TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Which is worse.

I am listening to Tommy right now. It features neither of these songs.  

19 members have voted

1. 1. honkin' on bobo

• Magic Bus
    • Squeeze Box

that entire album has little to be desired. early who is fab. when their live show was outshining every british band in the late 60's. then they got on the piss, became unmotivated, and made some of the worst music ever. thats sort of a stretch, but not really.

Never heard the Live at Leeds version. The studio recording is some of the worst faux psychadelia, though. "Squeeze Box" is on the opposite end of the spectrum from "Magic Bus," but it's still so annoyingly fucking stupid. A crime that they'd resort to such an asanine novelty.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I actually really like Live at Leeds apart from that song, which is the fuckin' closer. So gay.

Oh, that's right. The "Magic Bus" on Live at Leeds is something ass-tarded like 14 minutes long. I don't think I've ever had the apparent misfortune to hear "Squeeze Box," unless I just don't know the name.

Y'all on crack. Out of those two easily Squeeze Box.

Though I do agree with you that the 14 minute long Live at Leeds edition is painfully long.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Oh, that's right. The "Magic Bus" on Live at Leeds is something ass-tarded like 14 minutes long. I don't think I've ever had the apparent misfortune to hear "Squeeze Box," unless I just don't know the name.

Oh you have too.

"and she's playin' all night...but the music's all right..MAAAAAAAAAAAMA's gotta squeeze box, daddy never sleeps at night!"

I figured that I must have heard it before too, but I just listened to a bunch of samples at the iTunes store. Never, ever heard it in my life. Wild. Laura Branigan apparently covered it, though.

Oh, and even the 14-minute "Magic Bus" appears to be better than this "Squeeze Box."

I really really really don't get Live at Leeds.

It really exposes The Who as little more than a five-minute-song rock band (exceptions, yada).

"I Can't Explain" is exactly 2 minutes long. That's the ideal length for any song by The Who.

Of those two songs, I'd say "Magic Bus" is worse.

Hey, that 14-minute "Magic Bus" you guys are talking about is actually "My Generation"—a song I like in its original 3:21 form, but have little desire to hear extended almost five times its original length.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That "My Generation" is more of a medley if I remember correctly, though.

This 16-minute "My Generation" isn't so bad. It just four or five different songs strung together.

The eight minute "Magic Bus" is about to come on. Yeesh, they had space for that but didn't do "I Can See for Miles." Dumb.

So, yeah, I'm listening to Live at Leeds for the first time. I downloaded the two disc deluxe edition, with a (mostly) complete performance of Tommy serving as the second disc. The band sounds great here and yes, some of the performances—notably "A Quick One While He's Away"—surpass the studio originals, but there isn't enough of that to convince me that this is worth a purchase. Also, there's all the between song patter I abhor in live albums—who needs a four minute introduction to "AQOWHA," anyway? Plus, this drawn out, bluesy take on "Magic Bus" is worse than the original. Holy hell.

I still can't believe "I Can See for Miles" is nowhere on here.

Whoa whoa, what the hell kind of thread is this?

Neither songs are worse. There are tons of shitty songs that they've put out that make both these songs look like 21st Century Schizoid Man. Try the overrated as hell "Song Is Over", "Goin' Mobile", "Let's See Action (Nothing Is Everything)" or any of the 80s shit excluding "You Better You Bet" and "Eminence Front".

then they got on the piss, became unmotivated, and made some of the worst music ever

Bullshit. You're forgetting about the "Who Are You" album, where they actually renewed their interests in writing music, and it paid off. As sad as they were in the 80s, a couple of good songs at least spawned from that era. Hell, I'd take 80s Who over 90s Rolling Stones any day.

Oh, that's right. The "Magic Bus" on Live at Leeds is something ass-tarded like 14 minutes long.
Though I do agree with you that the 14 minute long Live at Leeds edition is painfully long.

I just checked, and you're right. "Magic Bus" is only 8 minutes. Still way too long, for both songs.

All of this is utter bullshit. Magic Bus gets TWELVE minutes on Live At Leeds (a ferocious Live album that could probably only be eclipsed by Deep Purple: Made In Japan in terms of Rock) and gets bashed in this thread, yet Jimmy Page gets praised for, what, 27 goddamn minutes of making stupidass noises on his guitar with a violin bow on BOTH the Live versions of "Dazed and Confused"??? Or James Hetfield and his 20 minutes of chanting "SEARCHAYAAAAHAAANNNNN SEEK AND DESTROYYYY!!!!!"??? Ginger Baker's 17 minute drum-fest on "Toad", a drum solo that John Bonham stole for "Moby Dick"??? I call bullshit.

Oh, and I would say that Magic Bus is nowhere near as offensive as "Uneasy Rider" or "Hot Rod Lincoln" so take the spout of bullshit over to that yard.

Also:

All of this is utter bullshit. Magic Bus gets TWELVE minutes on Live At Leeds (a ferocious Live album that could probably only be eclipsed by Deep Purple: Made In Japan in terms of Rock) and gets bashed in this thread, yet Jimmy Page gets praised for, what, 27 goddamn minutes of making stupidass noises on his guitar with a violin bow on BOTH the Live versions of "Dazed and Confused"??? Or James Hetfield and his 20 minutes of chanting "SEARCHAYAAAAHAAANNNNN SEEK AND DESTROYYYY!!!!!"??? Ginger Baker's 17 minute drum-fest on "Toad", a drum solo that John Bonham stole for "Moby Dick"??? I call bullshit.

Where in this thread did you read any of that, you goddamn halfwit?

Oooh, "halfwit", eh? Once again:

Oh, that's right. The "Magic Bus" on Live at Leeds is something ass-tarded like 14 minutes long.

I just checked, and you're right. "Magic Bus" is only 8 minutes. Still way too long, for both songs.

It's all standard for critics of any band that's supposedly less than the Zeppelin standards