TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Princess Leena

Torino Winter Olympics Thread.

Guest Princess Leena

Where I will perv over 12 year old figure skaters!

cohen-joubert.jpg

Sasha Cohen & Brian Joubert. *swoons*. They're still losing the Russians, who will CHEAT TO WIN~ Gold in all 4 figure skating events!

And the opening ceremonies begin tomorrow!

Fuck that Torinto bullshit- it's Turin.

I did the predictions for every sport except hockey for the Sun, so I'm actually somewhat prepared for these games. I don't know who I have winning the overall count, but Germany is going to do very very well.

For whatever reason, I enjoy the winter olympics more then the summer version. Oddly enough, aside from skiing, i haven't done any of the winter events myself unless you count ice skating at the local rink.

I won't make any predictions, except there will be another judging fiasco that sweeps the attention of the nation and is forgotten 2 months later, once an official decision is made.

For whatever reason, I enjoy the winter olympics more then the summer version. Oddly enough, aside from skiing, i haven't done any of the winter events myself unless you count ice skating at the local rink.

I also prefer the Winter Games to the Summer Games. For one thing, there are fewer events so CBC shows practically every one. And you don't have any 'sports' like sailing stinking things up.

I love when North Americans tell people from other countries how to spell the name of their own town.

Every country has their own way of pronuncing and spelling other peoples' lands. You think this is a North American thing?

Torino is silly. Yes, it's how the Italians say it, but how many people are going to start calling it Italia, instead of Italy? We might as well Italianize everything now.

I love when North Americans tell people from other countries how to spell the name of their own town.

This is the first time they've ever referred to a city by it's official name instead of its English translation, which is stupid.

This is the first time they've ever referred to a city by it's official name instead of its English translation, which is stupid.

Even with regards to Italy, it was not the Roma Olympics. I can understand the Italians calling it Torino, as they should, but the English media shouldn't be.

Universal HD has what appears to be every single Mens and Women's hockey game in HD (not just team USA games), LIVE (with that sweet 6 hour time difference) and no commercials, but thats all they are airing. I know I cant wait for mens Hockey, Kazakhstan vs Sweeden at 5am Wednesday..lol. It is nice though because Hockey in HD is awesome although I like it on HDNet more when they do NHL games because of the different camera angles that they use. OLN HD games (when Directv adds the HD feed occasionally) isn't as nice, but its still pretty good.

Theres no way Im going to be able tivo most of this because a lot of the blocks are like 8 hours long straight and would fill my tivo up (I only have about 35 hours of HD recording and I've got about 12 of those filled up already), even though I could record the UHD and NBCHD stuff at the same time. UHD does seem nice enough to seperate Team USA games into their own blocks though. My Tivo Showcase thing will supposedly also update medal counts at night and download video highlights..

Universal HD is also simulcasting the stupid dog show that USA has Monday and Tuesday in HD, which gives me hope that RAW could be simulcast in HD if they wanted to..but thats another forum.

Guest Princess Leena

I want to see Jeremy Bloom in HD. Damn, he is pretty.

And coverage starts with the biathlon at 5am here!

Guest Princess Leena
Is anyone carrying the gold-medal game for men's hockey live in the States? I'm going to be in Las Vegas that day, but I'm willing to drag myself to a sports book at 4 am if Canada's playing.

Yes, the men's hockey final is on live at 6am Mountain time.

I like most of the Winter sports. Apart from hockey, they're not something I get to see very often so I appreciate the uniqueness of short track, luging, skeleton, and even the more esoteric events like curling and the biathalon.

Guest Princess Leena

Summer Olympics will always be more preferred by me, simply because there's many more sports. And less clothing. But, Winter is still fun. I mostly like the difference in the sports. The many crazy ones like luge, and moguls, and speed skating... and the grace of figure skating... and the strategy used in cross-country.

And, hopefully knowing the usual sports forum types we have here... they'll stay away! :)

Like I said, I enjoy the winter games more. It's mostly because it's not America's time, although local and national media will try to convince us that we are big shots at the winter games. I like seeing sports that ESPN will never air, I like the luge, speed skating and hockey the most but there's usually something I don't think about that i stumble onto and find fantastically fun.

I remember after seeing Cool Runnings, being all excited to see the bobsledding events.

At least unlike the Summer Olympics we actually have just about everything that is actually a sport. Sorry, contrary to what the Chinese might say, table tennis is NOT a sport.

Is anyone carrying the gold-medal game for men's hockey live in the States? I'm going to be in Las Vegas that day, but I'm willing to drag myself to a sports book at 4 am if Canada's playing.

Yes, the men's hockey final is on live at 6am Mountain time.

So 5 am Vegas time...could be worse, I suppose. I'm sure someone's going to have it on a big screen. What the hell else is there to watch at 5 in the morning?