TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest areacode212

The ONE and ONLY comics recommendations thread

Well Ultimate FF, Ultimate Spidey, and Ultimate X-Men ALL come out next Wednesday, so if they're continuing that trend, I can see why the Ultimate Universe appears to be slowly telling stories, at a rate of 1 release date per month.

Ultimate X-Men is trying to pass off Xavier "dying" or something as a big event, when in reality he & Cable will pop back up at anytime.

Ultimate Spidey had an okay-ish Clone Saga, Spidey finally dumped Shadowcat for MJ, and now he's gonna be doing stuff with the Marvel Knights-type characters.

Ultimate FF I don't read.

I'm now only picking up "Ultimate" stuff in trades.

The two best books that if you're not reading, you should (seeing that Nextwave is done):

X-Factor and Checkmate.

Also currently on my pull list: Justice Society, Green Lantern Corps, Legion of Super-Heroes, Uncanny X-Men

And I've previously been a proponent of New X-Men, but with craptastic artist Skottie Young coming aboard, I just can't recommend it anymore.

I've been a bit underwhelmed but going with the journey for the current x-factor "jamie getting his doubles back arc" but its still one of the best. Thunderbolts has been great.

Well, this is totally random, and years old, but on a whim I picked up a couple of Legion of superheroes TPBs from the library. They kick ass. Mark Waid is very good at team books, and the art's really good. I was surprised, Braniac 5, who I'd never really heard of, is one of the coolest characters ever, if the book keeps going this strong.

Batman Adventures #3

Writer: Ty Templeton

Penciller: Rick Burchett

Pages 1, 2, and 3 can be found here.

Reason: A fabulous look at why Harley is so infatuated with the Joker. He returns to Harley as a perfectly normal, SANE, loving boyfriend completely devoted to her needs. However, Harley despises him for being so. My favorite scene occurs on page 4 when Harley throws a knife at the Joker, who doesn't even realize what happened, and Harley's utter despair, "Snap out of it! I just tried to kill you, and you didn't even blink!"

Just a really neat look at the relationship from Harley's POV offering us a glimpse that maybe she has become as twisted as him and can't accept any other way of life with her Mistah J. Artistically, I love the expressions on Harley and I love the way Harley's drawn. Joker and Bats aren't bad either.

Also one of the few non-Dini written Harley stories that I like. I also like Batman Adventures #28, mainly for the scene where Harley and Joker are escaping from Arkham but be warned, the story itself is kinda weak but the artwork of Harley is good.

Detective Comics #831 came out recently and was about Harley. Written by Dini too. I though it was a good read.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to picking it up at some point. Right now, I'm waiting for MHC to offer the Batgirl Adventures #1 special before I buy a batch of the Harley comics I have on my "list of comics to get" though.

881e224128a0419e20193010._AA240_.L.jpg

Superman: Speeding Bullets from DC's Elseworlds, its Superman with Batman's backstory (except the Waynes find Kal-El instead. They name him Bruce and raise him until they get gunned down by the mugger, etc.) so basically you get to read Batman using Superman's powers. Its so cool. Definitely one of the best issues of DC's version of What If? since Superman: Kal and Superman: Red Son

I never really got into The Incredible Hulk character.

Then I read, in order: Incredible Hulk #105, World War Hulk Prologue: Worldbreaker, Incredible Hulk #106, and World War Hulk #1.

Brilliant storytelling, really good art (some better than others)...The Hulk is now just one of the best characters I can think of.

I used to hate John Romita Jr's art when he worked on Spider-man. The style he developed never changed between characters and it seemed like he wanted to give off the impression of "old school" style with a modern twist. When I heard he was doing the art for WWH I was slightly pissed but still picked up the book. I have to say since reading it that the art didn't get to me too badly (except seeing Peter Parker's "resemblance" in several characters) and I really think overall it's a great book. While they kept it to a small saga, part of me still would have liked it to have been just Incredible Hulk 106-108 & WWH 1-5 like I originally heard was planned. I'll pick up a few of the spin offs but there's no way i'll get everything.

"While they kept it to a small saga"

Off the top of my head...

WW: Hulk Prologue

WW: Hulk #1-5

Hulk for the next months

Ghost Rider #12-13

Ant Man #10

Heroes for Hire

WW Hulk: X-Men #1-3

WW Hulk: Frontline #1-6

WW Hulk: Young Avengers

WW Hulk: Gamma Corps #1-4

Avengers: The Initiative #4-5

Iron Man issues

Oh and by the way, in this week's She-Hulk #19, the Hulk War has already ended. They talk about Hulk's rampage in NY in then past tense. Hilarious.

Reccomendations:

"The Last Temptation of Eddie Brock" in the usually horrible Sensational Spider-Man

"To The Devil His Due" in Daredevil

the Astonishing X-Men arc is pretty good but the book never comes out

She-Hulk is great

Fantastic Four was realy good this week

Walking Dead is gonna try to pump out 18 issues this year

I really like the new group in Avengers: The Initiative

I have no idea what the fuck is going on in New Avengers, but I love the art. OMGZ MY GF IS A SKRULL. Fuck skrulls.

Black Panther is really sharp. Great writing and gorgeous art. And the FF to hang around!

Just picked up the first Irredeemable Ant-Man trade from Robert Kirkman, and without a doubt Kirkman is now solidified as one of my top three favorite writers. The new Ant-Man is the biggest jerk to ever put on a superheros costume. Made me really sad after reading it when I found out they are canceling it after issue 12, still though I highly recommend it.

Serious? That sucks. While I never really got into the new Antman title, it was still a decent read. That and Kirkman is probably my favourite writer at the moment.

Just finished the 3rd Invincible Hardcover. That book just keeps getting better. Invincible really is the best new character of this decade in my opinion.

Guest tonyjaymzretro

never been a big Superman fan but just read Action Comics 775 and fuck if that didn't turn me into a Superman fanboy. That has to be the single best Superman story I've ever read.

Anyone else reading New Avengers? I felt the last issue was a little weak, but aside from that its the book that I always read first when its in my bi-weekly pile.

If you have 15 bucks to spend on a graphic novel right now, do so on Architecture and Morality, by Brian Azzarello and illustrated by Cliff Chiang. Ever wonder what happened to all those weird Silver and Golden Age characters during the DC Crises? They're right here, in this metatextual classic. So many great characters, with some of the greatest banter ever. It's amazing that insanely stupid character concepts can turn so awesome when they are used to break the 4th Wall.

For Christmas my parents got for me this gem of an issue; Lex Luthor: The Unauthorized Biography. This was written in 89 so somethings have been since retconned, but if you have never read this story, it is quite the wild ride.

Anybody reading All Star Batman and Robin? I just checked out a couple of these- and what the hell? Batman is a borderline sociopath that crossed the border, Dick is... well, Damien-like, almost. Heck, in the issue I just read, Batman and Black Cannary had sex on the docks int he rain.

What the hell is this book?

I picked up the first issue of All Star Batman & Robin and promptly dropped it. Frank Miller really missed on this one.

Anybody reading All Star Batman and Robin? I just checked out a couple of these- and what the hell? Batman is a borderline sociopath that crossed the border, Dick is... well, Damien-like, almost. Heck, in the issue I just read, Batman and Black Cannary had sex on the docks int he rain.

What the hell is this book?

Awesome?

But honestly, is it supposed to be a parody of Batman and 90's comics or is Miller just a parody of himself?

I don't know what Miller is trying to do with this. Also Jim Lee's art work although amazing just does not mesh well with Millers writing at all.

Whatever the fuck Miller's doing is brilliant, no matter what. Fuck the haters.

Dark Knight Strikes Again is a brilliant, beautiful funny book. Now he's doin some new shit. Miller's style changes every 1 to 2 years.

I just want to throw out that the new X-Force is developing into a nice read. Issue #3 was awesome and provided lots of mark-out moments as some very scary individuals have been revived.