TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

When do you start to worry?

I generally don't worry for MLB, NFL, and the NBA on what the team's record is in until about the middle of the season unless they drop say their first 4-5 games in the NFL. I don't count college football where if you lose one game, you are more or less toast for the championship (which is why we need playoffs).

I know some though who think that if you are at or slightly below .500 come the middle of the season you don't have a prayer, even though the other team is only say 6-7 games ahead in the standings.

Fuck, hasn't that happened for most of this decade though?

Apr-Jun: "Looks like this may be the year someone else wins the NL East"

Then by the end of July, the Braves are back in first

Yea, July is when they heat up and take over for good.

The Braves website was constantly saying "No guys, Leo Mazzone wasn't that good, we'll be fine", now...I'm not so sure.

I also remember being PISSED after the Nets lost their first game of the season. So yea, I get worried pretty early.

With the NFL, it's Week 7 or 8 when I start to get really concerned. College football depends on how many games I expected Tennessee to lose each year based on the schedule. Once they start flirting with that number or surpassing it I freak out.

I always get concerned early, even in sports with long seasons like baseball. I always say at the end of the year when a team's coming down to the wire for a playoff spot that if they hadn't coughed up a game to some scrubs in May or June, they wouldn't be in this situation. Every game counts in my book, at least until you clinch a playoff spot.

Guest Vitamin X

In the NFL, I start worrying around Week 8-10, when the playoff picture is really taking shape. Closer to Week 10, actually. I didn't give up on Green Bay until the second loss to the Vikings, which dropped them to 2-8. Mainly this was because they didn't lose all but 4 of their games by more than a touchdown. The four games were against Detroit in Week 1 (3-17), the eventual SB champ Steelers (10-20), the division champion Bears (7-19), and the absolutely pathetic showing against the Ravens on MNF (3-48).

In the NBA, it's usually around the All-Star Break or so.

If the Flames or Habs are still doing poorly at the All-Star break, then I start getting concerned. I don't give up 'til they're officially out, though.

The Braves website was constantly saying "No guys, Leo Mazzone wasn't that good, we'll be fine", now...I'm not so sure.

Wow, talk about sticking your head in the sand. How does a guy last for over a decade as a team's pitching coach if he's not that good?

To answer the question, for baseball, not until interleague play begins.

Football is the only sport, college or pro, where every win is important...no other way around it.

as far as the NBA, NHL and MLB, unless your team is totally stinking up the joint right out of the gate (The Knicks), you shouldn't have to worry until after their All-Star Breaks...if your team is in the Easter Conference in the NBA, as it is right now, a sub .500 record could net you a 7 or 8 seed, so you don't have to fret that much. The Western Conference doesn't afford you that luxury, you have to be over .500 to make it in. I would say the MLB is more important than the NBA or NHL in record watching regards as they have 8 less teams in their playoff system.

College Basketball is kinda funny as you need a good record to make the tournament, but if you coast through the season and manage to win your conference tournament, you'll make it in regardless of your record.

Guest Princess Leena

College bball: If you're one the scrub teams I like, regular season means nothing. More so, since I ignore the NIT.

I think the "every win matters in the NFL" mantra is a bit overstated. There have been so many teams that have started stongly and ended their season on a long winning streak, or vice versa, that up until week 8 or 10, it's not necessarily the end of the world when a team loses.

I can't think of specifics, but didn't Atlanta (or one of the other Southern teams) start off 8-2 a few years ago, only to end their season on a 6 game losing streak and finish at .500%? And the Pats, a few years ago, snuck into the playoffs because of a 6-game (or so) winning streak.

College football, though, it's really one-loss & you're done, unless EVERY other team loses a game.

I think the "every win matters in the NFL" mantra is a bit overstated. There have been so many teams that have started stongly and ended their season on a long winning streak, or vice versa, that up until week 8 or 10, it's not necessarily the end of the world when a team loses.

I can't think of specifics, but didn't Atlanta (or one of the other Southern teams) start off 8-2 a few years ago, only to end their season on a 6 game losing streak and finish at .500%? And the Pats, a few years ago, snuck into the playoffs because of a 6-game (or so) winning streak.

College football, though, it's really one-loss & you're done, unless EVERY other team loses a game.

Even still when you need at least 10 wins out of 16 to make the playoffs in the AFC these days you can't really afford to take any game lightly, especially if it's in your division/conference due to all of the tiebreakers. In baseball you can go on a ten game losing streak and still end up 10-20 games over .500 just because there will always be teams like the Royals, D-Rays and the former Expos who are there to get fat on. In football if my team (the Giants) is 4-4 at the halfway point I don't expect them to make the playoffs unless they go at least 6-2 in the second half just because they're probably well behind the 6th spot and/or trailing in many of the key tiebreaks. On the other hand if the Mets are 41-41 they're firmly in the hunt just because they don't need to win at least 75% of their remaining games just to have a shot. Going 100-62 for example is more than likely going to win them the division by at least a handful of games, but a 10-6 football team could end up on the outside looking in.

For me, it mostly depends on how other teams are doing. I just like them to keep pace with other teams they're supposed to compete with.