TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Does Triple H even want to be a heel?

I find it funny that everyone is so sure that HHH is going to beat Cena at Wrestlemania. personally I'm expecting Cena to get the victory. It won't be based on talent...because regardless of what the Smarks say about HHH he is light years ahead of Cena talent wise, but I think HHH will put Cena over because the WWE wants to build up Cena as a champion. HHH is also light years ahead of marbles in the mouth Batista, yet the Game put that guy over as well.

The main reason...marrying the bosses daughter aside...that HHH is so popular is because he's the best talent on RAW. Now I'm not saying he's the most skilled wrestler, but he's the best mix of wrestling skill and genuine mike talent going now. The only other star in his class is Kurt Angle, and Randy Orton is starting to get there also.

If you look beyond a great moveset, you eventually realize that they need to have great mike skills to get storylines over and make us either care about or hate the characters. HHH is incredibly good at making us hate him. Those are the things that inspire us to buy tickets and thats the bottom line in the WWE.

Name one star in the WWE better on the mike that HHH?

Batista wasn't marbles when they played to his strengths. He's not a 20 minute promo guy. But when he was backstage, saying one or two little cool badass lines, he was great. "Triple H is looking for you." "Really? Was he mad?" It made him look like a tough guy who really couldn't give a fuck. I would say that Triple H put over Batista, were it not for the fact that Batista was immediately shipped to Smackdown after his win. Faces don't move.

HHH is HORRIBLE on the mic. Yes, I said it. Here's a typical HHH promo:

2 minutes of walking slowly down to the ring while his theme plays.

2 minutes of staring at the crowd trying to build "Tension" while it really looks like he's forgotten his lines.

2 minutes of saying he's the best.

2 minutes of mentioning he's got a match at the next PPV.

Another 2 minutes of saying he's the best.

Three more minutes of saying he's the best. Every second sentence begins with "you see."

2 minutes of mentioning he's got a match at the next PPV, where's he going to utterly destroy his opponent.

2 minutes of mentioning he's got a match at the next PPV, where he's going to utterly destroy his opponent.

Face challenger comes out. HHH stares at him for two minutes, trying to build tension.

2 minutes of face getting to the point.

Three minutes of HHH pointing out legit faults of the face, highlighting weaknesses instead of protecting him.

2 minutes of mentioning he's got a match at the next PPV, where he's going to utterly destroy his opponent.

Three minutes of the face praising HHH (!?)

HHH stares at him for two minutes, trying to build tension.

Three minutes of HHH pointing out legit faults of the face, highlighting weaknesses instead of protecting him.

Staredown that lasts four years.

You're right that HHH is one of the few credible stars...but only because he is so carefully booked. If they did that with other wrestlers, they wouldn't be in this position.

Well another thing that annoys me, is that Triple H is allowed the "Creative liberty" it seems, to throw out "real" insults, and say "smarky" things about his opponents, almost like he has a personal green light from Steph and Vince, but then at the same time his opponent has to use the same old boring face lingo that stopped being over in 1995. I just don't see how it is a good thing that one of the two is allowed to toe that line, while the other one isn't. How long has it been since an opponent of HHH has gone smart mark on his ass during a promo, besides RVD and his spitting water thing, of course he was promptly buried shorty there-after.

Well another thing that annoys me, is that Triple H is allowed the "Creative liberty" it seems, to throw out "real" insults, and say "smarky" things about his opponents, almost like he has a personal green light from Steph and Vince, but then at the same time his opponent has to use the same old boring face lingo that stopped being over in 1995. I just don't see how it is a good thing that one of the two is allowed to toe that line, while the other one isn't. How long has it been since an opponent of HHH has gone smart mark on his ass during a promo, besides RVD and his spitting water thing, of course he was promptly buried shorty there-after.

That's true too. HHH has plenty of legit faults. When was the last time somebody got to point them out?

During that burial with Cena, HHH called him a transitional champ. Would Cena ever be allowed to say "EVERY champ is a transition between two champs, you fucking roided up mongoloid Lemmy/Flair wannabe moron?"

HHH: The Heel That's Booked Like a Face.

HHH is HORRIBLE on the mic.

Seconded.

I can never understand why people claim he has great promo skills. It's the same boring crap for the past seven years.

EDIT: The point being that a man's true individual heat can only be determined by how they get reactions BY THEMSELVES. Flair will get bood to no end for cheating to beat Randy Savage (or anyone else for that matter,) but then, two weeks after that heat wears off, the man can walk out to the ring, by himself, and have the crowd in the PALM OF HIS HAND booing the hell out of him within one minute. Orton has no such talents. And while charisma is a factor here, the much more important factor is the raw overness of a talent. Men like Undertaker, Flair, HHH, Angle, and Rey (though I've been down on Rey lately because of this cheap-pop-getting Eddie angle) are in the Main Event because if they weren't, well... the reactions that they get from the crowd would make people think "Why the heck isn't this guy in the Main Event?"

RVD says hi. I would rather see RVD in the main event then Rey.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees

HHH is HORRIBLE on the mic.

Seconded.

I can never understand why people claim he has great promo skills. It's the same boring crap for the past seven years.

Hunter has the ability to cut the money promo ("I'm Going to Put the Animal Down" really stands out to me) usually one very good one right around Wrestlemania. His others are a bit plodding, but he does have a very good promo in him when he wants to.

I don't think anything will ever top HHH's "rocking on a steel chair in the middle of the ring" promo on Batista in terms of absolute crappy promo-ness.

Guest shark boy super fan

I find it funny that everyone is so sure that HHH is going to beat Cena at Wrestlemania. personally I'm expecting Cena to get the victory. It won't be based on talent...because regardless of what the Smarks say about HHH he is light years ahead of Cena talent wise, but I think HHH will put Cena over because the WWE wants to build up Cena as a champion. HHH is also light years ahead of marbles in the mouth Batista, yet the Game put that guy over as well.

The main reason...marrying the bosses daughter aside...that HHH is so popular is because he's the best talent on RAW. Now I'm not saying he's the most skilled wrestler, but he's the best mix of wrestling skill and genuine mike talent going now. The only other star in his class is Kurt Angle, and Randy Orton is starting to get there also.

If you look beyond a great moveset, you eventually realize that they need to have great mike skills to get storylines over and make us either care about or hate the characters. HHH is incredibly good at making us hate him. Those are the things that inspire us to buy tickets and thats the bottom line in the WWE.

Name one star in the WWE better on the mike that HHH?

Batista wasn't marbles when they played to his strengths. He's not a 20 minute promo guy. But when he was backstage, saying one or two little cool badass lines, he was great. "Triple H is looking for you." "Really? Was he mad?" It made him look like a tough guy who really couldn't give a fuck. I would say that Triple H put over Batista, were it not for the fact that Batista was immediately shipped to Smackdown after his win. Faces don't move.

HHH is HORRIBLE on the mic. Yes, I said it. Here's a typical HHH promo:

2 minutes of walking slowly down to the ring while his theme plays.

2 minutes of staring at the crowd trying to build "Tension" while it really looks like he's forgotten his lines.

2 minutes of saying he's the best.

2 minutes of mentioning he's got a match at the next PPV.

Another 2 minutes of saying he's the best.

Three more minutes of saying he's the best. Every second sentence begins with "you see."

2 minutes of mentioning he's got a match at the next PPV, where's he going to utterly destroy his opponent.

Face challenger comes out. HHH stares at him for two minutes, trying to build tension.

2 minutes of face getting to the point.

HHH stares at him for two minutes, trying to build tension.

Staredown that lasts four years.

You're right that HHH is one of the few credible stars...but only because he is so carefully booked. If they did that with other wrestlers, they wouldn't be in this position.

i can name one star better on the mic ric fucking flair

Just because HHH is comfortable on the mic and is clear and concise does not make him good at promos. As many people have pointed out, he has been saying the same thing since, what, 2002? He's cutting the same promo on John Cena leading up to Wrestlemania in 2006 that he cut on RVD leading up to Unforgiven 2002. It shows lack of creativity, and his working the crowd during a promo (Other than cheap heat like, "Do you people want to see this match tonight?" "YEEAAH!" "Too bad!" "BOOO!") is terrible.

And yes, he can cut a money promo, but they don't stand out for me because his typical, boring promos are underlying it.

i can name one star better on the mic ric fucking flair
The promo that Michael Hayes cut on Edge a month or so back was better than anything that HHH has ever, or will ever, put out.

Mick Foley & Raven also have the ability to talk circles around HHH.

Just because HHH is comfortable on the mic and is clear and concise does not make him good at promos. As many people have pointed out, he has been saying the same thing since, what, 2002?

1999, actually, but you got the right idea.

Ah yes, we're getting back on topic now... forgot what this post was about.

Well yes, I essentially agree with the last few posts. The reason that this HHH/Cena feud is dead is because HHH gives a smarkish shoot-style stand-up comedy bit that usually ends up putting the audience on his side (which should not be his goal) and then after he talks for about ten minutes about how he is THE GAME, Cena says "You can't see me!" and the crowd boos because it is the 900th time that he has said it. Both men are pretty boring, but when Trips gives himself the "right" to go out there and make "shoot" comments the crowd ends up liking him because it's actually something that hasn't been said before. This has nothing to do with creativity on the mic. It does, however, have everything to do with the fact that everyone else is not aloud to say these things. The man (even when he is booked to lose) books himself as God and won't let his opponents do practically anything in return. The Batista/HHH feud was meant specifically to put Batista over, but whenever I look back on that the only thing that I can remember is HHH standing in the ring talking. I remember nothing of Batista's role in the feud aside from him just standing there and listening to HHH talk.

What I remember about Batista/HHH post-Mania is Batista clobbering Trip in every match, and then HHH coming out the next night and claiming that Batista can't beat him and he deserves a rematch. I actually do think he did a good job of putting over Batista to a point, namely until the first rematch at Backlash, but then the feud dragged on and on long after we had a decisive victor.

I'll probably get shit on by many for this but in my opinion as far as promos go....

Shane "The Franchise Douglas > Triple H

With OR without the cursewords.

It does, however, have everything to do with the fact that everyone else is not aloud to say these things.

Exactly. When Austin was gone from the fed during 2002 who was the only one that got to talk shit about him during that time? Triple H. And when Rock's away shooting movies who's the only one that can really talk bad about him? Triple H.

Excellent use of punctation to illustrate your point, by the way.

Speaking of excellent points (or not), Desperate Housewife is mysteriously missing from this discussion.

Well I don't particularly thing Edge, Funaki or even Flair is as good on the mike as the Game. Granted in his time Flair was awesome, but lately he's kind of become a characture of what he once was.

Now all you ever get out of him is "Woooo!"...to bad because in his prime he was the best in my opinion.

Edge...meh. The guy trips over his own words too often. It seems every time he talks for any length of time he'll be stumbling over his words at the worst possible moment. He doesn't look as smooth or polished as the Game, and isn't as entertaining IMO.

Funaki...Yeah maybe he's the guy!

The majority of the criticism about the Game is because of WHO he married more than anything else. So he married Stephanie McMahon...it's not like she needs a bag over her head or anything.

I always thought she was fairly hot.

Regardless of who he's married to I still think he's the best out there at the moment. Granted telling people the same thing over and over might seem annoying, but pretty much all the starts to that. Austin hasn't really changed his gimmic over the years. It's all a bunch of "whats"..Playing with his watch, and drinking beer. Most all the stars to the same thing until we get sick of them and they have to change.

I wouldn't expect HHH to be any different.

The majority of the criticism about the Game is because of WHO he married more than anything else. So he married Stephanie McMahon...it's not like she needs a bag over her head or anything.

I always thought she was fairly hot.

Alright first of all Funaki was obviously a joke, if not taken as such it's your own fault ;)

and she needs a sock in her mouth more than a bag over her head. But what does her LOOKS have to do with anything discussed here?

HHH is ANNOYING on the mic, usually boring and droing on and on about the same damn thing week in and week out. Hell you can just replace the names and he's been running the same spiel for years now - that's "good"?? Sorry not in my book.

It's good for a heel. I mean the whole idea is for HHH to generate heat, and what better way to piss people off than keep of relentlessly telling people how wonderful he is?

Although I did have a revelation. I realized someone who was actually even better on the mike than the Game. Someone who is ever more

skilled at being an asshole...Vince McMahon

Now that guy is something special.

It's good for a heel. I mean the whole idea is for HHH to generate heat, and what better way to piss people off than keep of relentlessly telling people how wonderful he is?
what's better than boring the crap out of people by saying the same thing over and over again?

people boo because A) They're tired of hearing it and B) Know he'll go on for at least 20 minutes and it pisses them off.

And how does him telling everyone over and over again that he's the best make for "great mic work"? it makes for repetitive mic work, he's very practiced at that one routine that he knows but really to be "great" you got to have range.

Anyone can be booed mercilessly if they drone on and on about the same damn thing each and every show, Cena does it (except he's not allowed to be all "shooty-shot" in his comments like HHH) and they boo Cena. Does HHH think we all have attention deficit disorder or something? Is that why he reminds us that he's the top dog and no one else is even near him every chance he gets?

Yes, yes we get it - you're the King of Kings, the wrestling god with no equal blah-blah-blah like a broken record.

He doesn't stop there. He goes on to say how useless his opponent is....and doesn't allow the opponent to prove him wrong.

The problem is that people don't boo Triple H, because he has become bland and boring. If he's in against someone people like, they boo him. If he's in against anybody else, they cheer him. That's not a good heel. Why should he get booed for telling the truth and then dominating his opponents?

I wouldn't mind HHH on the mic if he didn't take up the first half hour of RAW almost each and every week going on and ON on the mic.

As for Orton, I'm not big on the guy, but I did enjoy his matches with Shelton Benjamin, Edge, and Benoit. Like King Cucaracha said, as much as many smarks don't like him, Orton is a victim of creative. Rather than looking like a solid threat, (he never got a fair shot at being a real main eventer since his token run with the World Heavyweight Title resulted in him being HHH's bitch that was suppose to result in a rematch for the gold that never happened), he spent the last year dicking around with the Undertaker with resulted in him LOSING.

Batista / HHH HIAC - This is how you put over a star.

Orton / Undertaker HIAC - This is how you DON'T put over a star.

And rather than being crowned the Royal Rumble winner to get his chance of finally headlining Wrestlemania, he gets fucked over AGAIN by being the last man eliminated by Rey Mysterio of all people, somebody I might add WWE had no interest in sticking in the WM ME. So what's WWE's brilliant plan? They have Orton CHEAT against REY MYSTERIO to get the title shot, but of course with Rey being popular and all, that only pissed off the fans so it left WWE no choice, but to have Mysterio, the Royal Rumble winner, stay in the main event.

Orton wasn't made to look like a credible threat so when he wins the title, his Wrestlemania glory will be tainted. However, I'd rather have Orton get a serious run with the World Heavyweight Title than fucking JBL being champ again.

Guest Dam(o)nYankees
I wouldn't mind HHH on the mic if he didn't take up the first half hour of RAW almost each and every week going on and ON on the mic.

As for Orton, I'm not big on the guy, but I did enjoy his matches with Shelton Benjamin, Edge, and Benoit. Like King Cucaracha said, as much as many smarks don't like him, Orton is a victim of creative.

Orton is a victim of his own bad wrestling (Someone REALLY needs to tell him that making silly faces during a chinlock doesn't change that its a chinlock) awful mic skills and negative charisma.