TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

The Red Sox just made an unbelievable 3-1 comeback to make it to the World Series and all Bill Simmons' column consisted of was a collection of emails expressing shock that JD Drew hit a grand slam in Game 6. Talk about losing your edge.

Why even bother? Just take some time off to be with your pregnant wife and quit mailing in these insulting columns.

His columns have gotten kind of lame in the past two or three months but for some reason, I'm really looking forward to his interview with Charles Barkley on his podcast this week.

So I watched E:60 again last night and it came off even more scripted than last weeks. Especially the Lisa Saulter/Michael Smith "argument" about Chad Johnson's parenting skills.

And anyone see Steve Young just go off on Mike Greenberg on Monday about Manning vs Brady?

Yeah, Young (who looked pretty irritated with Stu Scott after the Monday night game) as well as Phil Simms seemed insulted that anyone would raise that question.

OK...

When Barbaro breaks his leg it's a year-long story.

When George Washington breaks his leg it's a 3-second mention while they're cutting to the clip of Curlin winning the race.

That just seems wrong.

And the way they did it was just not right. I really don't like horse racing.

Anyone watch Around the Horn on Thursday? Woody and Jay were in the same room for showdown and it ended with Woddy attacking Jay and trying to kiss him. Funny as hell.

When Barbaro breaks his leg it's a year-long story.

When George Washington breaks his leg it's a 3-second mention while they're cutting to the clip of Curlin winning the race.

That just seems wrong.

Well Barbaro was going for the Triple Crown and was a national story. Chances are most of America has no idea who GW the horse was, and if any money was going his way from non racing afficiandos it was probably hunch bets based on the name.

Currently on ESPN - bowling on lanes set up in the infield of Minute Maid Park. Yeah, 'cause that event needs a forty thousand seat venue to contain it.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I thought they were doing a big bowling thing at Miller Park, too.

Last week, around Monday or Tuesday, I turned on ESPNews in the morning before I went to work, and their top story was ridiculous. Apparently, analysis of the upcoming Game 1 of the World Series was more important than the Southern California wildfires.

Last week, around Monday or Tuesday, I turned on ESPNews in the morning before I went to work, and their top story was ridiculous. Apparently, analysis of the upcoming Game 1 of the World Series was more important than the Southern California wildfires.

Why would you go to a sports news channel and be surprised that the top story was about sports?

Sigh.

The Hot List leads with the story of Girardi being offered the Yankees job. They follow by discussing A-Rod opting out of his contract and the possibility of Torre ending up in LA. After exhausting these stories, they mention that the Sox won the World Series yesterday. Way to have your priorities straight.

Oh, and then they cut away from the show for a good 20 minutes to listen in on Michael Kay discussing the ramifications of A-Rod and Girardi on the Yankees.

Sigh.

The Hot List leads with the story of Girardi being offered the Yankees job. They follow by discussing A-Rod opting out of his contract and the possibility of Torre ending up in LA. After exhausting these stories, they mention that the Sox won the World Series yesterday. Way to have your priorities straight.

Come on, the World Series was over HOURS ago. Almost a whole DAY. Who's expected to remember anything that happened that long ago?

Rick Reilly is going to be joining ESPN starting in June of 2008. Now we will be hearing the Simmons fans bashing the Reilly fans and vice-versa.

I've been down on Ja Adande lately as he's been pretty awful on PTI but him name dropping Lindsey Dawn Mckenzie today on Around The horn was gold.

Yeesh, I usually really enjoy Bill Simmons, but I couldn't even get through this column this week. When you have to add a needless story about your daughter wondering when the team is going to "celebrate", you don't have much of a column.

Yeesh, I usually really enjoy Bill Simmons, but I couldn't even get through this column this week. When you have to add a needless story about your daughter wondering when the team is going to "celebrate", you don't have much of a column.

I agree. Simmons really phoned it in this postseason.

I can't wait for the Packers vs. Patriots Superbowl so we can watch ESPN's head explode in a jizztastic explusion of pure 24/7 coverage pleasure.

I've been off the Bill Simmons bandwagon lately, but I thought yesterday's column was the first time all season that he caught the mood and flavor of this year's Red Sox team. The stuff about his daughter felt tacked on, but he was finally able to explain that this year's team wasn't about goofy curses or beating the Yankees. It was the culmination of a talented front office piecing together a team they envisioned fiver years ago when they took over.

This sort of thing might not mean anything to a non-Boston fan, but what they put together this year was quite amazing to watch and he was finally able to acknowledge that. For most of the year, he phoned in Red Sox articles regurgitating whatever the typical WEEI caller was saying at the time and playing the easy angles (OMG JD Drew sucks!).

Apparently the problem in Dever and the reason they aren't winning is Dre Bly and Champ Bailey.

Because they gave up a touchdown each. Because great corners never do that. Ever.

Apparently the problem in Dever and the reason they aren't winning is Dre Bly and Champ Bailey.

Because they gave up a touchdown each. Because great corners never do that. Ever.

Well, not the white ones.

Has there ever been a great white corner?

I've been off the Bill Simmons bandwagon lately, but I thought yesterday's column was the first time all season that he caught the mood and flavor of this year's Red Sox team. The stuff about his daughter felt tacked on, but he was finally able to explain that this year's team wasn't about goofy curses or beating the Yankees. It was the culmination of a talented front office piecing together a team they envisioned fiver years ago when they took over.

This sort of thing might not mean anything to a non-Boston fan, but what they put together this year was quite amazing to watch and he was finally able to acknowledge that. For most of the year, he phoned in Red Sox articles regurgitating whatever the typical WEEI caller was saying at the time and playing the easy angles (OMG JD Drew sucks!).

I really enjoyed yesterday's article as well. Best Simmons column I've read in a while and the daughter stuff, while forced, wasn't really that big of a part of the article. It just seems like the editors were like "Bill, good stuff, just tack on a sentimental ending and it's gold!"