TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread

The last thing the Bruins needed was another "decent 3rd or 4th line player", Vigo. The team already has: Isbister, Axelsson, Primeau, LaCouture, Green, Fitzgerald, Langfeld, and Czerkawski. Reasoner's not a horrendous pick-up, but he's not what the Bruins needed, and if Reasoner/Stasny/draft pick was the best package that was offered for Samsonov, they should have kept Sammy.

Samsonov is probably going to be a rental player for the Oilers as I don't see them resigning him unless he falls in love with the city and decides to take less money. What'd you guys expect for him? Bergeron, Stoll, Pronger? Be realistic here. If the Bruins want him so bad they can resign him in the offseason.

Samsonov is probably going to be a rental player for the Oilers as I don't see them resigning him unless he falls in love with the city and decides to take less money. What'd you guys expect for him? Bergeron, Stoll, Pronger? Be realistic here. If the Bruins want him so bad they can resign him in the offseason.

Yeah, Samsonov is most likely a rental player for the Oil. My guess is either Detroit or Chicago next season for him.

And, no, I didn't expect Bergeron, Stoll, or Pronger for him. Then agian, I also didn't expect him to go to Edmonton. If the best offer they got was a 4th liner, an AHLer and a pick from the Oilers, they should have traded him to another team. And if there weren't any offers better than that, then the Bruins shouldn't have traded him at all ... especially if they're going to lie to their fans and pretend that they're still shooting for the postseason.

If the best offer they got was a 4th liner, an AHLer and a pick from the Oilers, they should have traded him to another team. And if there weren't any offers better than that, then the Bruins shouldn't have traded him at all ... especially if they're going to lie to their fans and pretend that they're still shooting for the postseason.

Ding ding ding. You win.

Reasoner was a decent 3rd or 4th line player for the Oilers. He's not going to replace Samsonov's offensive talents that's for sure but you're not getting a sack of potatos here. If Boston's putting their hopes on Reasoner to score them many goals then they're fucked because that's not his game.

Then why did the Bruins take him in return? That's the big question. All of the grind players that they already have clogging up the 3 and 4 lines and they go and trade one of their most explosive players offensively for Reasoner. It just doesn't make sense.

They aren't going to resign him or else they'd already have done it.

It's bad enough that I have to hear about how they're "making a push towards the playoffs" during the NESN broadcasts, but to go and trade one of their biggest chips for what essentially adds up to trading a dollar and getting fifty cents in return is shortsighted and infuriating as a fan. It's mind-boggling that we're supposed to sit here and turn a blind eye to what's going on. Unless they have some big tricks in store for the off-season (and so help me if they get involved in the Marc Savard sweepstakes) to dump millions in salary and find some fucking offensive talent, I'd say the next few seasons aren't looking that great.

Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion passed away this morning, on the day his jersey was to be retired by the Canadiens.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=158150

Habs legend Geoffrion dead at 75

TSN.ca Staff

3/11/2006 10:48:58 AM

Legendary Montreal Canadiens sniper Bernie (Boom-Boom) Geoffrion died Saturday morning, the day he was to be honoured by the club.

The Canadiens announced that Geoffrion, 75, died quietly this morning in an Atlanta hospital following a brief battle with stomach cancer.

In accordance with Geoffrion's last wishes, the family has decided to be reunited tonight at the Bell Centre. The ceremony of the raising of his No.5 jersey will take place as scheduled prior to the game against the New York Rangers. Geoffrion's wife, Marlene, daughter of hockey legend Howie Morenz, his children Linda, Danny and Robert, and his grandchildren will be together tonight to celebrate the life and the career of "Boom-Boom".

Born in Montreal on February 16, 1931, Geoffrion played 16 seasons in the National Hockey League, including 14 with the Canadiens, between 1950 and 1964. After a two-year retirement, Mr. Geoffrion returned to the NHL with the New York Rangers in 1966-1967. He retired permanently at the end of the 1967-1968 season with a career record of 393 goals and 429 assists for a total of 822 points in 883 regular season games. In 132 playoff games, Mr. Geoffrion recorded 58 goals and 60 assists for a total of 118 points.

During his 766 career games with the Canadiens, Geoffrion scored 371 goals and added 388 assists for a total of 759 points. In post-season play with the Canadiens, Mr. Geoffrion earned 115 points, including 56 goals, in 127 playoff games. He also etched his name on the Stanley Cup on six different occasions (1953, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959 and 1960). In June of 1972, Geoffrion received the highest reward for a professional hockey player when he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, on the same day as his teammate and friend Jean Beliveau.

In the summer of 1979, Geoffrion fulfilled yet another dream when he became the 16th head coach in Montreal Canadiens' history, taking over for the legendary Scotty Bowman. Unfortunately, health conditions forced Geoffrion to resign on December 11. Under his leadership, the Canadiens collected 15 wins, 9 losses and 6 ties (36 points - .600) and were at the top of the Norris Division. Geoffrion was also the first head coach in the Atlanta Flames franchise history, from 1972 to 1975. In 208 games, he posted a record of 77 wins, 92 losses and 39 ties (193 points - .416) and led the team to the playoffs in the team’s second year of existence.

Credited with the invention of the slap shot, which earned him the nickname "Boom-Boom", Mr. Geoffrion enjoyed a career filled with several exceptional achievements. He played his first NHL game on December 16, 1950 against the New York Rangers at the Forum. Given a three-game tryout by then General Manager Frank Selke, Mr. Geoffrion scored his teams’ lone goal, on Chuck Rayner, in his very first game, to give the Canadiens a 1-1 tie.

In his first full season with the Canadiens, in 1951-1952, Geoffrion earned the Calder Trophy as the league’s most outstanding rookie, after recording 30 goals and 24 assists in 67 games.

Geoffrion would go on to win several more awards during his career. In 1954-1955, in his fourth NHL season, he won the first of two scoring titles earning the Art Ross Trophy with a total of 75 points, including 38 goals, in 70 games. This performance also earned him a place on the NHL's 2nd All-Star Team, behind his teammate and idol Maurice Richard.

Geoffrion's most memorable achievements occurred during the 1960-1961 season when he became only the second player, after Rocket Richard, to reach the 50-goal plateau in a season. His feat occurred on March 16, 1961, with a goal on Toronto’s Cesare Maniago, in a game played at the Forum. This timely goal also earned him a second NHL scoring title with a season total of 95 points in 64 games. He was also awarded the Hart Trophy as the League's Most Valuable Player as well as a berth on the NHL's 1st All-Star Team.

During the Canadiens' domination in the mid-50's, Geoffrion manned the right point on a power play unit so proficient that the NHL had no alternative but to end the rule that a two-minute penalty be sat out in its entirety even if the team on the power play scored.

Among the Canadiens' all-time right wingers, Mr. Geoffrion ranks seventh for most goals in a season, with 50, tied with Maurice Richard (1944-1945), Guy Lafleur (1979-1980) and Stephane Richer (1987-1988). His 95 points in 1960-1961 ranked him first among all Canadiens' right-wingers until Guy Lafleur surpassed him on his way to his first of six consecutive 100-point season, in 1974-1975.

The Knicks vs Bobcats game (very important) gets MSG tonight, and with the Devils playing on FSN, and MSG2 for some reason showing the Islanders game, I'm shut out of the Rangers tonight.

Fuck you Dolan.

Yea I got it on channel 24, I just don't see how the Knicks STILL get priority over the Rangers, when the Rangers are in first place and instead Dolan puts the worst two teams in basketball on MSG over them.

Boynton's one of the few Bruins left that gives a damn. It looked like he was ready to kill Ribeiro if given the chance. April 1 & April 4, in Montreal, could be very interesting games ... especially since the B's will be long eliminated from playoff contention by then.

Listening to MOC justify the transactions (and more specifically, the non-trades) before the game and during the 1st period made me so angry it's almost laughable. Last night's starting 12 forwards included SIX guys that legitimately should be in the AHL or retired, and that's not including the incoming Czerkawski, Reasoner, or Stasny. It's quite obvious that this is NOT a playoff-calibre team, why NOT trade Leetch, Gill, or even Axelsson (who I like, but am thinking will want to test the FA waters in the summer) and get young players or picks? And yet MOC is saying, "we couldn't afford to give up players without getting players in return" ... why not? Why not just add two or three more AHL'ers to the glorified AHL team already playing in the "Garden"?

That asshole had BETTER be unemployed next year.

They just said on the Hotstove that Leetch told O'Connell that if he was traded he'd just retire instead.

I'm really starting to think the Rangers are a .500 team without Lundqvist. Their shitty play continues and Henrik is just standing on his head. I think teams are watching that Devils/Rangers game from last week and learning how to stop the Rangers. Just stand at the blueline because the Rangers just refuse to dump and chase.

edit: NYLDANDER STRAKA CHRIST FINISH IT DAMMIT! How many times can they miss the open net!??

I'm really starting to think the Rangers are a .500 team without Lundqvist. Their shitty play continues and Henrik is just standing on his head. I think teams are watching that Devils/Rangers game from last week and learning how to stop the Rangers. Just stand at the blueline because the Rangers just refuse to dump and chase.

edit: NYLDANDER STRAKA CHRIST FINISH IT DAMMIT! How many times can they miss the open net!??

We've been mentioning it to you for the past month or so.

They just said on the Hotstove that Leetch told O'Connell that if he was traded he'd just retire instead.

Oh. That's news to me, and it explains why they kept him, so thanks, treble.

Of course, I do have to wonder why a player would want to end his career on such a sour note ... wouldn't it make sense to take a trade to a contender & potentially get one more run in the playoffs?

Atleast they got a point but how do you blow a 2 goal lead with 12 minutes left to the THRASHERS AT FUCKING HOME. Now we go to Carolina in a game were destined to lose.

ugh.

Thank god Philly is like the only team playing just as bad as the Rangers right now. Were still 2 points ahead, only one less than right at the end of the Olympics, and with a game in hand.

Atleast they got a point but how do you blow a 2 goal lead with 12 minutes left to the THRASHERS AT FUCKING HOME. Now we go to Carolina in a game were destined to lose.

ugh.

FUCK! Of all the times to blow a lead from my perspective, they do it to a team hot on my heels?

Come to think of, it with Anaheim tied late and Edmonton losing, this was an awful day for the Canadian teams. Is it just me, or were there a lot of games for a Sunday today?

And about the Rangers collapse, each loss in the five has been by one goal. Add in the fact they outshot the Devils 14-2 in the 3rd period of their loss, and Carolina 17-0 in the third period of that loss, some of it has to do with bad luck.

Things are so bad in Bruins-ville that even the local papers have turned on the team. According to the Globe, it wouldn't be surprising for the Bruins to go winless the rest of the season. (And they're even calling for not only MOC to get the pink slip, but Harry Sinden as well.)

While even I think that going winless an exaggeration, I can say that the B's will be lucky to win half of their remaining games, and will be even luckier to be entertaining in any of them. Just a boring, disinterested team right now.

And it kills me that this team has a very good (although overpaid) goal-scorer in Glen Murray but saddle him with piece o'crap linemates like Primeau, Reasoner or Czerkawski. That's like

overpaying for a nice sports car and then putting cheap-ass cookie-cutter tires on it, and then complaining about how poorly it's running. Just a waste of money & talent. Either trade for a legit center to skate him with, or trade him.

Bergeron's the franchise right now. He's the player that they're (hopefully & presumably) building around ... he's not going anywhere.

And I presume that they tried to move Murray, but he's got a big contract with a few years left on it & has proven that without a top-shelf center that he's not that great of a sniper.