TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Timmer

Spirit Squad

Guest Timmer

Can someone who knows their background with OVW tell me who they are, whether they are any good at wrestling or mic, any potential, etc.?

I'd say Jeter's probably got the most potential out of the bunch. Doane's probably a close second. I'm not a big fan of Mitchell, Mondo is decent but he's just seriously too small to be a main eventer...and I always forget about Nemeath.

Too be perfectly honest from someone who respects most of the guys down in OVW and tries to follow them, I can tell you truthfully the only guy I gave a big crap about was Cappotelli because I thought he had the brightest future. He would of easily been the best thing out of Tough Enough, but unfortunately things went bad.

Edit: It's kind of funny you ask this question because on WWE.com Unlimited they have the Spirit Squad's entrance and during it, they have the guys all say their name in the theme music and on the titantron and it goes "Kenny, Johnny, Mitch, Nicky, Mikey" in that order....which I can also think is WWE's idea of who has the most potential out of the gropu.

Ken Doane and Johnny Jeter are so far above this gimmick it's not even funny. If Doane had remained in OVW for another year, or even two, he'd still have been only 21 upon his callup. He's the closest thing to a can't miss prospect they have, and he's stuck doing this shit. He's green, but even green he's much much better than some people currently on the active roster (Sylvain, Jordan, Lashley all come to mind). Jeter's always been a good worker, and should have been called up a while ago. He really hit his stride as the dickhead heel this past year, and would easily be able to be a midcard/possible upper mid guy in the vein of Jericho or Christian, but again, he's stuck as a face in the crowd of the Spirit Squad.

The gimmick is fine for Mondo, and even Nemeth. Mitchell has a serious back injury, which is why he doesn't get involved much or at all, so there's no telling what's in his future.

How many prospects have they dropped the ball with? Doug and Damaja spring to mind as well as the Heartthrobs and I really hope they don't add Johnny Jeter and Ken Doane. Maybe Matt Morgan can count as one but I'm not sure.

Am I forgetting anyone Zack?

Jeter's always been a good worker, and should have been called up a while ago. He really hit his stride as the dickhead heel this past year, and would easily be able to be a midcard/possible upper mid guy in the vein of Jericho or Christian, but again, he's stuck as a face in the crowd of the Spirit Squad.

They also made Jeter cut his hair for the Spirit Squad character just so I couldn't tell him or Mitchell apart at first.

How many prospects have they dropped the ball with? Doug and Damaja spring to mind as well as the Heartthrobs and I really hope they don't add Johnny Jeter and Ken Doane. Maybe Matt Morgan can count as one but I'm not sure.

Am I forgetting anyone Zack?

From what I saw on the OVW DVD from a couple of years back, Rico might've been able to carry a more serious gimmick, but he did the gay guy thing so very well and made me and my dad chuckle enough that I don't mind.

I fear CM Punk will join that list. He's going to have an OVW title reign, so he sorta counts.

Not really, but whatever :P

I fear CM Punk will join that list. He's going to have an OVW title reign, so he sorta counts.

Not really, but whatever :P

WWE will either make him into another gay character or have him be Eugene's "deaf" brother.

Agreed on Rico. The man has so many real life credentials you could have either made him a virtuous babyface or a holier than thou heel (on par with Angle's original character), but instead he became the gay stylist.

Dinsmore and Conway should have been called up doing their Lords Of The Ring tag team gimmick. Conway could have done most of the promos, Dinsmore could have played the Malenko "I do my talking in the ring" type of character.

The Bashams were so pathetically misused it boggles the mind. I've got friends who groan and think I'm shitting them when I say that their OVW match and the buildup from a few years ago was one of the best things OVW ever did.

Dinsmore and Conway should have been called up doing their Lords Of The Ring tag team gimmick. Conway could have done most of the promos, Dinsmore could have played the Malenko "I do my talking in the ring" type of character.

Instead, we got this...

17.jpg

06.jpg

Well, Conway's character came later on after he and Sylvain broke up as La Resistance, anyway.

I absolutely love Ken Doane. I only realised after about 4 months of OVW tv, but he's an amazing wrestler. He brings the little touches.

Jeter is a great cocky heel. He's better on the stick than in the ring in my opinion.

Those two will have careers after The Spirit Squad. This is them paying their dues. If Doane and Jeter are allowed to wrestle like they did against Shawn Michaels, they will get over.

Mitchell I've never seen wrestle, Nemeth is okay but vanilla (hide him in a tag team and he'll be fine) and Mondo has the potential to be the next Spike Dudley, whatever that means.

Check out Doanes stuff on youtube if you get the chance.

It really blows my mind how the WWE fucks these guys up. I mean, these aren't guys who were "indy stars" before coming to the WWE, or even guys from other major promotions, who the WWE might want to change around to fit their style, or might just want to bury for the heck of it.. these are WWE homegrown talent!