TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lei Tong

TUF 3: The Thread

Guest Brian

What a fucking sloppy fight.

Matt's coming back next week. I'm under the assumption it's a tease.

As for his condition, it's probably like a Grade 1 or 2, very mild, but probably sharpened by the dehydration. No liquid in the brain means a lot more rattlin'.

Guest JustPassinBy

Man I'm pissed I forgot this was even on because of the Suns-Mavs game. I hope to catch it on at another time.

My question to all of you:

Do you think the fighters actually listen to Ortiz/Shamrock's instructions once they get in there, or do you think that all goes out the window? I'm asking, because it would seem all the other fighters have an advantage over Matt bc Matt cant hear whats being yelled.

Guest Coffey
Is is byfar the dumbest thing I've read in awhile.

You do know TUF 4 was began filming a couple weeks ago?

Jesus Christ, it was an over generalization. If that's the "dumbest thing you've read in awhile" then you've lived a sheltered life. This season, thus far, has been nothing but sloppy fights with fighters that can't end fights. People don't want to watch that.

Hamill/Nickels was so not the worst fight I've ever seen. One of the less skilled fights, yes, and it certainly had an amateur quality about it, but that was non-stop slop, which was tremendous.

Worst fight this season though.

This season, thus far, has been nothing but sloppy fights with fighters that can't end fights. People don't want to watch that.

Hmm, yes, 8 fights, only 2 go the distance. Knockouts, tapouts, and ref stoppages apparently have different meanings in your world.

This season, thus far, has been nothing but sloppy fights with fighters that can't end fights. People don't want to watch that.

The last two seasons were sloppy fights with people who can't end fights as well. Along with whatever homoerotic challenge they came up with. Yet the ratings are still there.

Wanna take another swing at it?

EDIT: I mean, if four Rashad fights didn't kill the series off, this season won't either.

Is is byfar the dumbest thing I've read in awhile.

You do know TUF 4 was began filming a couple weeks ago?

Jesus Christ, it was an over generalization. If that's the "dumbest thing you've read in awhile" then you've lived a sheltered life. This season, thus far, has been nothing but sloppy fights with fighters that can't end fights. People don't want to watch that.

My life is fine, and when I'm outside I don't read. So yes this is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile considering that this was only the 2nd fight that has been to desicion.

I think you got TUF 3 mixed up with TUF 2.

I just got owned on a sig bet over at Sherdog but I don't even care because of how terrible that fight was. I can't even stop thinking about it. That is definitely the worst MMA fight I have ever seen.

Worse than Salaverry vs. Marquardt from UFN 1?

That wasn't even really a fight. Hamill vs Nickels was definitely the most unskilled fight I have ever seen and it pissed me off just to watch it. I can't think of a more embarassing fightin MMA history because they were both actually trying to "fight."

Here's the thing, and this is why I think TUF3 is the best pro wrestling show on television today...

It's not about highly skilled fighters having a technical battle. It's about two personalities fighting each other. While the fights are a big part of the show and the end result, they are not, however, what drive the show. The personalities do. So calling the show bad because the fights aren't of high quality is missing the point - this show, perhaps better than the past two, and certainly better than every pro wrestling show out there today and in the past 6 or 7 years, has done a tremendous job showing these fighters' personalities and developing storylines and relationships and conflicts and have managed to resolve them as well, and have built towards these entertaining, albiet amateurish and lopsided fights, in a way that I have not seen or been effected by in a long, long time.

I've definitely seen less skilled fights on a lower level or in MMA's earlier days, though it's easily one of the sloppiest fights I've seen on a semi-bigtime level.

Also, ironically, Rashad's fights weren't THAT bad outside of the Murphy fight. VS Whitehead was worth it to watch Rashad's lightning quick switch and Matt Hughes ripping Whitehead a new one, VS Jardine was a competitive slugfest, and VS Imes was entertaining if very sloppy.

Here's the thing, and this is why I think TUF3 is the best pro wrestling show on television today...

It's not about highly skilled fighters having a technical battle. It's about two personalities fighting each other. While the fights are a big part of the show and the end result, they are not, however, what drive the show. The personalities do. So calling the show bad because the fights aren't of high quality is missing the point - this show, perhaps better than the past two, and certainly better than every pro wrestling show out there today and in the past 6 or 7 years, has done a tremendous job showing these fighters' personalities and developing storylines and relationships and conflicts and have managed to resolve them as well, and have built towards these entertaining, albiet amateurish and lopsided fights, in a way that I have not seen or been effected by in a long, long time.

It should also be noted that Melvin Guillard from TUF2 cuts a better promo than most of the wrestlers in the 'E'

Man I'm pissed I forgot this was even on because of the Suns-Mavs game. I hope to catch it on at another time.

My question to all of you:

Do you think the fighters actually listen to Ortiz/Shamrock's instructions once they get in there, or do you think that all goes out the window? I'm asking, because it would seem all the other fighters have an advantage over Matt bc Matt cant hear whats being yelled.

I think Tito's guys have listened for the most part, and unsurprisingly they've won every fight they should have and one or two they probably shouldn't have. Meanwhile, Shamrock's squad never seem to listen to the rare advice Ken dispenses. He only told Mike to throw a high kick and/or a knee about 200 times last night and I think we got 1 knee and a halfhearted attempt at a high kick.

Yeah, it'll be a shame when Fisher, Edwards, Stout, Stevenson or Sherk absolutely obliterate him.

I'm still not sold on Stout's ground game (and Stevenson is bad on his back) so considering that Guillard is a skilled, VERY athletic wrestler, he would give both huge problems.

Everyone else beats him, though.

I think Tito's guys have listened for the most part, and unsurprisingly they've won every fight they should have and one or two they probably shouldn't have. Meanwhile, Shamrock's squad never seem to listen to the rare advice Ken dispenses. He only told Mike to throw a high kick and/or a knee about 200 times last night and I think we got 1 knee and a halfhearted attempt at a high kick.

It's pretty much like in a team sport when players tune out their coach. At that point it doesn't matter what he says, they won't listen to him.

"Throw a flying knee" is one of the more ridiculous suggestions made by a coach, unless Nickels was practicing them for a while in training, which is unlikely. The coach should, you know, give instructions a guy can carry out. "Flying armbar~! DO IT!"

In regards to Promos and Personalities, I think Brandon Vera is comparable to The Rock in regards to charisma.

Guest Brian

After yelling for that high kick most of the time and regular knees, I figured Shamrock was just hoping Nickels would throw something.

I swear towards the end of the fight Ken was saying "Please just try that knee once"

and it's funnier sitll because the ONE knee Mike threw, connected pretty cleanly. It was a sound strategy, but apparently Mike's ears/brain are not connected properly to his knees or something :P

Mike was so afraid of getting hit that I think he was just fearful of clinching with Matt, even though a couple of knees would have probably put the kid to sleep. That guy should never be close to the octagon again unless he pays for premium seats.

In regards to Promos and Personalities, I think Brandon Vera is comparable to The Rock in regards to charisma.

Not gonna disagree with you there, but of course he's not a TUF alumnus. He probably would've torn through the heavyweights if he was.

Not gonna disagree with you there, but of course he's not a TUF alumnus. He probably would've torn through the heavyweights if he was.

UFC actually pushed very hard for Brandon to be part of the TUF 2 HW cast, but he didn't like a number of things in the contract for contestants and winners, and knew he would be in the UFC on his own merits anyways.

I'm pretty excited about tonights episode.

So are we actually going to see a fight or are they just going to set them up?

And how good is Kalib really? The only fight I've seen of him is where he beat the crap out of some guy that had no business in there with him. So is he really that good?

I'm guessing that they use the first half of tonights episodes to set up the semifinals, and the 2nd half for the 1st MW final. Then, next week will be the 2nd MW bout, and the week after the 2 LHW semifinals.

Or, if both divisions have their bouts go quickly, they could spend all of tonight doing hype for the bouts, and the next 2 weeks having 2 fights each.

That one dude kept throwing me off. Kendall? The tall dude. His reach is crazy and he's so much taller than all of the other middle weights. You expect him to be able to run through them just looking at the size difference.

What about Herman? Think he'll lose to Kalib?

You seem to know about Kalib or have seen him fight before Lei. What is he good at and how good is he?

I've only seen clips, but his BJJ looks legit, and he's won almost every fight with ease, including over Jason MacDonald, who though rather middle of the road, usually at least goes deep against opponents (Kalib stopped him in the first).

Kendall has a lot of height and reach, but I'm not sure he knows how to use it too well. He's something of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none type (though better overall than Rory), though he's lost to some pretty average competition.

Ed has impressed me in the past (especially by busting up Misaki in loss), but most of his big wins aren't as good as they seem on the surface (Thompson is a better welterweight, Menne is past his prime and kind of small for 185). He's also extremely overconfident (especially in his submission skills), and looked rusty against Danny.

The way I see it, whoever faces Kalib in the semifinals loses, and whoever faces Rory wins. So, I think they'll set up Kalib/Rory and leave a pick 'em between Kendall & Ed. Before the season I would've picked Herman rather quickly, but I think he's ripe for an upset.

I'm not positive but I'm almost certain that on the preview for this week's show at the end of last week's they mentioned that the semi-finals would start for the middleweights tonight.