MALENKO VS RAVEN/SATURN SPRING STAMPEDE 99

Benoit/malenko made a great heel team.As I've said before,raven was underrated in wcw.This has always been a favorite of mine.

37. BRIAN PILMAN VS JUSHIN LIGER SUPERBRAWL 2

Everyone made a huge deal out of this match at the time.It isn't THAT good since I don't think it's the best match between the two.As long as you don't set the expectations too high,you will love this match.A new japan type match in the U.S.People who didn't know liger before this match were impressed immediately.One of the best openers to a ppv you will find.

36. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS WRESTLEWAR 90

The guys putting on the best matches in 1990 were the midnight express.These two teams wrestled each other a million times and this was my favorite.

38. CHRIS BENOIT/DEAN MALENKO VS RAVEN/SATURN SPRING STAMPEDE 99

Benoit/malenko made a great heel team.As I've said before,raven was underrated in wcw.This has always been a favorite of mine.

Nice to see this get a decent placing. It's a personal favourite of mine. A great tag match.

96. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS RICK RUDE/MANNY FERNANDEZ 12/86

Check out their 2/27/87 match from Worldwide. Much better than this, which I also liked. Rick Rude was perfect in working with such over babyfaces like the RnR Express.

86. DOOM VS ARN ANDERSON/BARRY WINDHAM STARCADE 90

This is an amazing match and would easily make my top5 under 10 minute matches of all time. Streetfight rules, without garbage like ECW and WWF (and Russo WCW) would produce. Lots of crowd heat to, for an average mid card match.

81. RICKY STEAMBOAT/SHANE DOUGLAS VS BRIAN PILMAN/BARRY WINDHAM STARCADE 92

This should be WAY higher. Top 20. Pillman/Windham make Shane Douglas look great and then beat him up with all sorts of great moves, cheating, etc.

73. BARRY WINDHAM VS 2 COLD SCORPIO CLASH OF CHAMPIONS XXIII

Should be much higher again. The US prototype of Veteran vs. Up and Coming Youngster. Fuck HHH/Taka for a match that is supposed to elevate a younger, lower ranked opponent.

45. CHRIS BENOIT VS EDDY GUERRERRO 10/16/95

I like this so much more than their 11/18/95 WCWSN re-match. I also think their 10/20/97 Nitro match is better than the 11/18 match. Those were the days...

40. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS MIDNIGHT EXPRESS 2/2/86

Bah. Their 4/12/86 match that aired on World Pro Wrestling in Japan (and easily available) blows this away. Also blows away the WrestleWar 1990 match.

More later if I have time.

Nice list, enjoy it having explanations instead of just being a numerical list.

Tim

35. RIC FLAIR VS BRUISER BRODY 2/11/83

Well,this is a very rare match that not many have seen.If I remember correctly,this is a 60 minute draw.Someone said brody was going to make sure he didn't have the same kind of match flair had with everyone else.He didn't and the match stood out because of it.Highly recommended if you can find it.

34. STING VS CACTUS JACK BEACH BLAST 92

Foleys' fued with sting got him noticed.Before this he had an awesome indy fued with eddie gilbert but few saw it at the time.This was great stuff on a great ppv.Wild match here as it's falls count anywhere.Just the way cactus likes it.There's something about mick foley and street fights that just go together.

33. CHRIS BENOIT VS KEVIN SULLIVAN GREAT AMERICAN BASH 96

Yea,it's the bathroom brawl.This gets tons of points for being original.This may not be the technical 5 star classic,but it's tons of fun and one I can watch over and over.They are really stiff here.Pretty cool at the ende where benoit pound sullivan after the match.Arn stops him and decides,NO,let me kick him.I will add that we get the famous quote from dusty "There's a lady in the mens bathroon.There's a woman in the john right here at great american bash."

32. STING VS VADER GREAT AMERICAN BASH 92

This is my favorite in the series.I didn't know about vader before wcw so I was expecting a win by sting here.Instead we got a classic vader squash.Sting put vader over huge in this match and vader was a made man afterwards.Highly recommended.

31. RIC FLAIR VS RICKY STEAMBOAT 5/14/94

IMO,the best match ever held on wcw saturday night.I miss the days of 45 minute tv matches just for the hell of it with guys who can keep it interesting for that long.There matches in 94 have a bad name because of their 89 series.If you don't judge and compare them to those matches,what is left is an awesome tv match between two guys who wanted to have one last great match together.Classic stuff here.

I'm shedding many tears for Benoit vs. Bret and Liger vs. Pillman being so low. I'd confidently put them both top 15 for the 90's and probably top 25 for the time period listed, especially the former.

I'm shedding many tears for Benoit vs. Bret and Liger vs. Pillman being so low. I'd confidently put them both top 15 for the 90's and probably top 25 for the time period listed, especially the former.

I could go into detail about the placement of those matches but I don't want to give away what is ahead.

I was either going to do an ecw list next or I was thinking of doing a list of the top U.S. fueds of the last 20 years.What would be better ?

I'd have put Guerrero-Ohtani higher on the list. It was a great match on an otherwise lackluster PPV. Also would rank Flair-Anderson from Fall Brawl a bit higher as well...it had everything that makes a great match...storyline, history, psychology, etc.

Otherwise...good list. I'm hoping that Steiner-Muta from '92, Tully-Magnum, and at least two of Flair-Steamboat's battles from early '89 better be in the top 20.

Unfortunately chaosrage,There isn't enough ecw matches I liked to even do a top 50.I will be doing a top 50 wwf/e fueds of the last 20 years when I'm done with this list.Any thoughts on fueds that should be included other than the obvious ones ?

Unfortunately chaosrage,There isn't enough ecw matches I liked to even do a top 50.I will be doing a top 50 wwf/e fueds of the last 20 years when I'm done with this list.Any thoughts on fueds that should be included other than the obvious ones ?

good choice

How's about a top 40? I could probably come up with 50 good ECW matches. At least 15 probably involving RVD. Maybe 5 Guerrero/Malenko matches. Some Mysterio/Psicosis. The 6 man from Barely Legal. Mike Awesome/Tatanka. Jerry Lynn/Tajiri. Jerry Lynn/Corino. Super Crazy/Tajiri/Little Guido. Al Snow/Benoit. Benoit/Malenko vs Taz/Sabu. Scorpio/Sabu. That's just off the top of my head. It doesn't sound that challenging.

How's about a top 40? I could probably come up with 50 good ECW matches. At least 15 probably involving RVD. Maybe 5 Guerrero/Malenko matches. Some Mysterio/Psicosis. The 6 man from Barely Legal. Mike Awesome/Tatanka. Jerry Lynn/Tajiri. Jerry Lynn/Corino. Super Crazy/Tajiri/Little Guido. Al Snow/Benoit. Benoit/Malenko vs Taz/Sabu. Scorpio/Sabu. That's just off the top of my head. It doesn't sound that challenging.

Terry Funk vs. Raven

Definitely at least one Raven-Dreamer or Raven-Sandman match

Shane Douglas vs. Scorpio vs. Chris Jericho vs. Pitbull #2...fatal 4-way for the ECW TV title, lasted 40 minutes and also important that it was the night "The Franchise" was born in ECW when Francine turned on Pitbull and joined with Douglas.

Shane vs. Taz in Jan. 99 when Taz won the ECW World title...also Taz-Sabu from Living Dangerously '99 as well.

I will be doing the best wwf/e fueds list next,then the ecw list since I have the first one put together already.

30. EDDY GUERRERRO VS REY MYSTERIO HALLOWEEN HAVOC 97

I get the feeling alot of people just read the match placement for this match and turned off their pc's in disgust.I loved this match.It was great stuff.It wasn't however,one of the greatest matches of all time imo.The ending was too predictable also.Still,this is an easy recommendation and something everyone would prabably like.

29. REY MYSTERIO VS PSYCHOSIS BASH AT THE BEACH 96

You read that right.I like this more than the match above.This is the first time I ever saw a rey mysterio match.Unbelievable stuff.This is on par with rey/eddy imo When I saw the finish to rey/eddy I said "hey,they took that from rey/psychosis".The second best ppv opener ever.

28. CHRIS BENOIT VS DEAN MALENKO HOG WILD 96

This was the crowd from hell.I don't see how you can't appreciate the wrestling in this match.I've seen benoit/malenko from japan and wasn't impressed.This was a 30 minute technical classic.Bad ending and no crowd heat hurt it a bit but that is the only fault I have with the match.

27. STEINERS VS STING/LEX LUGER SUPERBRAWL 1

I usually talk about great tag formula.There was no formula to this tag match.I mean that in a good way.Two babyface teams destroying each other for 15 minutes.This was all action.The steiners were at their best around this time.

26. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS VS SOUTHERN BOYS GREAT AMERICAN BASH 90

The midnight express listed for a match from 1990.What a surprise.I think cornette called this their best match ever.It isn't but it's one of their best.The southern boys held their own here too.Maybe because tracy smothers was a pretty good worker.Anyway,this was easily one of the best matches of 1990.

There was definately negative heat for the Benoit-Malenko match, but I don't let that hurt a match in my eyes. This is one of my favorite matches and it (and along with, of course, Rey-Eddy from Havoc 97) would have been higher up on my list.

Ouch. Rey/Eddie at 30 definitely gives this list a black eye in my book. I just don't know how you can look beyond the great story telling, reversals, and flawless execution of some very difficult moves. This match was about so much more than the finish.

I love Rey/Psychosis too... I mean it was the first modern CW match in America and still holds up today in terms of pace and spots. I think that match is actually pretty significant historically speaking, but as an actual match, it completely lacks the emotion and story of Rey/Eddie.

Since you've gotten pretty much all my favorite WCW matches out of the way, I don't have much to look forward to in the top 25. Still waiting for Wargames 92 and Steamboat/Rude. Beyond that, I just hope it doesn't become a big Flair jerk off fest.

I'm with slabinskia on Guerrero/Rey. It was a great match but it was a little too short. And there was some selling problems with Rey. Not one of WCW's very best. Rey had the same kind of selling in WCW that people always criticize RVD for. It's not that big of a deal to me, which is why it's still great, but people should be consistant. Way too many idiots try to claim that RVD isn't good because he forgets to sell and then turn around and praise old Rey matches where he did the exact same thing. Someone like Eddie will be working on Rey's back for 5 minutes and then Rey will hit a dropkick and he'll get up and start running around the ring and jumping off of the ropes like he was never hurt.

25. RIC FLAIR VS KERRY VONERIC 10/85

Same rules as the mid south matches.It involves the nwa champ so it qualifies.

Kerry voneric was one of flairs' best opponents.They always had great matches together.This one is pretty rare but you can find it somewhere through trading.It was a 60 minute draw from hawaii that played only on the financial news network.Their second best match together.This is one of flairs' better matches.

24. CACTUS JACK/MAX PAYNE VS NASTY BOYS SPRING STAMPEDE 94

This one will prabably have some shaking their heads.This is one of the best street fights I've ever seen.This is also a very realistic brawl.Street fights aren't meant to go 45 minutes like the hhh/hbk hiac match.This goes 10 minutes which is about how long a street fight should last.All four work incredibly stiff here.Brutal stuff.

23. CACTUS JACK/KEVIN SULLIVAN VS NASTY BOYS SLAMBOREE 94

Take all of the things I said in the previous match and apply them here too.The reason I rank this ahead is because the faces won the belts and we get one of the coolest post match beatings I can remember.I guitar shot to sags.A hockey stick across the face for knobbs.Awesome brawl.

22. RICKY STEAMBOAT VS RICK RUDE BEACH BLAST 92

Rick rudes' best match.Some say there were too many falls but that is a very minor point.The psychology here is awesome.Rude injures his ribs in the opening seconds and it becomes a focus point for much of the match.One of the best matches of the 90s.

21. RIC FLAIR VS HARLEY RACE STARCADE 83

Harley was great in his day.Maybe a little slow but great wrestling otherwise.Flair dominated the 80s and this was one of his better matches.It is also a pretty historic match if you care about that stuff.If you haven't seen it,check it out.

Not one but TWO Nasty Boys matches ahead of eddy/rey? You've lost your mind. And I really like both of these matches. I saw them when they happened and it was something that I had never seen before. That being said, they are just well done garbage matches and should not be anywhere near this high on a list of anything except maybe 100 greatest garbage matches....

Doube posted, so I'll jut use this second box for another comment.

If these two Nasty Boys matches make it this high on your list of GREATEST matches of the nwa/wcw, are you absolutely SURE you can't do an ecw list??? Because if you get off on these matches so much, I would think ecw would be a breeze....

I think they are more than just well done garbage matches.These two matches are about 50 times better than any brawl from ecw.I expected everyone to bash these two matches.I still stand by my opinion.

"21. RIC FLAIR VS HARLEY RACE STARCADE 83

Harley was great in his day.Maybe a little slow but great wrestling otherwise.Flair dominated the 80s and this was one of his better matches.It is also a pretty historic match if you care about that stuff.If you haven't seen it,check it out."

Race was great back in the day but you certainly wouldn't know it from this match. The guy could bump like HBK and even at this point could get around better than most, still had one of the biggest movesets around, was still an excellent storyteller and of course you wouldn't know any of that from this match. Bad disappointing match that doesn't show either guy in a good light nor does it even give you a taste of what their capable of. I recall Race had issues with the guest ref gimmick among other things.

Sorry there have been more than twenty better NWA/WCW matches than this, hell Flair and Race might have had twenty better matches than this on their own.

"32. STING VS VADER GREAT AMERICAN BASH 92

This is my favorite in the series.I didn't know about vader before wcw so I was expecting a win by sting here.Instead we got a classic vader squash.Sting put vader over huge in this match and vader was a made man afterwards.Highly recommended."

Once again I'm baffled that this match is labeled a Vader squash, Sting controls for most of the match, get's in most of the offense, it's also made to look like the German would have did Vader in, and of course Sting loses by his own stupid mistake. Vader gets in some good licks but he's mostly bumping and putting over Sting in this one.

20. VADER VS CACTUS JACK 4/17/93

This match is on the foley dvd.I am sure most don't think this belongs anywhere near the top 20 but I do.Vader works incredibly stiff in this match.Foley said he told vader to work stiff.Brutal stuff here.The angle the next week was pretty good also where cactus took a powerbomb on the floor and was taken out in an ambulance.

19. RIC FLAIR VS RICKY STEAMBOAT WRESTLEWAR 89

Normally I wouldn't have to defend ranking something too low when it is in the top 20 but I guess I should here.This is not the greatest match of all time like some have suggested.I actually think it is the weakest of the 3 matches.Having said that,this is amazing and the last match in their 89 series.Steamboat always took flair to a higher level.

18. RIC FLAIR VS TERRY FUNK CLASH OF CHAMPIONS IX

Another match I likely will have to defend as being too low.Yes this is awesome stuff but I don't think it is their better match.Funk was another one who got the best from flair.This was when funk was able to brawl and wrestle with the best.It shows here as its not the usual flair formula match.1989 was such a great year for the nwa.

17. RIC FLAIR VS LEX LUGER STARCADE 88

The best match lex luger has ever been in.Flair had great chemistry with luger and made people think luger was a pretty good wrestler.As we know,luger is average at best but you wouldn't think so watching this match.This one is clearly the best in the flair/luger series.It might have been higher with a better finish.

16. TULLY BLANCHARD VS MAGNUM TA STARCADE 85

This should be no surprise.This match was ahead of its time.A sick,bloody,I quit match.They really do everything to get the other to quit.If you haven't seen it,find it and watch it.This is the best match ever on a starcade show.How does magnum get tully to quit ?By sticking a piece of a chair in tullys eye.Would you quit if someone did that to you ?I think so.

15. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS VS FANTASTICS 4/88

I either saw this match on a shoot interview tape or on one of the crocket years tapes.This is where the fantastics win the u.s. tag belts.A classic 30 minute match.The midnight/rock n roll fued had more heat but I really think the midnight/fantastics had better matches.This match is extremely rare.Awesome tag match.

14. WARGAMES WRESTLEWAR 91

It's wargames.What's not to like.A bloody,violent,brawl when the wargames matches were still great.It's not the best wargames match but it is still one of the best matches of the 90s.I will add that pilmans' head bounced off the roof of the cage thanks to a botched powerbomb from sid.

13. BRIAN PILMAN VS JUSHIN LIGER 12/91

This is another match that is extremely rare.You can only see it if you have the handheld which unfortunately,I no longer have.I saw the superbrawl match and wondered why it was hyped so much.I later saw this match and wondered if people got the two matches mixed up.This is the one that should get all the praise.I believe it's also the introduction to jushin liger.Wcw didn't have much going for them around this time and when liger came in he immediately looked like the best worker in the company.Wcw fans shouldn't have been surprised because they saw the same thing two years earlier with muta.If you can find the match,check it out.

12. RIC FLAIR VS BARRY WINDHAM CROCKET CUP 87

One of flairs' best opponents was barry windham.This was when windham was still a great worker.Another match that is pretty rare.We are really getting into flairs' best work now.Unlike their matches in 93,94,these two put on some classic matches in the 80s and this is one of their best.

11. RIC FLAIR VS STING CLASH OF CHAMPIONS I

After this match,a new star was made.Sting didn't win the match but he didn't have to.He was made to look like flairs' equal in this match and it worked.A classic 45 minute draw and one of the best tv matches you will find.These two wrestled each other a million times but they never reached the level of this match again.

Since there are only 10 left,give some thoughts on the list.What you liked and didn't like about it.Next I will be doing the top 50 wwf fueds since I already have them listed.Then I will do the 50 best ecw.

10. RIC FLAIR VS RICKY STEAMBOAT CHI-TOWN RUMBLE

A little shorter and the most fast paced match in the series.I think it has a much better flow than the wrestlewar match.This looked like it was going to be the match of the year.However,there were better things to come in 1989.A classic match and a must see for any flair or steamboat fan.

9. RIC FLAIR VS TERRY FUNK GREAT AMERICAN BASH 89

Insanely underrated match.The i quit match gets all the praise but I liked this one much more.A wild brawl for the time.This was more of a terry funk match than it was a ric flair match and it stands out because of it.

8. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS VS FANTASTICS CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS 1

While the wwf was putting everyone to sleep with wrestlemania 4,these two teams were putting on the match of the year.This is not the typical 30 minute tag match with long heat segments and slow spots in the match.It was a fast paced match with lots of brawling.Cool spot where eaton buldogs rogers ona table.This was before tables were used.Must See match.

7. ROCK N ROLL EXPRESS VS IVAN KOLOFF/KRUSHER KRUSCHEV 7/9/85

Many prabably haven't seen this.It's a 40 minute match where the rock n rolls win the belts.They get a miracle performance from the russians.Weird that robert gibson plays face in peril for most of the match.It worked though.If you like old school tag wrestling then you have to see this match.

6. RIC FLAIR VS BARRY WINDHAM 1/24/87

This is on the flair dvd.Remember when wcw had 45 minute tv matches on their worldwide show.This was the best one.Windham was at his best around this time and his best matches were against flair.When flair went against someone who was on his level,you got great results.One of the best tv matches ever.

I've never been much of a WCW/NWA fan so there's several matches I haven't seen, particularly those rare and hard to find ones. But I do have a few gripes, as Flair/Race I never got the appeal (for that particular Starrcade match anyway). The Rude/Steamboat match is great but I don't think it guarantees that high placement. Eddie/Rey might be too low but I agree that after you watch Rey/Psychosis you realize where they got the finish from. No surprise that Flair is the most prominent wrestler on the upper echeleon of the list, and if I have to venture a guess, then the Flair/Steamboat Clash match is gonna be the top dog.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the list. Keep up the good work, slabinskia. Wonder what your Top 5 is?