TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Are we currently witnessing the complete and total decay of society?

I've lived in and around the city of Waterbury, Connecticut my entire life, and for the past 5 years, I've worked there as well. While my mother often speaks of a time when things were good in the city, for as long as I've ever known it, it's been a complete and utter shithole, now more then ever. While just randomly walking around the mall I work in while trying to kill time while on break today, I've noticed that not only have things in this city, or any city for that matter, not improved, they're actually getting worse. What do I see just walking around the mall for 15 minutes? I see kids as young as six just loitering, attempting to come up with elaborate schemes to distract the employees at EB while they pocket Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I see girls as young as eight openly groping their boyfriends that are five, ten, or sometimes even more years older then they are. I see children, teenagers, and adults with no clue at all how to properly behave in a public situation, and not only do they not know how to behave, but they give birth to obnoxious children that grow up to be even worse then the parents. I see girls as young as 12 who are pregnant, I see 18 year old girls that already have a child and are pregnant with a second or a third, with no clue who the father of any of them might be. I see people that can't even put together a grammatically correct sentence in English OR Spanish. I see parents that need their children to speak English for them because they're not capable of doing so themself. I see teenagers that couldn't even name one fuckin song by the Beatles, but can name every track off the latest Daddy Yankee or My Chemical Romance album.

Is this truely what we have come to as a society? Will we come to a point where one day Americas urban cities have no majority race, no definitive language, and no definitive culture? Has anyone even considerd the consequences of the generations of families that are giving birth to children at 14, with people becoming Grandparents in their Early-30's? Does anyone have any sort of guess as to what led society down such a rotting cesspool where Basketball Players and Football Players make millions a year but can't read or write, or where people on Welfare can go to the meat market on the first of the month and buy Filet Mignon and Prime Rib for themselves and their seventeen children, while I can barely afford a couple hamburger patties? People worry about possibly dying in a nuclear haulocaust twenty years from now, but I worry about being stabbed to death in the parking lot of the mall tomorrow by some guy who wants to steal my wallet and the six dollars I might have in there at any given time. Why does the city continue to build beautiful section 8 housing which will be destroyed in less then a year, while I can't afford 700 dollars a month to rent a two room apartment? What happened that forced the hard working people in this country to work even harder to make ends meet, while the idiots who aren't even capable of tying their own shoe get to sit at home and watch Maury all afternoon?

I know a lady who has eight daughters - one of whom (a pretty responsible teen) who works, while the others are all under 10 years of age - a deadbeat husband and no time for a job.

She brings in $1,800 a month in food stamps. The kids couldn't be anymore willing to sacrifice trivial things for thousands of dollars in candy, ice cream and oher stuff. By the way, she also has WIC stamps, which is another $500 a month in dairy products and cereals. Her oldest daughter is also being paid BY THE STATE to babysit the kids on the weekend. The older daughters are old enough to watch the younger ones, so it relegates the mom to simple house chores.

I think I'm working in the wrong direction here.

This is the funniest whiniest post I've seen in some time. If you seriously hate this pit of hell known as Waterbury, CT so much, then (gasp) move to somewhere with a lower standard of living and get a real job. If the job you're working doesn't allow you $700 rent, you can probably find a job of similar caliber in any place you go. Or just keep hating on our obviously collapsing world, and shaking your fists like you can't do anything about it. Your life isn't as bad as that of a welfare family, and if it is, then you're managing your life incorrectly.

700 bucks a month for a two bedroom apartment? Jesus. A nice two bedroom apartment in Norman is like 400 a month.

See that? Save $3600 a year living in Oklahoma! And hang out with Dama.

This is the funniest whiniest post I've seen in some time. If you seriously hate this pit of hell known as Waterbury, CT so much, then (gasp) move to somewhere with a lower standard of living and get a real job. If the job you're working doesn't allow you $700 rent, you can probably find a job of similar caliber in any place you go. Or just keep hating on our obviously collapsing world, and shaking your fists like you can't do anything about it. Your life isn't as bad as that of a welfare family, and if it is, then you're managing your life incorrectly.

So basically what you're saying is workharder.jpg

700 bucks a month for a two bedroom apartment? Jesus. A nice two bedroom apartment in Norman is like 400 a month.

See that? Save $3600 a year living in Oklahoma! And hang out with Dama.

The argument that one could move elsewhere to a place with a lower cost of living is false, as it assumes that one would be paid the same amount of money for the same amount of work as one gets in the place with a high cost of living.

Anyways, you're missing a point. I'm not whining about anything, my life is fine, I make enough money to keep myself busy, and I'm graduating from college in a few years in hopes that maybe some day I can get a better job doing something else. The point is that I'm angry about what I see the clear injustices of our society.

The Norman yearly rent would pay about 2 or 3 months for a two bedroom in NYC. You can't even get a decent studio for less than 700 here.

So basically what you're saying is workharder.jpg

He's goin' JPEG on you, Edwin, you better just hoist the white flag now.

I see teenagers that couldn't even name one fuckin song by the Beatles, but can name every track off the latest Daddy Yankee or My Chemical Romance album.

In 1963, naming every song of the latest Beatles album was a sign of the downfall of society. Not saying MCR is in the same universe as the Beatles, but I don't think you can gauge social decay by presuming that 14-year-olds don't know the whole Beatles back catalogue. Whatever, you're dumb, I don't feel like talking to you any longer

He's right on that front. Most people are ignorant about history, regardless of era. Hell, my dad struck up war against my grandparents over Elvis, who they felt didn't play real music.

People are getting dumber, though. Most of the teens and kids around here make me shake my head, but then I consider that their parents are but 16 or 17 years older than them and it's tough to pin the blame entirely on the kids.

I'm 18 years old. I'm the hardest worker in my family with an actual 9-5 job (my dad is out of employment right now due to suing his job or some shit) and my brother and sister are "GANGSTER THUGS" who get left back every year in school and will either get hurt and/or pregnant if they don't cut the shit and don't get in over their heads.

And my mom? I haven't seen her in 10 years, but last I heard she was a bartender in some biker bar.

Run for the hills, stupid people are everywhere.

I'm sure while you were growing up people marvelled at your stupidity and pondered about the looming fall of society.

It's nothing new. Your old values are crumbling. Society is accepting new ones. I say just deal with it.

I really don't get what the jpeg attack is actually supposed to mean. The best I can get is "goddamn gummint taken my money and given it to the po' folk," which is asinine.

Also, if you're in college, then I can understand why it might be difficult to afford your rent, and why you're locked into a location. The hysterics about the total decay of society are still a bit much, though.

You made it sound like this automatic cycle that's just gonna be there and keep going without realizing what was actually important about generational gaps.

. I see people that can't even put together a grammatically correct sentence in English OR Spanish. I see parents that need their children to speak English for them because they're not capable of doing so themself.

God damn those evil people!

I live in Bristol, CT now...

Home of nothing but old people and the biggest Ghost Town I've EVER seen.

Coming from life in the Bronx is definitely a big culture shock. Rent is CHEAP here. I've got a 1 BD apt that goes for 525 a month...when you'll pay at least double that in the city.

But getting back to the original point, I blame MTV. Seriously.

I'd explain in more detail but anyone who's turned on MTV in the last 3-5 years has seen the influence this shit has had on today's society. It seriously pisses me off. It basically encourages stupidity, being anti-authority and being sexually active (be it gay or straight), despite the fact that the shows main viewers are 14+.

And this comes from someone who actually used to watch MTV on a regular basis up until about 3 or 4 years ago.

Dames

I see kids as young as six just loitering, attempting to come up with elaborate schemes to distract the employees at EB while they pocket Yu-Gi-Oh cards

Eh, I stole a few candy bars in my youth, too.

I see girls as young as eight openly groping their boyfriends that are five, ten, or sometimes even more years older then they are.

Where were these types of chicks when I was that age?

I see children, teenagers, and adults with no clue at all how to properly behave in a public situation, and not only do they not know how to behave, but they give birth to obnoxious children that grow up to be even worse then the parents.

Hmm, this is tricky for me. There are many things I do that would be considered improper in public situations, but most of them are done in defense as a result of a product of the underclass; you have to fight fire with fire, imo.

I see people that can't even put together a grammatically correct sentence in English OR Spanish

My “WTF is wrong with you?!” came when I was 18. I was working at an arcade and we had these games where people could win tokens for our lame prize booth. Well, these two kids from the city (I’m guessing around 8th-9th grade) were trying to redeem their tickets and asked me if they had enough for these two crappy prizes. One was worth nine tokens and one was worth six. These two had 20 tokens. I asked them what’s 9+6 – THEY DIDN’T KNOW. I said they had just enough and gave the extra five tokens to this kid behind them that was able to do basic math; the look this kid’s mom had when those two aforementioned kids couldn’t add 9+6 was priceless.

I see teenagers that couldn't even name one fuckin song by the Beatles, but can name every track off the latest Daddy Yankee or My Chemical Romance album.

That doesn’t bother me too much, although I had an “Alvin and the Chipmunks Sing the Beatles” album when I was a kid, so I always knew “A Hard Day’s Night,” among a few others. I guess I should be thankful I don’t know who this Daddy Yankee or Chemical Romance is.

The solution to your predicament is simple: Move to the suburbs. And when the city trash begins to reach the outer limits of suburbia (and they will because the government always likes to try these failed assimilation programs where they give to welfare recipients for free what your family spent a lifetime working for), move again.

It's called "white flight" and it rocks (although anyone who is relatively well-off and has half a brain engage in this practice, no matter what their race is). :headbang:

I live in Bristol, CT now...

Home of nothing but old people and the biggest Ghost Town I've EVER seen.

Bristol was actually a very nice city, untill they decided to level all the factories and eliminate most of the jobs in the 80's when they built a Shopping Mall that was never able to do any significant buisiness.

People are getting dumber, though. Most of the teens and kids around here make me shake my head, but then I consider that their parents are but 16 or 17 years older than them and it's tough to pin the blame entirely on the kids.

Yeah, all these single mothers who had their kids at 16 aren't as culturally literate as the Gilmore Girls. Maybe if spman moves from Waterbury to the fictitious hamlet of Stars Hollow, he can find happiness, where they can make obscure references to things like the late-70s CBGB-centered NYC rock scene, works by the "Lost Generation" of 1920s American literature, or Star Trek at the drop of a hat.

How old are you spman?

You sound like a 65 year old grouch.

You must be too young to be bitching about the way things used to be,

and oh, Red Hot Thumbtack wants his nationalist arguments back.

If you want to move away from there, please don't move anywhere near me.

I mean with this and your complaining of all the drama associated with sexual harrasing your female coworker, you're just stellar.

you should see my old neighborhood here in Yonkers. It has gotten 10 x worse than the last time I saw it 4 years ago.

thankfully we moved to a nicer area this time around.

I try not to think about society but yea American society is going downhill fast.

Mine's...been the same since we moved in...hrmmm...11 1/2 years ago. Still a crackhouse or two down the street, still a few of the same neighbors, not as many annoying kids (but the few kids around are extremely annoying because they're "tough motherfuckers," the kind that talk shit when I'm on the porch having a smoke and then as soon as I step off they run), bunch of old people...only thing that's changed for the worse is that nobody in the neighborhood talks to each other anymore. Everybody used to always at least say hello, but now? Nope, not at all. We avoid each other.

But my town, altogether, is becoming pretty shitty. Franklin went from a nice quiet little farm town back in the 50's to a good suburb in the 60's and 70's, then the 80's started seeing more and more low-income housing and the scumfucks from Woony and Milford (which at one time in the 70's was the drug capital of the US) filtering now, mid-90's wasn't too bad, but now we got a bunch of pricks everywhere that try to start shit with everybody.