TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread

Flip your calendars, we're about to go down the stretch drive of the NHL season. About 20-26 games left in the season, depending on the team.

Also, the Trade Deadline is on March 9.

Rumours has it that Montreal is looking to trade Richard Zednik and Jan Bulis as well.

You know getting rid of Zednik will hurt Montreal in the short term run especially down the stretch for the playoffs

Guest Rrrsh

Nucks need a D man or 2. Looking into Witt from Washington and Wienrich from St Loius, if he comes for nothing.

With so many teams in 'buying' mode, and so many teams looking for a D-man, is it wrong that I'm hoping that the local team goes on a losing streak that lasts until the deadline? I'd love it if the B's were sellers, especially if Hal Gill was someone that was sold.

You might get your wish Nskie, with eight place Montreal earning 12 of a possible 14 points over it's last seven, and upcoming games against the Cats, Leafs and Bolts. Every team south of eighth will be pulling for the Bolts Saturday, as a Habs win will basically solidify them as buyers come next Thursday.

Play a quick game of Fantasy GM with me, Nskie. I'll be Gainey, you be MoC. Please don't kill yourself or most of your team. Whom would be shopped around next week? Say Bonk and cash for Gill, or a pick and a prospect for(insert here).

Not that I'm expecting a trade between Montreal-Boston, for any two teams in the same division anywhere in the league for that matter.

No one does, except for Gainey. I mean, he traded for him in the 1st place. And there's rumors that Avery's going to be headed to Washington for Witt. On NHL.com, it says he's probably headed to the Caps. I put 2 and 2 together.

I want no part of Bonk.

We do?

That question wasn't exclusively meant for NSkie, Max. By all means, you can answer it too....I've heard Raycroft kicked around, but it just seems weird to hear the defending Calder winner as trade bait.

By the way, what's everyone's pick for Calder thus far? I'm still saying Svatos over Ovechkin and Phaneuf.

I still thinks it Lundqvist. While Ovechkin is amazing and carries the team by himself, the Rangers aren't this good without Lundqvist. Just look at Weeke's record with the same teamates Lundqvist has. The top six Dmen on the Rangers are Poti (suck ass), Malik(ok), Rosival (good), Tyutin (rookie), Kasparitis (ok), and Strudwick (fair) and they've given up the second least amount of goals in the NHL. I'm sorry, but Lundqvist is this team, and even with Jagr they are nothing without him. Not only do i think he should win the Calder, but if he keeps this up maybe the Vezina and maybe even MVP consideration too.

By what you just said, Lundqvist is more of a candidate for the Hart than the Calder. Poti's a lot better than anyone in New York gives him credit for, to throw that out there. Valuable and outstanding are different, and Ovechkin's the most outstanding, with Henrik being the most valuable.

I really don't have a problem with Poti defensivley, hes been a lot better latley. But the fact is hes supposed to be a offensive dman, and he just hasn't done anything offensivley this year.

I want no part of Bonk.

We do?

That question wasn't exclusively meant for NSkie, Max. By all means, you can answer it too....I've heard Raycroft kicked around, but it just seems weird to hear the defending Calder winner as trade bait.

By the way, what's everyone's pick for Calder thus far? I'm still saying Svatos over Ovechkin and Phaneuf.

I'd rather hang onto Gill than take on Bonk and his issues. The Bruins already have enough going on with enigmatic forwards (Big Z, Axe, Isbister to name three) that I'd rather hang onto Gill, who is not signed past this season, than Bonk who is.

As for Raycroft, I've made my stance that I don't see the point in trading him, no matter how great Timmay has been. Raycroft must have something else going on that's distracting him and he will get it fixed. There's no way to get true value for him, so why deal him? I've read everything from him headed to Edmonton for Torres/Staios/Conklin/whoever Oil fans want to part with.

Hes just crazy. Its like every game now hes scoring two goals and three assists. I'm so sold on this Ranger team as cup contenders. Its different now speed skills in the NHL and they are just running around the Flyers in circles. The power play is on fire and so is the penalty kill and they don't even have Prucha in the lineup!!

I love this team.

You don't think teams have tried for however long hes been playing to take him out? Jagr's a pitbull, hes huge. You can't get him off the puck, thats why he so freaking good.

edit: and not many of Prucha's goals anymore are on beuaty passes from Jagr. Most are his own amazing like breakaway moves but mosly garbage stuff in front of the net.

I don't think the Rangers can win the Cup, but I think they can make it to at least the Eastern Conference Finals. Until the last couple of weeks before the break, I didn't think they'd find a way to stay in the hunt since I was conditioned to wait for the inevitable collapse.

6-1 win in Philly with Weekes in the net is about the best possible way this stretch run could start.

So, semi playoff predictions?

I'm thinking everyone in the East will currently get in, but Tampa will drop to eighth and bump New Jersey and Montreal up one. Ottawa will also overtake Carolina, but there's way too much to really determine positions at this point.

West will remain as is, the current eight will get in.

Hes just crazy. Its like every game now hes scoring two goals and three assists. I'm so sold on this Ranger team as cup contenders. Its different now speed skills in the NHL and they are just running around the Flyers in circles. The power play is on fire and so is the penalty kill and they don't even have Prucha in the lineup!!

I love this team.

Kinda green, though Jagr would currently head up my playoff fantasy draft, were I a GM. I'd honestly go with Weekes over Lundquist to start the spring dance.

Anyone see Mike Cammaleri's first period goal? WOW.

I love this team.

I'd honestly go with Weekes over Lundquist to start the spring dance.

That would be one of the worst decisions in history.

Guest Rrrsh

Patty Laf is getting his number up in therafters by Buffalo tonight.

He was a treat to watch handle the puck.

Wow, I feel like I've missed a lot ...

RE: Gill for Bonk. As much as I want Gill out of town, another overpaid, unproductive forward is the last thing the B's need. I'd like to see Gill moved for an expiring contract or a young guy earning short money. If the deal could be expande to include Zhamnov (Gill & Zhamnov for Bonk and <someone>) I'd consider it.

RE: Raycroft. While I agree with max that it's more just something that's in his head, I really don't know if the Boston fans will ever welcome him back. Once you lose the faith of the fans around here, it's hard to recover it. Having said that, though, I'd rather the team start next year with a Hannu/Raycroft pairing than move him.

RE: NYR as Cup contenders ... I have my doubts if Lundquist will be able to avoid tiring out by late spring. After playing a lot of games this regular season, and cramming in those Olympic games, it'd be difficult to maintain the level of excellence for an entire post-season run. Rangers will win a round & be eliminated in the 2nd, is my guess.

Wow, I feel like I've missed a lot ...

RE: Gill for Bonk. As much as I want Gill out of town, another overpaid, unproductive forward is the last thing the B's need. I'd like to see Gill moved for an expiring contract or a young guy earning short money. If the deal could be expande to include Zhamnov (Gill & Zhamnov for Bonk and <someone>) I'd consider it.

Bonk's a black hole. He actually makes players worse and has done nothing in the playoffs but disappear. The only way I take him is if Big Z is going out. That's it.

RE: Raycroft. While I agree with max that it's more just something that's in his head, I really don't know if the Boston fans will ever welcome him back. Once you lose the faith of the fans around here, it's hard to recover it. Having said that, though, I'd rather the team start next year with a Hannu/Raycroft pairing than move him.

They'll welcome him back if he plays like he did last night. Good puck control and good positioning means that he's on and he was on from what I saw. I only saw the Kovalchuk goal and that was a blown assignment by Boynton, leaving Kovalchuk alone in the slot is going to be a goal 99% of the time. Only a few morons were chanting "We want Thomas" after the two goals that he let in. If he continues to play like he did last night, he'll take the backup slot from Thomas once Hannu comes back.

RE: NYR as Cup contenders ... I have my doubts if Lundquist will be able to avoid tiring out by late spring. After playing a lot of games this regular season, and cramming in those Olympic games, it'd be difficult to maintain the level of excellence for an entire post-season run. Rangers will win a round & be eliminated in the 2nd, is my guess.

This I agree with. Lundquist has been tremendous, but there has to be a question of fatigue considering all he's done and the fact that the Rangers have to rely on him to win big games since Weekes can't.

My playoff picks are a final four of Ottawa v. Carolina and Colorado v. Minnesota.