TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Czech Republic

TWIB No. 2: 10 April-16 April

The Brewers and Tigers are leading their leagues. The smallball/speed/fundamentals Cubs STILL only amass runs with longballs. The Marlins won a game. The Yankees and White Sox aren't hot yet (but Guillen and Steinbrenner's tempers are!). The Braves are a mess. Bonds hasn't homered yet. Here's the next weekly thread.

I think the biggest inexperience problem on the Marlins is gonna come from Joe Girardi. He's already made some baffling decisions, but most of the rookies have played exceptionally well.

Jeremy Hermida has the best batters eye I have EVER seen. He's exceptional.

I wouldn't say the Braves are a mess.

I think their starting pitching just had a rough week and Smoltz had a good game yesterday, so there's hope. Giles is fine I think, and they're saying Chipper's injury isn't too serious.

The bullpen sucks, but we knew that going in.

Another Reds-Cubs series. How many runs will be scored this time? Whenever the reds play the cubs it seems like there are a boatload or runs scored by both teams, tons of strange happenings and errors, and the teams always seem to split the series. And the wind always seems to be blowing out when the reds go to wrigley

Lee will hit at least 3 home runs in this series. Milton will give up at least 2 in one inning and Arroyo will get rocked since the cubs saw him already. But, the reds will probably smack around Rusch, and Maddux is hittable. So, I get the feeling there are going to be lots of runs.

Whenever A-Rod is in the building, they should just have Colon skip his start. In 45 career at-bats, A-Rod has torched him for eight home runs and a robust line of .444/.460/1.133.

Oh, I was just amused by how many references the MLB pages made to "Colon gets pounded by Yanks" and stuff.

New Busch is beautiful, by the way. I like it a lot. I'd make an adventure down to St. Louis for a Cubs game but I guess every single ticket has been sold all year.

Hmmm, so Looper comes in to close out the game and after looking pretty good and getting a double play, it's followed by a double and an RBI single, and he's taken out as Izzy attempts to get the final out. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Aaaand Izzy gives up an RBI single, then walks the next guy. Come on, get the last out please.

EDIT: Finally. I see there are still some bullpen "issues".

Anyway, besides that final inning, this was pretty much a perfect opening day. Albert hit a home run, Rolen had 2 RBIs and a great play at third, Mulder had 8 strong innings and a homerun. Good way to bounce back from getting owned by the Cubbies.

Chipper has a grade 1 sprain of his right knee and ankle. Way to sell it like a soccer player though and act like your leg exploded as you fell. 15 day DL for Larry.

Lee will hit at least 3 home runs in this series. Milton will give up at least 2 in one inning and Arroyo will get rocked since the cubs saw him already. But, the reds will probably smack around Rusch, and Maddux is hittable. So, I get the feeling there are going to be lots of runs.

They smacked Arroyo around last June, but looked lost against him last week. But I agree. These series are never good for team ERAs.

Guest Smues

Thompson has thrown not 1, not 2, but THREE scoreless innings to open this game. Sure they've been shakey innings, but this is the first time Atlanta hasn't given up a run in the first 3 innings all season, and in fact this is only the 2nd time in now 8 games that Atlanta hasn't given up at least 3 runs in the first 3 innings. Now of course watch the Phillies have a huge 4th inning, but hey I'll enjoy my scoreless 3 innings!

that would be the powerhouse Kansas City Royals. I'm seriously starting to wonder if there's a chance that the Royals could be even worse than the Marlins. I mean, at least the Marlins have Dontrelle, Miguel Cabrera and a whole lot of upper tier prospects. The Royals have a broken down Mike Sweeney and old Reggie Sanders.

The Royals are probably better. The difference is that the Marlins have several players like Eric Reed and Dan Uggla, who are top candidates to crash and burn, leaving their team with a gaping hole. The Royals at least have mediocracy to fall back on. David DeJesus is a nice player too, for what it's worth.

The Phillies' 1-6 start is frustrating. The problem is their league worst .160 batting average with RISP. There's not much you can do besides wait it out, but it is highly frustrating in the meantime.

Neither the Royals nor the Marlins look to be the worst team in baseball... I'll give that nod to those wonderful Pittsburgh Pirates. I know it's only the beginning of the season... but seriously, does anyone have a hope in hell for them?