TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

ECW One Night Stand II-It's Official

Another One Night Stand

February 18, 2006

At the RAW Live Event held on Long Island, NY, SmackDown announcer Tazz introduced Paul Heyman. Paul then delivered big news to the fans in attendance.

According to Heyman, ECW will hold another One Night Stand. The event will originate from the “original scene of the crime” at Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom on Sunday, June 12, 2006.

Tickets for the event will go on sale Saturday, April 15 at 10 a.m.

If this year's ECW One Night Stand is anything like the original, you can expect to see some of the most extreme action ever. Click here for more on last year's One Night Stand.

Credit: WWE.com

Guest InuYasha

My guess is the "nostalgia factor" ended up in them turning away a lot of fans, and losing a lot of money in the process. If they can sell more tickets to eager and excited fans, where's the wrong in that?

If Terry Funk is to be a centerpiece of this (as some newsbits I read a while back said), it should be called Another One Night Stand: I'm Getting Too Old For This Shit.

Guest nokia

Without "tna talent" and the one's they pissed of.....who's left for this show?

Dudley's (ALL 3), Rhino, Shane Douglas, Jerry Lynn and Raven are going to be hard to convince...

Yay...let's have another ECW show, only this time most of the real major ECW guys work for TNA so they won't be appearing (Raven, Sabu, Dudleys, Shane Douglas, Rhino...) Let's pretend again that guys like Chris Benoit were major ECW stars, even though they only wrestled there for about a year...

Yay...let's have another ECW show, only this time most of the real major ECW guys work for TNA so they won't be appearing (Raven, Sabu, Dudleys, Shane Douglas, Rhino...) Let's pretend again that guys like Chris Benoit were major ECW stars, even though they only wrestled there for about a year...

Yeah, I thought the whole angle last year with Benoit being promoted as one of ECW's "major stars" was lame. Especially when they put him in two hardcore matches against Tajiri even though hardcore matches aren't Benoit's specialty.

Here is who WWE has on payroll and who isn't signed to TNA as of right now.

Rob Van Dam

Tommy Dreamer

Tazz

Mysterio

Benoit

Super Crazy

Psicosis

Nunzio

Vito

Joey Styles

Mick Foley

Joey Mercury

Kid Kash

Stevie Richards

Simon Dean

Dean Melenko

Al Snow

Johnny Swinger

Paul Heyman

"Free-Agents"

Mike Awesome

Chris Jericho

Tajiri

Tanaka

Spike

Sandman

Scorpio

Corino

Mikey Whipwreck

Balls and Axl (I think they might have already signed with WWE a year ago, not sure)

Justin Credible

New Jack

Bam Bam Bigelow

Brian Lee

Amish Roadkill and Danny Doring (see Balls and Axl)

Bill Alfonso

Francine

Lance Storm

Tracy Smothers

Big Sal

Chris Chetti

CW Anderson

Blue Meanie

Antifaz Del Norte

DeVito

Joel Gertner

Cyrus

Mamaluke

EZ Money

Christian York

Scotty Anton

-Still plently to work with-

Hopefully we can at least be spared the whole "WWE authority figure trying to kill off ECW once and for all" angle this time.

Unfortunately, that's what Vince might do sometime after Wrestlemania when his feud with Michaels is over with, even though just a year ago, Vince praised ECW when Bischoff was trying to "kill it".

I think honestly enough there's only one thing that could seriously hype this PPV, and that would be Rob Van Dam going after the WWE title in front of "his" fans. They did the authority figure and various jobbers invading storyline, so this is the angle that could really sell this show.

The PPV worked last year as a nostalgia trip, so the match situations didn't need to be heated. Most of them don't HAVE to be this year either, but there does need to be a main event hook that last year's show didn't have.

The only roster problem is that outside of Rob Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer, and The Sandman...what ECW main event guys are left? Raven's in TNA, I'm pretty sure Sabu is still under TNA contract (at least for a little while longer), Buh Buh Ray and D-Von are in TNA, Corino likely won't do it because of differences with Paul Heyman, Credible would be wise to only do it if he can get the rights to the name back...so unless only a few of the matches are going to feature ECW mainstays with the rest being up-and-coming indy guys that likely would have been booked in ECW (as many have suggested to give it MORE of an ECW feel), then the show is lacking talent.

Which, I guess, is a perfect homage to the later days of ECW when there was a lack of talent so everybody worked longer matches.

Also, PLEASE have Awesome wrestle somebody other than Tanaka. Tanaka/Balls would be pretty good (their match at, IIRC, Hardcore Heaven '00 was better than it had any right to be).

The only roster problem is that outside of Rob Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer, and The Sandman...what ECW main event guys are left? Raven's in TNA, I'm pretty sure Sabu is still under TNA contract (at least for a little while longer), Buh Buh Ray and D-Von are in TNA, Corino likely won't do it because of differences with Paul Heyman, Credible would be wise to only do it if he can get the rights to the name back...so unless only a few of the matches are going to feature ECW mainstays with the rest being up-and-coming indy guys that likely would have been booked in ECW (as many have suggested to give it MORE of an ECW feel), then the show is lacking talent.

Which, I guess, is a perfect homage to the later days of ECW when there was a lack of talent so everybody worked longer matches.

Also, PLEASE have Awesome wrestle somebody other than Tanaka. Tanaka/Balls would be pretty good (their match at, IIRC, Hardcore Heaven '00 was better than it had any right to be).

Terry Funk is already plugged into the main event, or was awhile ago.

I suggest the idea of Heyman using OVW talent for the ECW show, it'd be a perfect way for WWE to bring someone up, such as CM Punk.

Quickie fantasy booking idea

Main Event

Rob Van Dam Vs Kurt Angle

*I'd have MR. ECW challenge Kurt Angle, someone who has been very vocal in his hatred for ECW, if Angle is still the world champion by June, making it for the title doesn't hurt either if they feel like Smackdown could use an extra piece of starpower, then they can bring RVD over after winning the title at ONS2 and give him a Benoit reing*

Terry Funk and Dreamer Vs Impact Players

*Simple story, JC and Storm were thorns in Dreamer's side for years. Funk was Dreamer's mentor. One last final battle between bitter rivals. I have a feeling Storm gets the wrestling bug again after working with Danielson*

Eddie Guerrero Memorial

Chris Jericho, Benoit and Scorpio Vs Dean Melenko, Psicosis and Mysterio

*I am sure they will do Benoit/Mysterio @ WM as a EG tribute match, but here's a chance to give more "tributes" to Eddie by using his close friends in a special tag match*

Mike Awesome Vs Spike Dudley

*I'm sick of Awesome/Tanaka and Awesome/Spike was Awesome's only other major rival in ECW and they always had good big man-little guy matches*

Tajiri Vs Steve Corino

*Steve Corino is a LONG shot, but this is merely pretend. In reality, it'd be Tajiri/Crazy/Guido in a three-way dance*

Sandman Vs Stevie Richards

*Have Richards play the flunky role this time around, He bumps into Sandman and this sets off a quick match between the two*

Balls Vs Tanaka

*As Laz said, they had good brawls and this can lead into the usual Heyman overbooked 4 man tag match involving Axl, Doring/Roadkill and Baldies with New Jack making a"surprise" appearence.

It's not the best but it's enough with what they have.

I can't believe they're not using ECW Arena.

Because it doesn't look like the ECW Arena anymore?

Does it matter?

Heyman said the same thing on Byte This last year when asked why One Night Stand wouldn't be held at New Alhambra.

I highly doubt he's been there since ECW folded. In fact, Heyman seems to have something against Philly as he stopped doing ECW Arena shows almost entirely in the 6 months leading up to the promotion's closure.

Does it matter?

Heyman said the same thing on Byte This last year when asked why One Night Stand wouldn't be held at New Alhambra.

I highly doubt he's been there since ECW folded. In fact, Heyman seems to have something against Philly as he stopped doing ECW Arena shows almost entirely in the 6 months leading up to the promotion's closure.

It does matter, if it's not the same feeling and vibe inside that place...why bother? Besides I thought that place couldn't hold the power that comes with a PPV.

Does it matter?

It does matter, if it's not the same feeling and vibe inside that place...why bother? Besides I thought that place couldn't hold the power that comes with a PPV.

Yeah, it couldn't...10 years ago.

Have you seen Hardcore Homecoming? It looks the same except for a giant beer advertisement along the back wall and seating where some of the overhangs were.

Does it matter?

Uh, Heyman ran a show at the ECW Arena in late-December 2000.

Don't know what you're talking about.

Mike Awesome Vs Spike Dudley

*I'm sick of Awesome/Tanaka and Awesome/Spike was Awesome's only other major rival in ECW and they always had good big man-little guy matches*

I agree, however I don't know if Spike would come back or not. Sure the money is calling, but I know Spike was rather disgruntled after leaving the E.

In fact, Heyman seems to have something against Philly as he stopped doing ECW Arena shows almost entirely in the 6 months leading up to the promotion's closure.

Uh, Heyman ran a show at the ECW Arena in late-December 2000.

Don't know what you're talking about.

August and December 2000 - those were the last two shows at ECW Arena. The last ECW Arena show before those was in April 2000.

ECW folded in January 2001.

So from May 2000-January 2001, that's two Philadelphia shows in 8 months. Quite a step down from the biweekly tradition it once was.

So apprently Heyman's contract expires at the end of Feb.. So one of two things will happen. If Heyman resigns the PPV might be another good one. If he doesn't resign, WWE is going to totally bury ECW and kill it off for good.