TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB: Week 1 (4/2-4/9)

We're only three days out from opening day - so it's time to start talking baseball that matters.

Season opens with Cleveland and the Chisox Sunday night on ESPN and is followed by the customary Triple Header on Monday.

Other notes of interest:

MLB.TV has dramatically improved their media player - maybe it's worth the purchase to you now if it wasn't before. The new player still hasn't been officially unveiled but there IS a preview available and it's VERY nice.

Most teams have their rosters set at this point. One interesting note out of Florida - lefthander Scott Olsen has been sent to AAA but HAS been named a member of the starting rotation. Not sure how that works out - but he'll be back up in time for his first start.

Best sport in the world - back again.

Guest Princess Leena

I got mlb.tv free for a year through Verizon a couple years ago. It's really a worthwhile thing to get if you're one of the many baseball freaks here. And it does look quite a bit better now.

Most teams have their rosters set at this point. One interesting note out of Florida - lefthander Scott Olsen has been sent to AAA but HAS been named a member of the starting rotation. Not sure how that works out - but he'll be back up in time for his first start.

Most teams have a few off days in the first few weeks so they carry a four man rotation and carry an extra player off the bench. Olsen would get called up when the team needs a fifth starter.

Since one of the bigger opening series is the A's/Yankees in Oakland and that there is always plenty of Yankee discussion on the forum I figured I'd mention something in advance before Monday's game. For those that don't know the A's have decided to tarp off their upper deck for the entire season. Just to avoid the "why is the upper deck tarped off?" questions come Monday.

The idea is to increase season ticket sales by limiting the availability for fans to walk up right before a game and buy tickets. The A's have led the Majors in walk up attendance on a regular basis because they can fit 55,000 in the Coliseum and they have a low season ticket base. Also they do this so they know in advance how many vendors/ticket takers/etc they need for each game as there has been a handful of games in the past for the A's where they would for example sell 15,000 presale and then end up with a 20,000 walk up crowd. In the end the ownership is trying to maxmize revenues and who could blame them? Of course some of the natives are royally pissed off and making a much bigger deal of it than necessary, although I would agree it seems counter productive to do it for all games especially Opening Night when they could easily clear 50,000 against the Yankees. Not sure if people who can't get tickets to the Yankees series will suddenly turn around buy tickets to see the Royals.

I'm going to the game between the Red Sox and Orioles on April 9th at Camden Yards with alot of fellow co-workers. First time I'll be seeing Camden Yards and from what I gather the pitcher for the Red Sox on that day might be Josh Beckett.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm going to the Yankees game on Saturday. And I'm stalking a certain SS. If he plays these meaningless games.

Guest OKCoyote

I'd love to be able to afford MLB.TV, but it's probably not going to happen.

And I don't get too many Red Sox games out here, so it looks like another year of GameDay graphics.

Since one of the bigger opening series is the A's/Yankees in Oakland and that there is always plenty of Yankee discussion on the forum I figured I'd mention something in advance before Monday's game. For those that don't know the A's have decided to tarp off their upper deck for the entire season. Just to avoid the "why is the upper deck tarped off?" questions come Monday.

The idea is to increase season ticket sales by limiting the availability for fans to walk up right before a game and buy tickets. The A's have led the Majors in walk up attendance on a regular basis because they can fit 55,000 in the Coliseum and they have a low season ticket base. Also they do this so they know in advance how many vendors/ticket takers/etc they need for each game as there has been a handful of games in the past for the A's where they would for example sell 15,000 presale and then end up with a 20,000 walk up crowd. In the end the ownership is trying to maxmize revenues and who could blame them? Of course some of the natives are royally pissed off and making a much bigger deal of it than necessary, although I would agree it seems counter productive to do it for all games especially Opening Night when they could easily clear 50,000 against the Yankees. Not sure if people who can't get tickets to the Yankees series will suddenly turn around buy tickets to see the Royals.

Monumentally stupid idea.

What about the fans who would like to go to a game but can only afford those tarped off seats? I could actually see some sort of lawsuit being filed by some idiot fan claiming he's being discriminated against because he can't afford lower level seats.

Besides, how exactly does telling people they can't buy tickets maximize revenue?

Supply and demand, limit the supply in hopes of increasing the demand for season tickets. Why do you think the trend for these newer stadiums is to go to smaller capacities? Even the Cardinals, who have no problem selling season tickets, have gone to a smaller capacity with their new stadium. The A's, like all teams, have discount ticket nights so those who can't afford regular prices will have their chances. Besides baseball tickets are still cheaper than football and basketball tickets. So far it has partially worked as season ticket sales are up although how much of that is due to people buying them so they don't get shutout from other games or those who bought them due to a very positive offseason for the team is another question.

A tough schedule in April for the Twinkies. First six games on the road against Toronto and Cleveland. Next nine at home against Oakland, New York and Los Angeles. Last nine on the road against Chicago, KC, and Detroit.

Does anyone beside the media care about past steroid use? This investigation is pointless. You aren't going to get any real information, and more importantly, I don't think most fans care all that much. They just want to enjoy the upcoming season.

I care. I'd like to know which mashers in the live-ball era should be completely disregarded when it comes to their achievements. I know Canseco, McGuire and Raffy and Ken Camaneti for sure but I'd like to know who else. I don't believe Bonds and Sosa are/were clean the entire time and I'd like to see if it comes back with actual proof.

I want it to be done with. I'm aware that it's an important issue, but it's going to overshadow the entire season. There are things pertaining to the game that don't involve Barry Bonds or steroids.

I'm a bit surprised ESPN doesn't look to be offering the Cubs/Reds on Opening Day.

I care. I'd like to know which mashers in the live-ball era should be completely disregarded when it comes to their achievements. I know Canseco, McGuire and Raffy and Ken Camaneti for sure but I'd like to know who else. I don't believe Bonds and Sosa are/were clean the entire time and I'd like to see if it comes back with actual proof.

The problem is this investigation isn't likely to give you solid evidence of who was using steroids or other performance enhancing drugs.

I want it to be done with. I'm aware that it's an important issue, but it's going to overshadow the entire season. There are things pertaining to the game that don't involve Barry Bonds or steroids.

I'm a bit surprised ESPN doesn't look to be offering the Cubs/Reds on Opening Day.

Wha? ESPN always carries the first Reds game, doesn't it? hmph. It'll be on WGN for sure, though

Guest Princess Leena
Does anyone beside the media care about past steroid use? This investigation is pointless. You aren't going to get any real information, and more importantly, I don't think most fans care all that much. They just want to enjoy the upcoming season.

The fans do care... but, entertainment overrides caring what these spoiled athletes do to their bodies. Much like wrestling, where we accept that wrestlers have to put steroids in their body just to keep their job.

And the "investigation" is so pointless to do now. Baseball fucked it all up. They should just admit that they did nothing in the past, admit that thinking what the fans don't know won't hurt them.

If baseball doesn't find that tons of these sluggers were on steroids, then fans will think they're covering things up. If they do find things, then what can they do anyway? And it will be LOTS of work to try learning the truth about these things. It's not worth it.

I don't think I'm going to be able to see any of the Monday games on TV here. I was hoping Sportsnet might show one of them, but looking at their schedule, while the West region gets the Angels/Rangers game, Ontario gets exciting fishing shows.

We also know that Brady Anderson took steroids. If you look at the numbers it is amazing.

I don't buy it. Anderson had one single year where he hit 50 home runs. It seems incredible to me that someone would take steroids, hit an enormous number of home runs, and then stop. Why wouldn't he have kept taking them? I think it's more likely that Anderson's season was one of those once in a decade flukes. Davey Johnson once hit 43 home runs and never hit more than 18 in a season. Heck, Roger Maris' 61 was a full twenty-two home runs more than he hit in any other season.

Steroids are quite suspicious when it comes to late career performance spikes. But I don't think they are an easy explanation for single season fluke performances.

We also know that Brady Anderson took steroids. If you look at the numbers it is amazing.

I don't buy it. Anderson had one single year where he hit 50 home runs. It seems incredible to me that someone would take steroids, hit an enormous number of home runs, and then stop. Why wouldn't he have kept taking them? I think it's more likely that Anderson's season was one of those once in a decade flukes. Davey Johnson once hit 43 home runs and never hit more than 18 in a season. Heck, Roger Maris' 61 was a full twenty-two home runs more than he hit in any other season.

Steroids are quite suspicious when it comes to late career performance spikes. But I don't think they are an easy explanation for single season fluke performances.

Everyone suspects steroid use because Brady Anderson got huge (relatively speaking) that year he hit 50 and he was in his early to mid 30's by then. It could easily be a statistical anomaly, but it still looks suspicious.

IT WAS BACON DAMNIT! HE ATE BACON EVERYDAY THE YEAR HE HIT 50.

err..whatever.

The O's will probably get swept by the D-Rays since they always seem to find a way to suck more than usual vs the D-Rays..then again maybe this year is different...ha.

Carl Pavano, who already had been scheduled to begin the season on the disabled list because of a back injury, has been shut down because of his bruised left buttocks.

Shut down because of a pain in the ass.

Well, Wright was amazing last ST before fucking his shoulder up, and he had a horrific spring this year. So, that means hes going to be good, right?!? RIGHT!?

I swear if Wang and Chacon turn out to suck the Yanks are fucking SCREWED.