TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HBK16

Rarest comic books

Guest HBK16

I thought this might be an interesting talk.  I am not sure if this has been discussed.  I am not in here too much but when I am I just snoop around.

Guest starvenger

Well, if you're talking rare, Action Comics #1 is probably one of the rarest, if not THE rarest.

Guest gthureson

DK2 #3 will likely end up being pretty rare too.   Frank Miller will probably end up having the only copy, and even that one will only be half-finished.

Guest Sassquatch

Rarest comics around:

Action Comics #1 is estimated up to 75+ copies exist, 1 in NM/Mint condition.

Issues 1-10 of Action Comics are all scarce to rare.

Adventure Comics #61 is estimated up to 100 + copies exist, 7 in NM/Mint condition

Adventure Comics #73 is estimated up to 100 + copies exist, 7 in NM/Mint condition

All American Comics #16 is estimated up to 35 + copies exist, 3 in NM/Mint condition

All American Comics #19 is estimated up to 80 + copies exist, 5 in NM/Mint condition

All American Comics #25 is estimated up to 120 + copies exist, 6 in NM/Mint condition

All Star Comics #1 is estimated up to 200 + copies exist, 6 in NM/Mint condition

All Star Comics #3 is estimated up to 150 + copies exist, 6 in NM/Mint condition

Batman #1 is estimated up to 250 + copies exist, 16 are in NM/Mint condition

Captain America Comics #1 is estimated up to 180 + copies exist, 8 are in NM/Mint condition

Detective Comics #1 is estimated up to 30 total copies exist, 1 in NM/Mint condition

Detective Comics #27 is estimated up to 50 + total copies exist, 1 in NM/Mint condition

Those are the leaders in scarce to rare comics.

Guest DrTom

"DK2 #3 will likely end up being pretty rare too. Frank Miller will probably end up having the only copy, and even that one will only be half-finished."

No shit. I've been waiting -- what is it, three months now? -- for this book to come out. It's not like DK2 #1 and 2 are as good as anything in Miller's original series, but the story he's set up isn't bad, and I'd like to see how it ends before I'm as old as Brucy Wayne.

Guest Some Guy
I'd have to say Amazing Fantasy #1 or #15.

My Uncle has #15, as well as X-Men, Hulk, Siderman, Fantastic Four and few other old #1's.

Guest Sassquatch

Amazing Fantasy #15 is actually pretty common and it ranges from good (GD) to near mint (NM).

Usually any comic post 1956 is pretty common considering that most comics before 1956 were burned or ripped to shreds because of the "Seduction of the Innocent" which was a book written in order to pass off the blame of children's misdeeds onto comics.

So no, Amazing Fantasy is not a rare book when compared to the books I listed earlier.

Guest pochorenella

Does anybody here actually OWN any of these rare comics? That would be interesting to know.

I don't know if it's rare or anything, but I think the oldest comic I own is Iron Man #99 (first series) and the oldest TPB I own is the original Son of Origins book (the new printings don't have Nick Fury or something like that.)

Guest Daredevil21

I don't have any of the ones mentioned, but I do have a ton of old comics. I have the first Avengers, Daredevil, and a ton of old Amazing Spider Man, and Fantastic Four books. The oldest Spidey comic that I have is the fist appearance of the Lizard. I have other ones that are somewhat rare like the first appearance of Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four. I have them all stored away in my closet, and I may go through them all in a couple of weeks, cause I know I have a lot of dubs of the Amazing Spider Man and Daredevil.