TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 59: Reality Check

I ran the show in the MMA sim (http://nhb.50webs.com/ for those of you unaware. Download it. About the best sim you'll find for free these days.) with a few subs due to a couple fighters not being in the sim.

Sherk killed Diaz DEAD in round three with G&P. Forrest and Tito warred for three rounds before Tito took Forrest down, pushed him against the cage, and just hammer blowed the shit out of him until Big John leaped in. The main event was actually damn competitive, with Sylvia using his reach to blast Arlovski in the face. In the fourth, they battled on the ground, sweeping each other, before Arlovski just started beating the piss out of Tim. Got mount, and rained out punches for the finish. Highlight of the main was Arlovski getting a Keylock, only to have Sylvia unleash HELL on him with vicious ass elbows to break it up.

The sim is awesome with that type of stuff...Some people will try their damnedest to escape a sub by freeing, or slipping free...Some will just beat the piss out of the person putting it on as their way of escaping.

If you haven't tried out the sim, you should give it a go. It's really good.

RRR is the Fedor nuthugger, and I doubt any simulator out there would let me put together a submission wrestling triple threat match between Baret, Rany & Leozhino.

You guys should really give it a try. You can modify submissions, and fighters stats, or make your own.

It's about as good as anything I'veever seen for free.

On topic: The hype for the show seems to have seriously died down in the last day or two. I don't think the top two fights are foregone conclusions, but that seems how most people are taking it.

Re: Unleashed

Watching Tanner/Terrell again makes me want to see both guys. Terrell shows really good takedowns, a NICE high kick (of course all of his kicks don't do a thing, but they looked strong, dammit), and that was one of the better chokes I've seen not win a fight. Tanner is just the fucking man in how he comes back and grabs Terrells head with one hand and pounds it with the other.

Forrests performance against Sinosic doesn't give me much hope to see him against any top striker - and he'd get killed by Chuck. Tito won't likely press him the same way so there's not much danger standing. Still, Forrest looked to have some killer instinct in that fight against Elvis, which is a definite positive. He smelled blood and he went in for the kill.

First time watching Hinkle/Monson since it aired. Monson is pretty darn strong, as shown when he powered up from Hinkles sidemountish position. I love the way he knees to the ground as not many guys take advantage of that rule. Granted, kneeing the ribs isn't the best idea. He uses a really good front headlock to control Hinkle against the fence. Nice spin out of the front choke and great reversal to turn Hinkle onto his back. And then there's the submission of 2006 thus far :) Monson looks a lil tired at the end of this. I can't blame him because grappling with heavies at a continuous pace can be tiring, but damn... against the elite heavies that ain't gonna cut it.

"It looks like Monson got him in a headlock and just crushed his neck"

I don't know how accurate this simulator is. Arlovski took nearly 3 minutes to finish off Bob Sapp, and about 4:30 to take care of Brad Imes. Granted, Sapp didn't throw any strikes (Hell, the only thing he did was get punched, gave up his back, get locked in a rear naked, somehow got free, and then TKO'd), and Imes landed on punch.

Because they are the ribs. Bones and whatnot. Meant to protect vital organs. Meanwhile, there are some other nice organs out in the open below the ribs that can be hit instead. Of course, there's the possibility of breaking a rib with a knee - it's not unheard of - or bruising them so it's not completely useless, I just would prefer kneeing between the ribs and the pelvis because those are the "softer" parts of the body.

a_138.human-body-floor-jigsaw-puzzle.jpg

And I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, I said it wasn't the best idea. Kneeing anywhere to the body builds up points and can damage your opponent.

Terrell didn't take Tanner down in that fight, at least not from what I remember.

He didn't, and showed why you don't force a guillotine that isn't there.

Arlovski at the weigh-ins was fucking great. Doesn't want to take his ice off and won't trust anybody else to handle it so he keeps it in his shorts pocket while getting weighed.

Did Forrest try and pull a "You can't see me" with Tito? Either way there was some heat goin' on there.

Like I said earlier in the thread, this has been the year of the upset so far so I'm semi-prepared to see Arlovski lose, 'specially if his knee is fucked. I'll fall back on that excuse until he gets his rematch. :)

Guest Brian

Does the bad knee explain the shift in money toward Sylvia? I still wouldn't bet on him, and I'd still give Arlovski a better chance.

Damn I went 1-3 on the undercard. Picking the underdogs was pretty stupid, though I don't remember who the underdog was in Lambert vs Martin. That one I just picked who I thought was the favorite. I hope there's an upset on the main card today, just not in the Monson vs Pe De Pano fight.

All the undercard bouts went pretty much as I expected, though I didn't think Thompson would tap to Karo's relatively average G&P. But hey, 4-0 with 2 perfectly called thus far. War me.

I really can't help but like Monson, I just like short stocky fighters (Cus I'm built the same way). I like to see them succeed :)