TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB: Week 1 (4/2-4/9)

I still bet the Yankees pitching fades off mid-season.

Foulke sure looked great today.

1127216177_6718.jpg

I'd make Papelbon the closer but thats just me.

Guest NYankees
Well aint this just the typical start of the season for the Oakland Athletics.

Not that Zito was good or anything, but I'll be damned if some of those pitches he threw were not strikes and the ump just sat there while Johnson would go and throw the same pitch and get a strike called.

In what is now a totally lost game, at least Frank Thomas starts off his Oakland A's tenure with an exclamation point.

Why did I take class off for Zito rather then Harden!?! :(

Were we watching the same game???? Zito had no command of the strike zone and no control whatsoever. There is a reason why he didn't last two innnings and it wasn't because of the ump.

Well aint this just the typical start of the season for the Oakland Athletics.

Not that Zito was good or anything, but I'll be damned if some of those pitches he threw were not strikes and the ump just sat there while Johnson would go and throw the same pitch and get a strike called.

In what is now a totally lost game, at least Frank Thomas starts off his Oakland A's tenure with an exclamation point.

Why did I take class off for Zito rather then Harden!?! :(

Were we watching the same game???? Zito had no command of the strike zone and no control whatsoever. There is a reason why he didn't last two innnings and it wasn't because of the ump.

I know. Zito Sucked, Period. And the pitches I am referring to wouldn't have made that big of a difference, but he also threw a LOT of borderline pitches that the Ump just sat on his hands during, while Johnson was getting a lot of questionable "inside corner" calls.

Guest NYankees

I think the umpire was calling the zito borderline pitches balls all night is because Zito had zero command of the strike zone. If Zito had pitched better he would have got those calls. Be thankful Frank Thomas still has his swing. He could be the best bargin in baseball this year.

It appears as though Brian Bannister is going to start the second game for the Mets. I think he shows plenty of promise, sure, but I also believe that Mets management is putting far too much stock in his spring training numbers. Regardless of how well Heilman (usually) does in the bullpen, I really think he should be in the rotation instead of Bannister, who has no MLB experience and only pitched forty-five (frankly unimpressive) innings in AAA.

From the "lamb led to slaughter" department, 23-year-old rookie southpaw Sean Marshall gets to make his first start on the 9th against the Cardinals. If that's not a trial by fire, I dunno what is.

He can't possibly do worse than Jon Lieber.

And on a similar note, when the hell did Aaron Miles learn how to hit? He had 17 extra base hits all of last season and he hit three yesterday.

Guest Princess Leena
Nomar Garciaparra is injured already?!??!?!? bahahahahahahaha ohhhhhhh man.

Awesome.

Was this injury as great as the groin one last year.

Guest Princess Leena
An A-BOMB BY AROD. Grand Slam baby, Yankees on top 7-0.

OH HE DOES IT ON OPENNING DAY BUT PLAYOFFS K K K K K. Blah blah, etc...

An A-BOMB BY AROD. Grand Slam baby, Yankees on top 7-0.

OH HE DOES IT ON OPENNING DAY BUT PLAYOFFS K K K K K. Blah blah, etc...

Your boy A-Rod is so clutch it's scary :D

And on a similar note, when the hell did Aaron Miles learn how to hit? He had 17 extra base hits all of last season and he hit three yesterday.

I would guess that's some of the "cardinal magic" that Czech was talking about a while ago. Or a fluke. Would be pretty nice if he could do that sort of thing the whole season.

Brewers won yesterday and looked good. That's all I care about. Carlos Lee and JJ Hardy both homered. Turnbow gets his first save of the year.

I would guess that's some of the "cardinal magic" that Czech was talking about a while ago. Or a fluke. Would be pretty nice if he could do that sort of thing the whole season.

It's funny: if Marshall was starting for the Cardinals against the Cubs, we'd be clueless against him. This actually happened against that (is it Zach?) Duke kid that came up to Pittsburgh and shut the Cubs out.

WhjSEFtZ.jpg

Well, here's where we should've put the bomb.

blah, blah, froze when I read what Czech wrote, know people working at GABP, pray for the safety, blah

It's funny: if Marshall was starting for the Cardinals against the Cubs, we'd be clueless against him. This actually happened against that (is it Zach?) Duke kid that came up to Pittsburgh and shut the Cubs out.

Duke wasn't the highest profile prospect, but he posted a 20-5 combined record in AAA and the Majors last season. He was legit.

Nomar Garciaparra is injured already?!??!?!? bahahahahahahaha ohhhhhhh man.

Awesome.

Was this injury as great as the groin one last year.

No. He just showed up with a strained ribcage and asked to be pulled out of the lineup. If he goes down, I want him to go down in flames.

Agreed. I don't like the line-up they have surrounding out three big hitters, but atleast we got off to a good start. And Carpenter was pitching well, but he does tend to lose a bit of focus when he has a big lead.

Guest StylesMark

Yankees did great last night. Of course, Meltdown Mike takes the mound tonight.

Ha...another Thome HR. Fans in Philly are bitching. And the world continues to go around.

Guest NYankees

I know that it is old, but can someone please tell me why the Twins released Ortiz after the 2002 season? I believe he hit 20 plus homeruns and 70 rbi's that season. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Ha...another Thome HR. Fans in Philly are bitching. And the world continues to go around.

Are they? Even if Thome has a great season it was a good trade. Ryan Howard's a good player in his own right and there's a difference between DH'ing and playing first base.

I know that it is old, but can someone please tell me why the Twins released Ortiz after the 2002 season? I believe he hit 20 plus homeruns and 70 rbi's that season. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Like Mike said, he battled injuries. Plus, he could only DH most of the time and a DH who hits 20 home runs with a .339 OBP is decent, not spectacular. I don't anyone anticipated that he's blow up like he did after that season.

Guest StylesMark

Are they? Even if Thome has a great season it was a good trade. Ryan Howard's a good player in his own right and there's a difference between DH'ing and playing first base.

Like Mike said, he battled injuries. Plus, he could only DH most of the time and a DH who hits 20 home runs with a .339 OBP is decent, not spectacular. I don't anyone anticipated that he's blow up like he did after that season.

Yes...they are. I live 40 minutes from Philly. They are bitching. Just like every December, only that's about the Eagles.

Guest NYankees

So what is the main point of their bitching? I thought all Philly fans wanted Thome moved to make room for Ryan Howard. Do Philly fans think they could have got more in return for Thome??

Anyone have a weather update from Oakland? I am sitting here bored in a class that I am ready to just drop, and the only reason I am here is because I figured the A's game was going to get rained out since it has been raining non-stop unlike On & Off the way it was yesterday. I only hope the weather is a bit dryer in Oakland. If the game is ON, I am sooooo outta here.