TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops: NCAA Tournament Rounds 1 and 2

Guest Princess Leena
Umm no. Pretty sure Texas won last night. And really, once they got healthy, Bradley was probably the 2nd best MVC squad, so it's a pretty even matchup as far as conference postion.

Kansas tied for the Big 12, and won the tournament. So, they were the best Big 12 team. I concur about Bradley being better than the 5th MVC team... as they improved later on in the season. But, the injury excuse is null.

Umm no. Pretty sure Texas won last night. And really, once they got healthy, Bradley was probably the 2nd best MVC squad, so it's a pretty even matchup as far as conference postion.

Kansas tied for the Big 12, and won the tournament. So, they were the best Big 12 team. I concur about Bradley being better than the 5th MVC team... as they improved later on in the season. But, the injury excuse is null.

Yeah but they backed into that tie for the championship b/c of A&M winning on a last second shot. It's just like OU winning the Big XII last year. They only won b/c Kansas lost.

Guest Princess Leena
I think what happened was a lot of people saw the run they made at the end of the season, heard the name Kansas, and went "Oh well they should do well" and we all forgot that they start 3 freshmen and 2 sophomores and that they started the season 3-4.

I know... but, I try not to look into the youth of teams much anymore, because many of the big name programs play a lot of kids. Any of us could say the same things if UCLA, Florida, etc... lost. Iowa plays just about only seniors, and they still lost. I hate this tourney.

The problem I think is that everyone plays their hearts out and basketball isn't one of those games like football where you're just so much bigger and stronger that the other team has no chance unless you just take the game off.

So everyone comes to play hard from the small conferences and the big conference teams go "oh well we'll turn it on when we get to the Sweet 16 and play other major teams" and then they get in a game and realize "these guys are for real!" and then they just can't turn it on.

The "problem" with the tourney is not that everyone from the small schools plays hard which makes it difficult for the name programs, it's simply that a lot of the small schools are perimeter oriented. Very few have the size to match up with the UConn's of the world so they are going to live and die by the 3, a gimmick offense, or a shut down 'D' and if they get hot for 35 minutes or so on the right night it's lights out for a powerhouse. How many teams were shooting nearly 60% in that first round and still barely won games or even lost? The three point shot is the great equalizer in the tourney and if you've got no hope on the inside it's not the worst thing in the world.

In football, you can't live and die by the 20+ yard pass against the best schools because it'll be 3 and out, punt, and play defense and that won't win you any games. You'd be lucky to not get a crooked number in the 60s dropped on you with that mentality, but in the NCAA tourney that gameplan could end up giving you a 3 point win over a team seeded 10 spots higher, and that's why most people watch it religiously.

Good point. I never thought of it that way. But these smaller schools I think do come to play harder in the first couple of rounds than the bigger schools.

I didn't get to watch the UConn/Albany game until the very end but did UConn finally look not bored or are they still looking like they want to take a nap instead of play b-ball?

How many different lineups did Calhoun use? I heard he was firing everyone out there to try and figure it out.

The biggest problem is no matter how good Williams does running the offense, hes a terrible defender and the Albany point guard got penetration every single time down the court. Calhoun finally figured everything out when he put Austrie and Williams out there together with Austire shutting down the Albany point guard and Williams running the offense.

And what was wrong with Texas? I didn't get to see that game b/c I had to go out with my gf(i feel like the bud light daredevil). So why did they have trouble? They should've blown Penn away.

It can't just be me, but isn't Duke's 2nd round game always nationally televised? On Demand can't even save me from being stuck with this game.

Another annoying thing is Duke never has to leave the state for the first two rounds every year as a North Carolina site always gets one of the "pods." This is another glorified home game.

Penn's offense bored them to death, and was very effective.

Haha. Well I was wondering what the problem was b/c Texas should've blown them away.

Fuck. The first round wasn't too good for me. I missed 9 games, 3 messed up my sweet sixteen, a one was in my elite eight. 23/32 isn't that bad, but it's not the greatest.

Here's to round two baby !

If GW can actually hit shots, they can win this game even down 11. Also I now know what Duke Homerism is. If you are going to call the fouls on GW, u better call the same ones on Duke and surprisingly that is not happening.

Surprisingly?

Bored, I know what you mean. Every year on Saturday I am always tortured with some boring Duke squash of an 8 seed. I am sick of it and demand other games start at this same time so I can avoid this crap. Do any of you recall that hideous Duke/Seton Hall squash from a couple years ago?

I went 24/32 in the first round. The stuff I missed were some of the 7/10 and 8/9 games, also I didn't call Michigan St. or Nevada going down (not that I thought either was worth a shit or going past 2nd round). I also had that bonehead Iona pick over LSU, which is the only one that could fuck my bracket badly if LSU goes beyond the next round.

It can't just be me, but isn't Duke's 2nd round game always nationally televised? On Demand can't even save me from being stuck with this game.

I'm pretty sure it's because Duke's awesome and everyone wants to see them play. They're such a polarizing, hate them or love them kind of team that everybody usually has a rooting interest. The other side of the coin is that they always destroy everyone in the second round, but what can you do. I guess that what happens when you're the premiere basketball program in the country.

Other than seeing Redick, I have no interest in Duke. I rather watch Gonzaga all the time. Or Michigan St. Fucking Michigan St., they have to be the most underachieving team in college basketball.

I'm pretty sure it's because Duke's awesome and everyone wants to see them play. They're such a polarizing, hate them or love them kind of team that everybody usually has a rooting interest. The other side of the coin is that they always destroy everyone in the second round, but what can you do. I guess that what happens when you're the premiere basketball program in the country.

When did you switch from Georgia Tech to Duke?

Thank's for the insight, Dickie V.

Georgia Tech's still my team, but their not in the tourney this year, and I really like watching Duke play. They've always been a guilty pleasure of mine, as they were the first team I got into as a little kid, and they're my pick to win it all this year, so I want to support them.

Actually, my favorite team that's still alive right now is Montana since I'm back home in Missoula right now, and everybody's hyped about the Grizzlies. If they beat BC today, it will be the biggest win in school history.

Georgia Tech's still my team, but their not in the tourney this year, and I really like watching Duke play. They've always been a guilty pleasure of mine, as they were the first team I got into as a little kid, and they're my pick to win it all this year, so I want to support them.

Actually, my favorite team that's still alive right now is Montana since I'm back home in Missoula right now, and everybody's hyped about the Grizzlies. If they beat BC today, it will be the biggest win in school history.

Well you get onto me for being obnoxious about OU and the Big XII so try not to be so obnoxious about Duke. That's all.

Guest Princess Leena
I must have missed the part where iggy was obnoxious.

You must not read posts very often.