TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 59: Reality Check

Yvel was basically the only fighter who combined size, aggressiveness with some good striking skills that Schilt ever faced in MMA. The other guys were either much too small, couldn't strike for crap or let Semmy dictate the pace. Though not MMA, I think Semmy's 2H2H bout against Ignashov was indictive that Semmy still didn't couldn't handle a more torrid pace to a striking exhchange at that point.

Yvel was basically the only fighter who combined size, aggressiveness with some good striking skills that Schilt ever faced in MMA. The other guys were either much too small, couldn't strike for crap or let Semmy dictate the pace. Though not MMA, I think Semmy's 2H2H bout against Ignashov was indictive that Semmy still didn't couldn't handle a more torrid pace to a striking exhchange at that point.

Iggy is usually more methodical but he really pressed the action in that fight. I guess a better example of how Schilt does against aggressive fighters would be to watch his fight against Bonjaky in the Finals last year where he KO'd him with a knee. Semmy isn't the most exciting K-1 fighter to watch; he throws his jabs and front kicks until he can find an opening to fire in a right straight or one of his long knees. I don't expect as much success for him this year as last because K-1 is REALLY cracking down on clinching and inactivity in fights.

Bonnar's seems like a very knowledgable guy, I'd like to see him on commetary more in the future.

Wow. LOVED Tito vs. Forrest. LOVED it. I was amped for it, so that helped. Wanted to see Round 4. Griffin was amazing, his takedown defense was very solid, and his standup was great as always. I would have picked Forrest in a split decision after the final bell.

Bonnar's seems like a very knowledgable guy, I'd like to see him on commetary more in the future.

Wow. LOVED Tito vs. Forrest. LOVED it. I was amped for it, so that helped. Wanted to see Round 4. Griffin was amazing, his takedown defense was very solid, and his standup was great as always. I would have picked Forrest in a split decision after the final bell.

If you're judging the fight as an individual how can you award a split decision?

I'm saying that is what I would have predicted the result to be, not what I actually thought. I thought Forrest won a very close decision 29-28.

*BUMP* because I just watched this today and wanted to comment on Tito/Forrest.

Forrest didn't do anything to really win the fight in my eyes. I scored it 29-27 Ortiz. I had the first round 10-8 Ortiz because he completely dominated Griffin and nearly finished him off while Forrest only had that one little comeback towards the end. Round 2 was 10-9 Griffin, but Ortiz for some reason completely backed off from a strategy that worked in the first. I don't know if he was frustrated that he didn't put him away or intimidated or what. The third was 10-9 Ortiz. It was even until Ortiz got the takedown late, which sealed the win.

I had the Tito/Forrest fight as 29-28 Forrest. I think Forrest defended himself well enough in round 1 to get a score of 9. You need to pretty much get murdered to get an 8, which he ALMOST did. And I think he scored enough in rounds 2 and 3 to take the fight

Try watching the fight on mute. Seriously, try it. I thought Forrest won the fight too when I saw it the first time but take away the crowd and the combo of Bonnar/Rogan/Goldie very obviously being biased against Tito and you'll see that Tito takes it. Doesn't run away with it mind you, but takes it. The first round can be argued as a 10-8 and Forrest's punches in the second and third didn't hurt Tito as much as the commentary/crowd would lead you to believe. Still, a close fight but I think Tito at 100% pounds Forrest out before going to a decision.