TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

HDTV

Wait, so do HD-DVD Players, not the upconvert kind(one of which I have) but actual HD-DVD Players, do they use HDMI as the optimal connection or do they use the HD Color Stream 3-plug connection?

No, it just doesn't upconvert through component cables. You still get HD quality.

I compared the SD and HD verisions of Jarhead today and there was a huge difference. The HD was much more sharp, the picture had the "3D" effect and colors were richer.

I have a Toshiba 46" Widescreen TV. I have an HDMI port in the back, but I also have these two other ports called HD COLOR STREAM 1 & 2. So if I bought an HD-DVD Player, which would be the best port to use?

HD Colorstream = Toshiba's name for Component Inputs (Red/Blue/Green)

If the HD-DVD player doesn't downrez the picture to DVD quality over the component inputs like I heard, then use that..it might all depend on if you have an HD Capable STB and what that needs to output over for HD.

Ok, my brother bought this HDTV today. My 360 looks absolutely amazing compared to shitty 19 inch I was using before. I am hardly an expert on the subject so I just want to see what the 'experts' in this thread think about the TV, if it was it a good deal or not, etc.

As a comment, Sony is actually not the best when it comes to HDTV even though their TVs are priced much higher than other brands. That is however a nice TV.

Who is the best, Marvin? I'll be in the market for one within the next 4-5 months and as far as images go, i've liked the Sony LCD projections more than the assorted DLPs. My dad's got the 70" inch Sony WEGA, which is gratuitous and possibly one of mankind's greatest inventions all at the same time. I'm open to other considerations, though, and probably looking for something in the 42"-46" range since I'm in a modest apartment.

I really like my Mitsubishi 48" rear projection. I've had it for nearly three years, and never a single issue. Great picture, especially with true HDTV. They have some really nice microdisplay projection sets now.

As a comment, Sony is actually not the best when it comes to HDTV even though their TVs are priced much higher than other brands. That is however a nice TV.

Who is the best, Marvin? I'll be in the market for one within the next 4-5 months and as far as images go, i've liked the Sony LCD projections more than the assorted DLPs. My dad's got the 70" inch Sony WEGA, which is gratuitous and possibly one of mankind's greatest inventions all at the same time. I'm open to other considerations, though, and probably looking for something in the 42"-46" range since I'm in a modest apartment.

Well how much are you willing to spend?

For one thing, don't get a plasma.

The biggest CRTs get are 36" and they would be heavy has fuck, so you probably don't want that.

You're not going to find any DLPs that are under 48". So your best bet would be a LCD.

This JVC is pretty good. It also had 1080p, which is a plus even though nothing is being broadcast in that yet and probably won't for a while. And this Sony isn't that bad, but it is a Sony and I'm not a big fan of them.

The biggest CRTs get are 36" and they would be heavy has fuck, so you probably don't want that.

You're not going to find any DLPs that are under 48". So your best bet would be a LCD.

This JVC is pretty good. It also had 1080p, which is a plus even though nothing is being broadcast in that yet and probably won't for a while. And this Sony isn't that bad, but it is a Sony and I'm not a big fan of them.

Im a fan of Samsung..

As far as 1080p, sets that support it are expensive but..Blu Ray supports 1080p and HD-DVD doesn't. Thats probably not a huge bonus for BR given the # of 1080p sets out, but a future advantage for BR definitely.

I don't think I'm interested in a regular LCD. Projection or nothing; regular LCDs are ridiculously overpriced for the size and I find the depth of color lacking. I just looked at a 46" Samsung DLP in Best Buy two days ago along with a 42" Sony projection, so they exist as of now, at least. I imagine that for set, stand, and an upconverting DVD player, I'd like to not go much higher than $2000 pre-tax.

Im a fan of Samsung..

As far as 1080p, sets that support it are expensive but..Blu Ray supports 1080p and HD-DVD doesn't. Thats probably not a huge bonus for BR given the # of 1080p sets out, but a future advantage for BR definitely.

I am sure the next gen HDDVD player will output at 1080p. And I read somewhere that the BR player downconverts to 1080i then upconverts back to 1080p before it hits the screen, which would take away from it.

Have you seen the difference between the HDDVD and BR Marv? HDDVD is SO much better than BR.

Im a fan of Samsung..

I am sure the next gen HDDVD player will output at 1080p. And I read somewhere that the BR player downconverts to 1080i then upconverts back to 1080p before it hits the screen, which would take away from it.

Have you seen the difference between the HDDVD and BR Marv? HDDVD is SO much better than BR.

HD-DVD doesnt have the capability (READ: DISC SIZE) to do 1080p. And downconverting to interlaced and then upconverting back to progressive for what I've read doesn't affect picture quality one bit. I have seen both boxes but to my knowledge I havent seen either in action since BB has the TVs all hooked up to the instore video feed.

HD-DVD doesnt have the capability (READ: DISC SIZE) to do 1080p.

Ahh that is right.

And downconverting to interlaced and then upconverting back to progressive for what I've read doesn't affect picture quality one bit.

Ehh, I don't know about that. Whenever you do a bunch of converting it does bring down the PQ somewhat.

How long until Ultra-HD hits retail stores?

I have a 46" CRT Toshiba 16X9 Widescreen HD TV, and I think it is good enough to hold onto until one day in the far future that Ultra-HD is affordable.

How long until Ultra-HD hits retail stores?

I have a 46" CRT Toshiba 16X9 Widescreen HD TV, and I think it is good enough to hold onto until one day in the far future that Ultra-HD is affordable.

20 years or so.

ltra HD (Ultra High Definition), also called UHDV (Ultra High Definition Video) and Super Hi-Vision, is a digital video format proposed by the Japanese research group and broadcasting company, NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories.

Ultra HD is a giant leap forward from HDTV. It provides a video resolution that contains 16 times more pixels than a conventional HDTV. That is, against 1,080 lines of resolution of HDTV, Ultra HD offers 4,320. More precisely, Ultra HD provides 7,680 x 4,320 pixels in a widescreenaspect ratio of 16x9, for a total 33 megapixels. Additionally, Ultra HD offers a 22.2 channel sound system as opposed the 5-6 channel surround-sound systems commonly available with HDTVs.

The biggest advantage of Ultra HD is its ability to present video that give a real-life impression to the viewer. Ultra HD achieves this by providing a higher view perspective, which is a direct outcome of the higher resolution offered by this technology. However, like any other work of technology, there are disadvantages to accompany the advantages. That is, Ultra HD video and audio - in its uncompressed format - may require huge storage volumes (3.5 TB for an 18 minute video).

Ultra HD is currently designed exclusively for large audiences rather than for home use. This technology is still in a conceptual stage. Ultra HD is not planned to be commercially available until 2025. Until then, technology junkies will have to be satisfied with the standard HDTV.

I posted that Ultra HD thing btw..

The fact is, the human eye really cant detect that high level of detail so its really overkill for television. I could see them figuring a way to use it for theatres as a way to make the theatre experience better since the screen would be large enough and the 22 channel sound system would fit..

HD-DVD doesnt have the capability (READ: DISC SIZE) to do 1080p.

After some reading and asking other forums, the HD-DVD discs are capable of 1080p. The player just can't play it yet.

3272.jpg

I see 1080p.

The shame I feel for asking this:

What exactly is digital TV/Cable? Is it really that much different from HD?

From what I've deduced, it's television that uses a set-top box and RCA cables? If this is so, then what precisely does an integrated digital tuner do? I know it picks up ATSC and NTSC signals, but, if my first question was right, shouldn't the set-top box, in theory, be unnecessary?

Yes, digital cable is different from HD.

Digital cable broadcasts shows in either 480i or 480p, while HD broadcasts in 720p or 1080i (1080p someday, but not yet.) Fox, ESPN and ABC use 720p while everyone else uses 1080i.

I have no idea what a integrated digital tuner does, but I am sure Marv does.

Yes, digital cable is different from HD.

Digital cable broadcasts shows in either 480i or 480p, while HD broadcasts in 720p or 1080i (1080p someday, but not yet.) Fox, ESPN and ABC use 720p while everyone else uses 1080i.

I have no idea what a integrated digital tuner does, but I am sure Marv does.

An Integrated Digital Tuner only picks up over the air digital signals when hooked up to an antenna. The set top box is needed for the cable programming you want to recieve.

I have had my Panasonic 53" HD-ready widescreen for four years or so. I got the 1080i (not knowing the difference between i and p at the time), and have had numerous different dvd players, gaming systems, digital cable boxes and surround sound systems hooked up to it over the years.

I have a digital cable DVR box, PS2, pretty high-end DVD player, and will soon be putting a new surround system in.

For not having HD programming, what would be the best cables or connections for these devices to provide optimum audio/video? I currently have my DVD player and DVR hooked up through component audio and video. My TV and both of these devices have every kind of connection available (HDMI, S video, component, etc.

I am also not sure what surround sound system I will be putting in at this time. I am putting in a friend's system that he wants me to hold onto while he lives in his currount surroundings. I will be putting my own system in later. Any suggestions?

I have had my Panasonic 53" HD-ready widescreen for four years or so. I got the 1080i (not knowing the difference between i and p at the time), and have had numerous different dvd players, gaming systems, digital cable boxes and surround sound systems hooked up to it over the years.

I have a digital cable DVR box, PS2, pretty high-end DVD player, and will soon be putting a new surround system in.

For not having HD programming, what would be the best cables or connections for these devices to provide optimum audio/video? I currently have my DVD player and DVR hooked up through component audio and video. My TV and both of these devices have every kind of connection available (HDMI, S video, component, etc.

I am also not sure what surround sound system I will be putting in at this time. I am putting in a friend's system that he wants me to hold onto while he lives in his currount surroundings. I will be putting my own system in later. Any suggestions?

I cant imagine having a 53 inch HD TV and not having it hooked up to something for HD programming. Past that, I imagine that you have everything hooked up optimally.

The one thing I can't help you on is a surround sound system, since I dont have one and don't really care about it.