TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

ESPN sucks, so do thread closers

I'd like to see the women's college champ play the national men's high school champ.

The men's high school champ would squash them.

If Artie Lange can come close to beating a star in the women's college game one on one, a high school champ would easily mash out a women's college champ.

I'll respectfully disagree and bow out of it. I can see a boy's high school team beating UConn or Tennessee, but I don't see it as a lock, and I certainly don't see it as a squash.

I tend to look at a game between the women's college champions and the boys high school champions the same way I look at a game between the Nuggets and the Pistons: if they're hitting their shots, they can win. If they're not, they're probably going to get crushed. But, again, I fail to see what exactly that proves. It doesn't prove that women's basketball is bad, and it certainly doesn't prove that women can't play. The only thing it proves is that males are physically larger, stronger and faster than females on average.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm absolutely saying that womens' sports are an illegitimate joke. I'm not saying they don't have a right to play them, and I'm not saying they don't have the right to be on tv. I'm saying they suck and that outside of the Citrus Niche and relatives of the players, no one in their right mind watches the shit. Remember Lisa Leslie missing a wide-open dunk? I sure do. That's womens' sports in a nutshell to me. A joke.

Its fucking retarded to think all women's sports are a joke. They are not more of a joke than mens sports. Hell, you can go one level more and state that we are all watching grown ups playing kid games. Most men on the same level as the women would win because they would score at random from the dunk because females would not be able to guard against it. It isn't saying much. It be like saying I bet my cobra mustang would win a drag race against a daewoo.

College Women's BB is fun to watch and gets just about as much(sometimes more) ratings than some mens sports. More people watch the women's final 4 and finals last year than the NHL finals. Hell the NHL finals lost a ratings battle to the food network's "How to build a better burger"

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Since you're using ratings as a point of a poor argument, how did the women's college final four do compared to the men's final four? the NCAA men's regular season? NFL preseason? The NBA Draft lottery? The Westminister Dog Show? The Winter Olympics?

Saying the NHL gets bad ratings in no way justifies Women's Basketball getting a bunch of face time on a national sports network when the vast, vast majority of the sports-viewing public couldn't give a shit.

The first part of your post goes further to reinforce my whole point. Women are inferior athletes, and therefore play an inferior sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acL5v12lVho

OH MY!

How long did it take for a woman, playing at the highest level of her game, in her physical prime, who was (I guess) considered to be the best in her sport at her position, to do what even the last guy on the Knicks' bench can do with ease?

I'd still like to know why the women's championship game was moved from the Sunday between the Final Four and Championship Game to the day after the men's title game? Was it to get it out of the "shadow" of the men's events? Fuck that.

When it was on Sundays I would have it as b/g noise while working on other things as it helped bridge the men's games, but once they moved it to Tuesday, well, after Monday night the college basketball load has been blown and I don't give a shit anymore

I'm wonder how (if) that's affected the ratings

Since you're using ratings as a point of a poor argument, how did the women's college final four do compared to the men's final four? the NCAA men's regular season? NFL preseason? The NBA Draft lottery? The Westminister Dog Show? The Winter Olympics?

Not to make this go much further but....

Mens final 4 did much better, Women's final 4 scored much higher than 90% of the games, few preseason games get any worthwhile numbers, NBA lottery did worse(trend of the league for its ratings to keep falling), Final 4 does better numbers than USA's highest show, RAW. And the top winter Olympic Sport is Women's figure skating.

I am not saying that it should be on the level of the NFL but for a few hours as the top story of ESPN.com is not a bad thing. People talk about BOTH turneys so why should the sport station not cover the sports news? I rather see that than that stupid greatest highlight bullshit. Or even worse, Whose Now?

I am not saying that it should be on the level of the NFL but for a few hours as the top story of ESPN.com is not a bad thing. People talk about BOTH turneys so why should the sport station not cover the sports news? I rather see that than that stupid greatest highlight bullshit. Or even worse, Whose Now?

Just a small point since your post was addressing ratings and what should receive coverage, but I recently read an article that stated those Who's Now segments were the highest rated on the station last year.

I've seen men miss wide open dunks plenty of times in the NBA.

Candace Parker did dunk on a Player on the Tennessee Men's Team who's 5 inches taller than her in a one on one game.

I mean the Women's game is good, but there's no middle of the pack teams. Either you're great or you're horrible

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Men miss dunks, too, but they also hit them. Like, more than one or two.

I detest women's basketball. Completely detest it. That's why I dont watch it. If other people want to watch it, fine. If it does enough ratings to be on TV, fine. But god... I hate it. Any of the 100 best high school teams in the country could beat the women's national champion in any given year.

I think one of the main problems (at least with the women's college game) is that it's the same damn teams at the top every year. Many fans get tired of the same 'ol same 'ol (unless it's a team they're rooting for of course); it's way more magnified when you've got Tennesee and UConn ruling women's basketball for a good 15 years.

I love to watch a well played game of women's college basketball. Rarley can a woman be that mutch more physically and athletically dominate over other women athletes, so it becomes a game of well executed plays. Of course I'm biased because growing up, my high school girls team was winning sectionals while the boys got 2 or 3 wins a season. Plus I worked for the women's team at Kent State. Still, I could still give a fuck about the WNBA.

The problem I have with women's college hoops is that 90% of the players have no discernible athletic ability at all, and the ones that can actually dribble with both hands and execute a simple no look pass are hailed as being Jordanesque. Half of the girls that are over 6 feet tall move like they're in quicksand, and a bunch of the guards just jack up shots from 4 feet behind the 3 point line because they can't jump or drive to the hoop. It's even more noticable when you see a 5 foot point guard running end to end while the defense looks winded at the half court line.

I couldn't stomach watching an NBA where the average big man was an approximation of Jerome James and the bulk of the guards had Kyle Korver or JJ Redick's great shooting/suck at everything else skillset and that's pretty much what major DI women's hoops looks like, and the WNBA is only slightly better. I actually went to a Liberty game years ago as a youth counselor and lost count at about 20 blown wide open layups somewhere in the 3rd quarter. For a game whose hype is built on it allegedly being fundamentally sound, some 8th grade teams I've seen are more likely to make shots that the WNBA "superstars" miss on a regular basis.

Apparently "TEAM LOGO" finished last in the NL East the previous year with a record of XX-XX. Found that out watching the Mets-Braves today.

That Jemele Hill is getting entirely too much time on ESPN airwaves. They should just skip Rome Is Burning instead of having her host and blatantly read everything off of a teleprompter with no emotion.

That Jemele Hill is getting entirely too much time on ESPN airwaves. They should just skip Rome Is Burning instead of having her host and blatantly read everything off of a teleprompter with no emotion.

I never agree with a word she says. She's as bad as Amy Lawrence. When she presents an opinion it sounds like she's laying it out as fact. That and I see her on First Take and she pulls the "Skip if you don't agree with me I'm going to make fun of you and make you sound like an idiot." And of course that dweeb Jay Crawford joins in on it.

Hill is the shits. It's like Rome faxed in his takes and had her read them for him. I happened to take a late lunch and was pleased that RiB would be on until that fatass robot showed up on my screen. Even The Forum sucked w/ her running it.

Jemele Hill signing with ESPN was a big deal for some reason. I find her awful. She's not quite pulling in Bill Simmons level mega-bucks but she's making serious bank. They need to get their money's worth.

I don't hate women's sports, I like softball.......as for women's basketball? Not so much of a fan.

Anyway ESPN really needs to get their uncool white guys(Scott Van Pelt, Neil Everett, etc.) and Stuart Scott to tone down trying to be funny during highlights.

It was absurd the other day when a Rockets highlight screeched to a halt because they were doing an impersonation of Dikiembe Mutumbo.

I really wish they'd just actually listen to their ombudsman.

I have to change the channel whenever she shows up. I think I hate her more than I hate Mike Greenberg, and I REALLY hate Mike Greenberg.

Guest (Loggins Name)

Because it's not as if he's known for his decisive offseasons. If Johnnie Cochran were still alive, and a Bears or Vikings fan, he would probably say "I cannot smile until he files."

Oh, and as for calling him Football Clemens, worry not: the real one has proven himself to be such a monumental asswipe that using the term on Favre would be inaccurate and really mean.

I don't watch ESPN (for reasons like this), but if he hasn't filed retirement papers, I think it's a valid point for discussion. Not that I actually want to watch and listen to it. Oh no.