TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 59: Reality Check

Only a month away from what might be Tim Sylvia's most embarrasing MMA moment yet. Broken arms.....popped heel........shitty pants. It all comes down to this, big guy.

When: Saturday April 15th

Where: The Pond, Anaheim, CA.

UFC Heayweight Championship: Tim Sylvia vs Andrei Arlovski

Tito Ortiz vs Forrest Griffin

David Terrell vs Scott Smith

Evan Tanner vs Jeremy Horn

Drew Fickett vs Thiago Alves

Sean Sherk vs Nick Diaz (unconfirmed by UFC)

Karo Parysian vs Nick Thompson (unconfirmed by UFC)

Saying "I'm fucking hyped" for a UFC show recently is getting kinda tired but I'm not sure if it rings more true for this one. The fights look solid but I think the crowd heat is what's going to make this one special.

I guess the UFC knows heel heat when they hear it, because otherwise, they'd have dropped Diaz like a bad habit.

The most intruiging thing to me about Horn vs Tanner is what weight class they'd be fighting in. Other than that... I'm pretty indifferent to them.

Oh, and nice to see Karo back.

Tanner vs Horn has "Decison" written all over it, hopefully both are motivated by the fact that they're both on the end of a 3-fight deal and neither can afford to lose. Ok, Tanner can't afford to lose.

Man, I really hope Sylvia knocks out Arlovski.

The fight I'm looking foward to the most is Griffin Vs. Ortiz. I'm PUMPED already from just thinking of it.

Tanner is an exciting fighter, I'm glad to see him sticking around. I also really look forward to seeing David Terrell using Smith as a stepping stone and seeing Tito back. Drew Fickett vs. Thiago Alves should be a barn burner as well.

Add in the insane crowd heat of this event being in Cali and it's gonna be a fucking awesome show.

Guest Brian
I guess the UFC knows heel heat when they hear it, because otherwise, they'd have dropped Diaz like a bad habit.

Yeah, beside the fact that the guy always has good fight and is an excellent fighter.

All the welterweight fights look really good, Tanner/Horn should be worth something, the return of Terell, Sylvia eating punches and I_HOPE_TO_GOD that Tito gets KTFPwned~! Please. Please. Please.

I reeeeeeeally want to see Tito get knocked the fuck out in this one. I'll enjoy Tanner-Horn, and Andre should take care of Sylvia again.

I'll be cheering Nick Diaz, and taking my first real look at Karo as an MMA fan. I'm going to have to rent some UFC's before this takes place so I can get some background on what to expect. Should be a very, very solid card.

Yeah, beside the fact that the guy always has good fight and is an excellent fighter.

The thing is that most guys who have had consecutive losses like Diaz has probably wouldn't be invited back for a while. But because he's got the heel persona going, he's now a good undercard draw.

Considering how he's been pushed and marketed already, can you imagine how high Forrest's stock will rise if he takes Tito out? Not by a decision, but if he gets stretched or (one can hope) Tito gets knocked out by him??

Guest Brian

The thing is that most guys who have had consecutive losses like Diaz has probably wouldn't be invited back for a while. But because he's got the heel persona going, he's now a good undercard draw.

Many guys would, but those are all based on circumstance. Diaz is a guy who has good fights, and when he loses, makes his opponents look good in the process, and despite being outweighed, has some quality wins in the division and some close decision losses. It would be huge stretch to call him a draw of any kind, because that is a limited field, where the same could have been said of Frank Trigg, but he was a guy who was stuck in limbo because of how good he was as a fighter and who he couldn't defeat. There's a lot more possibilities for Diaz out there even in loss, and like I said, this guy brings it in the octagon. Even if he loses to Sherk, it'll more than likely be a decision and he'll probably look fine in the process, and because it's a styles match-up (unless Diaz decides he'd rather spend the fight on his feet) I could still see them holding onto Diaz. Something tells me that because the crowd is turning on Diego, another fight might actually have nick as the crowd favorite.

Burkman, Trigg, Diaz.........nobody likes Diego.

Updated card lovin':

Arlovski vs Sylvia

Ortiz vs Griffin

Tanner vs Horn

Terrell vs Smith

Drew Fickett vs Thiago Alves

Nick Diaz vs Sean Sherk

I'm really, really psyched for this card. The editions of Tanner-Horn and Sherk-Diaz give it a really good base, and the main events should be great, if only because Andre's going to wipe the fucking floor with Sylvia, and we could see Forrest shut Tito up - which by the way, would make my year.

Sherk vs Diaz and Tanner vs Horn are both "loser probably won't be back for a long time" fights. Which hopefully leads both of those fights away from the "obvious decision" category.

Everyone keeps going on about Nick Diaz' heel heat, but it is obvious from this thread that the real heel heat is on Tito. Everybody wants to see him get KTFO'd and yet he's still a major threat to our babyface people's champ Forrest Griffin. Tito Ortiz is obviously the number one heel in UFC. Although I'd like to see Pe de Pano come up as the next big heel by beating Arlovski with a belt shot while the ref is down.

Guest Brian

I think the difference is one is a dick and one is kind of comical and kind of justified.

People don't like Tito because he hasn't fought a decent fight in........well......a while. Maybe Shamrock @ 40. Maybe.

People don't like Diaz because.....well, I don't really get why people don't like Diaz. Sure, he could whine a bit less considering his lack of finishing skills lately but that's not enough to seriously rag on the guy.

When you said decent fight I don't know if you are referring to his ability rather than entertainment value. If you are talking about ability, I'd still like to give him credit for hanging in there with Randy for five rounds, he was simply outclassed. He did show lots of heart and determination against Vitor, against Chuck he was petrified. We'll see how he does against Forrest before placing bets on whether or not he'll face CHuck petrified again.

When you said decent fight I don't know if you are referring to his ability rather than entertainment value. If you are talking about ability, I'd still like to give him credit for hanging in there with Randy for five rounds, he was simply outclassed. He did show lots of heart and determination against Vitor, against Chuck he was petrified. We'll see how he does against Forrest before placing bets on whether or not he'll face CHuck petrified again.

Ability.

I found Randy/Tito and Chuck/Tito both to be quite enjoyable. Cote fight blew, Vitor was alright.

From MMAWeekly:

Sean Sherk is gearing up for his next fight. Sherk is scheduled to face Nick Diaz at UFC 59 and it most likely will be his last fight in the 170 pound division. It looks as though a three fight deal is on the table for Sherk to fight at 155.

Sherk @ 155 would be fucking scary.

It hasn't yet been confirmed by UFC.tv but the usual suspects are saying that Terry Martin vs Jason Lambert has been added to the card.

Sherk @ 155 would be fucking scary.

It hasn't yet been confirmed by UFC.tv but the usual suspects are saying that Terry Martin vs Jason Lambert has been added to the card.

I'd take that as a sign that perhaps UFC is reviving the LW division, but of course, this is the UFC we're talking about.

Nice to see Terry Martin is getting another second chance after getting posterized by Irvin's flying knee. Not that the match will be aired or anything, but still.