TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Thoth

South Park Season 10 starts tomorrow

Up until Cartman's rant on the highway, I thought it was a rather mild indictment of FG. Not to say it wasn't all true though, although I still find the show somewhat amusing

One thing I think though is that pre-hiatus FG episodes weren't near as bad with the "interchangable jokes adding nothing to the story" as post-hiatus episodes have been

I also thought it was funny that the parody voice of Peter sounded kinda like Fred Flinstone, though I doubt that was intentional

Funnily enough, I'm arguing with F.G. defenders on another board who are saying that South Park hasn't been good since around Season 7. I can kind of see their point--when S.P. gets on its soap box, sometimes there are gigantic gaps in an episode without belly laughs. However, this episode wouldn't be one of them, and besides, I'd take these current episodes over the old school S.P., something I definitely would not say for F.G.

And honestly, Matt and Trey (potshots aside) were really using the show to represent South Park and their problems with censorship, and how its worth fighting for.

That was actually what the show was about, although unfortunately a lot of people just seem to want to choose sides and slam Family Guy. That shit was all just backdrop, though. After seeing that episode, I can't see how anyone could think the episode was about FG at ALL, when the plot & focus of the entire episode was Matt & Trey basically bitching out Comedy Central for being pussies, with a broader message that Americans aren't fighting for free speech like we should (and the Muslim cartoon issue, which unfortunately too many of our own newspapers and networks chose to censor themselves, was perfect for that).

I didn't feel the episode was LOL, but with SP these days the social commentary is usually so spot on that I don't much care if there isn't a lot of gags thrown at me each episode.

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. This was without a shadow of a doubt, one of the worst episodes of this show ever produced. I would put it side-by-side with the Pip episode from Season 4 as the worst thing to come from this series. Trey and Matt are REALLY stretching for funny material now, and its starting to show pretty badly. I've been trying to figure out why all of a sudden, all the parents of South Park are being written to be complete idiots. Stan's dad is a geologist, and Kyle's dad is a lawyer, but since season 9, they (along with every other parent in South Park) have been written to lack any ounce of intelligence. There have been a handful of episodes here and there, but the last truly classic episode was "Fun with Weapons". The Super Adventure Club episode from a few weeks back had its moments, but it's not an episode I would want to watch over and over. These past few seasons have been pretty rough to sit through.

So, what's the story here? Seth and Groening make peace (according to Seth on commentary, anyway) so Matt and Trey need to start a war? The shows aren't even competing, just let people do their thing and stick to yours.

I know that I've heard at least half of Cartman's tirade against Family Guy in various interviews with Parker and Stone, so it was fun to hear it come out of Cartman's mouth. Not a particularly hilarious episode, but a good one that was smartly written. Looking forward to seeing how this ends.

I'm a huge Family Guy fan and I loved this epidode. :lol:

I think something along the lines of the following would be funny:

-Next week the show starts off with an exaggerated "Previously on South Park" bit. Then, as soon as that is finished, they instantly have an announcement about how Comedy Central has pulled the prepared part two episode, so in it's place they will air a very special presentation, straight from the Super Best Friends, it's the Prophet Mohammad Show!

It could be some sort of variety show, a talk show with Mohammad as the host, or maybe an episode just about him like the episodes they did for Terrance & Phillip, Pip and Butters.

Now that I watched the episode, I was confused if their target was free speech, the stupid outrage over the Mohammed cartoon, Family Guy, or the whole Tome Cruise episode debacle. They just nicely combined it all. I love Family Guy, but damn if that parody was not spot on.

Seemed like the only person on the show who didn't like Family Guy was Cartman. I mean seriously, call it a slam but I like Family Guy and even I ADMIT that is exactly what the show has become. It's a good message episode, with smart people continuing to remain stupid just like it really is NOW about what freedoms to give up for safety.

So basically. Cartman represented Stone and Parker, in his hating people assuming he likes family guy and saying they have the same sense of humor when they are two different types of shows. Family Guy represented South Park in its being censored. The Fox Executives represented what Parker and Stone wanted Comedy central executives to be. They make Comedy Central alot of money and they want them to give them some freedom.

Kewl. I liked the show, although I think they weren't trying to produce belly laughs the other night.

Anyone else love the way Randy Marsh bellowed "Family Guy" when they announced they would still show the image of Mohammed?

It's been said before but...Randy Marsh is a god.

Throw me in the same boat...Butters and Randy Marsh. Gods.

Butters needs to be on a bit more this season.

I think butters is all played out.

After having an entire ep, a throwing star... killing an entire dance troupe, uhhh ...

Goddamnit I love that kid :(

Randy yelling FAMILY GUY!!! and Cartman's "It wrong....ITS WRONG....(walks away for a little bit) Its WRRRRRRRRRONG!" Were the things that got the biggest laugh from me.

What about Mrs Garrison's awesome racist comments about the muslims?

Mrs Garrison > Randy Marsh

The Losing Edge alone makes Randy Marsh the best character.

"You think you're better than me?" *Takes off shirt* "Watchagonnado? Watchagonnado?"

Cowabunga MuthaF***er!!!

That was the best opening ever.

I fucking love Matt and Trey.

Parodying their own two-parters.

Bringing up real criticism of South Park.

Turning Bart Simpson into a swearing son of bitch.

Hell, even pointing out why some people like Family Guy.

Great shit.

Guest El Satanico

I'm disappointed that they didn't continue doing the terrence and phillip special