TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Boardloaf

It was a hamburger with pickles and onions if I remember correctly.

That makes sense. It tasted ketchup-y, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

25k and 1% of sales to the winner.

I have been making fried egg and ham sandwiches on toasted whole wheat for breakfast for about a week now and am totally addicted.

Is this a croque-monsieur? I bet VX knows. What's a croque-monsieur?

Guest Vitamin X

A croque-monsieur is basically a badass ham and cheese sandwich. After learning about it, I pretty much make it as my de facto ham and cheese, to be honest.

Basically it's kind of a mix between french toast and the ham and cheese. And Gruyere is essential to this. First, you butter the shit out of the bread (softened, room temperature butter of course- this is when I'm pretty happy to have a butter bell) and then you stack the ham and sliced gruyere inside. You then beat a couple eggs with some water (or milk/cream if you're feeling it), salt and pepper to taste, and then dip the sandwich in that mixture and then fry it on a skillet, preferably cast-iron but any heavy bottomed one would do.

Adding a fried egg on top is what would be called a croque madame. There are tons of ways to create variations on this, but that right up there is the basic way. One of my favorite ways is to make a bechamel sauce and top it off with that, or adding fresh herbs to the mixture you dip it in. Another I've been doing recently is making it a la trash blanc, as I call it- with cheddar cheese and bacon instead or with the ham.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Fried bologna is way more trash blanc. It's good, too, god damn it.

I have never been able to enjoy Triscuits.

I'm eating Cracked Pepper & Olive Triscuits with Colby Jack cheese. I've fallen too hard for sharp cheddar to even want Cojack anymore. It's just too fucking bland. But it's all we have in the house right now.

They just had another recall for hot dogs!

Edit: There used to be a post above mine talking about Maple Leaf. Apparently the mod who split the topic decided this was not relevant to the conversation.

Guest Vitamin X

Mix with olive oil (1 part vinegar to 3 parts EVOO- LIKE OMG), a bit of honey and a bit of dijon mustard for a really good salad dressing.

EDIT: Here's a Grilled Romaine recipe from Alton Brown. I've made this a couple times and it's quite spectacular. Kind of reminds me of a cheesier, lighter version of Agent's fried cabbage.

Guest Vitamin X

Besides the obvious- pan-frying them in a little bit of bacon grease (always a good idea to have this shit frozen) and then serving them alongside with some rice or veggies and whatever sauce you like on top. I like a homemade teriyaki which can be made with a cup of soy sauce, some minced shallots and garlic, and a a couple tablespoons of sugar, then reducing it all together until it can coat a spoon.

If you wanted to get real crazy with it, I'd do some chicken tikka masala if you have some yogurt lying around. You would probably need to buy some garam masala, though, but otherwise there's a ton of recipes out there for it. Here's one of my favorites.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Chicken Paprikash.

Get a yellow onion, a few chicken tits, a palmful of spicy paprika, olive oil, butter, garlic, a large glob of sour cream, 1 cup of broth, and some cornstarch.

Start with the onion and garlic in a hot pan with oil and butter and get them soft. Add the (seasoned and cut up) chicken and paprika. Get color on the chicken, and add most of the broth. Use the last few tablespoons to make a slurry with the cornstarch. Cover and simmer the chicken for about 20 minutes, then add the slurry and sour cream. Stir it up, and let it simmer another 25 or 30 until the broth is reduced and a nice color.

Serve that over spaetzel or with whatever noodles or dumplings you have or are willing to make.

Mix with olive oil (1 part vinegar to 3 parts EVOO- LIKE OMG), a bit of honey and a bit of dijon mustard for a really good salad dressing.

EDIT: Here's a Grilled Romaine recipe from Alton Brown. I've made this a couple times and it's quite spectacular. Kind of reminds me of a cheesier, lighter version of Agent's fried cabbage.

I have everything here but the dijon. Can I substitute it with anything?

Guest Vitamin X

You can try it with another kind of mustard, although it won't taste quite the same.

Okay, try mincing a clove of garlic and adding bit more black pepper if you're just really opposed to mustard in general. Or even just do without the other ingredients and do just honey, vinegar, and olive oil. Simple as can be, yet really delicious.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Curry, just go get a bottle of brown mustard and then ask us what to do with it when you have half of it left and nothing to do with it. I'll tell you how to make beef wellington or something.

I botched my first dish today. I don't know what to think. "Tender the egg," how simple! How could something so abecedarian be so crucial to the construction of a classic dish? And then the cheese! Oh how that cheese curdled in the pan. No matter how many times I whisked it... over and over and over again... there was no recourse. Those orange chunks of sharp cheddar, punctuating the surface of the boiling milk as if to tease my tumultuous heart, already on the cusp of mourning the impending death. It sled easily into the oven-- nay!--the tomb. The sickly dish spent its last remaining minutes succumbing to the cancer I administered! on its grated death bed, creeping toward rigor mortis in the fiery grave. It's browned facade greeted me with a deceiving warmth, obscuring the debauchery underneath. Like a crazed grave robber dissecting the departed, I eviscerated the corpse with my spoon, bringing it to my mouth.

Tasted like sand and rubber.

Guest Vitamin X

Sounds like you tried to make a mac and cheese casserole and failed. Happens to the best of us.

I made fried apples last week for a dinner side.

I have since gone through about 4 bags of them and have been eating them with every meal. God they are so much better than the sludge Cracker Barrel throws at you.

So, after making some mexican style coleslaw for the carnitas tacos I'm making in the slow cooker (probably another couple hours or so until that's ready) I had half a head of cabbage left and didn't feel like making more coleslaw. So I went ahead and did Agent's favorite food, fried cabbage. Pretty good stuff, I especially liked how the heart of it tasted, and the thick leaves, if they weren't quite burnt, tasted pretty incredible too. That's a really good snack if you're making some other stuff, and fast as fuck to make. Cheers to Gene for that one.

Although I've gotta say, I wonder what's up with all the other fried cabbage recipes online where they talk about throwing in bacon and onions and all that other jazz? Just seems like you're making hot sauerkraut at that point.

Did my bagel bitching ever migrate into it's own thread? If so, please move this:

I'm really enjoying bagels lately. I still won't touch anything with an adjective of 'grain', and I stand by my birdseed assessment where it applies. But plain, toasted with butter or cream cheese is a perfect mid-day snack, and while I don't get why Czech used it as an insult, cinammon raisin with grape jelly is a phenomenal treat.

Although I've gotta say, I wonder what's up with all the other fried cabbage recipes online where they talk about throwing in bacon and onions and all that other jazz? Just seems like you're making hot sauerkraut at that point.

Sauerkraut's pickled.

I've added all kinds of things to fried cabbage, but in the end, I'll always prefer just salt and pepper. Let the cabbage be cabbage. Rendering bacon fat to fry it in is acceptable, but heavy.

Well I know what sauerkraut is, but it seems like it would just take on that sort of taste, I guess. Cole slaw was never really my thing until the one I made yesterday, which proves I may like mayonaisse a lot less than I thought, since the one I made yesterday was vinegar-based.

Did my bagel bitching ever migrate into it's own thread? If so, please move this:

I'm really enjoying bagels lately. I still won't touch anything with an adjective of 'grain', and I stand by my birdseed assessment where it applies. But plain, toasted with butter or cream cheese is a perfect mid-day snack, and while I don't get why Czech used it as an insult, cinammon raisin with grape jelly is a phenomenal treat.

It's too sugary! I like my bagels savory. If you do it right you get a nice balance of nutty, creamy, and salty. If you want cinnamon and jelly, eat a donut.

I had Pop-Tarts for breakfast this morning, and I realized that Pop-Tarts are, in a way, useless. They don't compose a substantial and satisfying breakfast in and of themselves. I mean, they taste good, but you don't lean back and say "mm, that's a breakfast." Also, they're too big to just be a little snack, because they're packaged in pairs so you can't just eat one, and you have to toast them (with most flavors) so the preparation is a minor undertaking, as far as snacks go, and that's some high caloric intake for a snack. So what do you do with Pop-Tarts?