TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

What exactly is a geek?

Guest wildpegasus

So what defines someone as a geek? I know I'm a geek but I think I'm a little different because I have some non geek charactaristics.

Maybe we can get some kind of test going here or something. 10 points for glasses, 10 points for being a smartmarks member, -10 points for playing a sport, 200 points for liking Star Wars/500 points if you have a Star Wars doll, 2 points for never kissing a girl, -25 points if you're cool and so on.

Geeks are socially awkward people, often with (due to?) a general lack of intelligence/common sense. Nerds are their smarter and/or somewhat more well adjusted relatives.

Nerds tend to have friends (often other nerds). Geeks are usually loners.

Anyone who goes to those anime conventions by themselves is a geek. Bonus points if they're in costume. Nerds go with all of their other nerd friends.

Geeks practice kissing in the mirror, on their hand, an inanimate object etc.

Geeks often have livejournal or myspace accounts where every detail of their life is blogged.

Anyone who is emo is a geek, because emo people can't have friends. See the 2nd "rule".

I could go on, but I think the point is clear. It's somewhat OK to be a nerd, but being a geek is not cool.

Maybe we can get some kind of test going here or something. 10 points for glasses, 10 points for being a smartmarks member, -10 points for playing a sport, 200 points for liking Star Wars/500 points if you have a Star Wars doll, 2 points for never kissing a girl, -25 points if you're cool and so on.

+150 points for posting here.

029b.JPG

A geek is a circus performer who bites the heads off chickens and small animals, and drinks their blood.

Guest Princess Leena

Let's see...

3 points for occasionally needing glasses, 10 points for being a member here with no gimmick accounts, -10 for playing a sport, 2 for never kissing a girl :(.

I'm at 5.

Anyone who is emo is a geek, because emo people can't have friends. See the 2nd "rule".

But, I'm emo! :(

Geeks are emo and loners? Hardly.

People who go to anime conventions and don't socialize aren't geeks, they are losers.

Geeks aren't smart? In what world aren't geeks smart? The main difference between a geek and a nerd is geeks have knowledge but don't act on the high horse whereas nerds will TELL you how smart they are and keep reminding you of how smart they are.

Geeks and Nerds usually get thrown into the same pile since folks tend to think a person who loves movies and acts like an ass is a geek. No, that's a nerd. Geeks enjoy movies and enjoy discussion of movies but we aren't going to rip you a new asshole for not knowing the name of a character. Geeks use movie quotes in general conversation and snicker when they hear someone quote a movie without them realizing it.

Geeks are relaxed and groovy, nerds are uptight.

Geeks have sex, nerds talk about sex but never actually do it.

Geeks don't practice kissing with a mirror, that's a nerd. Geeks will just find another geek and say, "wanna make out" and then make out.

People who go to anime conventions and don't socialize aren't geeks, they are losers.

Geeks aren't smart? In what world aren't geeks smart? The main difference between a geek and a nerd is geeks have knowledge but don't act on the high horse whereas nerds will TELL you how smart they are and keep reminding you of how smart they are.

Geeks and Nerds usually get thrown into the same pile since folks tend to think a person who loves movies and acts like an ass is a geek. No, that's a nerd. Geeks enjoy movies and enjoy discussion of movies but we aren't going to rip you a new asshole for not knowing the name of a character. Geeks use movie quotes in general conversation and snicker when they hear someone quote a movie without them realizing it.

Geeks don't practice kissing with a mirror, that's a nerd. Geeks will just find another geek and say, "wanna make out" and then make out.

So basically you're a geek and took offense with what I had to say. I think that pretty much says it all.

I'm the proudest geek here. But, according to WP's numbers game, I'm only a -15 geek. Fuck that. I play a wrestling simulator game and wear Linux shirts, bitch. That's atleast 1,000 points right there.

So basically you're a geek and took offense with what I had to say. I think that pretty much says it all.

Actually no, what I do get tired of is when they try to make the nerds look cool. Nerds aren't meant to be cool, it was never their purpose. Nerds need to accept they get their books dumped and pushed head first into toilets as their right of passage.

The difference is I actually know the definitons behind geek, nerd, dork, loser, dweeb, spaz, goth, emo and dickweed.

Actually no, what I do get tired of is when they try to make the nerds look cool. Nerds aren't meant to be cool, it was never their purpose. Nerds need to accept they get their books dumped and pushed head first into toilets as their right of passage.

The difference is I actually know the definitons behind geek, nerd, dork, loser, dweeb, spaz, goth, emo and dickweed.

How can a geek make a nerd look cool or vice versa? It's like bragging about being the tallest midget.

How can a geek make a nerd look cool or vice versa? It's like bragging about being the tallest midget.

By definition, if you have a favorite movie that you can quote a line from and you can say you love then you are a geek. Geeks aren't the uncool, most geeks are just the people who couldn't make it as jocks. Somehow, geek got tossed in with nerds which was never the place it was supposed to go.

Simon Pegg was right, by definition EVERYONE is a geek. It's just the level of geek you are at. If you don't have a movie you can quote from, if you've never used movie quotes in a conversation, if you haven't went to a film and laughed at some obscure reference that no one else got then you aren't a geek or a nerd.

Then you move into the upper echeleon which includes prep and jock. If you cannot fit into prep or jock, you are a geek.

By defintion, WP isn't a geek...he's a spaz with geek potential.

And by definition I went from geek to jock back down to geekdom. So yeah, I guess I am a geek.

I propose that anyone who uses geek in a context other than that of someone who bites the heads off chickens is butchering the English language horribly.

Guest The Satanic Angel
So what defines someone as a geek? I know I'm a geek but I think I'm a little different because I have some non geek charactaristics.

Based on this scale, I'm at 210.. just because I like Star Wars.. (is Star Trek grouped in there?)..

By definition, if you have a favorite movie that you can quote a line from and you can say you love then you are a geek. Geeks aren't the uncool, most geeks are just the people who couldn't make it as jocks. Somehow, geek got tossed in with nerds which was never the place it was supposed to go.

Simon Pegg was right, by definition EVERYONE is a geek. It's just the level of geek you are at. If you don't have a movie you can quote from, if you've never used movie quotes in a conversation, if you haven't went to a film and laughed at some obscure reference that no one else got then you aren't a geek or a nerd.

Then you move into the upper echeleon which includes prep and jock. If you cannot fit into prep or jock, you are a geek.

By defintion, WP isn't a geek...he's a spaz with geek potential.

And by definition I went from geek to jock back down to geekdom. So yeah, I guess I am a geek.

Fair enough. I was looking at the lowest strata of geek then. It's been a while since high school, but I remember that all of the nerds stuck together and did their nerdy thing. The jocks, preps, jewish american princesses etc all did the same as well. Anyone who didn't fit in anywhere, or was alone 90%+ of the time became my visual of a geek.

I guess anyone who watches TAR, or uses the logic you have would classify the hippies as geeks, I wouldn't because they actually seem like cool guys and I think of geeks as being the people that most everyone else avoids.

Ok I'll take the test.

I don't have glasses but will by the end of the year. I'm on 0 points.

I am a smartmarks member. I'm on 10 points.

I do amateur wrestling. Back to 0.

I don't like Star Wars. Still 0.

Never kissed a girl. 2 points.

I'm as cool as anyone. - 23 points is my total.

Oh yeah, RESULTS!!!!

I propose that anyone who uses geek in a context other then that of somone who bites the heads off chickens is butchering the English language horribly.

Table that. We as the Anglosphere have considerably bigger fish to fry.

Guest wildpegasus

Ok ill take the test.

I dont have glasses but will by the end of the year. Im on 0 points.

I am a smartmarks member. Im on 10 points.

I do amateur wrestling. Back to 0.

I dont like starwars. Still 0.

Never kissed a girl. 2 points.

Im as cool as anyone. - 23 points is my total.

Oh yeah, RESULTS!!!!

That was just the beginning of the formula. I just typed a couple of things down. It's far from complete.

By definition WP isn't a geek...he's a spaz with geek potential

Don't even know what a spaz is. 2Gold, can you elaborate more on your conclusion here?

Well, there are many sub-groups including hippie, metalhead, and a few others that still leave them in the geek catergory since it's basically a giant ball. The nerds are the ones people should avoid as they are the ones who will take something so seriously they would consider dying for it. Liking Buffy wouldn't make you a nerd, calling Joss Whedon the greatest director ever and truly believing Buffy was cancelled before its time would make you a nerd or dork. Star Trek nerds are no longer Star Trek nerds or dorks, they are Trekkies but they are still dorks.

If you pretend you are into something you aren't, you are a poser which is actually just the loser group.

It's amazing how much the groupings got mangled and tangled over the last decade.

As for spaz WP, it basically means you are clumsy in a lot of normal social areas when you really shouldn't be. Have some sex, get some confidence and don't take Astro-Boy too seriously and you move back into geek. Avoid pretending to like things you don't just to make friends, otherwise you'll go from spaz to loser.

Real quick, the areas that basically leave you in geekdom with a risk of falling into nerd/dork forever if you like them:

Transformers, GI Joe, Comic Books (call them graphic novels, you are a nerd) or movies based on comic books, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, any Whedon-verse show, high school band, pro wrestling and of course Zucker and Mel Brooks movies.

2Gold, you're getting waaaaay too into these nonexistent subphyla here. Just quit while you're ahead on this one.

More to do with I was bored and can't leave because of my god damn meds. So what do I do? Occupy myself in the stupidest way possible. Thankfully, WP gave me a topic where I knew I could be bored while keeping myself busy. The other option was to watch Fairly Oddparents, but I've seen these episodes.

2Gold, you're getting waaaaay too into these nonexistent subphyla here. Just quit while you're ahead on this one.

More to do with I was bored and can't leave because of my god damn meds.

I want to be here less and less.