TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Masked Man of Mystery

Movies that everyone loves that you cannot get the love for

Garden State.

I love Natalie Portman, and it sounded like a movie i'd love, but it just didn't do anything for me.

I really like it, but as Bob said, the ending was pretty bad and cliche.

What was a little annoying was I think it tried too hard to stand out. Example: plaque on the ceiling.

But the Ark scene is one of my favorites in recent memory.

Fight Club

Overrated, pretentious drivel; a movie worshipped by people who like to flaunt how "intelligent" their tastes in movies are.

Bullshit. The movie, like the book, was great, but your criticism of the movie's fans is ass-backwards. The movie wasn't "worshipped" by people because they want to seem intelligent. That'd be a refreshing change, actually, since the movie was quite briliantly done. No, the problem with that film is the opposite, that too much of the love of that film came from idiots who appreciated it only for the violence and the "hey, you can be really cool by being an anti-social counter culturalist!" theme, without any understanding whatsoever as to why the gentlemen in Project Mayhem were anti-social counter-culturalists to begin with.

If there is someone here who can try to explain the appeal of Scarface, I'd love to hear it, like I said, especially in reference to hip hop culture, because I cannot go anywhere without seeing some "urban youth" wearing a Scarface shirt.

I fucking hated "The Pianist". It bored me senseless, could wait for it to end. I cannot not understand why the critics went nuts for it.

And can someone explain the appeal of "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"? It was just fucking shit.

And can someone explain the appeal of "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"? It was just fucking shit.

I personally love Lock Stock, but it seems with most things British, it's either something you get into completely, or just draw a blank as to why it's any good.

And I share the Kingdom of Heaven dislike. Not sure if it's 'loved' by many, but it was just a mess. Jeremy Irons was wasted in his role.

The Wedding Crashers

All of the Tarantino movies that I've seen (haven't seen them all, but the ones that I've seen I haven't liked in the slightest)

All of the Kevin Smith movies that I've seen (haven't seen them all, but the ones that I've seen I haven't liked in the slightest)

All of the Batman movies

If there is someone here who can try to explain the appeal of Scarface, I'd love to hear it, like I said, especially in reference to hip hop culture, because I cannot go anywhere without seeing some "urban youth" wearing a Scarface shirt.

I'm surprised that I'm the first one to try and explain this as maybe people don't understand why we "get" Scarface.

I've been asked this plenty of times and I think its because its a gangster version of a rags to riches story that anyone who grew up as a minority or poor can relate to on some level.

Tony is an illegal immigrant who came with literally the clothes on his back and was able to "earn" himself a huge empire which collapsed to his own selfishness and greed. The lesson most of us get out of it is...you can do it too, just don't indulge in excess to the point you end up like Scarface.

Rappers love it because Tony is "tough" in that he doesn't take any crap from anyone (especially since he doesn't have an intimidating stature) and is true to himself. Also, since most rappers go into it to basically make a ton of money without "selling out" and the rags to riches story of Scarface is akin to their goals.

Add in the fact that it was VERY edgy for its time (most F bombs in a single film until the South Park movie broke the record & a level of violence that caused protests in 83) and you have whats essentially a cult classic that has expanded to a culturally iconic film.

Plus the movie is VERY quotable...

Dames

Napolean Dynamite...everyone I'm with cracks up the entire time, and I feel like I'm forcing the laughs.

Get new friends. Seriously.

I cannot see what people see in Tony Montana, he's a total jerk from beginning to end, and the way hip hop culture adores him baffles me.

You have to admit, he had some family values.

Guest Princess Leena

I also really hated Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing funny at all. And many friends think it's great. But, I'm like that with 90% of intentional comedies. They do nothing for me.

Caddyshack. I love Bill Murray, but why this is seen as some sort of high point of 80's sex comedies? Didn't make me laugh once.

Agreed here. I saw it a few years ago just ready to love every second of it and it left me completely underwhelmed and disappointed. Granted, Dangerfield and Chase got some chuckles out of me but overall the movie was a bore. And for as quotable as many say it is, I can only remember a couple lines.

I'm surprised that I'm the first one to try and explain this as maybe people don't understand why we "get" Scarface.

I've been asked this plenty of times and I think its because its a gangster version of a rags to riches story that anyone who grew up as a minority or poor can relate to on some level.

Tony is an illegal immigrant who came with literally the clothes on his back and was able to "earn" himself a huge empire which collapsed to his own selfishness and greed. The lesson most of us get out of it is...you can do it too, just don't indulge in excess to the point you end up like Scarface.

Rappers love it because Tony is "tough" in that he doesn't take any crap from anyone (especially since he doesn't have an intimidating stature) and is true to himself. Also, since most rappers go into it to basically make a ton of money without "selling out" and the rags to riches story of Scarface is akin to their goals.

Add in the fact that it was VERY edgy for its time (most F bombs in a single film until the South Park movie broke the record & a level of violence that caused protests in 83) and you have whats essentially a cult classic that has expanded to a culturally iconic film.

Dames

I guess I understand it a little better, but I still don't "get it", I guess. The impression I get looking at the shirts and such I see is that most seem to think Tony is a hero of some sort, whereas to me the movie came off as a cautionary tale(the screenplay was written by Oliver Stone if I recall correctly). And while Tonby may be true to himself, Tony's true self is a total jerk. He's greedy and selfish. I dunno, somehow if one were to pick a tragic "hero" I'd be more willing to look to a Jim Kelly type, but then I'm way out of the mainstream...

Guest Coffey

Well, don't forget that Tony was also from Cuba, under the reign of Fidel Castro and he didn't have the best of childhoods. He did whatever it took to get into America and that sent him down the wrong path. Tony & Manny had to kill Rebenga to get green cards. Manny is the one that got them that opportunity. From there, he did whatever it took to get a leg up, even if it was illegal. He was fed up busting his ass for nothing washing dishes. He always looked out for himself and his friends and family. Eventually though, due to drugs, stress and just general craziness, things slipped away from him. He got caught up in "the game" so to speak.

He had the money, power & the girl. He lost them all. However, he didn't have any of them to begin with and he did achieve them all before he lost control.

Dames

I guess I understand it a little better, but I still don't "get it", I guess. The impression I get looking at the shirts and such I see is that most seem to think Tony is a hero of some sort, whereas to me the movie came off as a cautionary tale(the screenplay was written by Oliver Stone if I recall correctly). And while Tonby may be true to himself, Tony's true self is a total jerk. He's greedy and selfish. I dunno, somehow if one were to pick a tragic "hero" I'd be more willing to look to a Jim Kelly type, but then I'm way out of the mainstream...

Take Hamlet or MacBeth, or most of Shakespeare's protagonists. I mean none of them are what you'd call 'good guys' (or in MacBeth's case, he's a really terrible person), but they all have traits that anyone can identify with that led to their downfall. Same goes for Tony in Scarface. People can identify with the things he wants to achieve. I agree that 'cautionary tale' is a good way to put it. I think however, that the people who think 'yo that Tony is one awesome muthafucker' and view him as a hero completely miss the point of the film, and probably have some issues.

I think the movie's really well done though. It is flawed, but well done.

All of the Batman movies
Those aren't movies that 'everyone loves.' 'Batman Begins' is pretty damn propular, but it's new still. The first 2, people are pretty divided on. 3 and 4, everyone hates.

And I share the Kingdom of Heaven dislike. Not sure if it's 'loved' by many, but it was just a mess. Jeremy Irons was wasted in his role.
That movie was apparently completely ruined by the studio cut. The directors cut is supposedly great.

King Kong didnt do anything for me and all my friends where baffled by it, Kong looked pretty but other than that i thought it sucked.

Also i dont see what people see in Napoleon Dynamite, I enjoy a good comedy and spoof and what nots but that movie was just horrid, i waited till it was on HBO and then I had to watch it in pieces cuz i couldnt sit through it.

See, I wouldn't call Tony a total jerk.

He was clearly a very loving brother and a good friend...it wasn't until his rage, feelings of inadequacy and jealousy took over thanks to Cocaine (a hell of a drug) that he went buck wild and burned all of his bridges.

He gave his mom and his sister some money to try and help them out (and to brag about finally making it a bit) and basically took Manny under his wing and made him a pretty penny as well.

And he didn't screw over anyone that he didn't think had it coming to them until he was high off of a MOUNTAIN of Cocaine.

Dames

I hate "The Crow". This is simply one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Everyone I know (except my wife) loves this flick and I just despise it. Additionally, I don't understand why they like it.

I also dislike "12 Monkeys". The entire time I was watching the movie, I was thinking I almost liked it, then the end just made me pissed off. Bad, bad movie.

All of the Batman movies
Those aren't movies that 'everyone loves.' 'Batman Begins' is pretty damn propular, but it's new still. The first 2, people are pretty divided on. 3 and 4, everyone hates.

Yeah, true ... but I really didn't know how many there were, and wanted to make sure my bases were covered.

By that same logic, though, people shouldn't be referencing Napolean Dynomite, since it seems that there's a lot of people that didn't like it at all.

Guest Coffey
I hate "The Crow". This is simply one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Everyone I know (except my wife) loves this flick and I just despise it. Additionally, I don't understand why they like it.

I bought the Crow on DVD because I think Top Dollar is one of the best bad guys I've ever seen. He just LOOKS like an asshole. I like the characters of the movie and the cheesy storyline behind the movie. It's not the best acted and the action scenes leave a lot to be desired but I think characters are developed well and the movie has a good soundtrack.

A Beautiful Mind

American Beauty-It's really just good actors working with a mediocre script. Plus, there were so many bad indie movie of the week imitators that came after it

Equilibrium-This is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. A lot of people on the internet went on and on about how it was better than The Matrix, and that the director was going to be huge. To everyone who thought that, or still thinks that: Ultraviolet says hi.

In the Horror Spectrum

Zombi 2

Ringu

The Eye

Cannibal Holocaust

Ju-On

Actually, a lot of Asian horror movies I just can't get into. Horror fans seem to love them, as do asian cinephiles and hipsters, but I think all of that has to do with the unfortunate modern stigma that says "It ain't from Hollywood, so it's got to be good!". Cannibal Hoocaust and Zombi 2 falls into the "Most people probably like them because they're from the 70's and/or 80's and are from Italy" problem. Besides, Gates of Hell and The Beyond are better Fulci movies, and Dellemorte Dellemore (Cemetary Man) is infinately better than Zombi 2 will ever be. Basically, just because a movie is from Italy and has some great gore does not make it a classic.

Re: The Crow

The reason most people love it is because Draven was given a second chance. He was a victim through-and-through, and came back from death to seek revenge against those that wronged him and his fiancée and were destroying his city. Is it any wonder why this film is HUGE with the "goth" crowd? Persecution, isolation, lost love...it's a gothic action flick. Well-acted by the majority of the cast, and though the movie left out the big question that the comics had (is Draven doing the RIGHT thing or just what he thinks is right), it's still pretty well-made. O'Barr wrote the comic after losing his wife - the one person in his entire life he ever felt loved him - so the pain of her loss comes through in spades. Far and away the most "true" comic flick to date, considering very little was changed (the only thing that was blatantly changed was Eric's occupation: in the comic, he was a construction worker, though it was never flat-out said he was).

Re: Zombie/Zombi 2 (since they're the same)

The love for this movie comes from the gore, hands-down. It's an all-out zombie gorefest, and Fulci throws in his usual trademark of never letting any major gore scene go unnoticed.

Re: 12 Monkeys

How did you hate the ending? It was a decent little showing of man's destructive nature. To quote another movie, Terminator 2, "it's in [our] nature to destroy [our]selves." One big circle, a way of saying that the future cannot be prevented and that destiny must take its course.

Re: Batman Begins

I can see how some can say it's boring. There are a couple of scenes I felt Bale didn't quite use the charm of Wayne in, but that was AS Wayne and not as Batman. As Batman he fit the character perfectly, though as Wayne he was just a nicer, more sincere version of Patrick Bateman. Bale's forever going to be Bateman, really, though sometimes I wish everybody would remember him as Jack Slater (Newsies represent).

I'm not feeling the Gladiator hate. I love that movie.

Apocalypse Now... Now, that's a boring movie. Especially the Redux version. Maybe the shorter version comes across better, but I have no desire to find out. I liked a lot less than 40 minutes of that film.

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks.

Zombie 2 has the single most outsanding "Run bitch, run!" scene in it. This old, decrepit zombie crawls slowly out of the ground, and she just screams, and screams, and screams for like literally HALF A MINUTE. I mean, run, crawl do something! She just sits there until it s-l-o-w-l-y crawls up to her and squishes her head.

Zombie 2 does have ZOMBIE VS. SHARK, but it's really pretty terrible. Gates of hell is so much better, and way gorier to boot.

The Crow, i just LURVED when it first came out, I think I was about 15. It had a great soundtrack, and he was badass looking, and it's so tragic and creepy and ironic that Brandon Lee died while making it.

I saw it again when I was maybe 20, and just had to laugh at myself. It's really a pretty corny, cheesy movie. Brandon Lee did well, but scenes like him playing his guitar on the top of the building in the middle of the night? Just too 'Ann Rice' and teenage angst to not be unintentional comedy.

EDIT: I LOVED the 40-yo virgin. I think it's the funniest movie I've seen in ages. I may have already been biased, since Catherine Keener is my favorite actress, and I think Steve Carrell, and the guy from Freaks & Geeks are very funny.

One thing, though. Don't watch the unrated version. It's just a bunch of scenes that they decided wisely to cut. I don't think they added anything at all to an already somewhat overlong movie.

I think last year was a generally shitty year for movies, though. I wasn't impressed by many of the critically hailed movies, though I'm watching GN&GL tonight, and I haven't seen Brokeback yet. (everyone I know who's seen it has liked it, though. One friend said it was the most visually beautiful movie he'd ever seen, though he had to look away during the pup tent scene, heh.)

Dames, I gotta admit you did put the fascination with Scarface into an insightful perspective. However, I personally can't stand the film for many reasons but that's besides the point. As far as Napoleon Dynamite goes, other than the dance scene it is one of the most non-sensical and unfunny films ever made.

Equilibrium-This is one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. A lot of people on the internet went on and on about how it was better than The Matrix, and that the director was going to be huge. To everyone who thought that, or still thinks that: Ultraviolet says hi

I cannot believe you're using Ultraviolet in comparison to Equilibrium. That simply boggles the mind.

I'll say upfront that I only watched this movie recently. I knew nothing of how it was in somewhat of a feud with The Matrix. All I knew was that one, it was Christian Bale, and two, my one friend - who is a really amazing vidder - created several music videos to it. Through her videos, she made Queen of the Damned look good, alright? Even convinced me to see American Psycho (which I will forever associate with "Closer" and Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax")

Anyway. Equilibrium had some cheesy fight scenes, but the overall theme was about a man's struggle to be... human, and those he must overcome to accomplish this. The idea of a drug able to rid one entirely of emotion was interesting and eerily close to today. I highly doubt it's a coincidence that the name of the drug, Prozium, is strikingly similar to Prozac, or that all of the restricted things that heighten a person's emotions were all very nostalgic items, many looking from the 50s and 60s.

It's just a movie that you either get or don't, I suppose.

No, you can get it and just not get that much enjoyment out of watching Christian Bale clench his jaw (indicating INTENSE emotions striving to BREAK FREE!), then a bunch of incredibly cheesy fight scenes.

Neither the plot of the Matrix or Equilibrium is especially impressive or new to anyone who's read more than 2 sci-fi books, not that I'm saying that's a particularly awful thing.

And anyone who's used Prozac will tell you it doesn't eliminate emotion. That's retarded. It corrects a chemical imbalance in your brain, and helps restore you to how you used to be.

I also really hated Napoleon Dynamite. Nothing funny at all.

Wow...a stuck up person doesn't like a movie that makes fun of stuck-up people. Shocking.

EDIT: I LOVED the 40-yo virgin. I think it's the funniest movie I've seen in ages. I may have already been biased, since Catherine Keener is my favorite actress, and I think Steve Carrell, and the guy from Freaks & Geeks are very funny.

One thing, though. Don't watch the unrated version. It's just a bunch of scenes that they decided wisely to cut. I don't think they added anything at all to an already somewhat overlong movie.

Yeah, the unrated is disappointing. The only addition I liked was the Gandhi scene.

Lost in Translation. I wouldn't say I hated it, but after hearing people rave about it, I was let down when I saw it.

I thought there were a lot of funny parts in Napoleon Dynamite, but after watching it once, I still have no desire to ever watch the entire movie over again.