TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Marvel's Civil War

Well, a lot of his biggest enemies already knew his identity. I don't think Hydro-Man or Shocker are going to be invading the mansion anytime soon. And Peter is greatly

I'll wait to see how it pans out before I condemn it.

I do think his new costume is freaking retarded though. It looks crappy, and it's ridiculous. It flies! It cloaks! It has four arms that come out of nowhere! It's bullet-proof! And it's skin-tight!

Why not give that to EVERYONE in the Avengers? Why not be camoflaged AT ALL TIMES? Where the hell do the arms go when not in use?

I think they should have kept the Ben Reilly/Spider-Girl outfit. It was still instantly recognizable, but really cool looking.

I'm sorry to sound stupid about this but I really don't know if I bought the right comic or not. The other day I bought "The Amazing Spider-man" #532 where on the top half of the cover it shows Spider-man and Ironman in Stamford after the accident and the bottom half is red, with "Civil War" in white. Basically its the issue where Peter is deciding if he should go public that he is Spiderman.

Now what I'm confused about. Is the issue I bought actually the "civil war" storyline or just a spin off based on Spider-man during the Civil War time line?

I think the best way I can explain what I'm confused on.

I'm sorry to sound stupid about this but I really don't know if I bought the right comic or not. The other day I bought "The Amazing Spider-man" #532 where on the top half of the cover it shows Spider-man and Ironman in Stamford after the accident and the bottom half is red, with "Civil War" in white. Basically its the issue where Peter is deciding if he should go public that he is Spiderman.

Now what I'm confused about. Is the issue I bought actually the "civil war" storyline or just a spin off based on Spider-man during the Civil War time line?

I think the best way I can explain what I'm confused on.

Yeah, that issue you bought was a Civil War tie-in. If you were looking for the issue where he unmaskes you want Civil War #2.

Oh ok, thank you for clearing that up for me. So I need Civil War 1 and 2. Civil war 3 isn't out yet, is it?

Oh the reason I'm asking all this is because I really don't know. I've been out of the comic loop since......early 90's? I think the last comic's i bought were the series where Magento started ripping Wolverine's metal bones through his body and because of thise, Wolverine's claws are now bones. I think this series ended up making Onslaught. Also the nearest comic store for me is at least 20 minutes away, across the bridge, and a lot of gas money I don't have......so Thank God for this forum!!!! :0)

Okay, having not been following Spider-Man for years, can somebody tell me what the fuck is with his new costume?

I'm not too sure on entire details, but I do know that the weird looking Yellow/Red suit Spider-man is wearing now was a gift from Iron Man and he's been wearing it for a few months now (except for when he goes public to unmask, earlier in Civil War #2 he was wearing it).

I actually just picked up that comic today.....the whole spiderman thing has got me intrested, anyways. So basically the story of the new suit is that Tony Stark had extra parts and was bored. So he decided to make a new suit for Peter. There ya go, thats the story of the new suit.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

Since Spider-Man has two different costumes, will they be able to backtrack and say one wasn't the real Spider-Man? They can't possibly have his identity permanently exposed.

I really glad Marvel finally decided to do a story where Spider-Man gets a new & improved costume with all kinds of special abilities.

Wouldn't it be a shame though if something happened that made the costume dangerous, and then he had to quit wearing it, only to have it come back years later as the costume for one of his foes?

Is anyone else reading the Civil War tie-in's? I've only picked up the frontline, Spiderman, and part of the Wolverine series, and those three tie-in's are pretty good.

Frontline right now covers 3 differant stories, the first story is about two reporters who work for the Bugle and are going to follow the Civil War.

The 2nd story is about Speedball after he is found.

Right now he's in prison, because he doesn't want to sign up for Sheild, even though he doesn't have his powers.

The what happens to Speedball is pretty intresting.

The 3rd story of frontline is basically about the first sign of the Civil War.

The new Spiderman comic details what happens after Peter revels himself as Spiderman. Details/spoilers in yellow.

The press is all over him now trying to get a Q & A. Later he finds out, while watching tv, that he is now in a group that is going to catch everyone who won't register. I don't know whose all in the group because its been such a long time since I've read any comics but I know the Fantasic Four and She-hulk are apart of the group.

In the Wolverine tie-in, he's hunting down Nitro and he's found him in the latest comic.

Apprently now Wolverine can be burnt down to a skelton and his healing power will bring him back to life. Anyways we find out, well at least I found out, that Nitro is working for some big higher up from Washington D.C.

Apprently now Wolverine can be burnt down to a skelton and his healing power will bring him back to life. Anyways we find out, well at least I found out, that Nitro is working for some big higher up from Washington D.C.

Really? The Wolverine thing's pretty lame. I don't know what Marvel's obsession with making all their mutants ultra powerful these days. The Nitro thing's kinda interesting.

Really? The Wolverine thing's pretty lame. I don't know what Marvel's obsession with making all their mutants ultra powerful these days. The Nitro thing's kinda interesting.

Yeah I don't get that either, and it really wasn't out of the blue either. This is basically how it panels out.

Basically Wolverine and some SHEILD agents go to get Nitro at this cabin he's hiding in. Nitro gets outside and is able to do his power and basically kills everyone who is around, even Wolverine. By the last page, it shows that Wolverine had actually came back to life due to his healing powers and attacks Nitro. He was literally a skeleton after Nitro's power went off. And you know that it wasn't over just because it happen so early in the comic book. If it was ment to speculate, then it would have been a Cliffhanger.

It is a fun story though. I still need to get the issue before this one.

I started reading comics again this month. I'm really digging The Civil War. It's totally not being any type of cliched crossover story.

Captain America in New Avengers #20 is just awesome. The art's a bit shaky, but the writing's pretty good. It should be said that Cap usually bores me to tears, and I loved reading him here.

Non-Spoiler awesomeness:

A) When he tells a certain hero "You once asked me what the difference was between wartime fighting and what superheros do. You're about to find out."

B) Something he does at the end of the story to said hero.

That Wolverine issue with Nitro is the drizzling shits. From the ridiculous concepts stated above in the spoilers to the horrible art. Awful.

X-Factor is AMAZING. Great writing, pretty decent art. It's got lots of little, intelligent things that make you smile, and really seems to be an IMPORTANT book, especially involving House of M mysteries and The Civil War.

Plus, if you've read #8, you know the shits about to hit the fan big-time.

Newest Amazing Spider-Man. Ron Garney's art is terrible and does not suit Spidey at all. Good read, lots of "What kind of fallout...?" things for Spidey in the future, I guess. He's not 17 anymore, get over it.

Ultimate Spider-Man #95-96. I like this book somewhat. Not these issues, though. For the most part, Ultimate X-Men has been easily the better of the two books, getting BETTER with time after a slow start. Spidey's been the reverse. From a great origin and beginning where great characterization and such were developed to sloppy art, stupid concepts (The Morbius Arc was HORRIBLE), to ideas with promise that I found to be WAY over-hyped (Venom storyline), Ult. Spidey needs a big kick in the BUTT ASAP.

As mentioned, picked up Ult. Spider-Man's #32-39 at a shop for $2 each. Hyped but a little dissapointed by the Venom arc.

X-Men came out this week. Epilogue to the "Blood of Apocalypse" arc. Nothing major here, especially with all the creative team shakeups coming next month. At least they're fixing the WORST LINEUP EVER in Uncanny (Bishop, Rachel Summers, Psylocke, Crawler, Cannonball) somewhat for the Shi'Ar story. God, they take everyone I HATE and lumped them all together in one book. Seriously. Even Cannonball has just been an awful character ever since Meltdown left him and he fought Gladiator in, I think, 341.

Anyway those were my thoughts. Nothing big from DC I wanted.

The F.F. tie-in was pretty good too. [spoilers] Basically, it shows the growind wedge between Reed and Sue, as well as Ben's neutral stance towards the Registration Act. There was a seed planted in this issue, where Ben will most likely join the anti-registration side due to the involvement of the Yancy Street Gang. And of couse, the epilogue that shows the return of Thor.

The F.F. tie-in was pretty good too. [spoilers] Basically, it shows the growind wedge between Reed and Sue, as well as Ben's neutral stance towards the Registration Act. There was a seed planted in this issue, where Ben will most likely join the anti-registration side due to the involvement of the Yancy Street Gang. And of couse, the epilogue that shows the return of Thor [/spoilers].

I also got back into comics recently, been catching up on the last few years of Marvel thanks to the wonder of torrents, and Civil War is easily the most interesting crossover I've read. I've always found Marvel is at its best when it keeps things simple. I hate when the X-Men deal with the astral plane, or the Shi'ar. I hate when Dr Strange guest stars and a storyline devolves into magic shit. It's why Civil War works, it's about the nature of the characters first and foremost.

As for some specific stuff about some recent releases...

I'm also loving the seeds of conflict in the Fantastic Four.

If it keeps getting worse, perhaps one of the casualties of the Civil War could be Reed and Sue's marriage?

As for the X-Books, the Apocolypse arc in X-Men was ok, I thought it was over too quick, and I thought Gambit's explanation for becoming a Horsemen was piss-weak. Uncanny and X-Men are just so... bleh. I hated the Psyclock/Jamie story, I hate the teams and the only good thing about those books has been Mystique and Juggernaut, and he went off to Excalibur. Astonishing and New X-Men, on the other hand, have rocked my socks. They've been on a completely different level to the main X-Books. New X-Men had a few too many deaths, but the series definitely needed a shake-up.

As to why I just bitched about X-Men in a Civil War thread, I have no idea. Back to the War, I'm also really enjoying Civil War:Frontline. The change of perspective is awesome, it's one of those books that makes the universe seem so much more realistic. They're reporters, but they don't have superpowers! It's cutting-edge shit!

One criticism of Civil War I've found is that they make everything too blatant. Long-winded dialogue about the complexities of civil liberties, weird mini-stories comparing Iron Man to Julius Caesar. We get it. Freedom vs security. We understood the explanation to House of M, we can figure out anything.

One criticism of Civil War I've found is that they make everything too blatant. Long-winded dialogue about the complexities of civil liberties, weird mini-stories comparing Iron Man to Julius Caesar. We get it. Freedom vs security. We understood the explanation to House of M, we can figure out anything.

I didn't like that either. Its really to much dialouge to keep me intrested. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind reading long dialouge at all, but I like long dialouge when it keeps me intrested in whats going on. The side bar stuff at the end of the Frontline comics just bore me.

Does anyone have any real sympathy for Speedball's incredible inability to take any responsibility for what happened in Civil War #1?

Not at all. Especially because of the completely blatant Gitmo parallel they went for. Totally takes the reader out of the story, which means you stop giving a shit about Speedball.

Not that anybody ever really gave a shit about Speedball, but you get my drift.

Not at all. Especially because of the completely blatant Gitmo parallel they went for. Totally takes the reader out of the story, which means you stop giving a shit about Speedball.

Not that anybody ever really gave a shit about Speedball, but you get my drift.

If you follow the Frontline comics, the story of Speedball keeps going.

I read the Frontilne comics before I got to read Civil War 1 and at first, I felt bad for Speedball because EVERYONE that came in contact with him is kicking his ass, then I read Civil War 1 and now...I really don't feel bad for him.

Yeah I don't get that either, and it really wasn't out of the blue either. This is basically how it panels out.

Basically Wolverine and some SHEILD agents go to get Nitro at this cabin he's hiding in. Nitro gets outside and is able to do his power and basically kills everyone who is around, even Wolverine. By the last page, it shows that Wolverine had actually came back to life due to his healing powers and attacks Nitro. He was literally a skeleton after Nitro's power went off. And you know that it wasn't over just because it happen so early in the comic book. If it was ment to speculate, then it would have been a Cliffhanger.

It is a fun story though. I still need to get the issue before this one.

I concur that the skelton thing is lame. It makes absolutely no sense in any psuedo-scientific way I can think of.

I don't really think it's lame at all...it makes sense. I mean, how exactly does the healing power at all really make any "natural" sense.

Has he not always been heal like that? Because I was catching up on the Ultimates, and the one where Gambit confronts the X-men, he blows off half of Wolverines face, down to the skull. And of course, it grew back, so it wouldn't appear anything new to me.

And if it were to be explained in a 'scientific' matter...I thought it's always been made clear that Wolverine's organs/etc. actually grow back, rather then just simply repairing themselves. So how does it not make sense to grow back, even if it's a skeleton?

Well, if you ever read the original Claremont Wolverine, he implied he could be killed by a long fall, nothing more.

I mean, he did the same shit in the terrible "Venom" comic (resurrecting from a skeleton)

But if he was fried that bad, his fucking brain would bake.

At least in Blade of the Immortal they have consistency with Manji's healing.

And the art in Wolverine is fucking awful. It's like a dog dragging his ass on the lawn.

Despite my griping, overall, Civil War is pretty compelling. A good take on an old idea.

Civil War #3 is coming out this week.

Also Frontline #3 came out last week along with the Thunderbolts first tie-in. Frontline was ok, basically Speedball still hasn't signed the act yet and Bantam (not excatly sure who that is) got thrown against a gas truck and got blown up. For the Thunderbolts issue more Villians were taken and were given a choice to join the team or not and now Zemo just made a offer to Captain America and the rest to trust him.

And if it were to be explained in a 'scientific' matter...I thought it's always been made clear that Wolverine's organs/etc. actually grow back, rather then just simply repairing themselves. So how does it not make sense to grow back, even if it's a skeleton?

Even if his brain cells could grow back from nothing, they'd not have the same information stored in them that were stored before they were destroyed, so he'd be an amnesiac. The way Wolverine's powers have always been explained in the past, they're based on rapid cellular regeneration. Some brain cells would have to still exist in order for the regeneration to take place.

Civil War represents one of the reasons I don't read comic books anymore.

They're going to do this and the whole universe will be divided and eveyrthing will be shaken up and changed but a year from now or 2 years from now there will be a new editor is chief that'll be like "This sucks. I want everything the way it used to be with secret identities and all super heroes being nicey nice with each other. So......I'll find a way to undo it."

Civil War represents one of the reasons I don't read comic books anymore.

They're going to do this and the whole universe will be divided and eveyrthing will be shaken up and changed but a year from now or 2 years from now there will be a new editor is chief that'll be like "This sucks. I want everything the way it used to be with secret identities and all super heroes being nicey nice with each other. So......I'll find a way to undo it."

Well, isn't that how everything is pretty much? During seasons of tv shows...something big will happen, someone leaving, or something getting destroyed or something, and by the next season, well it's back to normal. (The O.C.'s a big offender of this). And movies, where something bad happens, by the end of the movie, it finds a way to have a happy ending anyways, etc.

Its' just the way most entertainment is. As I'm sure it's a lot harder to keep a 'storyline' going forever, especially with something like comics, which are ongoing.

LOL I love how normal sience and logic is applied to imaginary mutant powers *thumbs up*

The suspension of disbelief has limits.