TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Arctic Monkeys

Read about the sales record in the UK and downloaded a few EPs off of iTunes. At first, I wasn't really impressed, but "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor" has been stuck in my head for days. I also like "Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts" and a few of the other songs are ok to listen to.

The question is: to all of you UK guys, is the CD any good? It releases here in the States next Tuesday.

I got the Import a few weeks back, and it's pretty good. It's not really worth ALL the hype that it's getting, but it certainly isn't a bad album by any means. Alex Turner's lyrics are really good, and he has a pretty sharp wit, which is most noticable in "From The Ritz To The Rubble", "Fake Tales of San Francisco", "Perhaps Vampires is a bit much, but...", and "Still Take You Home." Sadly, "Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts" isn't on the album, but the rest of the songs make up for it. The only thing that kinda irked me was they get kinda "jam band" on some of the songs, but it'll grow on you.

And if you like "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor", you'll love "From The Ritz to the Rubble."

I'd probably give it 7.5-8/10.

Hope that helped.

The Artic Monkeys may be good.

I say may be because I can't get past how bloody annoying their lead singers voice is, I've heard worse voices that haven't spoiled my enjoyment of an album, but his voice makes everything he sings seem like a joke.

Honestly, it would be pretty easy to replace the singer at this point and they just should.

I dunno if it would be EASY to replace him, seeing as Alex Turner, from what i've heard, has become an icon in England. Most of the AM fans would probably be a bit pissed, seeing as he has become their hero.

I'm not sure, though, as I don't live in England. I'm just going on what some of my UK friends say.

I dunno if it would be EASY to replace him, seeing as Alex Turner, from what i've heard, has become an icon in England. Most of the AM fans would probably be a bit pissed, seeing as he has become their hero.

I'm not sure, though, as I don't live in England. I'm just going on what some of my UK friends say.

I am from England, and whilst I'm not exactly "in touch" with their fanbase it seems to me that its the Arctic Monkeys name thats popular more then anything at the moment.

He plays guitar as well anyway, and it would probably be better for them to have an actual singer on vocals.

He also like, y'know, writes all the songs n stuff I believe. Those who do gush about them obviously wouldn't want an 'actual' singer, would they?

I'm from Sheffield like they are, that's all well and good. The album is *ok*. What really irks me is all these London faggot journalists creaming themselves about how this is a 'fascinating snapshot of life in a Northern town' etc. Fuck off. That's unbelievably patronizing. What's the difference? Do teenagers down South do stuff other than drinking, pissing around and arguing with their girlfriends?

He also like, y'know, writes all the songs n stuff I believe. Those who do gush about them obviously wouldn't want an 'actual' singer, would they?

I still dont understand how you can take anything he sings seriously when his voice sounds like *that*.

I quite like Arctic Monkeys. I don't think they are deserving of the mass of hype they have been given by people, greatest band of this generation my arse, but they aren't a bad band and the album is quite good.

Okay so let me get this straight. Working-class Northern town guitar band who just wants to rock? So basically Oasis, Phase 2?

Nah, Arctic Monkeys are trying that whole social commentary thing, and I must say their better at it then Green Day.

Haven't decided how they compare to the average 10 year old at it yet.

BOOT is reading this thread. BOOT is my new R2DFoosterMcSockman

Well yeah, anyone is gonna be better at it than Green Day. 'cept Conor Oberst. He sucks. a lot.

Hey you know which Northern town guitar band I just never got into? The Stone Roses. Really. What was so great?

Do they have infectious hooks?

Your malicious bias will not stand, young man. I'm gonna go listen to the Exploding Hearts and pee on you.

I've heard nothing of the Arctic Monkeys, but they're getting the variety of NME-hype that usually translates to me not liking a band. I'll casually investigate.

The only good thing about them is that "...Dancefloor" sounds funny when sung in a George Formby voice. Heard about half the album last week, it was dreadfully average

Well - I got the CD at Best Buy today.

Good songs I hadn't previously heard: Mardy Bum and A Certain Romance.

I've decided that I like this band, but I probably wouldn't if they were hyped up beyond belief, so I'm glad I'm in the US and no one knows who they are.

Do teenagers down South do stuff other than drinking, pissing around and arguing with their girlfriends?

Yes. They have jobs.

I saw Artic Monkeys at Reading last year and loved them. But now, they are undeniably over-rated. I could handle them as a band to hear every so often. but not as the biggest band in the country.

They're also getting a lot of asshole fans at their gigs who think that they're hardcore because they're at a gig. Kind of like when skinheads got into ska. That's never good.

Dancefloor is still a damn good song, though.

Do teenagers down South do stuff other than drinking, pissing around and arguing with their girlfriends?

Yes. They have jobs.

It's funny cause it's true

Here's another flaw of their's: the musical progression in their songs can at times seem really random.

And not in the good way (Ala Jimmi Hendrix).

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Any sillier than him singing "I Am the Slime"? That shit's fuckin' hilarious.

I won't even touch Pardo introducing "The Illinois Enema Bandit."