TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops 2/27/2006 - 03/12/2006

What I loved, was how Dick Vitale was pissed off and acting like Duke was screwed over, by the fans rushing the court screwed Duke over. At first I though they were going to call the game and end it at that. Then I realized Duke was playing.

Still that was plain retarded...Thankfully they had a foul shot and were up by 5. Imagine if they were up by just 1 and did that....they would've looked fucking stupid.

Vitale was quite unbearable tonight with his little rants about the officiating.

I watched most of the game at a restaraunt and couldn't hear the commentating. What was he bitching about?

Those fans, are idiots. Typical Florida State.

Rushing the court is fucking stupid in general if you are a member of a power conference. WOW! You beat Duke! It's not new you idiots.

Florida St probably just got in. They have played everyone close and they just handed Duke their first conference loss. They'll finish 18-10 at worst with eight wins in the ACC. Odds are that'll be enough barring lots of conference upsets.

Guest Princess Leena

Kentucky also upsets Tennessee, IMO putting them in.

Ugh... FSU and Kentucky are probably locks now, already lessening the chances of some mid-majors.

Guest Princess Leena
Texas just lost to Texas A&M, which damages the Longhorns' hopes of a #1 seed.

Also puts A&M on the "probably in" list now. Since they're on a nice winning streak to end the season. Which I also hate, since A&M annually plays the worst teams possible OOC.

Hello to the NCAA's Florida State and Kentucky barring a disaster and Texas A & M has just helped its chances.

Goodbye Hofstra, Utah State, Air Force/San Diego State and pretty much UAB's chances for an at large barring a miracle.

Texas may have just kissed a 1 seed goodbye and Tennesse just did as well.

Now we begin the bullshit talk of Ohio State getting a 1. And god, the selection committee better not even dare.

I don't see how Ohio State shouldn't be considered for a #1 if they win the Big Ten outright and the conference tourney of the 2nd or 3rd best conference in the NCAA.

This could be a dangerous team come tourney time the way they shoot three's.

There is no way Ohio State will get a #1 seed over Villanova. Texas had a chance due to the head-to-head win, but OSU has none.

It's not going to be over Villanova. Barring a loss at Cuse and a disastrious loss at the BE Tourney, Nova has it wrapped up.

The talk will be whether they should bump Memphis or not for the final #1. If you've been watching ESPN, Digger and Bilas less so have been unofficially waging a war aganist whether Memphis should be one of the Top seeds, and the overall shityness of Conference-USA is not helping it all. Right now C-USA is ranked 13 or 17th and the Big 10 is number 1 RPI wise (and number 2 in the minds of America). There could be a sense of entitlement to Ohio State should it Win the Big 10 outright. But lets compare some critical numbers between Memphis and Ohio State as of right now.

Memphis

Record (Includes Division I Competition only for wins): 26 - 2

Conference Record: 12 - 0

OOC Record 14 - 2

Last 10 Games: 10 - 0

RPI (Official NCAA RPI/Warren Nolan RPI/ESPN RPI/Real Time RPI): 6/6/6/6

Conference RPI (Warren Nolan/Real Time RPI): 14/17

Overall SOS (Warren Nolan/ESPN/Real Time): 53/42/71

OOC SOS (ESPN): 2

Record Broken Down by RPI:

1 - 25: 2 - 2

26 - 50: 3 - 0

51 - 100: 5 - 0

101 - 200: 6 - 0

200+: 10 - 0

Ohio State

Record (Includes Division I Competition only for wins): 22 - 4

Conference Record: 11 - 4

OOC Record 11 - 0

Last 10 Games: 8 - 2

RPI (Official NCAA RPI/Warren Nolan RPI/ESPN RPI/Real Time RPI): 5/4/5/4

Conference RPI (Warren Nolan/Real Time RPI): 1/1

Overall SOS (Warren Nolan/ESPN/Real Time): 22/21/22

OOC SOS (ESPN): 87

Record Broken Down by RPI:

1 - 25: 4 - 3

26 - 50: 3 - 1

51 - 100: 5 - 0

101 - 200: 6 - 0

200+: 4 - 0

So comparing the two you have

Record Advantage: Memphis

Last 10 Game Advantage: Memphis (Though Ohio State has faced much better competition.)

RPI Advantage: Ohio State

Conference Rank Advantage: Ohio State

Overall SOS Advantage: Ohio State

OOC Advantage: Memphis by a HUGE margin.

When you add those 6 factors together their profiles seem similar. However Memphis played a much harder OOC schedule and is being bought down by C-USA itself, while Ohio State is being bought up by the Big 10 Revival that has happened this year. And again CUSA is a team's enemy. In fact CUSA's RPI rank being propped up by its 4 Teams. If Memphis went to the Big East, then this conference would be in the upper teens. And if UTEP, Houston, and UAB all went elsewhere...the winner of this conference may end up in the play-in game.

Folks...this is the new CUSA...Memphis better pray that it gets better or that it gets Big East Invite.

Texas lost.....hehe. Not that OU had any chance to beat them in Austin but now I'm sure they're pissed so any chance OU may have had just flew out the window. Especially with the way OU has been playing down the stretch.

Flair, I've said it before and I'll say it again...George Washington is my sleeper team, and have the potential to do major damage in the tourney. And since their OOC SOS is a POS (it's not all their fault though, depending on who you talk to, they were denied many one for one deals by power schools and even top majors and mid majors. And they were denied one shots by these teams too.) they're going to get a lower seed (4-6) then they really are. They get to the Regionals...some poor #1 seed may get literally ran off the court.

Memphis may end up being the new Gonzaga. A truly great stuck in a truly shitty conference. Regardless, Memphis played one hell out of an out of conference schedule and have only two losses (Duke and Texas) from it. It's kinda homerish since I live nearby, but I gotta make Memphis a #1 seed. They might be the last #1, but I'll put them right there with Duke, Conneticut, and Villanova.

Tennessee was nowhere NEAR the #1 seed. Maybe #2, but never #1. They're starting to lose a few games in the SEC. They'll get a 3 or 4 it seems like.

This is probably a weird question, but does anyone know the name of the artist/song in the recent Duke/UNC commercial they keep showing on ESPN? It kind of sounds like Evanescence to me, but I don't know that it's them.

Tennessee was nowhere NEAR the #1 seed. Maybe #2, but never #1. They're starting to lose a few games in the SEC. They'll get a 3 or 4 it seems like.

Tell that to CBS Sportsline. Being the SEC Homers that some of them are, one of the idiots put Tennesse as the third number 1 seed over UConn (who was their number 2) after UConn lost to Villanova. Personally, I would never consider them for a 1 (had they kept the ball rolling they would've been a 2) but if anyone has seen me ever post about the SEC they will know this for a fact...

I am one of the biggest detractors of SEC Basketball you'll ever see. The reason for this is their collective attitude towards the sport (save Kentucky, Florida and when they're winning, Tenneesee) is nothing but acceptive disdain, not to mention that their teams are usually nothing but overrated trash. Not to mention that almost SEC game I've had the misfourtine of seeing this year has made wanna kill things. If it were up to them, Basketball would be the 4th most important sport behind Football, Spring Football and Baseball. And yes, I have none of them going beyond the Sweet 16, if that.

(And yes I am a Big East Lover/Homer...I hate the SEC by association.)

Naiwf: Beats me, but this full circle crap is overkill. I do not wanna have 3 channels covering this game, when I could see Conference Tournament Games (*coughCAAQuaterfinalsandMissouriValleySemifinalscough*) in its place. I am hoping they plan on doing it for the Big East Championship Game next week.

I hear you on that. I really hope it's a 20 point blowout either way just to ruin their plans.

Big game right now.

Biggest game for CUSA of the year by the far.

It's UAB Vs. #3 Memphis

There is ALOT on the line tonight.

For Memphis they're defending a 1 seed that everyone wants to take away.

For UAB they're looking for signature win in a year where their conference blows ass. They're fighting for an At-Large bid that everyone else wants.

For a whole bunch of bubble teams. This game may make or burst bubbles.

Needless to say, everyone is interested in this game.

Tell that to CBS Sportsline. Being the SEC Homers that some of them are, one of the idiots put Tennesse as the third number 1 seed over UConn (who was their number 2) after UConn lost to Villanova. Personally, I would never consider them for a 1 (had they kept the ball rolling they would've been a 2) but if anyone has seen me ever post about the SEC they will know this for a fact...

I am one of the biggest detractors of SEC Basketball you'll ever see. The reason for this is their collective attitude towards the sport (save Kentucky, Florida and when they're winning, Tenneesee) is nothing but acceptive disdain, not to mention that their teams are usually nothing but overrated trash. Not to mention that almost SEC game I've had the misfourtine of seeing this year has made wanna kill things. If it were up to them, Basketball would be the 4th most important sport behind Football, Spring Football and Baseball. And yes, I have none of them going beyond the Sweet 16, if that.

I didn't hear about that. That's pretty damn ridiculous. I'm a fan of UT, but I'm realistic. There was no way in hell Tennessee could be a 1 seed. Like I said, 2 seed was reachable, but they ain't getting it unless they win the SEC, and win it big time. But with their losses these days, it doesn't look like it.

The SEC is looking real weak this year. Usually, we have a Florida or Kentucky to make it seem interesting... but Kentucky for the first in my memory are having an off year, and does anyone buy Florida as a big threat to anything? Anyone?

If UAB wins this, you gotta count them in the tournament. How many bubbles do you think could burst because of a small C-USA school from Alabama?

If UAB wins this, you gotta count them in the tournament. How many bubbles do you think could burst because of a small C-USA school from Alabama?

Well for starters...since Florida State and Kentucky are now safely in (one is a big question mark as to whether they deserve, but Duke is god... so...) and Texas A&M may get in while leaving teams who played better schedules and are just plain better, out.

UAB should it win potenially bursts these bubbles.

Utah State

Houston

UTEP

Hofstra

Bradley

Maryland

Colorado

Western Kentucky and Wisconsin-Milwaukee really have to win their conference tournaments now

The Mountain West is going to be a one-bid conference for the first time in its history.

Bucknell may have to sweat that much more.

I dunno, I think Bradley and Hofstra are both in right now. Hofstra is about 38 in the RPI, which would put them in that 10-12 seed range. Bradley as well is 43 right now, which puts them in a similar range. The MVC could seriously get 6 bids if Bradley is in.

Cabbage: Hofstra's biggest nooze is its OOC SOS which is better than a partly 45 teams at least. Plus Stokes is not going to be 100%, and they will have a very dangerous VCU who needs to win the tournament to get in. Hofstra could be ripe for the upset

Bradley has a signature win over Northern Iowa, but the Valley is not getting 6 Teams in. Someone is going to get knocked out. Bradley is the most suspect team.

Yeah, Memphis may have just screwed the pooch. Ohio State is ready to make its big assualt on the final 1 seed, and Memphis may not be able to hold it off, no matter what it does. Hell Gonzaga, Illinois and even Pittsburgh may all be geared to do so as well.

If Ohio State falters, Memphis may still be primed for a #1 seed. I just can't see the board making Illinois, Pittsburgh, or Gonzaga the #1 seed for some reason. It just sounds wrong.

But I think we can all agree on this.... Duke, UConn, Villanova.

THIS IS WHERE THE POWER LIES, BROTHER!

If Ohio State falters, Memphis may still be primed for a #1 seed. I just can't see the board making Illinois, Pittsburgh, or Gonzaga the #1 seed for some reason. It just sounds wrong.

But I think we can all agree on this.... Duke, UConn, Villanova.

THIS IS WHERE THE POWER LIES, BROTHER!

If Pitt wins the Big East tourney they might steal the 4th 1 seed. It's not likely considering UConn & 'Nova are basically locks but it could happen.