TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Star Wars Transformers

OK...this news has been up for a while, but I didn't see a thread for it anywhere in this forum.

Basically, it's what certain Star Wars characters would look like if they were born as Transformers.

Take a look:

20051107_vader_bg.jpg

20051107_obiwan_bg.jpg

20051107_gg_bg.jpg

20051107_luke_bg.jpg

And here's the link to the article itself:

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/ha...ws20051107.html

If this has been posted already and I just missed it, a mod can close this thread.

EDIT: And apparently there's more than just those four on the way...

sw-toyfair009.jpg

"The Geekiness is complete"

by the way, I'm a geek for both story/toy lines.

Good, then maybe you can answer this for me...

Doesn't the Obi-Wan Transformer's face kinda look like Alpha Trion's?

"The Geekiness is complete"

by the way, I'm a geek for both story/toy lines.

Good, then maybe you can answer this for me...

Doesn't the Obi-Wan Transformer's face kinda look like Alpha Trion's?

to a degree, it does indeed.

"How can we possibly get Transformer and Star Wars fans to buy more completely worthless shit? I GOT IT!"

And these were born.

Well to be fair, there COULD have been a chance storyline wise of Transformers and people from Star Wars meeting, at least by G1 standards.

I mean, Transformers, in the storyline, started millions of years before 1984...and who KNOWS how long ago was "A Long Time Ago..." for Star Wars.

"How can we possibly get Transformer and Star Wars fans to buy more completely worthless shit? I GOT IT!"

And these were born.

Well to be fair, there COULD have been a chance storyline wise of Transformers and people from Star Wars meeting, at least by G1 standards.

I mean, Transformers, in the storyline, started millions of years before 1984...and who KNOWS how long ago was "A Long Time Ago..." for Star Wars.

Somewhere, George Lucas is rubbing his hands together and laughing at the chance to take the Transformers and Star Wars and make a really bad movie involving the two.

I can understand Grevious, cuz he's a robot anyway, but Obi-Wan looks like a sin against nature.

What about Luke's?

Oh, there's also a Boba Fett one, but I haven't found a good picture of it.

Well, this might make a lot of sense to the hardcore Transfans, since there have been many discussions in those circles on just how much of a rip off "Transformers: The Movie" is of Star Wars.

Well, this might make a lot of sense to the hardcore Transfans, since there have been many discussions in those circles on just how much of a rip off "Transformers: The Movie" is of Star Wars.

Huh? I don't see it.

You see, Obi-Wan is Optimus, and Darth Vader is Megatron, and Unikron is the emperor!

You can make all kinds of lazy comparisons, because any heroic quest tale is going to have shared elements.

See, Optimus is Gandalf! And Frodo is Rodimus! And the Matrix is the One Ring!

You can make the Transformers movie into an allegory about just about anything, because it's so basic. You just have to really reach.

EDIT: Just look at the people trying to say that LoTR was RaYcist!

the only comparison I can think of is the layout of the movie:

A. initial battles involving all main heroes working together

B. point in the movie where the main heroes split up and go off on their own battles and journies.

C. the point where they all meet up again for the final showdown.

storyline-wise, I don't see anything, but I haven't yet overcome my laziness....maybe after work i'll think some more on it.

Well, here's some of the comparisons that get made in hardcore Star Wars/TF Universe geekiness posts:

-Mentor cut down in front of strapping young lad of destiny:

Obi Wan and Luke/Optimus and Hot Rod

-And at some point, Megatron actually wields a lightsaber to help him do it, complete with lightsaber sound effects.

-Massive killer orb of death:

Death Star/Unicron

-Semi-mystical force that the young hero discovers he can wield:

The Force/The Matrix

-The climatic battle between the hero and the villain takes place inside the massive weapon while a huge battle takes place outside of it (and yes, at that point Unicron revealed he had a second form, but then again, so did Spaceball 1 :) ).

-Arcee is blatantly sporting Princess Leia hair.

-Others argue that Springer's personality is akin to Han Solo (and if you read a draft of the script, Springer is described in his introduction as an "Indiana Jones type"...close enough?). This brings us to:

-The love triangle, where at first it seems the woman is smitten on the young hero, but in later installments, grows closer to the Solo-type (it's true that in the TF Universe, this happened post Movie).

-The mystical force helps the young hero to destroy the massive weapon (I know that reference to earlier points, this means I lumped Death Star 1 and 2 together).

And those are the obvious ones. I don't want to hold other points against the movie, such as the good guys' last minute escape from the exploding weapon, because at that point, they're already written into a corner. What else is going to happen? But if you want to nitpick, I'm sure we could come up with lots more, such as a parallell between the Junkions and Ewoks (savage species at first hostile to the good guys, but eventually joining forces in the greater war). Besides it was said earlier and it's true: you could compare any fantasy movie from the last 20 years to Star Wars. And at the heart of it all, TF:TM is still has a lot of unique charm in its own right, and I'll always have a soft spot for it.

Snipped and Awesome Post btw!

Nevermind the fact that in the test footage/teaser the announcer claims "That in the Tradition of Star Wars...", Yeah they borrowed a few ideas from Uncle George.

Straw grasping!

Villains with cool deep voices: James Earl Jones, Orson Welles and Leonard Nimoy

yeah, they made Galvatron a whiney sounding guy after the movie...I did like the season 3 character, though.

I thought they sounded similar

It was Welker doing both voices though, that much is fact

no, you're right about it being Welker...Megatron has more of that sinister, raspy kinda villian voice while Galvatron has that whiney, bitchy villian voice.

you know, the Transformer Universe could have been so much better if it wasn't strictly a cash cow. There are fantastic characters but they just weren't developed at all outside of Optimus Prime and Megatron.

Hey now, the Aerialbots were developed quite well in "War Dawn" and that happens to be one of my favorite episodes. Hell, any episode that focuses more on one group of the gestalts is a great episode for me, oh, and "SOS Dinobots".

I would have liked to have seen the transformers actually serve their "functions"...for example: Prowl is a Military Strategist (I believe he's also taken command duty as well), but the cartoons only showcase him doing grunt soldier duty.

I'd love to see G1 canon fiction, be it fan fiction or whatever...I just want something canon to the series...most Transformers fan fics out there suck ass...i attempted to write one awhile back based on the days prior to them leaving Cybertron for Earth. I never finished it, got a decent chunk of it done, then life took over and I haven't been able to go back...it's kinda depressing, i did mega mega research prior to starting it.