TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

CM Punk

Can someone explain what CM Punk's gimmick is? Both what it is now in OVW and what it was in ROH.

I've downloaded a ton of his matches but have never really heard him do a promo or anything so I've never gotten a feel for what his character is. I know he lives the straight edge lifestyle and somehow incorporated that into his ring persona, but I'm not sure how far he took it. Was he just a total snobbish heel who pushed the Straight Edge stuff onto everybody?

Can someone explain what CM Punk's gimmick is? Both what it is now in OVW and what it was in ROH.

I've downloaded a ton of his matches but have never really heard him do a promo or anything so I've never gotten a feel for what his character is. I know he lives the straight edge lifestyle and somehow incorporated that into his ring persona, but I'm not sure how far he took it. Was he just a total snobbish heel who pushed the Straight Edge stuff onto everybody?

OVW Promo

Punk turns down the Spirit Squad

CM Punk vs. Val Venis (Just thought you'd like to see it)

That's all I could find on YouTube.

CM Punk's character in ROH, was basically an extension of himself.

He used his sXe beliefs as the emphasis for his feud with Raven. The whole storyline behind that epic feud was that, Punk, a young kid with unlimited potential was angry by the ways that Raven, the accomplished veteran went about (drug addict, womanizing, alchoholic). It offended Punk, who wanted to make a name for himself not just for his work but his ethics.

Punk, used this as the catalyst for going against Raven. His catchphrase was "I'm Straight Edge. I am better then you", Punk played off the stereotype of sXer's. The feud lasted most of 2003, the matches were never anything special but it was very similar to Raven/Dreamer in ECW. It was about the story, not the matches. Punk, always got the last word on Raven. Beating him multiple times. It was Raven, in the role of Tommy Dreamer this time.

It was mostly carried by Punk's excellent promo work (the best example would be the backstage promo from Wrestlerave '03-Which I have a transcript for at the bottom of the post) and the intense heat, Punk drew from the crowds with his "I'm better then you" comments.

After, the Raven saga concluded, Raven got the pinfall win but Punk got the last word and Raven was gone. Punk, scaled down the sXe character and was just your typical cocky heel that was slowly getting a forced face turn from the fans. He went against Christopher Daniels's Prophecy teaming with Colt Cabana and Ace Steel as the Second City Saints (reference to all being from Chicago). CM Punk, took Christopher Daniels out of ROH with a Pepsi Plunge (top rope pedigree) through a table.

Punk moved into a feud with Ricky Steamboat which lasted until mid-summer of '04 when Punk officially turned face by saving Steamboat from a beat down.

The SCS moved into a feud with Generation Next (Aries/Shelley/Strong/Evans), Punk was a full blown babyface at this point.

The Samoa Joe-CM Punk triology was cementing Punk's reputation as an excellent worker. Joe-Punk II, is still considered a legitimate ***** match and the 3rd installement was just as good, if not better due to the intensity of the match. Punk, had a brief alliance with Mick Foley.

SCS never really got a definitive blow-off with Generation Next. Punk, moved into a program with the Embassy, led by Prince Nana with Jimmy Rave as the crown jewel. Punk, was now a super-babyface.

The Embassy, did everything to eat at Punk. They took his girlfriend (at the time), Tracy Brooks, out of ROH. They attempted to rub his straight edge tattoo off his stomach. They tried to blind him with bug spray and they tried to crack his skull open again (Punk, in 2002 suffered a fractured skull).

Punk beat Jimmy Rave in a Cage match in his hometown of Chicago, which might be the BEST example of pure "babyface vs super heel" match in years.

Punk, then was announced to have signed with WWE. However, he was owned a title shot against Austin Aries for the ROH World Title.

Many people pointed at the ironic similarity, of this event to Paul London's departure in 2003 (same event, same circumstances). Shockingly, CM Punk won the title and had a masterful heel turn, when 10 minutes before that, even the most rabid anti-punk fans where on his side.

CM Punk ran with the story, that he was holding the ROH title hostage...but he defended it at every show and despite a fierce charge from the roh roster, it took 2 months for Punk to drop the title. Punk, basically played a corporate sell-out who kissed McMahon's ass. Punk, in a 55 minute 4 way dance, put Jamie Gibson over. He left ROH the next night after an emotional 2/3 falls match with his best friend (Cabana) in his hometown.

Punk, arrived in OVW shortly after this. He was basically a no-name for about a month but quickly became a key player in the company.

He plays yet again, a cocky arrogant heel. The sXe aspect isn't a part of him right now. He's been in a very long and very good feud with Brent Albright.

CM Punk WrestleRave 2003 promo transcript (he was bloody and in the locker room after another confrontation with Raven)

"Nothing stops me and before you cut me off (to Cabana). Raven the reason I hate you. The reason in my heart of hearts why I hate you is because I didn’t know any better when I was a little kid, when my dad came home smelling like beer. I thought it was a hard days work he was doing. I didn’t realize he was out at the bar. I didn’t realize work meant unemployment office. I didn’t think it was strange for somebody to come home from work and have to take an old style up into the shower while they showered. I didn’t think it was strange for somebody to pass out. I thought an old style, a pack a day was the norm. Raven, my father is exactly like YOU. And since day one in Ring of Honor, where fighting spirit is supposed to be revered, THINGS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THIS WAY! I’d shake your hand like a normal man but the truth is I don’t respect you; I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU PISSED AWAY. EVERYTHING I SCRAPE, AND I CRAWL FOR, THAT I HAVEN’T EVEN EARNED YET THAT YOU GOT HANDED TO YOU AND YOU FLUSH DOWN A TOILET! FOR WHAT?? FOR PILLS? FOR BOOZE? FOR ALCOHOL, FOR WOMEN? I am born of your poisoned society. So on the 17th July 17th I WILL BECOME A MONSTER TO FIGHT MONSTERS OF THE WORLD. You’re your time in Ring of Honor WILL be done. And this is a PROMISE. THIS IS REAL. THIS IS STRAAAAIGHT EEEEDGE.”

That was a nice little potted history, thanks for that Hawk.

ROH on the wrestling channel has just covered his ROH title win/heel turn and the segement where he signed his WWE contract. Good stuff I thought. I'm really enjoying his character.

Guest Rrrsh

CM Punk is very much like Raven. His ring work get overlooked by some because he is so charicter driven. He isnt the best worker around, but he is far from teh worst and can give you some great intensity to a match.

Well, he doesn't excel in one area. He's a true all around guy.

He does excel in, promos. Probably one of the top five in promo talent in all of wrestling.

His ring-work isn't perfect or pretty but he can do a bunch of different stuff.

Guest BarnacleBill

His recent ovw stuff seems like he's very awkward,they've slowed down his style and he's using mostly kicks,he seems to not know how to do a couple minute promo that goes somewhere,I was a big fan of his roh work but this new cm punk does nothing for me.

His recent ovw stuff seems like he's very awkward,they've slowed down his style and he's using mostly kicks,he seems to not know how to do a couple minute promo that goes somewhere,I was a big fan of his roh work but this new cm punk does nothing for me.

Then what was his WrestleRave '03 promo?

He was talking about his recent OVW stuff.

I'm aware of what he was talking about, but I think it's just kind of funny to say that he doesn't know how to cut a style of promo that he HAD cut in RoH.

Guest BarnacleBill

I'm aware of what he was talking about, but I think it's just kind of funny to say that he doesn't know how to cut a style of promo that he HAD cut in RoH.

I liked punk in roh and thought his promo's there were awesome but in ovw they've completely changed his promo style to be wwe-style promo's were you only get a couple minutes tops and i'm just stating that he seems uncomfortable doing promo's this way.

On another note in ovw the pepsi plunge now being a backbreaker is still weird to me.

Guest The Showcase

I liked punk in roh and thought his promo's there were awesome but in ovw they've completely changed his promo style to be wwe-style promo's were you only get a couple minutes tops and i'm just stating that he seems uncomfortable doing promo's this way.

On another note in ovw the pepsi plunge now being a backbreaker is still weird to me.

while I think the name "Pepsi Plunge" is awesome, the move itself (top rope pedigree) was gayer than a bag of dicks. I don't see why they couldn't just call the backbreaker "Welcome To Chicago" without the "motherfucker".

Does he still use the Anaconda Vice as his finish these days?

Guest BarnacleBill

while I think the name "Pepsi Plunge" is awesome, the move itself (top rope pedigree) was gayer than a bag of dicks. I don't see why they couldn't just call the backbreaker "Welcome To Chicago" without the "motherfucker".

Does he still use the Anaconda Vice as his finish these days?

The anaconda vice is his main finish in ovw.

His feud with brent albright seems like it's been going on since the dawn of man but punk's match w/Doane a few weeks back was good.