TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

The biggest name to hit ROH yet.

Ring Of Honor is very pleased to announce that NWA Champion Christian Cage is heading to ROH for one night only. Christian will see action inside the ROH ring on Friday, May 12th in Long Island at Sports Plus Entertainment. This will be your only chance to see Christian Cage compete inside a ROH ring. ROH will sign him against a top competitor. We'll have more news on this in the upcoming weeks. Tickets for this event are on sale now at ROHwrestling.com, by calling 215-781-2500 and at Ticketmaster outlets.

Just saw this on DVDR. I can't wait to see who they have facing Christian.

I hope Christian gets in better shape. His TNA run as far as in ring work has been mediocre and ROH's product is based off of in ring work.

That said, he'll probrably get over ok as long as he doesn't pull a Jeff Hardy.

Or Steamboat, Dusty, Eddie Guerrero, etc.

But anyways should be fun to see.

Well, I mean, if you go by CONTEXT you can justify Christian over Dusty (because Dusty, whilst a bigger name back in the day, isn't particularly a draw anymore, is he?), or even Eddie (since 2002 is still a couple years before Eddie won the world title), and if you limit it to solely the United States you can eliminate Mutoh and Kobashi, but I can't think of a single way Christian outclasses Foley.

To be fair, Christian's TNA singles matches have been a carry job with Brown, the title match against dull ol' Double J, and the equally "just there" Bobby Roode. I have enjoyed his matches against AMW and the solo match with Harris though.

Christian's probably not a bigger name, but the fact that he's an active wrestler and a current world champ might carry more cache than the list of retired guys referenced in this thread. Eddie wasn't retired per-se, but at the time no one would have guessed that he had a run in him like the one that he ended up having.

. . .and if you limit it to solely the United States you can eliminate Mutoh and Kobashi

You see, this makes no sense, because if you know what Ring of Honor is, you know who Mutoh and Kobashi are. No one is tracking down Christian saying "He's in this thing called ROH, that I've never heard of,". This isn't as big a draw to Ring of Honor, because they're not really drawing new fans, just making their current ones really really happy.

No need to bother - Kobashi lost the belt to Riko early in '05 (March I think) and the Joe match wasn't till October.

This, isn't the biggest name to hit ROH. It is one of the bigger names, in terms of his status, however. AJ Styles appeared in ROH as the X champ (and I can't say for sure he did as NWA Champ either because I dont know TNA's lineage too well). However, Christian isn't just some person.

He IS the NWA World Champion.

Kobashi still remains the biggest name to hit the ROH ring as of right now. The sales of Joe/Kobashi proves this.

Christian, most likely will face Daniels,Homicide or Shelley. He won't be losing this match and I'm sure TNA wants him to work TNA talent. If Abyss and ROH were still on good terms, I could have seen Abyss use his MITB style contract to challenge Christian for the title in ROH. Of course, it's not a big money match that TNA is holding off.

Good news for ROH fans and good to see Christian, stepping up and be willing to test himself against a very vocal fanbase.

Matt Hardy delivered and I think Christian won't have a problem either.

Guest Rrrsh

Question is, who does he face? And will the NWA let him face someone who will outclass him so badely like AmDrag would?

Oh, alright Rob. I wasn't sure. Thanks.

AmDrag vs Christian would not have my interest at all. Cage/Cabana or Jacobs could be comedic gold, but no one is going to waste a one time appearance on comedy. I'd like to see Cage/Homicide, or Cage/Rave.

AJ Styles appeared in ROH as the X champ (and I can't say for sure he did as NWA Champ either because I dont know TNA's lineage too well).

He did appear as NWA Champion, and only three days after getting the belt. This lead to a minor booking change, as he faced Paul London for the Number One Contender's Trophy, and London was meant to win, but Styles couldn't get beaten anymore. They did a draw instead, and London was awarded the trophy with the reason being he was higher in the Top 5 rankings at the time.

AJ Styles appeared in ROH as the X champ (and I can't say for sure he did as NWA Champ either because I dont know TNA's lineage too well).

He did appear as NWA Champion, and only three days after getting the belt. This lead to a minor booking change, as he faced Paul London for the Number One Contender's Trophy, and London was meant to win, but Styles couldn't get beaten anymore. They did a draw instead, and London was awarded the trophy with the reason being he was higher in the Top 5 rankings at the time.

That's interesting.

A good thing to point out, is that LI was a smart location to have Cage's first and only appearence because it has the reputation as ROH's most markish location.

I think the NWA Heavyweight Title was even defended before in ROH while Styles was the champ. Pretty sure Styles/Sabin on some 2003 show was for the NWA Title, though i could be getting my timeframes mixed up and it could have been for the X Title instead.

I think the NWA Heavyweight Title was even defended before in ROH while Styles was the champ. Pretty sure Styles/Sabin on some 2003 show was for the NWA Title, though i could be getting my timeframes mixed up and it could have been for the X Title instead.

It was at Wrestlerave '03.

And Styles defended the X Division title in ROH too, at Crowning a Champion, against Adam Jacobs and David Young.

I probably went overboard with the biggest name deal. I was going by wrestling matches. Maybe it's just me, but I can't remember Foley wrestling in ROH. And I forgot about Eddie Guerrero at the beginning. That was my bad.

He was involved in a couple, the Bunkhouse Match from Epic Encounter and the Scramble Cage from At Our Best both jump straight to mind but there might have been others as well.

Dusty and Abdullah The Butcher tied for the most lazy appearance in ROH as voted by me.