TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UZI Suicide

New TOOL single - Vicarious

Well it sounds like Tool...it's alright. I don't think it holds a candle to "H" or "Schism".

But seriously what the fuck do i know about rock music. nothing.

Tool sucks.

(waits for the backlash for THAT comment)

I do like some songs by A Perfect Circle though.

The Czech Republic gimmick infringement continues.

Tool doesn't suck at all. With the musicians in the band its basically impossible. You may not like them, or they may not be your specific type of music, but anyone with a modicum of taste or ability to tell if someone is good at what they do, can recognize that Tool, is filled to the brim with at the very least talent. The fans can be overbearing, Maynard's ridiculous obsession with privacy, secrecy, and outright lies, can be a bit of a turn-off. But none of that takes away from their music... the drumming alone is enough for you to accept that they are a good band, possibly one you can't get into, but not a band that by any definition "sucks"

You dont have to like tool...but pretending that theyve mysteriously 'dissappeared' is pretty dumb. Thats the comment I hear/read lately and laugh at..."dar, they still around?"

You dont have to like tool...but pretending that theyve mysteriously 'dissappeared' is pretty dumb. Thats the comment I hear/read lately and laugh at..."dar, they still around?"

honestly. for all i know, and really, all i CARE, tool coulda broke up 6 years ago. seriously. sometimes people really don't care about shitty music. it doesn't make them a snob. they just concern themselves with more important issues.

One would think that the word "TOOL" in the thread title would tip you off to the fact that there's a high probability of the band being discussed in this thread, thus allowing you to skip it and move onto "more important issues".

I guess that makes too much sense though.

One would think that the word "TOOL" in the thread title would tip you off to the fact that there's a high probability of the band being discussed in this thread, thus allowing you to skip it and move onto "more important issues".

you're wrong.

i did originally click on the thread to learn something. it was snuffbox, who on his mighty high horse, was trying to proclaim that anyone who didn't know that tool was still around is an idiot. i merely defended that segment of musical society by saying there are plenty of well rounded musical listeners who probably don't know about tool. or care. and that they shouldn't be critisised because they don't care about the same band that snuffbox seemingly holds so dear.

you're wrong.

i did originally click on the thread to learn something. it was snuffbox, who on his mighty high horse, was trying to proclaim that anyone who didn't know that tool was still around is an idiot. i merely defended that segment of musical society by saying there are plenty of well rounded musical listeners who probably don't know about tool. or care. and that they shouldn't be critisised because they don't care about the same band that snuffbox seemingly holds so dear.

Well, that's fair.

Tool doesn't suck at all. With the musicians in the band its basically impossible. You may not like them, or they may not be your specific type of music, but anyone with a modicum of taste or ability to tell if someone is good at what they do, can recognize that Tool, is filled to the brim with at the very least talent. The fans can be overbearing, Maynard's ridiculous obsession with privacy, secrecy, and outright lies, can be a bit of a turn-off. But none of that takes away from their music... the drumming alone is enough for you to accept that they are a good band, possibly one you can't get into, but not a band that by any definition "sucks"

The drumming is the only standout piece of the entire ensemble. Maynard does have a unique voice, but its pretty grating at times. Adam and Justin are fucking jokes on guitar and bass, respectively, in that the only thing they can really do is play in odd time signatures. Wow...so can a great portion of underground Japanese thrash bands. Most of them suck, too. Want to hear a band that plays in odd time signatures and DOES show that they can play some decently complex stuff while also being somewhat simple? Mastodon. And, of course, every mathcore band ever, most notably Dillinger Escape Plan (but they're more of a niche band than anything else).

And, of course, there's the plethora of sesquipedalian words in your average Tool song's lyrics (that's a $5 word AND a $12 bonus word, kiddies) that make their fans believe that Maynard is some deep poet writing about every little aspect of life and faith and politics all in the same song...when he's really talking about fisting. I guess that's sorta Maynard's lyrical charm, though, that he can talk about something so vaguely that it seems as if he's using it in a metaphorical sense when he's really not.

That said, I like Tool. They're pretty good. I just hate people that cream themselves over Tool as if they were the fucking Beatles or something. It's one thing to have a favorite band, it's another thing to say they're the greatest band ever. I love The Misfits. I love Slayer. I love Zombie Apocalypse. I love SOD. Would I put ANY of them on par with The Beatles or even Chuck Berry? No. Well, maybe The Misfits, but that's another conversation.

As to the new single...I heard. 5 times. Today. I'm sick of it already. First time I heard it I thought it wasn't bad; the second time I thought it was pretty damn good; the third time I was singing a little medley of "Die, Die My Darling," "Hybrid Moments," "Descending Angel," and "Teenagers From Mars" in my head; the fourth time I yawned a lot and switched the stations to see if anybody was playing The Scorpions or Bon Jovi or any other 80's band; the fifth time I lit up a smoke, chugged the rest of my bottle of Mountain Dew, and then turned the radio off.

Overplaying of Tool is bad, no matter how new it is. Cool, a band that has a large following that was pretty huge years ago has a new album coming out and their new single's out now. Don't System Of A Down it by overplaying it to the point where I begin to hate all of the band's work as a whole because of it.

i like every tool album i've heard, but i heard "vicarious" on the radio today and holy shit is it awful. the arrangements & feel of the song sound EXACTLY like "schism." i dare somebody to defend the lyrics, trying to make watching death on tv sound all cool and shit ("i like to watch things DIEEEEEEEEE") while acting heady & above it at the same time, like some horror movie that tries to teach you to be kind to women.

the title is horrible too, cause you can instantly tell why they picked it. it's a word that seems sort of sharp and dangerous cause it sounds like "vociferous," but it's this high concept word that deals with identity and feelings and shit.

the song honestly sounds like a group of really talented musicians decided to get together and do a song that makes fun of tool.

Plus half of it is one big metalcore breakdown. I realized that today. I just listened to it, and right after the "solo" (ie. tremolo picking of 4 notes) there's an Unearth-style breakdown...only the drums continue going steady instead of pausing. I find that sorta funny.

Corey I'm not going to quote you, cuz its right above, however...

I have absolutely NO idea why you chose to quote my response in yours... Not once do you actually reply to anything I say, instead you just go off on this huge rambling tirade on how they're being compared to the Beatles and frickin Chuck Berry??? I don't know how saying that they don't suck, somehow makes me compare them to the greatest musicians of all time. Basically my biggest point was they don't "suck" and you agreed with me... after what was the most Bi-Polar response to any post I've seen anywhere on the internet.

Never mind that they've been around for almost 15 years now. Or that MJK seems to constantly be involved in side projects. Or that they've toured very irregularly throughout their career. (No doubt they'll tour to support 10,000 Days, but when's the last time they hit the road? 2002?) Or that they take about five years to make a studio album. Five years.

Their last single, "Schism", was a lengthy progfest that even dedicated modern rock stations flinched at playing with any regularity. Not exactly Top 40 material, or even "46 and 2" or "Sober" or any of Tool's more popular singles. At their peak, Tool catered to a gleefully devoted niche of metal fans, not really bothering with self-promotion other than those kooky music videos - and that peak is long gone.

But why bother with the details, when you can throw out some flacid, misdirected jab at the independent music fans on the site for not waving the banner of a band that hasn't even approached mainstream relevance for ten years running.

2002 was ten years ago?

Are you the poster that said Andre the Giant was closer to 4'10 than 7'4?

I dont plan to buy the cd, probably wont see any of the shows on the tour, and dont particulary care about/for Tool anymore. But the 'Tool? Whom?' comments just get a chuckle out of me.

Yeah, because Tool was just ripping up the music scene in 2002. Lateralus wasn't exactly an industry-shaking event.

It went double platinum, that right there is the definition of mainstream relevance.