TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Longdogger_Pete

The Commentator Issue

God damn computer. My bro's wouldn't load my reply. Anyways...

I disagree with Grand Slam and agree wholeheartedly with Mak: I used to adore the three-man team of King, Edwin, and Axis solely for the fact that they had a ton of history and personality. I think personality works well to help people drive the action and keep things fresh; at least, I know I did.

But Grand Slam also has a point, which is why I'm against Edwin: Backstory can complicate things. History and character can as well. I find it pretty hard to see Edwin coming back and simply sitting idle.

With CIA, I think his personality is sufficiently established (Fun babyface, very much in the vein of Edwin), but he lacks the complications while having a similar personality. I could dig up some of his old stuff, and personally I find it easier making Canada jokes instead of Superhero jokes.

Frost would be cool, but it's hard for me to imagine writing a bad-ass 'face' (If you could really call him that o.0) and a smart-ass heel working as a commentating team.

Anyone up for rotating teams? It's been discussed before, and it might be good just to see how some teams would work out.

If you're going the rotating commentators route, perhaps it could be turned into a mini-angle where the various hopefuls compete to take a permanent spot behind the desk. I dunno, just seems like a fun little thing to do.

Plus it would give both the older and newer writer's a chance to try different styles and see what's most comfortable for them, and then vote from there.

I'm going to co-sign with my fellow old man... :D

I don't get the big deal about "bland" commentators myself; Gordon Solie was pretty "bland," and he was merely the greatest of all time. Jim Ross, at his best in the late-80s and early-90s, was pretty "bland."

I happen to be of the opinion that when you're so concerned about getting over the personality of the commentators that it impedes your match writing, then the commentators having a personality becomes a problem. That's why, at the risk of not being "true" to the characters, I try to just write the guys in a way that helps put my match over, and don't worry too much about whether or not they would actually talk like that.

As far as rotating teams, I'm not sure about that, but if we do decide to do that, one thing I always liked about how the WWE used to have seperate announce team was that they used their best announcers on PPV (eg, Ventura/McMahon on Show A, Monsoon/Heenan on Show B, and Ventura/Monsoon on PPV), so I'd kind of like to see that.

Actually, I'm kind of digging Muzz's idea here... between now and BG, every show could have one new commentator - Comet/King, CIA/King, Axis/King, etc (unless we want to replace King too - we don't, do we?)... then we have the poll afterwards.

Thoughts?

Edited by chirs3

Rotating teams would be good, whether as a trial for an eventual poll or just running.

Incidentally Crowe, I saw the opening of the Commonwealth Games today. Don't try and tell me you didn't have a hand in that, you stoner.

Sign in to follow this