TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbacon

MLB 06: The Show

Any good?

I haven't played a baseball game (or any video game really) for years. But I'm looking forward to this years season and thought about getting back into playing a season this summer. It seems to be getting good reviews, and at $40 CAN, it looks like it could be worth it.

Dude, I was about to make a thread about this.

This game rules, seriously. It's probably the best baseball game to come out since the days of High Heat. The gameplay is top notch, deep franchise mode, fun career mode. The game also has captured the atmosphere of baseball better than any game I've played.

I was stuck in a rut when 2K Sports got the MLB license because I had been all about the EA Sports MVP games for the past few years. The 2K Baseball games are always terrible, but so are 989 sports games. But with the hype that had been building for MLB 06 I figured I'd give it a shot, and it definitely hasnt disappointed.

This game rules, seriously. It's probably the best baseball game to come out since the days of High Heat. The gameplay is top notch, deep franchise mode, fun career mode. The game also has captured the atmosphere of baseball better than any game I've played.

I was stuck in a rut when 2K Sports got the MLB license because I had been all about the EA Sports MVP games for the past few years. The 2K Baseball games are always terrible, but so are 989 sports games. But with the hype that had been building for MLB 06 I figured I'd give it a shot, and it definitely hasnt disappointed.

Am I the only one who really likes the 2K baseball engine?

I second this opinion. MLB 06: The Show is the best realistic baseball since High Heat went away. The ball physics are realistic, as are the player models and attributes. You'll have a couple of players off a little (Like underrating how hard Eric Gagne throws), but all in all it's a fantastic baseball experience and I absolutely love it so far. Every game mode, imo, is very good.

If you want to get arcadey you have the King of the diamond which is a ton of fun. You have the fantastic franchise mode, where you can handle EVERYTHING in an orginization, including finances and ballpark maintenance. Then you have the career mode which you create a player and work your way up to the bigs. Very fun. The thing I like about it is that you can skip the game and just go to all of your at bats only.

I would definitely recommend this game for any hardcore, baseball fan looking for a realistic fun experience.

Why are you still reading this?.........go cop that shit right now, it's worth it

The thing I like about it is that you can skip the game and just go to all of your at bats only.

Ok, that's fucking great.

The career mode interests me, tell me more if you could. Like, how far down do you start? Is it like you have to make the team during Spring Training or you don't make it at all?

Cause if you tell me I'd have to play a minor league schedule to work my way into the bigs, I am so buying this game.

Bought the game, haven't played yet. Disappointed that the free hat offer has every team except the Jays, despite the fact that the Jays cap is featured on the sticker. <_<

The career mode interests me, tell me more if you could. Like, how far down do you start? Is it like you have to make the team during Spring Training or you don't make it at all?

Cause if you tell me I'd have to play a minor league schedule to work my way into the bigs, I am so buying this game.

You start with an invite to Spring Training with the club of your choice. From there, it's all up to you. You have a list of goals to achive during spring training. I've only done the role of a SP, but I didn't get a contract offer from the Cardinals, so I sat in FA all year and when next year rolled around, 4 teams offered me a contract to their AA club. From there, you get better and get moved up to AAA and then the majors... now, you can request different things like; more playing time, wanting to be called up, etc.

Well, get ready to buy the game then.

Career mode, as said before starts with your player invited to spring training. After that when the season starts your contract may be picked up by the minor league team of the team you picked. I was a third baseman and started in AA until i was tearing it up and called up to AAA after about 2 months. I'm currently in AAA right now but am struggling a bit. Eventually, the big team will call you up or you can request it.

Some of the things you can do in career mode by pressing a button:

1)Request more playing time

2) Ask to be moved up in the lineup

3) Complain about the manager

4) Go behind your teams back and tell the media what goes on behind the scenes

5) Ask to be traded

6) Ask to be called up

7) Call a players only team meeting

8) Meet with your manager and tell him you're not seeing eye to eye with him.

among some others i can't recall right now. It's pretty realistic because i went and teold the media what goes on behind the scenes, and all of a sudden i was playing once or twice every 4 days or so. I got benched.

I complained once to see what would happen, and the team released me.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions

Last years career mode was also pretty damn fun. The only thing I didn't like was whenever I would call for the players only meeting. From what I understand, you're supposed to use this to boost up the morale of the team.

I was on the Dodgers and tried to use the team meeting, since we were like 4 games back in the Division with only 15 games to go. The team was like at the halfway point of morale, while the manager was maxed out. When I called for the meeting, the whole team bitched at me, and morale dropped drastically. It never seemed to work like it should have.

I enjoy this game. However, I have a few problems.

In career mode, I have a pitcher. 42 years old, 306 wins, 2.40 ERA, and over 4000 strikeouts, yet I am not Hall of Fame eligable yet.

I'm thinking it's one of those goals yearly goals type of things that is holding my pitcher back.

However, a good tip in order to get into a starting rotation when you're young is to pick the team you go to Spring Training for when you're a free agent. Pick a team with a good offense, a good defense, and absolutely no pitching. A good year is very likely.

And furthermore, the commentary for this game is smart, and very good. They make comments according to age. Tell you how poised a certain player is for how old they are. It's pretty cool.

I'm sure I know the answer already, but can you play more than one human player on the same team? With the All-Star Baseball series I was able to convince non gamers to give it a try, and it was enjoyable. I don't care to play against someone when I'd rather team up with them like all other sport games.

I enjoy this game. However, I have a few problems.

In career mode, I have a pitcher. 42 years old, 306 wins, 2.40 ERA, and over 4000 strikeouts, yet I am not Hall of Fame eligable yet.

I'm thinking it's one of those goals yearly goals type of things that is holding my pitcher back.

However, a good tip in order to get into a starting rotation when you're young is to pick the team you go to Spring Training for when you're a free agent. Pick a team with a good offense, a good defense, and absolutely no pitching. A good year is very likely.

You're not gonna be Hall of Fame eligible if you're still ACTIVE and not even retired yet. That's like saying Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens should have been elected to the Hall of Fame already.

Well if it was up to me I'd have retired the day I entered the majors. As it was, they promoted me without telling me, so I simmed through some of my first few starts on the MLB level. I opted for a "fuller" career after that.

Guest StylesMark

I just rented this game, and I'm just getting used to it from MVP 2005.

At this point, I'm liking the batting of MVP 05 better, as I seem to be able to control the ball more. However, I do prefer the pitching of this game.

I've yet to go into many different modes, but the HR Derby certainly has EA's "first to hit a mile" crap beat.

I'm indifferent to this game at this point.

Is there a site with create a player stats for players not in the game? I don't have my ps2 online and I accidentally put Jose Molina on the Jays since Benji isn't in the game.

Also, Is there anyway to add created players to season mode? If not, i'm going to have to settle with uping Jose Molina's stats and pretend he's Bengie

I hadn't planned on purchasing a baseball game this year, since I still haven't finished a season on the amazing MVP 2005, and I traded in MLB 2K5 long ago. However, my roommate got this game soon after it was released, and we've been really enjoying multiplayer. I LOVE the rivalry feature, as it is great to be able to keep track of all the stats and such in our games.

I never started a season since Jake (my roommate) was always playing the game and I had other titles to work on. But I decided to try 1 player out last night, before it got too far into the season. I was worried that the game would suffer from MLB 2K5 syndrome (great multiplayer, terrible single player) but, despite the annoying glitches, it's a good game. My main gripe is that, like in MVP 2005, I can't do a season that is shorter than 162 games.

I really got into baseball games last year when a friend of mine had MVP 2005 AND ESPN 2K5 for his XBox. That's all we did the whole summer, and it really helped get me into baseball as a whole, when in the past, I had been barely-remotely interested. The same guy bought an XBox 360 just for 2K6, and I finally played it when I was visiting him at college a few weeks ago.

[OPINION]That game is utter ass and the whole team needs to have fastballs lobbed at them like Barry Bonds in Turner Field on Hank Aaron Day. The whole swing stick thing, I mean, if I had the time, I could have learned it, but why would I? Since then, I've played two games of The Show and it smokes 2K6 in every category.[/OPINION]