TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

MLB: Week 1 (4/2-4/9)

Watching ESPN, Joe Morgan and co. repeated the same story about the Cubs scoring a large percentage of their runs via the home run. Last year the Cubs finished ninth in runs scored, despite finishing second in batting average, slugging percentage and home runs. They were 13th in stolen bases yes. They were also sixteenth (last) in walks.

Joe West squeezed Ervin Santana on what should have been strike 3 on 3 different pitches. His act of "young pitchers have to earn the strike zone" has gotten so tiresome. I think this marks year number 3 in a row that I've complained about him as well.

Joe West's incompetence goes back more than 3 years. That guy is brutal. I always cringe when he umps a Phillies game.

I meant complaining about him on this board.

Anyways, Camden Yards is a beautiful park. Orioles fans really should support their team by going more. Tickets are cheap and it really was a good experience. Here's the difference between Orioles and Red Sox fans though (at least at the game I attended).

Red Sox fans cheered on great plays or clutch hits from their team.

Orioles fans were pretty much silent until the middle of some inning when they played Cotton Eyed Joe. Then the all the fans in Orange stood up and sang. It was bizarre.

He wasn't getting the benefit of close pitches in the first, either.

I must say I enjoyed seeing the battle Pierre just put Ponson through. There were games last year when Corey Patterson wouldn't see that many pitches in a game. Jacques Jones still doesn't have a batting average.

All things considered, the Cubs should be happy. Edmonds had a chance to put this game out of reach and it was only a matter of time before Pujols got a hit. With the bags full, Wuertz couldn't really work around him. With five at-bats left, no reason why the Cubs can scrape together a couple more runs.

Well, if you mean me Czech, I'm in southern Illinois, so It's not exactly North Shore here. I'm actually only about an hour's drive away from St. Louis, so pretty much every one here is a Cardinals fan.

Not that the batter should have even feigned a swing at that pitch, but man that was a bad call.

Daniel Cabrera threw 6 walks in the first inning of Friday's game. I don't think anybody is walking more batters than that. A driver at work said they started quoting Bob Eucher's stuff from Major League on the radio broadcast of the game.

I was surprised to see Izzy get brought in to get six outs, but I figured it was just LaRussa rationalizing that the big sticks were up in the eighth and that's when the game needed to be saved. Has Looper pitched yet?

And the happiness in Boston just hit a brick wall.

Coco Crisp out 1-2 Months with broken knuckle on non throwing hand.

Good luck with the Mo Pena experience.

Adam Stern looked fine yesterday. There was one point where he made a throw from the warning track in right center and it one hopped its way to third base. I went "Oh shit!" and the Orioles fans behind me said "That kid has a fucking cannon. Why couldn't the Orioles get him instead of Patterson?!".

Oh, I think I also forgot to say that Keith Foulke looked really good yesterday. His change-up was nasty.