TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Czech Republic

TWIB No. 2: 10 April-16 April

the fact that Arroyo could have been hitting the home runs and giving us the solid pitching instead of doing that for the Reds kinda stings.

Well he's not gonna give "your" Red Sox the home runs inasmuch as pitchers don't bat in the American League. Also, they were off Glendon Rusch, who's still been coasting on his good 2004 and not really pitching that well for various reasons, e.g. shuttled back and forth between starter and long reliever last year, and whatever is going on now. Just looks like crap.

EDIT: Chong pointed out that the Cubs are undefeated when Rusch doesn't start. Eeeyowch.

In addition to Jacque Jones getting hurt, Aramis Ramirez apparently hurt his ass (literally) with a big swing late in today's game. I'm pretty sure I recall the swing, but damn, what dumb injury. If he goes down, say hello to Neifi!

Guest Smues
A pitcher with two homers in one month. How often has that happened?

I seem to recall someone hitting two against the Braves in one game in like 02, but I can't remember who or what team it was.

Edit: If my memory is correct whoever was pitching for the Braves that game (Millwood?) hit one too. Damn now I need to figure out what game I'm thinking of.

Mike Hampton hit two home runs in a single game for the Colorado Rockies against the Houston Astros on June 5, 2001.

In a game at Coors Field on May 18, 2002, both Kevin Millwood and opposing pitcher Denny Stark hit home runs.

Also to add more information, Wes Ferrell owns the career record with 36 home runs as a pitcher. Ferrell also owns the single season record with nine home runs in 1931. Jim Tobin is the only modern pitcher to hit three home runs in a game, doing so for the 1942 Boston Braves. One more note, pitcher Rick Wise hit two home runs while no-hitting the Reds in June of 1971.

Guest Smues
In a game at Coors Field on May 18, 2002, both Kevin Millwood and opposing pitcher Denny Stark hit home runs.

That must be the game I was thinking of. Dunno why I thought he hit two.

Guest StylesMark
Just got back from the game it was really a blast. Wang looked great through four innings with nine groundball outs and just collapsed after that. Crowd LOVED Bernie until he made got caught in "Bernie land" and got caught off 2nd with the bases loaded. Then he got the hit in the 8th, Jeter hit the Hrer, the crowd went nuts and Mo closed it down.

Sturtze is gonna be released soon I think, he just looked horrific out there.

Yeah, good game. Jeter shows why he is the anti-Rod.

Guest NYankees

I guess that I am the only one who thinks Darren Daulton is fucking crazy based off of his Espn interview.

Guest Princess Leena

Just got back from the game it was really a blast. Wang looked great through four innings with nine groundball outs and just collapsed after that. Crowd LOVED Bernie until he made got caught in "Bernie land" and got caught off 2nd with the bases loaded. Then he got the hit in the 8th, Jeter hit the Hrer, the crowd went nuts and Mo closed it down.

Sturtze is gonna be released soon I think, he just looked horrific out there.

Yeah, good game. Jeter shows why he is the anti-Rod.

Stop.

From Buster Olney.

Derek Jeter had another moment at Yankee Stadium. A note from Rob Tracy of the Elias Sports Bureau on the Jeter hit: It was only the second hit of Jeter's career in the eighth inning or later that drove in the tying and go-ahead runs. The other was in 1999 (including the postseason). During Jeter's tenure on the Yankees, Jorge Posada has five such hits and Scott Brosius had four. Jeter has had 56 chances to drive in a tying and go-ahead run in the eighth or later.

From Buster Olney.

Derek Jeter had another moment at Yankee Stadium. A note from Rob Tracy of the Elias Sports Bureau on the Jeter hit: It was only the second hit of Jeter's career in the eighth inning or later that drove in the tying and go-ahead runs. The other was in 1999 (including the postseason). During Jeter's tenure on the Yankees, Jorge Posada has five such hits and Scott Brosius had four. Jeter has had 56 chances to drive in a tying and go-ahead run in the eighth or later.

That's kind of misleading. How many times in the 56 AB's did Jeter just drive in the tying runs? Sure, it's great to tie it up AND then also take the lead on a hit, but tying it up in the 8th or later is almost as good. That stat also doesn't include games where Jeter went up where it was tied and gave the Yankees the lead.

From Buster Olney.

But Jeter is so clutch, blah, blah, blah. We don't need stats, blah, blah, blah.

It's a worthless argument. People can't seem to grasp the concept that there is no such thing as clutch hitting, and if there was, Jeter sure as hell doesn't have it.

That's really a worthless statistic. Jeter's a front of the order hitter and he's not a tremendous home run hitter. That their basis of comparisons have just two and three more just shows that such an event is an oddity more than any exhibition of skill. It's like measuring hitters based on ground rule doubles or something.

From Buster Olney.

But Jeter is so clutch, blah, blah, blah. We don't need stats, blah, blah, blah.

It's a worthless argument. People can't seem to grasp the concept that there is no such thing as clutch hitting, and if there was, Jeter sure as hell doesn't have it.

Did you even read the stat? Jeter has tied many games, and he's won many games. But this stat is tying and getting the lead all in one swing. That shouldn't take away from his clutchness.

That stat isn't really meaningful at all, I just found it interesting.

Sox sign Coco Crisp for a 3 year deal with an option. After 2008, Ortiz and Crisp are the only players on the books.

Guest NYankees

Yankees have 12 runs so far today. I guess that means that they are going to get shut out tommorow.

From Buster Olney.

Did you even read the stat? Jeter has tied many games, and he's won many games. But this stat is tying and getting the lead all in one swing. That shouldn't take away from his clutchness.

Yes, I read the stat and it wasn't really useful at all. I just wanted to point out that it might derail this thread into clutch vs. not clutch. It doesn't matter what stats or research you bring to people, they will never accept that Jeter or anyone else is not clutch.

After watching the Yankees and Royals I have two thoughts.

1.) The Yankees are going to be in trouble all year against other upper tier teams. They just don't have the pitching to compete. When the Royals are knocking around your starters then you know you're in trouble. Teams like Anaheim, Boston, Chi White Sox, Cleveland, Oakland, and perhaps even Toronto (when Halladay and Burnett are healthy) should do real well against them.

2.) The Royals at the very least are the worst team in the American League. I still think they're the worst team in baseball...if not them then maybe the Pirates.

Guest Sylvan Grenier
The Royals at the very least are the worst team in the American League. I still think they're the worst team in baseball...if not them then maybe the Pirates.

Pirates are probably worse, maybe the Rays.

how close is Fremont to Oakland? I only ask because the A's might be moving there.

Link

Fremont is about 25 miles south of Oakland, it's closer to San Jose. If I had to guess if the move happens they'd probably end up being the California A's. It's been a hot topic for about a month but I've gotten so tired of A's moving stories I've never bothered bringing it up here. I'd prefer they stay in Oakland, and long term I don't see at all how moving to a suburb is going to help the franchise, but as long as they stay in the Bay Area I'll support the team and Fremont is actually closer to where I live at the moment.

After watching the Yankees and Royals I have two thoughts.

1.) The Yankees are going to be in trouble all year against other upper tier teams. They just don't have the pitching to compete. When the Royals are knocking around your starters then you know you're in trouble. Teams like Anaheim, Boston, Chi White Sox, Cleveland, Oakland, and perhaps even Toronto (when Halladay and Burnett are healthy) should do real well against them.

2.) The Royals at the very least are the worst team in the American League. I still think they're the worst team in baseball...if not them then maybe the Pirates.

The Yankees sucked against the Royals and Devil Rays last year. I wouldn't put much stock into it. Not saying our pitching is great, its not very good, but they usually step it up against the top teams.

"Danny" Cabrera has 5ks through 2 innings

I've never heard him called that by a Baltimore announcer before..

/I like my MLB on XM but I hate having to listen to the home team announcers when its a road game for the Os.