TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

The OAO Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Thread

I never understood why people don't want to be spoiled for a video game. I've never played them for the story, but just to play it.

Wind Waker had a lot of terrific moments in it that would have been ruined had I known ahead of time.

There are certain games that I want to cut myself off from the modern conveniences of gaming for, i.e. cheat codes, plot spoilers, and walkthroughs.

There are of course the good kind of spoilers, like vague teaser hints, and advice to do or not to do something (that has a major effect on the game's outcoming).

Stuck on a 56k line. Can somebody run down what happens in each of the two videos?

EDIT: Are these the old trailers again? The begining of the second, before it stopped loading, looked familar.

Well, I assumed too much. The first one is the spoiler-laden trailer. The 2nd one is a reeeeeeeeeeally old, super-safe trailer.

There were 2 new ones released, though:

http://us.wii.com/viewer_zelda.jsp?vid=8

^

First one is just the opening--Link on his horse charging across a bridge, and near the edge of a cliff in a huge Hyrule countryside...eventually they leave the screen, and there's a wolf that howls at the sky...

We get the logo, and "Press A+B" to start the game.

Second is spoiler-laden trailer--another vid in case the first link goes down:

http://us.wii.com/viewer_zelda.jsp?vid=9

I watched only about 25 seconds of it, because I couldn't handle the awesome and didn't want to inadvertantly ruin any surprises for myself.

Scattered 25 seconds that is....hey, a canoe...bomb arrows...that is one ginormous....

Ok, that's all for me...

Andrew, did you even watch the videos? The first one doesn't have any title screen stuff. And the second one can't be new because it was added to YouTube on July 10.

70 HOURS!

Jesus.

I'll be getting this for the Cube. I'm sure the Wii version will be slightly more fun but I enjoy playing Zelda "the normal way" just fine and I just can't justify getting a Wii at this stage when there's only one game that I want and it's going to be on another system that I already have.

It boasts 70 hours, I'm impressed. We'll see if that is actually how long it'll take someone to beat the game.

I do like that it just takes a simply flick of the wrist to do combat, because I don't think slashing like a real sword would entice people who aren't all that used to slashing things (ie: myself) for a living.

Here is this from the Wii thread, in case any of you didn't see it.

WARNING: If you do not want to get even more excited over The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, do not read the following article. You have been warned:

Click Here

Twilight Princess may have started as a GameCube title, but it finished a Wii one. There remains this faction of gamers that refuses to accept the possibility. You know who you are. You continue to argue that because the controls were originally designed for the GameCube pad there is no hope for the Wii build. You say that your arms will get tired using the Wii remote. You speak of mirrored worlds and right-handed Link. And you know what? It's all crap. If you buy Twilight Princess for GameCube and not Wii, you are a fool. And I state that without meaning to suggest that the GCN iteration is flawed - it isn't. It's an amazing swan song for Nintendo's older system. But neither is it as good as the Wii incarnation. In fact, were it up to me and not Nintendo (and in my dreams, it is), I'd have scrapped the GCN build altogether, forcing everyone to exclusively buy the Wii version. Honestly, Nintendo gave you five good years with GameCube; it doesn't owe you a damned thing.

Nintendo promised GC TP, so yes, they owed it to their fans. As it is, I'm annoyed that they delayed the GC one, when they said both would be available same day.

70 hours I truly doubt, but Jeremy Parish said they'd only really completed the first dungeon. However, as long as the hours are filled with awesome and not tedium (see: empty leveling up RPG hours), I'm cool with it.

70 hours just for the main quest? Or including side quests? Because most big time RPGs routinely take at least that for the main + side quests. Hell, FFXII took me 82 hours to finish, and only a bit of that was doing side quest stuff. Of course, I can see people finishing it much quicker if they just rush through the zones without bothering to fight anything. But still.

I'm probably guessing 70 total hours for the whole game + sidequests.

If it was 70 total hours just to beat the game without sidequests, this game better be freaking awesome is all I gotta say. Because that's a long time.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Speaking with GamePro, Nintendo of America's Senior Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications George Harrison revealed that the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will offer downloadable content after release.

According to Harrison, gamers can look forward to "downloadable content, such as additional levels" for Twilight Princess sometime following the game's November 19th launch, though nothing has been set in stone at this time as "everyone is still busy trying to make sure the game gets out correctly."

Harrison also reiterated that Nintendo's latest Zelda game is expected to offer 70+ hours of gameplay and will retail for $50, as well as that the GameCube version will be sold online and at retail outlets for the same price, despite previous rumors that the game could only be purchased online.

http://www.thewiire.com/news/548/1/Twiligh...oadable_Content

OBJECTION!

It's Gamepro. Consider the source, here. Let's go to the horse's mouth.

Note: this is a rush transcript based on hand-written notes.

GP: How long is Twilight Princess?

Harrison: There are 70+ hours of gameplay -- it's significantly longer than Windwaker.

GP: What sorts of online features are you looking forward to in the future?

Harrison: Downloadable content, such as additional levels.

GP: Any plans for any type of post-release online component for Twilight Princess?

Harrison: I haven't heard of anything yet. I think everyone is still busy trying to make sure the game gets out correctly.

There's nothing definitive or concrete there. Sounds more like "definite maybe."

I honestly don't understand how that would even work. There's no Wii HD. Full blown "levels" (dungeons?) would be done in exactly what way?

Harrison seems to be expressing an opinion, not offering statements of fact. Also, after Kaplan screwed up on many statements, I honestly don't buy much into what a Nintendo rep outside of Japan says. Even Reggie's statements must be taken with a grain of salt.

I'll be getting it on the gamecube. I'm not going to get a Wii for a while yet. I'll just go to my friends house and play his. Besides, I've got FFIII coming out in about a week that i'll have to buy too.

GameSpy Review - Zelda: TP

They gave it a perfect 5 out of 5 score, and the only con that they mention is something that we've known all along, as if they had to put something down as a con. Here are the main highlights of the review, without any spoilers at all:

Pros - Play the game and be glad you did.

Cons - It's essentially a port of a GameCube game.

"While it might not have the graphical grunt behind it offered by the likes of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, there's no doubt in my mind that Nintendo has once again crafted a video game that will be remembered for years to come. Link's back and his adventure on the new shiny Wii hardware is nothing short of an instant classic."

"After running a critical path through the entire game, there's no doubt that this is the longest Zelda game ever made. I can easily see the playtime rising to the 60-hour mark if you try to accomplish everything that the game has to offer -- and trust me, you'll want to."

"Given the epic size of the game, it's important to note that there's very little redundancy. You'll not find yourself being forced to do a lot of unnecessary running or riding (remember sailing around in Wind Waker?) thanks to the excellent warping system."

"I'm happy to report that the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk do an incredibly admirable job of making the game a lot of fun to play. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that this is a preferable method of controlling the game than a regular joypad. Movement, exploration and combat are highly accurate and if you fail or die, it's not the system's fault, but rather your own. I know this has been the biggest concern for many Zelda lovers and gamers in general, but I can't overstate this enough -- the Wii makes for a superb Zelda gaming experience."

"Fans of the series will feel right at home with the combat system (Z-targeting is an absolute must) and the traditional mythology of dungeon crawling, money and item gathering, and item usage. It wouldn't be a true Zelda game without some of the classic themed dungeons, so all those players out there who got stuck in Ocarina's notorious Water Temple should start quaking in their boots!"

"There's essentially an entire full-length game dedicated to catching crazy numbers of different and unique fish. This sometimes comes across as more of a Remote-enabling gimmick than anything else, but completists will love taking some time out for a spot of virtual haddock-reeling."

"In the end, there's no way that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess disappoints. It's an excellent addition (and homage to Ocarina) to the franchise, and you'll have an enormous amount of fun playing it from start to finish. Get over the fact that the Wii's hardware is simply not as powerful as the other next-gen machines and get into the fact that Twilight Princess is one of the best games you'll play this year. If you've been on the fence in any capacity, then please rest assured that you'll not be disappointed."

"It's ultimately fantastic."

"After running a critical path through the entire game, there's no doubt that this is the longest Zelda game ever made. I can easily see the playtime rising to the 60-hour mark if you try to accomplish everything that the game has to offer -- and trust me, you'll want to."

That doesn't really seem like a huge game if that's true. Not saying it's a flaw or anything, but 60 hours for 100% isn't anything out of the ordinary, and is probably on the low-side of most RPGs. Of course, 60 hours is really good for an action/adventure game :)

But most RPGs are stuffed with packing-peanut random battles, so their purported length often tends to be pretty lame and hardly is in their favor.

And on the flipside, a lot of Ocarina was empty space with few/no enemies, while this one is supposed to be way harder.

Typical big-budget RPGs tend to run around 100 hours for full completion these days. I don't care how many random battles there are (and if the battle/character systems are good, they aren't even a bad thing), a spread of 40 hours is pretty significant. Not that I really care, as I don't think length matters much once a game passes the 25-30 hour mark.

Yeah, once a game is like 30 hours long it's pointless to start going on about if it's actually 40, 50 or 80 or whatever. It's just long...that's all that you need to know. The press just ramble on about this because it's standard hype for when there's not much else to really say.

Chrono Trigger was like 25 hours, and is better than 90% of RPGs out there. It didn't need to be any more.

Well, on SNES. Add a crapload more time if you playing the broken PS1 version.

The length hyperbole is like in pro wrestling how they exagerate the height of the steel cage.

Okami was a solid 40ish hours.

I have little trouble believing TP will be significantly longer.

But I hate the X number of hours argument as well. It means nothing if those hours aren't fun at all to play.