TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Marvel's Civil War

The Defenders version of Nighthawk is dead, according to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Book of the Dead. He died in Defenders #106.

Hmm.. I only have the first 80 or so issues of the Defenders.. Wasn't he in the newer series Erik Larsen pencilled in early 2000ish?

Reading Wikipedia's article on Nighthawk confused me. Fuck it, I'm pretending he's not dead. Works for me.

Edit: Wait.. Didn't I read somewhere that Nighthawk appeared in the Thunderbolts comic for a bit not too long ago?

Reading Wikipedia's article on Nighthawk confused me. Fuck it, I'm pretending he's not dead. Works for me.

Edit: Wait.. Didn't I read somewhere that Nighthawk appeared in the Thunderbolts comic for a bit not too long ago?

Regarding the Defenders version of Nighthawk; he died a major death in the pages of Defenders but in the late 1999s (1999 IIRC) Marvel resurrected him in a shitty mini-series that basically put out the notion tha the Defenders story's climax never happened and Nighthawk was whisked away in a comatose state all of this time.

He wakes up and has deux de machina powers regarding seeing demons have have quickly been ignored.

As for T-Bolts, he showed up a couple of issues where the Thunderbolts are forced to work with him after half the team quit on Songbird and they ran the angle where Songbird basically lets him join the team just so they can access his money/countless houses for a place to live in. Of course when this came out when Zemo rejoined the team, he quit.

I liked the regular Marvel Universe version of Nighthawk, in terms of him being the rich, obnoxious fratboy super-hero who keeps getting crippled/beaten up/used by people who wouldn't be caught dead near him unless they needed something from him.

The Defenders version of Nighthawk is dead, according to the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Book of the Dead. He died in Defenders #106.

I realized this source is, like, 20 years old. Nevermind.

Absolutely loved this. Millar has been my favorite writer for some time, and I'm glad he's been given the "keys to the kingdom", so to speak, and is trusted to handle Marvels big crossover. Yeah, Cap surfing the jet fighter was a bit unrealistic, but it got a geeky grin out of me.

Damn, NO ONE writes a better Cap than Millar. Give me a McNiven/Millar Cap series.

Finally got around to reading this. Decent read, but not to eventfull I thought. I guess the problem I have is that the Marvel brass seem to give away everything that's going to happen in advance these days. Sure it's my fault for reading stuff online, but it kinda sucks that they (meaning Bendis and Quesada) are always like "OMG we are soooooo awesome! People are going to FLIP OUT when they se this this and this." There wasn't a single thing in that issue that surprised me. We all knew who was going to take which side, that Spiderman's going to get conflicted, what the big disaster was. The only part that wasn't layed out in advance was Cap escaping from the carrier. Which was awesome.

Oh, and the art was amazing.

I saw this on Yahoo yesterday...I may have to check this out...I really gotta see Aunt May and JJJ's reactions.

I thought I read somewehere Aunt May already knows.

Jameson, on the other hand...

I saw this on Yahoo yesterday...I may have to check this out...I really gotta see Aunt May and JJJ's reactions.

I did a little research...yeah apparently Aunt May does know...I wish I could have seen that issue.

Apparently when JJJ finds out, he faints on sight...gotta be hard to take when you find out the guy you hate the most has been working for you forever.

I did a little research...yeah apparently Aunt May does know...I wish I could have seen that issue.

Apparently when JJJ finds out, he faints on sight...gotta be hard to take when you find out the guy you hate the most has been working for you forever.

Aunt May's been on the loop ever since the end of the first Morlun saga over in Amazing Spider-Man. As for Jameson, he was tricked by Peter into believing that his son was actually Spider-Man. That one happened around issue #12 of MK Spider-Man. Curious to find his reaction now. In fact, I'm curious about the whole Civil War deal now.

In fact, I'm curious about the whole Civil War deal now.

poch...I went through the huge undertaking of collecting all issues related to the Infinity Gauntlet, the Infinity War, Operation: Galactic Storm, Onslaught and The Age Of Apocalypse...I don't know if I have it in me for one more massive hunt. Hopefully a TPB will come out sometime soon.

I think you know what I mean by "all issues"

In fact, I'm curious about the whole Civil War deal now.

poch...I went through the huge undertaking of collecting all issues related to the Infinity Gauntlet, the Infinity War, Operation: Galactic Storm, Onslaught and The Age Of Apocalypse...I don't know if I have it in me for one more massive hunt. Hopefully a TPB will come out sometime soon.

I think you know what I mean by "all issues"

Maaan, that's a shitload of issues.

Infinity Gauntlet I have on TPB, as well as the return of Thanos mini (I forget the original name.) Infinity War I only had a few issues, same as Galactic Storm, although I've been recently tempted into getting the first TPB. AOA and Onslaught I have it ALL, as well as most Heroes Reborn except the Captain America run.

So, yeah. I'll try and read Civil War whenever I get an issue in my hands, but most likely I'll wait for the trade when it comes out. I'm really more of a TPB guy nowadays.

She walked in on him wearing his Spider costume. The next issue she berated him for not telling her sooner, since she didn't know why Peter thought she couldn't handle it. I think this happened back in 2001.

Destroying the really touching ASM 400, which is like the only good Spider-Man comic for a span of years it seemed.

Yes, that was a great issue. I still have it stashed somewhere, it had that special cardboard-thingie cover IIRC. But, even if I admit it was a terrific story, I believed at the time that it was a mistake for them to off Aunt May, powerful story and all. One of the good things that came out of resurrecting Norman Orborne was that it brought back Aunt May to Peter's life. Dare I say, she's even more integral to his life than MJ herself.

Question: Is the bottom half of the first issue red with the UPC code smack dab in the middle? If so, I need go pick that up soon before the near by store runs out.

I think Marvel's gone too far by having Spider-Man reveal his secret identity. I can accept it with someone like Captain America, who doesn't have a life outside of super-heroing, but Spider-Man? The character just committed suicide as far as I'm concerned.

I think it really shakes things up, and opens the door for some very interesting developments. It's a bold move on Marvel's part, and I'm very interested on reading where it's all headed.

While I love a lot of what DC is doing now, this is a far ballsier move than killing off a lot of characters we haven't seen in 10+ years.

The art in #1 was really great too. This looks to be far more compelling than house of M. (Really, the far-reaching ramiications of House of M seem to amount to Quicksilver's de-powered.)

I think it really shakes things up, and opens the door for some very interesting developments. It's a bold move on Marvel's part, and I'm very interested on reading where it's all headed.

I can see that side of it, but I'm skeptical about the long-term ramifications.

Having not read comics in years, it all seems like another publicity stunt after all Peter has gone through to keep his identity a secret before, so why did it all change now. It's just not logical to me that he would suddenly decide to potentially mix business with personal and put himself and everyone else in danger at all times. I wouldn't be surprised if it all ends with him attempting to cover up once again. But if they actually stick to their promises of this truly shaking everything up, not just in the case of Peter, then kudos.

This will definately go down as one of the biggest moments in comic book history. As to whether I like it... well I haven't really decided yet. It was a really powerful moment (if it hadn't been spoiled in advance it would have been even better. What is with Marvel always giving away their MAJOR plot points in advance?) so it definately worked really well in it's execution. I don't really know if this will be a good or bad thing in the long run. Parker's not in high school/college anymore and he's married to a supermodel so the whole dichotomy of "teenage loser who is actually super cool in his double life" that made Spider-Man so great in the first place was tossed out ages ago. And this new decelopment will definately give them a lot of good story ideas fot the near future, but when those runs out could this hurt the character perminantly? That's the question that I can't decide on. The hugeness of the situation and the immediate ramifications just overshadow the potential long term effects at this moment.

But hey, in 1/2/5/10 years they might just have some cosmic being/reality altering mutant/Doctor Strange/continuitiy reboot reverse all this and he'll be back to the status quo.

Anyways, there's still Ultimate Spider-Man, who still has all of the things that made him classic in the first place.

Having not read comics in years, it all seems like another publicity stunt after all Peter has gone through to keep his identity a secret before, so why did it all change now. It's just not logical to me that he would suddenly decide to potentially mix business with personal and put himself and everyone else in danger at all times. I wouldn't be surprised if it all ends with him attempting to cover up once again. But if they actually stick to their promises of this truly shaking everything up, not just in the case of Peter, then kudos.

His decision is a direct result of the Civil War storyline which involves super-heroes being forced to become government agents.

Peter Parker also now lives at Avengers HQ with Aunt May and Mary Jane, so they're protected.

Or are they...?

The question there was rhetorical, but I know that much.

They probably will explain further, but I don't find any of this a suitable enough answer as to the WHY of Peter's 180. Even with the apparent protection, it doesn't make any logical sense, opening up a can of worms and a host of dangerous situations not just for Peter, May and Mary Jane, but for anyone and everyone involved with him through the years.

I know, comic books, suspend disbelief, etc., but logically it's stupid and short-sighted on Peter's end and in a few month's time it'll likely only end up as a device for the writers to make Peter's life a miserable hell as they're prone to do every couple years, before sometime in 2007/2008 when the editorial staff decides to retcon it all during the newest boundary-breaking mega crossover.