TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Edge Interview

Edge says WWE made a big mistake...

Adam Copeland a.k.a Edge appeared on The LAW: Live Audio Wrestling this past Sunday. Here are some highlights of the interview (to hear the entire unedited 20-minute interview go to http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com in the "Xtra" section):

*Edge says his pec has held up very well since coming back in January and avoiding surgery. He found a great doctor in Toronto to help him rehab the pec tear and separated shoulder. He was back within 2-months of what was a 6-month injury and feels great despite doing some crazy stuff since coming back. He said he's not fully back to where he would like to be in the ring but he's getting there.

*On the TLC match on January 16th, he didn't feel a TLC match should be done on free TV but looked at it as a challenge being that it was his first title defense and Ric Flair had never been in one and wanted to have a great match with Flair in a TLC match. He was leery about doing the match after just coming back from injury. He felt the effects but was really happy about doing it.

*He felt point blank that the WWE made a big mistake taking the title off of him when ratings and attendance went up when he had the title. He said that wasn't a knock against John Cena, but that the fans wanted to see Cena chase Edge. He thought he was the not the sole reason, but a major reason for ratings going up. He said there were a lot of people that doubted putting the title on him and had a mentality of proving them wrong. He said he didn't feel vindicated when ratings went down but he did acknowledge that he did make an impact and feels they will have confidence putting the title back on him down the road.

*He noted that the boys backstage were taking notice over house show attendance going up and that you could attribute that to "WrestleMania" season but with attendance up over January's of past years it has to be attributed to something else and it picked up right after "New Year's Revolution". Edge feels he is one of the few genuine heels and people will pay to see his ass get kicked and enjoys having Lita to play off of.

*He noted how it would have been great to have held the title at the same time as Christian but the fact that both held the titles is a feat in itself.

*On the crowd reactions to John Cena: He feels fans are very fickle and when anything becomes too cool, they rebel against it pointing to The Rock at "SummerSlam" with Brock Lesnar in 2002. He notes that Toronto tends to dictate what the rest of the world is going to do. He feels he and Lita were able to get people back behind Cena and allow ratings and attendance to go up because they wanted to see Cena chase the title. He also feels Cena is back to having that problem because with the exception of himself and JBL, there is not another universal heel in the WWE. He said in his matches with Cena only about 5-10% would boo Cena and Edge just worked on turning those people.

*Edge says he's been somewhat happy with the build for the match with Mick Foley for "WrestleMania 22". He feels more could have been done so far but it had to start slowly to get kick started at "Saturday Night's Main Event" because there was no issue to start with and now it's starting to build. He's always wanted to wrestle Mick and that he wrote the forward to his book. He's not looking forward to the physical stuff they have planned for ‘Mania because his body is at the point where he has to think twice. His sole purpose is to steal the show and have people talking about their match.

To hear the complete 20-minute interview with Edge, go to the "Xtra" section of http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com where Edge discusses a ton more including Bret Hart being used in an angle at ‘Mania, Saturday Night's Main Event and much more. To listen to The LAW, tune in every Sunday night at 11pm EST at http://www.liveaudiowrestling.com

Credit: 411Mania

I don't see Edge getting in trouble for this. Don't WWE themselves acknowledge that Cena's currently tanking as a champ?

I think it is more about Edge saying himself and JBL are the only true heels. He seemed to leave someone out wHHHo may get mad....

It's not like Edge was due to get another run at the top. I'd say Vince buried him the minute he made him a "transitional champ" in reality. Edge was the hottest heel in the company for what seems like forever and got a 3 week run out of it before being demoted to a midcard feud with a fat out of shape whore at 'Mania. How much lower can he really go?

It's not like Edge was due to get another run at the top. I'd say Vince buried him the minute he made him a "transitional champ" in reality. Edge was the hottest heel in the company for what seems like forever and got a 3 week run out of it before being demoted to a midcard feud with a fat out of shape whore at 'Mania. How much lower can he really go?

You can be Chris Jericho. That's low.

Not being on 'Mania at all, or TV for that matter?

He'd still be getting paid. They won't be stupid enough to let him walk, so the worst they can do is keep him in the midcard. That's not really a punishment since that's where he was sent through no fault of his own.

It's not like they weren't making him the new Jericho (someone HHH was paranoid about and rudely demoted for no reason) before he had this interview, so I don't see the issue.

I think everyone acknowledges that taking the title off Edge so quickly was idiotic. I don't think Edge is the kind of guy who is going to get demoted for speaking his mind. I mean, he didn't get fired after screwing Lita...so it seems like he can get away with pretty much anything.

I think it's safe to say that after this feud with Foley wraps up, he should be back in the title hunt.

Guest InuYasha
Why would he get fired for screwing someone's girlfriend?

Complete lack of professionalism?

I think he meant to add "in the wild, wacky world of professional wrestling" to the end of his question. Expecting professionalism out of WWE and most other promotions is a quick way to wait for nothing.

Why would he get fired for screwing someone's girlfriend?

Complete lack of professionalism?

What you do outside your work life, as long as it's not criminal has no bearing on your ability to perform your job nor your sense of professionalism. In no job, can you be fired for sleeping with a co-worker's wife or girlfriend. Can you be fired for causing internal differences in the company? Yes, as long as they can claim it affected that person's ability to do their job.

Edge, only improved upon his ability to go his job by sleeping with Lita.

Guest InuYasha

To continue the discussion, and possibly stir up some shit....

If this were an interview RVD had done, people on this board whould be jumping up and down and talking about how he's right, and how he's being held back, and not being given a fair shake.

When Edge does it; "Too bad, so sad. Move along now, there's nothing here to see....."

To continue the discussion, and possibly stir up some shit....

If this were an interview RVD had done, people on this board whould be jumping up and down and talking about how he's right, and how he's being held back, and not being given a fair shake.

When Edge does it; "Too bad, so sad. Move along now, there's nothing here to see....."

I think some of that is because the fight has been worn out of people when it comes to people being held back. Even if RVD did the same interview people would be just as likely to nod, acknowledge that he, along with other people, are being held back, and move on.

Guest fanofcoils

I am still wondering why the fans booed Edge the Raw after he beat Cena for the title.

Guest fanofcoils

Why do they hate Edge, that is what I am wondering, I can understand why the fans boo Lita and call her names but why Edge? I was thinking Edge beating Cena would make him a face, apparently not. Anyone have thoughts on all this?

Why do they hate Edge, that is what I am wondering, I can understand why the fans boo Lita and call her names but why Edge? I was thinking Edge beating Cena would make him a face, apparently not. Anyone have thoughts on all this?

He was booed because he's a GREAT heel. The WWE doesn't have any others.

Why do they hate Edge, that is what I am wondering, I can understand why the fans boo Lita and call her names but why Edge?

How about because they all know he screwed his best friend's girlfriend while the friend was at home injured?

He's an asshole heel who talks down to the audience. He does it effectively. He, actually knows how to play a heel. He's proven to be an opportunistic prick. He stole his best friend's girlfriend from him while he was stuck at him injured (which, in kayfabe was because he tried to protect Lita) and he won the WWE title by taking advantage of Cena, who beat 5 other guys in long ass match. They hated him because the prick did everything he said he would and laughed in their face while doing it.

He's an asshole face who talks down to the audience. He does it effectively. He, actually knows how to play a heel.

The Hardy thing gave him something that he didn't have before. The fans now have an identifiable reason to hate Edge. They can relate to being screwed over by a friend and which makes Edge even easier to hate because most, if not all of them, have been been stabbed in the back by a friend.

Edge was right when he said he and JBL are the two universal heels on the roster. HHH shouldn't be mad since he himself has a definite share of fans who cheer him. In fact, HHH doesn't really downplay it all that much anymore.

That said, I don't see any viable way to get Edge back in the title scene on Raw with HHH around. He's going to have to be traded to SD in the draft, where he can quickly be the top heel on that roster with little difficulty (as long as they get over this Orton fetish).

The other way would be the scenario where HHH takes some time off when Steph has the baby. HHH could drop the title at ONS to Van Dam or something, then RVD and Edge can feud for the title.

Personally I would have kept the title on Edge and done Edge/RVD at WM. Unlike what we have now it'd have a highly popular face going against a very hated heel.

Edge was right when he said he and JBL are the two universal heels on the roster. HHH shouldn't be mad since he himself has a definite share of fans who cheer him. In fact, HHH doesn't really downplay it all that much anymore.

That said, I don't see any viable way to get Edge back in the title scene on Raw with HHH around. He's going to have to be traded to SD in the draft, where he can quickly be the top heel on that roster with little difficulty (as long as they get over this Orton fetish).

The other way would be the scenario where HHH takes some time off when Steph has the baby. HHH could drop the title at ONS to Van Dam or something, then RVD and Edge can feud for the title.

Personally I would have kept the title on Edge and done Edge/RVD at WM. Unlike what we have now it'd have a highly popular face going against a very hated heel.

No. Cena/Edge, with Cena chasing was actually working. No sense in putting RVD in the main event.

Too bad that Trips blew his Flair program already because they should have saved that for Mania instead.

No. Cena/Edge, with Cena chasing was actually working. No sense in putting RVD in the main event.

Too bad that Trips blew his Flair program already because they should have saved that for Mania instead.

It was working because it was new. After staring at Cena holding the belt for nine months, the fans were interested to see if the company was finally moving in a new direction. Cena's fans came out of the woodwork to see if he could win the belt, and the people who hate Cena and Edge got hopeful that a new face would come on the scene to win the belt from Edge. However, there's no way that they could have stretched it out to Mania. After 2 1/2 months, the fans would get sick of Cena chasing Edge and would give the match Brock/Goldberg heat if it was the WM main event.

Well, if Edge had won at NYR and then Cena didn't get one rematch or close to the rematch at all til Mania, they could have easily drawn it out. Most traditional Mania main events are built AT LEAST January to Mania, if not longer.

I think thats going a bit far. The NWA Title is nowhere near what it was back in the day in terms of prestige, but come on, its at least on the level of the WWE US Title or something.