TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest hardyz1

Racial Profiling Quiz

Guest hardyz1

Got this in an e-mail joke list:

To ensure that we Americans never offend anyone -- particularly fanatics intent on killing us -- airport screeners are not allowed to profile people. They will, however, continue to perform random searches of 80-year-old women, little kids, airline pilots with proper identification, Secret Service agents who are members of the President's security detail, and 85-year old Congressmen with metal hips.

Let's pause a moment and take the following test:

In 1972, 11 Israeli athletes were killed at the Munich Olympics by:

(a) Grandma Moses;

(b) The night cleaning crew at Rockefeller Center;

© Invaders from Mars; or

(d) Arab Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by:

(a) Norwegians from the Lichen Herbarium of the University of Oslo;

(b) Elvis;

© A tour bus full of 80-year-old women; or

In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:

(a) A pizza delivery boy;

(b) Crazed feminists complaining that having to throw a grenade beyond its own burst radius in basic training was an unfair and sexist job requirement;

© Geraldo Rivera making up for a slow news day; or

In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:

(a) Luca Brazzi, for not being given a part in "Godfather 2";

(b) The Tooth Fairy;

© Butch and Sundance, who had a few sticks of dynamite left over from their train mission; or,

In 1993, the World Trade Center was bombed by:

(a) The entire cast of "Cats";

(b) Martha Stewart;

© Cheese-crazed tourists from Wisconsin; or

In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania a were bombed by:

(a) Mr. Rogers;

(b) Hillary, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems;

© The World Wrestling Federation to promote its next villain: "Mustafa the Merciless"; or

On 9/11/01 four airliners were hijacked and destroyed by:

(a) Bugs Bunny, Will E. Coyote, Daffy Duck, and Elmer Fudd.

(b) The US Supreme Court,

© Barney; or

This proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the ACLU is completely right, and that we should never use racial profiling -- even though it would easily save thousands of American lives.

Even though I agree with the basic idea of this, I'm sure there are some factual errors in there somewhere, as is the norm with the afforementioned joke list.

Guest DrTom

The problem is, it's absolutely correct.  Racial profiling scares a lot of people because it's not politically correct, and our society seems to built on never making anyone feel bad about themselves.  We don't need to search Chinese grandmothers, punk teenagers, and Jewish bankers at the airports: we need to deliberately search Arab men between the ages of 17 and 50.  It's true that not all Arab men are terrorists who have attacked us recently, but all terrorists who have attacked us recently are Arab men.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.  To me, it's a simple equation and a simple decision.

Guest Invader3k

Yes, I absolutely agree that Arabs should be regularly checked at airlines, etc. It's not that all of them are bad...it's more a few rotten apples making it necessary for the rest of us to be safe. Besides, its not like any other ethnic groups are the ones trying to murder us on a routine basis.

I kind of like that face radar thing they are trying to implement, that scans your facial bone structure and runs it through computers looking for your match.  Then BOOM, and islamic fundamentalist walks through and we know and stop him/her/them.  here is a funny thing I am about to say, I am not rascist, but I am down with racial profiling, go fuckin figure.  You tell me your not and I will tell you your lying.

--Rob

Guest Ripper

Of course, maybe 7 events in the past 30 FUCKING YEARS is a good enough reason to treat hundred of thousands of americans diffrently.  Want to count the instance that mass lost of lives have been caused in america in the last 30 years caused by white men...

Guest ant_7000

Im against racial profiling, and Im not lying about it either as you guys probably know that already.

Guest DrTom

"Want to count the instance that mass lost of lives have been caused in america in the last 30 years caused by white men..."

When white men fly fuelly-fueled passenger planes into our skyscrapers and the Pentagon, be sure to let me know.

When white men blow up our Embassies overseas, be sure to let me know.

When white men send a bomb-ridden boat into a Naval carrier, be sure to let me know.

When white men park a van full of explosives beneath the WTC on a busy day, be sure to let me know.

Let's see, that's four incidents of terrorism by Arab men, and those are just the ones attributable to Usama bin Laden.  I think the death total he is responsible for dwarfs that of Timothy McVeigh.  

It's simple: all the people who have acted against this country recently have been Arab men.  There's no reason we shouldn't pay closer attention to them.

ok those who are against racial profiling listen up.  If you are a white preppy person, would you walk the streets of bed stai, ny at night?  IF you are black would you walk into a biker bar and sit down to have drinks?  If you are mexican would you try to have a conversation with pat buchanan?  That's what I thought.

--Rob

Guest DrEvil

Racial profiling does not mean a full body cavity search for any and all persons fitting description A, with all persons not fitting description A getting a free pass.  It means raising your guard and using extra caution with persons fitting description A.

We are at war.  Events have proven that the enemy has infiltrated the country.  Since the U.S. is a free country, it is a necessity to use caution with those who fit the description of the identified enemy.

Guest RetroRob215

I'm against racial profiling if it is being uses to an extreme.  Just paying more attention to Arab's is OK as long as they aren't bothered or harrassed.

Rob Stone, people may not want to walk the streets of Bed Stai, NY at night because there is a lot of crime there, not because of racial profiling.  Quite frankly, I don't see how your post has anything to do with racial profiling.  If anything it has to do with prejudice and being afraid to people who are different than you because of generalizations.

Guest DrTom

"If you are a white preppy person, would you walk the streets of bed stai, ny at night?"

I'm going to guess this is a high-crime area with a heavy minority population.  If a White person doesn't want to walk there at night, how exactly is that racial profiling?  Are Whites detained and searched unnecessarily on the streets?  Or do the Whites come in and take over, searching everyone else?

"IF you are black would you walk into a biker bar and sit down to have drinks?"

Since many "bikers" are former soldiers, I doubt a Black man would have anything to worry about.  Again, I fail to see what this has to do with racial profiling.  Your examples are clumsy examples of prejudice, and being afraid to enter places where you're ostensibly outnumbered 20 to 1.  There's probably a point to be made in there, but it doesn't really have anything to do with scrutinizing Arab men at airports.