TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zarock

Best 8-Man/10-Man Tag Matches

Guest Zarock

I'll always really liked the idea of the 8-man/10-man tag matchup, so list what you think are the best 8-man or 10-man tag matches.

I'll start it off:

Kaientai DX vs. Super Delfin, Gran Naniwa, Gran Hamada, Tiger Mask IV, and Masato Yakushiji (Michinoku Pro 10/10/96)

Really fun lucha match. KDX is my favorite stable of all time, and this was probably their best tag match.

Aja Kong, Kyoko Inoue, Takako Inoue, and Sakie Hasegawa vs. Dynamite Kansai, Mayumi Ozaki, Cutie Suzuki, and Hikari Fukuoka (7/13/93)

This is the second joshi match I've seen, and one of the best matches I've seen period. This has pretty everything you could want out of a match, plus huge amounts of heat.

Okay, so add your own.

Too Cool, Rikishi, The Rock & Cactus Jack vs. HHH, X-Pac, Saturn, Malenko, Benoit from 2000. That was an insane atmosphere and an extremely fun match to watch. Probably the best big non Survivor Series big tag match I've seen.

And despite the storyline going to shits, the Inagural Brawl 10 man tag at Invasion was a very fun one to watch too.

I'll get the inevitable Hart Foundation vs. LOD/Goldust/Shamrock/Austin match out of the way.

On a less common note, I also liked the Filthy Animals vs. Natural Born Thrillers multi-man tags.

HBK/Benoit/Foley/Shelton Vs. Evolution was really fun.

Team Austin Vs. Team Bischoff is, IMO, a legit **** match.

Team Alliance Vs. Team WWF from Survivor Series 01 is fun, but lacks a lot on replay value and the fun value was hurt by having too many WWF guys.

I know it may not be the best from a technical stand point but the Ted DiBiase/The Undertaker/Rhythym and Blues Vs Dusty Rhodes/Koko B. Ware/Hart Foundation match at Survivor Series 90 is my all time favorite. I watched it a couple of months ago and it still holds up. A fun match with a cool Bret Hart-Ted DiBiase mini match at the end.

I remember a Taker/Rock/Booker/Goldust vs. Triple H/Lance Storm/Test/Christian match in July 2002 on RAW in Seattle being way awesome and underrated.

Rikishi/Scotty/Grandmasta/Rock/Foley vs. HHH/Benoit/Malenko/Saturn/X-Pac is a thing of beauty.

War Games 1994 Rhodes & Nasty Boys vs Arn Anderson, Terry Funk, Buckhouse Buck, Col. Parker. Double ring goodness with Dustin Rhodes trying to piledrive Anderson threw the 2 rings early in the match and Terry Funk actually finding a way to fall into the gap between the rings.

I don't recall the exact participants, but it was a 12-man tag on a throwaway Raw that featured Team WWF vs Team Alliance with an awesome sequence at the end where everyone hit a trademark or a finisher in succession, ending with Big Show nailing a chokeslam on Hugh Morrus (?) for the win. The cool thing is that despite the brawling mess, both men were indeed legal.

If I recall...

APA, Scotty 2 Hotty, Big Show, ?

VS

Dudley Boys, Tommy Dreamer, Hugh Morrus, Palumbo & O'Haire

Guest The Showcase

There was a Fatal Fourway WWF Tag Team Title match from RAW in the summer of '98 that is still, to this day, one of my favorite matches.

It was Rock & D'Lo (replacing Owen who was attacked by Shamrock before the start of the match) vs Kane & Mankind vs Outlaws vs Austin & Taker. Heat was INSANE.

I don't recall the exact participants, but it was a 12-man tag on a throwaway Raw that featured Team WWF vs Team Alliance with an awesome sequence at the end where everyone hit a trademark or a finisher in succession, ending with Big Show nailing a chokeslam on Hugh Morrus (?) for the win. The cool thing is that despite the brawling mess, both men were indeed legal.

If I recall...

APA, Scotty 2 Hotty, Big Show, ?

VS

Dudley Boys, Tommy Dreamer, Hugh Morrus, Palumbo & O'Haire

IIRC the other guy on the WWF team was "The One" Billy Gunn.

There was a Fatal Fourway WWF Tag Team Title match from RAW in the summer of '98 that is still, to this day, one of my favorite matches.

It was Rock & D'Lo (replacing Owen who was attacked by Shamrock before the start of the match) vs Kane & Mankind vs Outlaws vs Austin & Taker. Heat was INSANE.

God yes.

Great match, good element of surprise with Shamrock, unreal heat and great story telling with Mankind/Kane getting the titles back.

God yes.

Great match, good element of surprise with Shamrock, unreal heat and great story telling with Mankind/Kane getting the titles back.

I can't remember that far back, but I think I was there for that one..I'm gonna have to check.

EDIT: yes I was there for that...I don't remember a whole hell of a lot from it because we were sitting by some really shitty fans and got into a lot of verbal wars with them.

It was technically a 12-man tag match, but I remember an old school WCCW match that was best of 5 falls, and was the Von Erichs teaming with the Freebirds to take on the Dynamic Duo, OMG, Kamala, Steve Williams & <someone else, maybe Killer Tim Brooks or Kabuki, I really don't remember the 6th heel>.

Just off the charts heat, plus the 1st time I'd ever seen a best of 5 falls OR a match with more than 10 guys.

there were some slow spots at times, but the tag team suvivor series match at the first survivor series was pretty good with the unlikely teams of Roma/Powers and The Killer Bees winning.

Akira Maeda/Yoshiaki Fujiwara/Osamu Kido/Nobuhiko Takada/Kazuo Yamazaki vs. Antonio Inoki/Tatsumi Fujinami/Kengo Kimura/Umanosuke Ueda/Kantaro Hoshino (3/26/85) I'd be hard-pressed to name a better 8+ man tag match.

Akira Maeda/Yoshiaki Fujiwara/Osamu Kido/Nobuhiko Takada/Kazuo Yamazaki vs. Tatsumi Fujinami/Kengo Kimura/Shiro Koshinaka/George Takano/Kantaro Hoshino (9/16/86) Not great, but still really good.

Jushin Liger/Tokimitsu Ishizawa/El Samurai/Shinjiro Otani vs. Great Sasuke/SATO/Shiryu/TAKA Michinoku (6/15/94)

Gran Hamada/El Samurai/Jushin Liger/Wild Pegasus vs. Tokimitsu Ishizawa/TAKA Michinoku/Shinjiro Otani/Koji Kanemoto (3/14/96) These 2 are just a cut below the previous match.

I thought the Minchinoku Pro match from ECW Barely Legal was pretty fun, spotty as all heck, but fun spotty

None.

Anything dealing with an 8-Man/10-Man matches are structured to shit and easily a spotfest. No structure and chemestry, just a cheap heat meater if anything.

Mind you a four team two men tag match is completly opposite.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Sting, Robert gibson and 3 other faces fought Flair , Nikita, and 3 other heels on WCW TV in 1990ish. It saw a Sting injury via Nikita, and Sting was replaced by PN News, then the faces lost by DQ when Sting returned and attacked Nikita

there were some slow spots at times, but the tag team suvivor series match at the first survivor series was pretty good with the unlikely teams of Roma/Powers and The Killer Bees winning.

I guarantee ya "Crank it Up" was the last song those in the Richfield Coliseum were expecting to hear that night.

Another goodie from SS87 was the women's match. IIRC, it had nice pacing, innovative (to an American wrestling fan) spots, and a feel-good ending.

Besides, if you can't mark out for a giant swing from time to time, ya really need to loosen up.

Oh yeah, the heckler chanting "Moooooooolllahhh . . . Moooooooooollllahhhh!!!" also got a chuckle or two out of me.

I guarantee ya "Crank it Up" was the last song those in the Richfield Coliseum were expecting to hear that night.

Another goodie from SS87 was the women's match. IIRC, it had nice pacing, innovative (to an American wrestling fan) spots, and a feel-good ending.

Besides, if you can't mark out for a giant swing from time to time, ya really need to loosen up.

Oh yeah, the heckler chanting "Moooooooolllahhh . . . Moooooooooollllahhhh!!!" also got a chuckle or two out of me.

oh yeah, i forgot about that...the Jumping Bomb Angels were doing shit american fans at the time had never imagined.

None.

Anything dealing with an 8-Man/10-Man matches are structured to shit and easily a spotfest. No structure and chemestry, just a cheap heat meater if anything.

You gives a shit it's a spotfest, it's just really fun to watch.

Bubba Ray/Goldust/Booker T/Kane vs. Un-Americans (Christian, Storm,Test,Regal) on PPV was really fun to watch as well.

oh yeah, i forgot about that...the Jumping Bomb Angels were doing shit american fans at the time had never imagined.

I've never seen Jesse Ventura mark out so hard for faces before or since. The Bomb Angels were incredible and The Glamour Girls also pulled their weight to assist making the BAs look like $1,000,000. I certainly would have loved to see them book some 6-woman tags w/ McEntyre & the Bomb Angels after that.

I've never seen Jesse Ventura mark out so hard for faces before or since. The Bomb Angels were incredible and The Glamour Girls also pulled their weight to assist making the BAs look like $1,000,000. I certainly would have loved to see them book some 6-woman tags w/ McEntyre & the Bomb Angels after that.

didn't they have one or two followup matches? I'm pretty positive that wasn't the one and only time the Angels were seen in the WWF.

Guest wildpegasus

If we're allowed to include women I think the standard for all tags is definitely Thunderqueen.

Ozaki, Kansai, Fukuoka, Cuzuki vs kyoko Inoue, Aja Kong, Takako Inoue, Sakie Hasegawa.

Here's a very rare match from New Japan -- Chris Benoit/Jushin Liger/El Samurai/Kendo Kashin vs Chris Jericho/Shinjiro Ohtani/Koji Kanemoto/Tatsuhito Takaiwa 9/22/97 - Niigata, Japan

Black Lushus --- You're right. The Bomb Angels and Glamour Girls also had WWF Women's Tag Title matches at MSG in Nov87 (Women of WWF), Royal Rumble 1988 (Best of WWF Vol 15), and at the Spectrum (High Flyers).

Some that haven't been mentioned:

The Wild Card match from Survivor Series '95 (Bulldog, Michaels, Sid and Ahmed vs. Razor, Owen, Yoko, Douglas) and the opener from that same show (123 Kid, Skip, Pritchard and Radford vs. Holly, Jannetty, Horowitz and Hakushi) were both very good matches.

Dutt, Styles and Aries vs. Joe, Daniels and Shelley from the TNA primetime special a few months back was as good a six man as you'd have gotten in their small timeframe.

The DX/Nation streetfight on RAW.