TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Marvel's Civil War

By the way, Silvestri's art on The Initiative is wildly inconsistent. Brilliant in some parts, Lifeldish in others. Silvestri may have helped "invent" the 90's "dynamic pose" style, but like ol' Rob, he hasn't bothered trying to improve since then.

Okay, there's something about this whole thing that I don't understand.

How is it that Captain America, who was created by the US Government, and who worked for the Avengers, a team which, if I'm not mistaken, acted with the authority of the US government, was the main anti-registration guy? That seems backwards, to me. But maybe I'm just dumb.

Cap felt he worked for the American people, not the government. This was highlighted in the classic Mark Gruenwald-penned stryline from the late 80s where Cap turns in his uniform rather than become the government's super-soldier again.

What's US Agent doing these days? I don't follow comics anymore, but he was always one of my favorite characters, for some reason.

Omega Flight.

One thing I don't get is how Marvel gets off charging $5 for The Initiative special (which was a glorified ad for a few of the upcoming series) while DC only charged a buck for Countdown and Brave New World (which were both longer too).

Didn't he put himself in the way of a sniper shot that was aimed at the SWAT guy? If so then he stayed totally in character saving the life of another person and risking his own. Unless the shot was actually aimed at HIM, of course, I haven't read the issue yet.

After he was shot by the sniper (the Red Skull's lackey Crossbones, who was definitely aiming for Cap), a brainwashed Sharon Carter shot him several times in the chest at point-blank range.

One thing I don't get is how Marvel gets off charging $5 for The Initiative special (which was a glorified ad for a few of the upcoming series) while DC only charged a buck for Countdown and Brave New World (which were both longer too).

Two differant companys.

I'll be getting the Civil War trade in the mail at the end of the month, so I look forward to finally reading this much-talked about series. It sounds like something I'll either love or hate. I know the outcome and everything, but I want to actually read it before making a judgement.

To nobody's surprise, Captain America #25 was the top selling book for the month of March, moving 290,514 units. That number should rise since the issue is still selling and I'm not sure if they're counting newer pressings already. The numbers are the best since Civil War #3 sold 335,655 copies. Civil War #1 has sold 361,516 so far, and #2 has moved 340,879.

Edit: Updated the sales figures.

Two differant companys.

Also, Marvel isn't putting out a $3 weekly "event" comic. Then again, they also couldn't put out a monthly "event" comic out on time...

Also worth mentioning that a Captain America #25 Director's Cut will be available in a couple of months, and if the CW-related re-order sales trends continue then I see no reason why Cap#25 shouldn't move almost 400,000 copies. Impressive.

Didn't he put himself in the way of a sniper shot that was aimed at the SWAT guy? If so then he stayed totally in character saving the life of another person and risking his own. Unless the shot was actually aimed at HIM, of course, I haven't read the issue yet.

After he was shot by the sniper (the Red Skull's lackey Crossbones, who was definitely aiming for Cap), a brainwashed Sharon Carter shot him several times in the chest at point-blank range.

Damn. Captain America is the fucking man, definitely one of my favorite super-heroes ever.

I read the Civil War TPB yesterday. It was good, but it wasn't as great as some were saying. Maybe it's just because I read it in trade, but the flow just seemed off, like it was only hitting the "high points" of the event without taking time to breath. It did help that I also read the Spider-Man and FF tie-in trades shortly after though. I'm still going to read the Cap tie-in trade, and maybe the New Avengers one.

Overall, I'm not sure I really like this whole "pro government conformity" route that Marvel seems to be going with. Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic really do come off as bad guys here, literally imprisoning their friends and teammates and getting treated like heroes for it. I'll still read books like X-Factor, Runaways, and Daredevil, but the whole Initiative line isn't catching my interest because of this.

Anybody else feel the same way?

I've read almost the entire Civil War storyline, from start to finish, thanks to the mirical of Azureus. All in all I enjoyed it, though at times I really didn't get why the groups were fighting each other (Cap seemed a wee bit out of character at times to me, but I've never been a big Cap fan untill recently). My biggest problem with this whole storyline is that- while it opened up many new storyline possabilities- it just completely killed all of the momentum the different books had. New Avangers, Young Avengers, Runaways (though that seems to be continuing on fine), Spider-Man and, of course, Captain America. Other books are adapting just fine (I like the new storyling with the Fantastic Four, and all of the X Books will just shrug this off, as it has little bearing on them. But for me, I liked how the New Avengers and Spider-Man books were going, adn now all of that is just gone. It just makes me wonder how long they had the idea of 'Civil War' before they launched it.

Of course, it may just be because I read all of thses books in the span of a few days after downloading them, but hey...

I've read almost the entire Civil War storyline, from start to finish, thanks to the mirical of Azureus. All in all I enjoyed it, though at times I really didn't get why the groups were fighting each other (Cap seemed a wee bit out of character at times to me, but I've never been a big Cap fan untill recently). My biggest problem with this whole storyline is that- while it opened up many new storyline possabilities- it just completely killed all of the momentum the different books had. New Avangers, Young Avengers, Runaways (though that seems to be continuing on fine), Spider-Man and, of course, Captain America. Other books are adapting just fine (I like the new storyling with the Fantastic Four, and all of the X Books will just shrug this off, as it has little bearing on them. But for me, I liked how the New Avengers and Spider-Man books were going, adn now all of that is just gone. It just makes me wonder how long they had the idea of 'Civil War' before they launched it.

Of course, it may just be because I read all of thses books in the span of a few days after downloading them, but hey...

That's pretty much my problem with all of the mega "earth-shattering" crossovers that Marvel keeps doing. The writers of the regular series can never get into a good grove or develop any really great storylines because they have to devote a bunch of issues to the crossover and then a bunch more to developing the new "OMGZ NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME AGAIN" status quo.

I mean, I think the best (non Ultimate) book that Marvel's had lately is Dardevil, and that pretty much completely ignored the giant crossovers, thus Brubaker was able to develop a great storyline.

Like, I think Cable and Deadpool would be so much better if Cable didn't have to be pulled away every 6 issues or so to fight some big threat outside the series. Although the Civil War stuff in C&D was absolutely brilliant.