TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chirs3

This Week in SWF History

A list of noteworthy matches, events, topics, etc. Just kinda feel like pretending to be a historian for a while, that's all. :P

If I overlooked anything, let me know, and I'll add it in.

From the Fire

- Toxxic def. Landon Maddix in a Total Elimination Match to retain the SWF World Heavyweight Championship!

Other Notable Matches

- Insane Luchadore wins (sort of) Calvinball II!

- Mohammed Koran's Debut

From the Fire

-Charlie "Grappler" Matthews def. Va'aiga in a two-falls match to win the SWF World Heavyweight Championship! (The whole show is awesome, but I didn't want to list every single match on here. :P)

Other

- Monthly Rankings - Toxxic Debuts at #1

Community Board

- DUDES! (comedy matches)

Notable Matches

- Tom Flesher def. Judge Mental

- Frost def. Ejiro Fasaki in a tables match to retain the SWF ICTV Championship

Community Board

- An Open Letter to the SWF

- Annie's Goodbye

Notable Matches

- Mistress Sarah returns!

- H-Ville Thugg def. Spider Nekura via DQ in a No-DQ match. Good luck figuring that one out. :P

- Xstasy def. Fallout, El Luchadore Magnifico, and Sacred in a Double Jeopardy match to claim #1 Contendership to the SWF World Heavyweight Championship

Community Board

- IGN Minor League Title History

- Homework (technically march 5th, but given recent events, I think it's relevant :P)

2001 (IGNWF)

Notable Matches

- The King of Hearts and Adam the Red wrestle to a draw (double-countout) in a match for #1 Contendership to the IGN Minor League World Heavyweight Championship.

- Pimp Daddy Sarp vs. Cyclone Comet (show's gone, don't know who won)

- Rane vs. Simon Flare (show's gone, don't know who won)

- NTD's Cruiserweight Tournament: Lust Full of Rage 2001 - Round 1

------- El Luchadore Magnifico def. Insane Luchadore

------- Brian Fury def. Xero

------- Divefire def. Jay Dawg

------- Masked Man def. Fallout

------- Diablo def. The Sacred One

------- Spike def. Chris Storm

------- "Insane" Joe Flyer def. Iceman

------- Corlindo def. Angel

Other

- Rane ranked #1 in the Official SWF Rankings; Hurricane Red ranked last, at #29.

Edited by chirs3

As absurd as it might sound, it's possible that Tom and Danny never faced in a singles match after they were bumped. Because, y'know... I really don't remember any.

-Z

Guest Evolution

From The Fire 2004 really IS a good PPV. That's got Janus/Duran on it, which was one of my three favorite matches to write.

- Homework (technically march 5th, but given recent events, I think it's relevant :P)

Oh man, this is great:

No, what I really hate is writing long matches for this fed, and then realizing that when I try to write regular fiction, it doesn't seem right without pinfalls and powerbombs. Something tells me that the next Great American Novel isn't going to be helped along by a clever reversal out of a Boston Crab.

Love the walk down memory lane *thumbs up* especially the 05 and 04 From the Fire PPVs

They're setting the bar very high for the 06 PPV but it's always good to have something to shoot for :D

and an actual Hardcore division :o not just "Bruce and the current challenger" but an actual division of guys who prefer those types of matches to the technical/cruiserweight type matches *swoooooons*

Yeah, good luck with that, Bruce; I don't know if there's anybody besides you and IL that actually covet the Hardcore title... Hell, *I* didn't want the Hardcore title when I had the damned thing... ;)

That being said, however, I'm genuinely glad to see that you're so passionate about the belt. I have long been a proponent of the "wrestlers make titles" philosophy, and it's always better to build a division around someone who treats the title as something special than try and get pieces to fit; why, just a year ago, the Hardcore Division was generating a LOT of interest when it was built around a motivated IL, who has proven that, when he is motivated, that he's one of the more engaging writers in the fed. Another great example of building a division around one guy would be Ejiro's run with the US title: He was so entertaining with his title run, and such a great (and underrated) heel, that people were lining up to try and kick his ass. Even Judge's "I'm above this belt" run with the Hardcore title was entertaining, just by the way he wrote.

Also, a couple or three passionate writers with a couple of good storylines can elevate a "secondary" title into something that the whole fed takes notice of. As an example, Danny Williams and Mak Francis had a spectacular feud over the US Title just after I got bumped, made even more memorable to me by the fact that it was almost entirely based on the amazing matches that they wrote. Another good example of a good feud over a "secondary" title was when Landon and Johnny were going back and forth with the ICTV belt; it seemed to me like a lot of character evolution went on during that feud, and both would go on to win the Heavyweight Title.

Just continue to write from the heart, would be my advice; when I was active in the Cruiserweight Division, I always tried to write the World Cruiserweight Title as the most coveted title in the fed... because it was, to me. If you write the Hardcore Title the same way, good things will happen.

- Dub Cee

Well, while we don't exactly agree on the relative worth of the Cruiserweight Title, Drea, I will concede that Tom's treatment of the belt definitely generated interest... some people (me, anyway) were reading his matches and promos just to see how he would disrespect the title. So, if nothing else, you could at least say that while he was the centerpiece of the Cruiserweight division, people were aware of the Cruiserweight Title... more than with some, anyway.

Just continue to write from the heart, would be my advice; when I was active in the Cruiserweight Division, I always tried to write the World Cruiserweight Title as the most coveted title in the fed... because it was, to me. If you write the Hardcore Title the same way, good things will happen.

- Dub Cee

Thank you, I really appriciate your comments. It seems to be my "thing" more than a well thought out mat wrestling psychology driven writing that focuses on reinjuring someone's shoulder or the likes ;) the Hardcore stuff has it's own psychology that I'm more at home with, I think I've made it work for me. And as someone commented a while ago - Blank is a change from the norm of the light, technically proficient characters that we usually see in the SWF which makes him stand out a bit easier so I lucked out in that regard too.

and I will definitly keep it up (and improve it too hopefully) for as long as there is a hardcore/ultraviolent division.

Thanks

I still haven't forgiven Landon for that STUPID stip that he then no-showed :)

And Janus, I'm glad you liked that Ebony cameo. Calvinball II had to be one of my favourite matches to write.

Guest Evolution

From The Fire 2004 really IS a good PPV. That's got Janus/Duran on it, which was one of my three favorite matches to write.

I still haven't forgiven you for that ridiculous kickout from a top rope screwdriver. :P Git.

I used to feel bad about that, but I've let that whole thing go. And at least it wasn't a fighting spirit kickout. Consider yourself lucky.

A promo was discussed where Tom left the Cruiser Title in his car in a bad neighbor hood, and before he left, he turned around, went back to his car and took out the stereo instead of the title. I believe there was an alternate where everything in the car also got stolen, save for the Cruiser title.

God, what fun times...

Guest The Satanic Angel
A promo was discussed where Tom left the Cruiser Title in his car in a bad neighbor hood, and before he left, he turned around, went back to his car and took out the stereo instead of the title. I believe there was an alternate where everything in the car also got stolen, save for the Cruiser title.

God, what fun times...

Reminds me when my CD player was stolen out of my locker, but the CD that was in it was left behind ... I'll save some face and decline to mention the artist of the CD ...

God, what fun times...

We're still waiting for that promo done entirely by a flashbacking Judge Mental action figure.

Sign in to follow this