TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

311 Day 2006

I'm attending 311 Day 2006, on (duh) 3/11, and I'm really excited.

I purchased the 311 Day 2004 2-Disc DVD over Christmas '04. It's gotta be one of the greatest, most bang for your buck music DVDs ever, regardless if you like the music or not. For $19.99, it has **64** full, live performances of the 2004 311 Day concert, bunch of extra stuff, clips of the fan party, etc.

So I've been really excited to go to this show, which was originally intended for New Orleans. At the last minutes (January), it was moved to Memphis, TN (which is awesome, IMO) to the famous Mid-South Coliseum!

I'm heading with a friend to Savannah, GA from Philadelphia, PA. We're making stops in Chicago, IL and Charlotte, NC, where we'll booze up at the airport like only idiots could. From there we'll end up in Savannah, GA, meet up with a friend who goes to college there, and begin the drive to Memphis, TN.

Staying at a hotel in Memphis, and between the atmosphere of the town and the 6 hour concert, plus endless tailgating it's gonna be a LONNNG day.

Afterwards, driving back to Savannah, GA.

I just won a radio contest for a 4 day stay in Clearwater, FL (5 hrs from Savannah), so I think we're gonna end up driving there for some fun, too.

All in all, I think it's gonna be a cool Spring Break where I'll learn about some Southern culture.

In all, between March 10th and March 19th, I'll see:

Leaving New Jersey

Philadelphia, PA

Chicago, IL

Charlotte, NC

Savannah, GA

Drive through Alabama

Drive through Mississippi

Memphis, TN

Possibly New Orleans and Possibly Florida, depends on the cash and our physical state.

Anyhoo, anyone else checkin' out 311 Day?

Make sure you go to Corky's often. God, that place was so good. I recommend the BBQ pork sandwich on one day and the dry-rub ribs the next day. I forgot the name of the place with the fantastic catfish, but it's on Beale and advertises the fact that they have catfish. There was also this one bar, again, name isn't coming to me at the moment, where I had this great Buffalo shrimp poorboy. I forgot what I had at Isaac Hayes, but it was delicious. Basically, just eat a lot and listen to street musicians. You have the advantage over me in that you're over 21 and can get into the bars and clubs; I'm sure you'd have taken advantage of Beale Street without me telling you to, though. If you're in the mood to be a gawky tourist, visit Sun Studio and the Stax Records museum. (Then again, seeing as you're in town for 311, you probably don't really care about the rich musical history of the town.) Anyway, downtown Memphis is really cool. The rest just looks like Milwaukee.

EDIT: Warning you now, the drive from Chicago to Memphis is boring as fuck. NOTHING EVER HAPPENS EVER.

Czech, I'm flying from Philly to Chicago to NC to GA (for $67 I'll deal with a couple hours of layovers).

Driving from GA to TN. Then back from TN to GA. Then flying GA to Philly on 3/19.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, anyone know any cool stops in Memphis, or along the ride from Savannah GA to Memphis? We're gonna go through Alabama and Mississippi, I'm told.