TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

ESPN MLB 2k6

Anyone else own this game or play it yet? I actually think that the game is pretty cool. The swinging feature is pretty interesting, and takes awhile to figure out. What I liked the best about the game is that it is actually hard to beat the computer. I like this compared to other games where you can put the game in and win the first game 7-2. I actually lost my first couple of games, and when I finally won a game I was proud of myself.

It's frozen a couple times on my Xbox, once in the bottom of the ninth.

The game isn't bad once you get past the learning curves in terms of the hitting, pitching and fielding. I'm digging the idea of having to take a step and time the pitch before hitting (over pushing a button at the right time), and the new pitching mechanic isn't bad, though I'd wish the stamina would be worked over a little bit more. Starters shouldn't be losing 3 points for a fastball, and a middle/late reliever shouldn't have the gas of a starter.

Fielding, however, is a complete pain in the ass. If 2K is going to release a patch, I want that and the commentary fixed. Someone tell Jon Morgan that there wasn't a strike last year, and people did have more then no homers and RBIs.

I CAN NOT stand the new controls. Batting to me is such a pain in the ass. I just liked pressing the A button and just timing the swing. Pressing back on the right thumbstick and pressing forward is just pointless, I really don't think it adds anything differant than just making hitting a pain and who thought it was a good idea to put bunting on the right thumbstick as well? I don't know about you guys but I've been actidently bunting because I didn't pull the right thumbstick further enough and when I push the thumbstick up, I bunt. I liked having bunt on anohter button.

Fielding...SUCKS! The fact that the computer can't put the cloest fielder to a hit ball after it was just hit is just weak programming. For example, the ball is hit towards the second baseman. Its low enough to where if the second baseman dives, he could stop it. Instead the computer has decided the best fielder to get the ball....is the right fielder and I don't have enough time to switch over to closest fielder to get the ball.

Pitching is ok. Something new to get used to, but its ok.

What the hell do I do when a coach comes out and aruges with an umpire? That confused me when that happen.

Guest Princess Leena

I concur with using the right stick when batting. It's a bad idea. Mostly because the analog sticks will always fuck up, go off-center, etc... It ends up being a huge pain in the ass.

'Tis why I've stuck with MVP, for now. Plus, I have a huge dynasty in that.

I concur with using the right stick when batting. It's a bad idea. Mostly because the analog sticks will always fuck up, go off-center, etc... It ends up being a huge pain in the ass.

Didn't MVP do the same thing with the analog stick?

Didn't MVP do the same thing with the analog stick?

You could use the analog stick to pick a swing (up for a flyball, left/right to pull it, etc.), but you pressed a button to actually swing. I'll probably rent The Show since I have a PS2 to see how it is or I can just pick up MVP '05 cheap.

Guest Princess Leena

MVP '05 did, but you can turn it off.

I play '04, anyway.

I didn't like the game at first (compared to last year's version) but now that I'm used to it, I enjoy it.

I'll have to agree with the fact that fielding is flat out terrible. I can't count how many times I could have an easy ground out to the second baseman pass by him for a single. I've also dropped a few fly balls.

I tried using the "swing stick" and I hated it, so I switched back to classic, and it's great. Seems like they also toned down the super-human defensive plays from last year, which is good to see. Inside Edge is also a cool new feature.

What the hell do I do when a coach comes out and aruges with an umpire? That confused me when that happen.

You just tap X (on PS2) rapidly. After you do this, your team will get a morale boost for an inning or so. However, if your manager gets overly agressive, the umpire will toss you, and that fucks you over for the rest of the game because you no longer have the ability to pinch hit, switch pitchers, etc.

Guest Ether

Are there any other current MLB games out for XBox other than this one? I'm considering buying one, but this is the only one available as far as I can tell.

No other MLB baseball games on XBox. 2K series has the exclusive license now, so unless Microsoft itself decides to release a game, it'll be slim pickings for a while. I'm still playing MVP 05' due to this.

Are there any other current MLB games out for XBox other than this one? I'm considering buying one, but this is the only one available as far as I can tell.

Only 2K and 1st party developers can make MLB games, so it's not as nasty as the NFL deal, but Microsoft didn't have a strong baseball game as I recall

I heard about MVP getting locked out due to the exclusive license, and I just assumed that there was only one baseball game out for PS2, so I bought 2K6. What a huge mistake. I hate the pitching controls on this game. You can barely aim your pitches to begin with, and then if you have a runner on base, every pitch out of the strike zone is a wild pitch.

I dug through the difficulty menu looking for a wild pitch or catcher adjustment, but there just isn't one. Supposedly, moving the catcher's supposed to take care of it, but I can throw a pitch that would normally be just out of the zone in the direction where the catcher is, and it goes outside the fucking batter's box. My strategy with a runner on has actually devolved to "throw a fastball right down the center of the plate every time". It's fucking awful.

Oh, and then there's the "payoff pitch" thing where if you hit the zone you're aiming for, the pitcher's stats go up, and if you don't, they go down. Well, the problem is that the pitchers have such awful control that they almost never hit the zone. When I throw a pitch softly down and away, and it ends up on the upper right corner, I really don't know what I'm supposed to differently.

Interestingly though, I haven't had much problem with the fielding control, especially in the infield. The only thing that's annoying is when you have someone run out to the wall, only they run into the wall, and basically get knocked unconscious, leaving the hitter time to go for an inside-the-park HR. That only happens rarely though.