TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gWIL

An idea for the end of Joe's undefeated streak...

After LAX gets done with the James Gang, why not build up Homicide as a threat to Joe's title? They had an excellent match in ROH. They could do an angle where since Joe doesn't go by the rules he has to fight someone else who doesn't; Homicide.

I'd say Cide, Lethal or the outside chance of Low. I'd rather go with Lethal beating him though as I think he'd be a great representative.

Let LAX be part of the rebuilding tag division for a little while longer.

Not bad for storyline purposes and it would also make Joe de facto face since Homicide is badder.

It all depends on Homicide's health since his shoulder is reportedly really fucked up.

While this isn't a bad idea and I like the possibilties, I think with Joe's streak being played up, whoever beats Joe should sort of come out of nowhere. It's a hotshot, but if it's the right person and the right time, you may have made a star in one night.

Knowing TNA, they'd put Sonjay in the spot to beat Joe. I forgot about Homicide's injury. Lethal would be good, although Sabin wouldn't be a bad choice as it would build him up to the new fanbase.

Watch, pretty soon its going to be champion vs. champion as NWA X-Division Champion Samoa Joe takes on NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett on some PPV, with Jarrett both ending Joe's streak and becoming a double champion. :P

I think it will/should be Sabin.

It won't happen for some time still...but I think Sabin is the right guy to get that rub to stick and make him a credible "top" X guy ala Styles and Daniels. Whatever the case...as soon as Joe loses...he has to be put in the World title picture ASAP.

Guest adamsummers

I know... have Raven return and just destroy Joe just to show Raven can do whatever the hell he wants and Larry can kiss his ass.

The X Division has been fucked up for quite a while. They can't seem to run anything but Styles/Daniels/Joe. But, the main event scene is improving with the title off of JJ, so maybe the X Division isn't far behind. They had some good opportunities with Styles/Moore and Lynn/Gen Next, but alas, those fell through.

Joe shouldn't lose the title until Bound for Glory II. This needs to be "the longest X Division reign in history". He needs to be away from Styles and Daniels as soon as possible. After that, I'd have him go through Shannon Moore in a short fued, then brutalize Jerry Lynn for a month or two. After that, he can have some close matches with Lethal and Aries to elevate them. Finally, Joe would get around to fueding with Dutt and Sabin. I'd play up Joe's viciousness and have him just tear Sonjay apart, maybe "hospitalizing" him. Sabin could then challenge Joe at BFG and win the belt for his friend.

The point with Joe is not to have him kick everyone's ass on Impact. The X Division needs to be more of a competitive division of characters so there's more opportunity for fueds besides the same three guys every month.

The X Division has been fucked up for quite a while. They can't seem to run anything but Styles/Daniels/Joe. But, the main event scene is improving with the title off of JJ, so maybe the X Division isn't far behind. They had some good opportunities with Styles/Moore and Lynn/Gen Next, but alas, those fell through.

Joe shouldn't lose the title until Bound for Glory II. This needs to be "the longest X Division reign in history". He needs to be away from Styles and Daniels as soon as possible. After that, I'd have him go through Shannon Moore in a short fued, then brutalize Jerry Lynn for a month or two. After that, he can have some close matches with Lethal and Aries to elevate them. Finally, Joe would get around to fueding with Dutt and Sabin. I'd play up Joe's viciousness and have him just tear Sonjay apart, maybe "hospitalizing" him. Sabin could then challenge Joe at BFG and win the belt for his friend.

The point with Joe is not to have him kick everyone's ass on Impact. The X Division needs to be more of a competitive division of characters so there's more opportunity for fueds besides the same three guys every month.

But you just said you want him to brutalize Jerry Lynn, injure Dutt and basically he'd have kicked everyone's ass in the Division if he went on a rampage for another few months. TNA is setting themselves up to fail in a big way if they let Joe keep the streak too much longer. I don't think he will be a good World Champ, and as such they need to end the Goldberg run sooner rather than later because TNA doesn't have a good enough roster to sacrifice everyone to Joe and then try to rebuild them.

Guest El Satanico

Well they aren't going to build the division around Lynn or Dutt, so they are expendable.

Joe destroying Lynn could be a good set up for Joe vs. whoever beats him. Have Lynn mentor "the young up and coming" Jay Lethal, and after Joe destroys Lynn, Lethal will dedicate himself to honoring his mentor by slaying the beast.

I like Jay Lethal but the guy really doesn't know how to play up to the crowd in a bigger venue. He just looks out of place and not like a star. But he is young. He should really work on that before they start giving him titles.

Watch, pretty soon its going to be champion vs. champion as NWA X-Division Champion Samoa Joe takes on NWA World Heavyweight Champion Jeff Jarrett on some PPV, with Jarrett both ending Joe's streak and becoming a double champion. :P

Kevin Nash needs to be special ref for the FINGER POKE OF DOOM part 2. :fight2:

Guest adamsummers

Alright, I've actually been thinking about this and here's my thoughts concerning the X-Division. Personally I'd love to see Daniels with the belt again, but I agree with most of you, right now isn't that time. With Joe's brutal undefeated streak, this would be a perfect time to let someone who isnt as big in the X-Division shine by dethroning Joe. What has Cassidy Riley been up to lately? Haven't been able to follow IMpacts and whatnot as much as i'd like due to work, but I remember this guy was decent in the X-Division and was hoping he'd become a major player. Maybe build this guy up to take out Joe, get some wins against Lynn, Skipper, even Williams, Daniels, or Styles then go up against Joe, maybe lose once, then come back and win the title. Go from there, maybe fued with Moore, Aries, then possibly lose it to Daniels or Sabin. just my thoughts.

Guest El Satanico

Raven could get involved. Then for his first foray into the upper card, Joe and Raven can brutalize each other for a match or two.

The last match I saw him in he was getting squashed by Joe.

The best idea, IMO, is to build someone up paralleling Joe. It would have to be someone fresh and untouched. Have the guy get Joes sloppy seconds and finish them quicker and more brutally than Joe. Never entertain the thought of putting the two together - never have Tenay or West mention it - and never have the two in the same room as each other. Do this consistently for at least 6-8 months. Then one day you just have the two face off and let the fans go nuts.

The last match I saw him in he was getting squashed by Joe.

The best idea, IMO, is to build someone up paralleling Joe. It would have to be someone fresh and untouched. Have the guy get Joes sloppy seconds and finish them quicker and more brutally than Joe. Never entertain the thought of putting the two together - never have Tenay or West mention it - and never have the two in the same room as each other. Do this consistently for at least 6-8 months. Then one day you just have the two face off and let the fans go nuts.

I don't think they could wait that long to blow their load. Besides, the smarky Orlando crowd would figure it out and after all of this guys matches, they'd be chanting something like, "Joe's gonna kill you."

Guest adamsummers

only prob with that is joe being champ still for 6-8 months... sorry but personally i am already bored with him as champ. w/styles, daniels, sabin, williams... in their matches, there was always that chance the other could become champion... but with joe, they have made it seem like he cant be beat... thats why i think someone needs to beat him sooner or later... itd be a "shock"... the man who was said to be unstoppable was finally put down, defeated.

I'm going to give Joe a fair shot but since he's only been champion for two months but I believe JOe title reign has been "OK". The storylines have been fine,so has the matches but the fact we know Joe will win every match takes away from the storylines and matches. TNA needs to put JOe in some tag matches so his ppv opponents can pin him and look strong against him. From the three, I think Daniels have carry the feud. He seems to be the only one in TNA besides Brown,Christian and JJ that knows how to make use of the time they're given each week.

I would have TNA build Jay Lethal as a underdog(like the 123 Kid) and have him be the one to beat Joe for the title on IMPACT to make things more dramatic and putting him over to a larger audience.

They could continue to bring in guys for Joe to beat to sustain his reign, it's not really hard. You have to realize how quickly TNA television goes by. Think of it, we've already had 4 and a half months of television and there really hasn't been someone made during that time that wasn't already made before. Hot-shotting the win on someone, or giving the win to someone that is already established doesn't really make the best use of the build Joe has already gotten. This is where WCW failed with Goldberg. There has to be a pay-off.

They could continue to bring in guys for Joe to beat to sustain his reign, it's not really hard. You have to realize how quickly TNA television goes by. Think of it, we've already had 4 and a half months of television and there really hasn't been someone made during that time that wasn't already made before. Hot-shotting the win on someone, or giving the win to someone that is already established doesn't really make the best use of the build Joe has already gotten. This is where WCW failed with Goldberg. There has to be a pay-off.

Which is why I can't understand the sentiments from people saying Chris Sabin, AJ or Daniels should stop Joe's reign. Why? What comes out of that? AJ and Daniels don't need that rub, Sabin isn't going to carry that flag and he is already a cemented part of the X ranks and really can't go anywhere else except maybe a tag team with someone not named Sonjay Dutt.

I have been completely against the idea of someone getting a fluke/lucky win over Joe to end the reign. It's cheap, ruins everything that Joe's reign is supposed to be and just makes the new champion look weak.

Not to make an ROH comparison, but to make a Samoa Joe comparison, he carried that title for 20 months after beating top stars from Punk, Daniels, Danielson, Styles, Homicide etc. How did they take the title off Joe?

Did they do a cheap fluke finish? Did they go back to a former champion who already had credibility? No, they built up a new guy, let him march through the competiton and earned that title shot fairly and didn't make him some sort of character going after the title. Simply enough, Austin Aries earned that title shot and went in and beat Joe, clean.

What did that do? It got an new guy over as the new torch carrier, gave Joe's reign a fitting and honest conclusion and Joe still looked strong in the process.

It's not hard to have Joe and whomever the chosen one is built seperate from each other, leading to the big match.

That match should be a clean hard-fought match with Joe still looking strong but the new champion looking like he earned that title win.

Joe's reign has to be a important event, because TNA has built his dominance as a key part of who Samoa Joe is. It can't be a dirty and cheap finish (Goldberg/Nash), it can't come off as a fluke.

The only thing with the ROH deal with Aries-Joe, is that Joe was already world champion - he had no way to go any above where he already was. Joe is X champ but needs the forwarding ability to be pushed even stronger in the world title scene. So comparing Aries-Joe to there here and now isnt really logical. With that said, you have to consider that to get pushed into the ME world title level, you just can't have a guy beat him for the X title. It ruins that transition into world title contention. He needs to be protected, and unfortunately thats at the expense of not putting over an X division guy over Joe. Whats going to have to happen is that Daniels will likely win the blowoff of the three ways (over Styles), so he's still the stronghold of the X division, and then from there you have an upset Joe that never lost his belt move up to the world title level. Who knows what to do with Styles.

Guest El Satanico

But you still have him dropping the title in a match. Lose to Daniels/AJ or lose to someone TNA builds up, a loss is a loss.

But you just said you want him to brutalize Jerry Lynn, injure Dutt and basically he'd have kicked everyone's ass in the Division if he went on a rampage for another few months. TNA is setting themselves up to fail in a big way if they let Joe keep the streak too much longer. I don't think he will be a good World Champ, and as such they need to end the Goldberg run sooner rather than later because TNA doesn't have a good enough roster to sacrifice everyone to Joe and then try to rebuild them.

While Joe would win those matches, I mean for him to just have strong defenses on PPV. When I said brutalize/injure, I mean for Joe to heel it up and beat them down post-match, not squash them. It does little to hurt the challenger if they earn the shot at Joe and give it their all. Joe comes out as the badass and the challenger comes out looking good for having a good match. That's what it's about. Joe winning solid matches on PPV against everyone in the X Division isn't that harmful. Having him win 2 minute squashes on Impact against everyone in the X Division is. Joe's streak worked in ROH because the challengers looked respectable and weren't totally squashed.

Guest Timmer

2 words: Alex Shelly

They could do the angle where Alex is able to beat him because he discovered a weakness of Joe's by studying hours of videotape of Joe's matches.

I think that this is credible and could easily happen if they decided to give Alex the rub

I like the idea of Lynn mentoring whoever eventually beats Joe. Maybe have a Joe/Lynn match, where Lynn exposed some type of chink in Joe's armor, but still cannot muster enough to capitalize and get the win, so in turn he mentors the next guy in line who eventually goes on to mentor Joe.

This scenario kind of reminds me of RVD beating Sabu at A Matter of Respect, because Taz told RVD about Sabu's neck, and RVD ended up winning with a Fisherman's Buster.

Although there are still clear differences in each respective scenario.

Whoever it ends up being, I think the win should involve the oppoent attacking Joe's midsection and sides. I mean when you see Joe, and his physique, the only galring thing that stands out as a negative is his mid-section. I think it could be played up that the youngster is a good ring technician, coupled with Jerry Lynn's knowledge due to his prior match. I was thinking in a match with Lynn/Joe that they could even do a PLANNED botched move, where Lynn is supposed to do something, and it ends up accidently hitting Joe's Midsection or sides ,instead, and Joe shows major effects from it, ala not being as effective the rest of the way through the match, but still holds off Lynn. The announcers can play it up a bit, but not too much as to not overexpose what Jerry Lynn was learned from his match, and eventually teaches to his eventual mentor-ee.

Guest Princess Leena

Move Joe up to the "hardcore" division. Welcome him in with someone like Abyss, Rhino, etc... beating the shit out of him. It adds some depth to Joe's character, as we see if he can finally try going against guys his own size... and it ends this ridiculous push that needed to be stopped long ago. If Joe wants to be taken as a serious World Title contender, force the guy to get in some better conditioning. And gives an opportunity to build a legitimate character for him... because what he's got now ain't gonna work.